is this the warham movie we never got?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d70NE8tn4OI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. Its a Warcraft movie.

Its literally the title of the film.

Come on, user. Get it together.

no, it's the warcraft movie we always asked for done in the way we never wanted

So, opinions about the movie? The orcs are too big and cartoony in the trailers to take them seriously.

I went into it with no knowledge of Warcraft beyond 'its a series of games that I never played'.

Its solid. Not amazing, but solid.

It never quite escapes the gravity well of the fantasy swords and sorcery genre that it is, but it was never going to. So they didn't even try, which was a good decision. Instead of trying to be something they were not, they embraced the fact that its a generic fantasy universe and just rolled with it with a straight face.

The plot is decent enough for what it is. They actually did a couple of things I was not expecting them to do (but probably would have known about in advance if I was more familiar with warcraft lore) and they avoided the obvious pitfalls I was expecting them to do. They never try to do the Lord of the Rings thing, which I just sort of assumed they would have to do in order to make $$$. There are elves and dwarves that we see for a couple of scenes, but none of them ever join the party or really do anything tremendously important for this film. The action is firmly focused on the humans and the orcs.

It is, however, obviously a small glimpse of a much larger and more detailed setting. There were some times where I felt I was not getting the full story simply because there was not time to explain the true significance of a given person or place, but there was only one time where I felt this actually disadvantaged the plot (the movie explains the basic premise of Fell Magic at the start, and later on we see that magic do some stuff to people that doesn't feel like it fits with the explanation that we were given. Its not enough to sink the movie, but it did come off as a weakness).

The movie ends on a decent note, having resolved the most immediate conflict but leaving enough important (and in some cases still evil) characters on both sides that this is very clearly an unresolved 'part 1' of the story with an open hook for future stories.

Pacing felt a little rushed at times.

The Good:
>It straight up looked like the games
>Plenty of "Hey it's that guy!" moments, like how you always saw Grom in the background
>Surprisingly easy to follow the fight scenes; you could always tell Lothar, Llane, and Garona apart from the rest
>Kickass music
>Lothar himself was pretty cool and it was awesome seeing him kick ass in that first fight scene
>CGI was conspicuous but they made it look like an art style
>None of the actors were phoning it in. It felt like most of them were fans of the series and all put in actual effort

The Bad
>Plot was a retcon of Warcraft 2 with a bunch of stuff which made no sense
>Unless you know Warcraft lore like the back of your hand you couldn't possibly have known what was going on
>Multiple characters butchered; Garona, Orgrim and Gul'Dan are the most offensive examples
>Llane sacrificed himself solely because writers didn't want Garona to be a villain in this movie
>The orcs are the biggest bunch of wish-washy faggots I've ever seen in an antagonist faction.

The Ugly
>I never imagined Lothar looked or sounded like some weird viking Christopher Lambert. In the lore he's described as this hulking, quiet Ned Stark-kind of guy.
>Some of the orcs looked really weird, especially the females and Blackhand
>Khadgar never got his age-up.
>It's obvious the next one will be about Thrall.

Dirty poo skin orcs should go back through the portal to where they came from.

No, it's a Warcraft movie.

You fucking retard.

what happened to the warcraft threads? they were so comfy?

>Chris Metzen's White Guilt: The Movie
I'm not really familiar with Warhammer Fantasy, but I'm pretty sure that it's thematically a bit different.

You are the reason everyone hates warhammer fans.

Should? Possibly. It would be justice for them to die with the world they destroyed.

But its understandable that they don't want that. Most of them don't even have any control over the forces that destroyed their world, their only crime is wanting to survive.

Nope

Him and every other warhammer fan.

>The action is firmly focused on the humans and the orcs.
That's because it's based on the events of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. If they end up making another movie and continuing the storyline, all the other races will start getting a lot more screen time.

>garona doesn't end up killing lane

for real tho?

The Draenei got along pretty well in Outlands. Who says the Orcs would have died there?

No, Garona did kill Llane.

At the climactic battle, Llane tells her she needs to kill him because he's worth enough honor points for the Horde to welcome her back and listen to what she has to say. He believed it was the only way a peace could be negotiated.

Its worth pointing out, for context, that Llane was dead anyway. It was him and like 5 dudes in the middle of a battle against overwhelming odds with no chance of escape, and a big badass mofo working his way through the fight specifically to murder the shit out of Llane.

Llanes choices were to die at the hands of the enemy and be a trophy kill, or to be 'betrayed' by Garona and give her enough street cred with the rest of the horde to have a chance to sway them in the future.

He's dead either way, but at least this way there might be some benefit to it.

Garona isn't happy with the plan, but sees she has no other choice. Of course, none of her newfound friends int he alliance know the circumstances of her betrayal, so they are forced to assume that she is just a trecherous bitch.

>Retcon of Warcraft II

Nigga it was an adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs vs. Humans.

The humans looked fake.

They literally say that their world is dying. Just a few years ago they had forests and shit, and now it is dust as far as the eye can see. Its a hard place to survive in, and getting harder every day as the life left in the world gets drained bit by bit.

>>Plot was a retcon of Warcraft 2 with a bunch of stuff which made no sense
The movie is the prelude and beginning of the First War. We haven't even hit the end of Warcraft 1 yet.

Not really. Wasn't grimderp enough. Nor gods were quoted even once.
By comparison, it worked better as a MtG film, than that.

From what I've had explained to me by a friend, the biggest gripe I have with its story is that Stormwind City never got sacked. That event set the stage for everything in Warcraft 2 and beyond; really, it sounds like the movie was a mashup of WC1 and the ending of WC2.

It's still Draenor until Ner'zhul creates a bunch of portals and rips the planet apart and then gets turned into a helmet.

The end of Warcraft 1 is the portal being destroyed, Llane and Medivh dead, and Stormwind burning. We only miss Stormwind, and it's probably a wilful change.

I still thought it was a pretty cheap cop-out though. They created an artificial no-win scenario for the guy solely because they wanted to turn Garona into a through-and-through good guy.

Might be the beginning of the next movie.

Orcs have joined forces with trolls and are attacking the city.

The Sons of Lothar, Mag'har, and a bunch of Draenei survived the destruction of Draenor and were still there over a decade later when the portal was reopened.

>ITT people who haven't paid attention to Warcraft lore in over five years.

I'm not going to say the movie was a perfect adaptation of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. They even changed around some stuff from the books, but shit like:
>The Draenei got along pretty well in Outlands. Who says the Orcs would have died there?

C'mon man. They say point blank that Outland is fucking dead. Ogrim and Durotan are excited to just be seeing living plants again.

>>Llane sacrificed himself solely because writers didn't want Garona to be a villain in this movie

Llane has always been 'betrayed' by Garona in every incarnation. In the incarnation before this she was mind-dominated into killing him. Frankly, the movie version is a neater way of keeping up the conflict with Garona than they used in the older lore.

>>The orcs are the biggest bunch of wish-washy faggots I've ever seen in an antagonist faction.
Orcs haven't been pure antagonists since after Warcraft II.

...she was mind controlled to kill him before, now this time killing him is 100% her choice even though it's his idea.

Llane and Medivh die in Warcraft II. Adamant Wrynn is king in Orcs and Humans.

Maybe so, but it felt like a pretty reasonable no-win scenario. The king foolishly dived too deep behind enemy lines without enough army to protect him, and then failed to take proper advantage of a chance to escape when he had it in order to get as many prisoners out as possible.

He was a dangerous combination of brave and selfless. He put the safety of others before his own, which got him killed.

Its exactly the sort of behavior that SHOULD result in a name character getting killed off. It would have been much more of a cop-out for him to have survived that situation somehow.

The human ending is the destruction of the Dark Portal, but the canon ending has always been the orc's victory. You can check Warcraft II's opening cinematic if you don't believe me.

>C'mon man. They say point blank that Outland is fucking dead. Ogrim and Durotan are excited to just be seeing living plants again.
>He hasn't been to Nagrand

>ITT people who haven't paid attention to Warcraft lore in over five years.

Wait.. you're proud of having done that?

It's only Nagrand which has any useful vegetation left (unless you count Zangarmarsh, I guess), but even the orcs that stay there suffer major food shortages. Besides, the Frostwolf aren't from Nagrand so it's a moot point anyway.

To be fair, going to Nagrand means being near the Warsong clan, and nobody wants to do that.

Not particularly. I happened to be a fan of the game in high school. It's just annoying when people hang out in threads pretending they know shit when it's clear they haven't even touched any of the games.

And Terrokar. Fully half the continent is still habitable. They probably would have lost fewer lives living there than fighting at Mount Hyjal.

I was good, not awesome, but good.
I see all these complaints on /v/ about trivial shit like cgi or Garona's makeup.
The real issue of the movie is that it fails as a standalone movie, you have to be pretty grounded in the lore to make sense of the plot.
In fact the biggest plot twist of the movie Khadgar discovering the The Light and potentially the Naru/Fel connection completely flew over all my friends' heads until i told them.
I thoroughly enjoyed it, but moviegoers looking to get into the games for the first time will find it incomprehensible and even boring.

The story hasn't gotten there yet. This movie is the beginning of Warcraft 1. The sacking comes later

I follow the lore pretty closely but I don't remember Garona ever being mind-controlled. Guess I didn't pay attention to that.

>Orcs haven't been pure antagonists since after Warcraft II.

The orcs in this movie were a special brand of wishy-washy though. They oscillate between "Remove Gul'dan" and "Follow Gul'dan" every five minutes. Even by the end, after he's outted as a demonic mockery of orcdom AND a cheating prick, all they've really done is bitch him out a little bit. But they still follow him.

See This is the events of Tides of Blood, Orcs and Humans should have happened something like ten years earlier. I haven't seen the movie, does it show the opening of the portal and the invasion without a time gap? How did they explain Farina's conception?

Garona. Fucking phone. Is Farina even a name?

>Haven't played anything Warcraft since Warcraft 3
>Suddenly Angels
What the hell.

It's one of the scenarios in the Yogg Saron fight.
>I've never actually seen it because tentacle tanking

No time gap beyond a few weeks. The entire movie happens in 3 months or less because the seasons don't change.

Yes.

More like Vorlons than angels.

The Horde invades and makes it as far as Wesftall in the movie.

And who's Farina? You mean the Mag'har orc kid in the Undercity?

And never will.

>That twist point
Wait what? I'm not sure I caught that. I guess I was confused about the whole thing with the shadow creature he communed with. I only gathered that she protected azeroth before the guardians.

Anyway, one thing to note, before the theatrical release, the director was forced to cut out 40 minutes from the movie likely because producers were afraid of people not wanting to see it if it was too long. So I'm definitely buying the directors cut blue ray when it gets released.

He meant Garona. His phone auto-corrected.

I've seen that scenario but I don't remember it ever saying she was mind-controlled.

I'd always thought Garona's betrayal was the result of Blackhand or Orgrim twisting her arm behind her back. Like it wasn't her first choice, but she opted to do it because it would save her own skin.

I meant Garona: ...so how did they explain Garona, then?

It's not directly explained, but Medivh hints very strongly that he's her father. He mentions some world hopping shenanigans and meeting a 'strong woman.'

Honestly that's bullshit to me, but it's not the weirdest thing to happen in Warcraft lore.

Just finished watching it.

Loved the fact that peole fuckign die when they should die. There are more character deaths then a Game of Thrones episode.

It is refreshing.

She was a slave to Gul'dan, marginalized in orcish society for being a half-orc.

Instead of being an orc/draenei rape baby, it's strongly implied Medivh somehow found a way to Draenor and romanced her orc mother.

Well, that gives me a few incest vibes.

Anyhow, I hear they cut the Troll scene, though I found some concept art for it.

Garona explains that they've gotten humans in through once before when scouting the world, before the events of this movie. It explains how she knew common. They secretly got some humans back to the draenor, studied them, (including mating one with an orc for experimentation I'm assuming), and then they started a larger orc invasion that would be the forward base for making a larger portal to get all the orcs through. That was where this movie took place.

I'm liking the lore changes though. It keeps things fresh. They likely will do the sacking of stormwind in the next movie

Also. I have no idea fo warcraft plot and ejoyed the movie.

Mostly for the same reason as POTC 3.

It gives a sense of a big universe. Lots of characters. THe plots are simple put many things happening very fast so you don't get bored/spend 1 hour thinking "we know he is gonna turn bad can you speed up?".

Loved the last moments of the king.

It was shit.

The movie feels like it has ADD, especially in the beginning. We barely get introductions to any characters, or fuck, any locations. We're constantly, constantly zooming around, with scenes feeling insanely disconnected and just thrown in.

Hell, even the fight scenes are really bad about it. The only honest to god fight scene we get is the fight between Durotan and Guldan, and even that shit is broken up by the non-fight in the tower. Everything else is either just a mess of combat scenes with not enough focus to actually feel like a fight or a giant battle scene that rushes by too quickly to give us anything interesting to look at.

There's a shitload of characters in the film, but barely any worthwhile interaction between them. Dialog is sparse to say the least, and the movie wants us to give a shit about characters we barely even know about. Like Lothar's kid, he gets maybe two scenes of any import before we're asked to care, and we learn more about his relationship with Lothar after he dies, rather than before. The only thing that signifies him from a random mook is his lack of a helmet, because he has essentially zero characterization.

I mean fuck, even the foreshadowing felt rushed and lost in the mess. I straight up had forgotten about the whole shade thing in the tower by the time it became important again, and it was important long enough for yet another character to show up, say some plot important things, and then just disappear.

Also, I really enjoyed how the way to defeat the Fel was to recite a random phrase, with absolutely zero indication that he'd done anything else to warrant the win.

And the whole "in the lgiht there is darkness, in the darkness there is light" totaly flew above my head. No idea what it means.

Sir, you are a loser, and your admonishment should be directed at yourself.

Medivh is the father of her son, Med'an.

She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby from one of the first raiding parties into Azeroth, 15 years before the First War.

>POTC 3
>plots are simple
>so you don't get bored/spend 1 hour thinking "we know he is gonna turn bad can you speed up?".

Sure, I guess you can say that since every character kept betraying everyone else every ten minuntes

Do you expect anything else from pirates?

>She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby from one of the first raiding parties into Azeroth, 15 years before the First War.

If that's the case they retconned it before this movie's new retcon. Vindicator Maraad is her uncle in the gameverse.

I think her backstory has changed like four times or something.

Yup.
Notice how the allies do not have paladins and still use traditional medicine to heal.
That megaplosion that exorcised medivh was the Light.

>She was supposed to have been a half human rape baby
That hasn't been true for 10+ years. You've got to keep up with Chris "Oops, I Forgot About That" Metzen if you want to be a proper loremaster.

This movie is it's own timeline/universe now.

>Dalaran is flying already
>Drakha and Durotan are killed in battle rather than assassinated
>Khadgar is still a prettyboy bitch nigga
>Thrall is (still)born somewhat before he should be
>Garona's teeth look silly
>Low-key Grom and Kargath in the background because the movie cut down ~40 minutes of extra footage

It's different, but it's not bad at all.

>The only thing that signifies him from a random mook is his lack of a helmet, because he has essentially zero characterization.
He's a Warcraft III Hero unit, obviously.

Is Garona pregnant?

I welcome the changes. Again it keeps the story fresh.

If I go in knowing all the lore and history and get exactly that, then I would probably be meh about it. But things like garona motivation for killing the king are nice twists to what can broadly still be described as the same story.

The floating dalaran thing in sure was just an excuse to not tell that story, or so they can feature a cool floating city in the movie. Like I said I'm not broken up about it though.

>No. Its a Warcraft movie.

B-b-but Warhammer is a rip-off of Warcraft!

>everyone

So both of you and nobody else.

At least Warcraft tries to do something original with the rip, rather than just be a grimmer darker Tolkien

Whoops I guess Jones "accidentally" wrote Medan out of existence in the Warcraft Cinematic Universe... tragedy.

The draenei were not doing well until WoW retconned them into blue tentacle humans who lived in magical crystal palaces.
In War3 they were a broken tribal race pushed to the brink of extinction by the constant hounding of demons and fell orks.
Not thriving.

As long as it still gets sacked by Arthas I will be okay.

What I wouldn't do for an Arthas movie.

They're not doing well in current Warcraft either. They're a people constantly hounded by the Burning Legion and the main reason the demons took an interest in Draenor at all.

The orcs drove them to near extinction before they were able to escape to Azeroth on the Exodar. The massive canyon road leading to the Dark Portal in the movie? That's paved with Draenei bones.

Pretty much this. The pacing was bad (the first 30 minutes jumped all over the fucking place) and some things felt underdeveloped, but all that makes sense when you realize that there was over 30 minutes cut out of the movie. I went in with only a little knowledge of the lore, essentially just what I could gleam from listening to friends talk about the games. "Space demons fuck with some orcs and then the orcs go to the human planet and the humans want them to fuck off, and there is also an orc baby moses" is how I would have explained the lore prior to the movie. I was lost on a few things, but I could follow the movie. I liked it, but it had a lot of problems. I'm looking forward to the director's cut and the sequel.

because the holy roman empire in fantasy land is totally similar to Tolkien.

That will likely still happen, and makes it cooler I think.

They will likely explain they went up in the air for privacy and protection in the first place, and arthas will be like fuck yo privacy

Meant to say glean, not gleam

I hope Achrimonde still gets to level it. Watching him rip it out of the sky would be pretty awesome.

Man, a lot of shit happens to Dalaran in Warcraft III.

It's a fun movie, guys. Not award winning, but ranges from cool to pretty awesome throughout.

If you don't see it in theaters, at least rent it. There's more story to be told and i can only see it getting better from here

>youtube.com/watch?v=d70NE8tn4OI
>enable subtitles

I don't have a lot of expectation that they would top this.

I know nothing about Warcraft coming into to this. I went with a friend who knew all about it, but asked him not to tell me anything so I could judge it as a movie in a relative vacuum.

I hated it. Its pacing is the equivalent of learning how to write nuance from Mein Kampf. It tried to follow far too many plot lines and characters, but didn't give me a reason to care. It jumped to way too many places and didn't give me any kind of context to what was what.

The film thought that more was better, and I hope that its Director's Cut fixes its problems that can be fixed. Granted, some of them simply cannot be:

The human actors did terribly. Lady-orc was not only one of the worst practical effects I've ever seen, but also one of the worst actors I've ever seen. She at least had the competence to try and display emotion through her face, but her ridiculous makeup and prosthetics made her efforts all in vain.

From a setting standpoint it was inoffensive enough. '80s-level aesthetics and action, and while the props made me groan from looking way too LARP-ish, it at least did a tremendously good job of portraying magic as a great power. Durratan was pretty much the only part of the film that's worth watching, and his arc is -very- well done.

Frankly, I cannot recommend it. At all. Find something else you enjoy and stick with that until the Director's Cut. I heard it adds like forty-five minutes of film, so maybe it fixes the pacing issues--by far one of the largest it has.

Unfortunately, nothing--NOTHING--will fix how horribly uninteresting the human characters are and how BAD the lady-orc is.

I'm hesitant to see it because, although I think it will be authentically Warcraft, I'm really turned off by the visual direction.

I mean, I love that they went through a lot of effort to recreate the overt Warcraft aesthetic, but they look super silly on and around real actors, and the film looks like it's 80% CG. I would be much more inclined to see it if they just went full pickle and made the whole thing CG, so that the Warcraft design doesn't look as jarring.

For those that saw the movie, is it really all that noticeable, or am I in the right ballpark?

>is this the warham movie we never got?
Fuck you and that armour.

Warhammer got a great RTS-GS game

Warching the movie entertained me for 2 hours and listening to the score for about another 2

WH TW already has 117h out of me and is still fun

Total War > Some Movie

altough a movie about Aenarion would be dope.

It kinda sticks out on the humans, but I honestly enjoyed the fact they hammed it up. Every single piece of armor and weaponry has extraneous detailing on it (literally all the Stormwind guards have massive lion heads on their shields, stuff like that) and I loved every bit of it. Movie was also very colorful, which is nice when the most color you see on live action medieval stuff is from GoT, which is just various shades of brown or red if the Lannisters happen to be around.

Fair warning: I have been known to have shit taste.

Yeah, I feel like I'll enjoy it when I see it, and probably won't think much about the heavy CG and hammy props when the movie's playing. It seems like I'd have fun, which is generally the most important thing. It's just a little weird to me.

>Movie was also very colorful, which is nice when the most color you see on live action medieval stuff
That does sound pretty nice.

I feel like we should chalk this one up as a strike against the movie.

One of the last missions for Humans in Warcraft 1 is the hunting down and killing of Medivh. This is not Warcraft 2; if it was the story would be about Lordaeron and Doomhammer would be Warchief (With Gul'Dan under a tight leash).

Except it's the other way around, mister user sir.