Dominions

Here we go, haven't played Dominions 4 yet. i am just about to give it a go. Pretender design/whatever goes into this thread I guess. Nifelheim werewolf build still works?

Other urls found in this thread:

cruxador.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/dungeons-dragons-and-dominions/
blitzserver.net/
illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>>Veeky Forums
That may very well be the case (and I should probably have started the thread there). However, if any "video game" desevers to be mentioned on Veeky Forums then surely the Dominions series deserves to be there?

Oh, it looks like you're new here, or should I say it sure feels like summer.

Haven't played in ages. Quicker to just boot up a game of CoE instead for a quick fix.

>Haven't played in ages
Me neither. I was active during Dominions 2 - 3. Friends of mine have been bothering me to get 4 for quite a while and I just did. I am downloading it as we speak. How do people play Nifelheim / Hinnom [EA] nowadays? Any tips while I wait?

>CoE
You mean Conquest of Elysium?

Heavy bless for Nifel, or N9 and shrouded turbocommunions.
Hinnom is mostly played with scales, either an N or W bless.

They've an actual general for questions like this.

Then again, I am insanely curious about what the rest of Veeky Forums think about Dominions as a setting.

I could see it as one but it would require some really heavy rewrites considering the lore is all over the place as far as quality goes. I could definitely see running a GURPS game in one of the more interesting settings
It still works but it's much less effective.

>Heavy bless for Nifel, or N9 and shrouded turbocommunions.
So N9E4 is still king with the Nifels? Is it still possible to go scale build for werewolfs/early blood economy?

>Hinnom is mostly played with scales, either an N or W bless.
Sounds like Dominions 3, again. And here I thought that the old "tricks" would not work anymore. Thank you.

It's fucking amazing, there should be a nice RPG system in which players are gods in a magical-archaic world.

Oh, and it's hard as fuck, I keep getting my shit kicked in online

yes but blood is a lot less powerful and the N bless significantly so(it no longer grants regeneration until level 9) and thugs just in general are weaker due to slower research and less gems.

>It still works but it's much less effective.
Why? Any help to get me running would be appreciated. [I am reading other sources for those wondering, your thoughts would be appreciated though]

>yes but blood is a lot less powerful
Blood has been remodeled from 3 then?

>slower research and less gems
That much I have gathered. Thank you for your thoughts though.

"It's not enough that I should succeed - others should fail" - sounds like LA Ermor indeed.

see also Skrattir take 2 turns to recruit.
The high end blood summons aren't as good or easy to get mostly. Also gold is more important. Blood is still really good but it's nowhere near as powerful.

I'm actually in a DnD game set in Dominions, using 4E Because they're fucking casuals, and it's going quite well so far, despite my occasional missed session due to work. One of the players has been recording the events of note on his blog: cruxador.wordpress.com/2016/04/25/dungeons-dragons-and-dominions/ , which is quite convenient. But for future reference OP, while dominions is a Veeky Forums approved game, you might have better luck with its actual thread, over here:

>also Skrattir take 2 turns to recruit
That changes things quite a bit indeed. Hmm..

>The high end blood summons aren't as good or easy to get mostly. Also gold is more important. Blood is still really good but it's nowhere near as powerful.
Interesting. Thank you.

Um.. Birthright?

>for future reference OP, while dominions is a Veeky Forums approved game, you might have better luck with its actual thread, over here:
Never been at Veeky Forums personally. Thank you for posting the thread though, will have a look.

Yeah, I never touched it either, then someone brought it to my attention over steam that there's a thread there. Check out the steam group, it's usually pretty easy to get enough people together for a blitz game if you make an announcement. blitzserver.net/ is the brainchild of one of the /domg/ regulars, and it is a godsend for multiplayer games.

Thugs and SCs are a bit weaker in general with reworks to the combat system but Skrattir still work as thugs.

Overall, research has slowed down so armies remain important for longer - a good nation needs both good troops and good mages.

Also there's no tax rate setting, which means that blood hunting requires patrolling and you can't overtax provinces.

I'm more interested in the LIVES of the common man of those nations. Pretenders are unquestionably the moving powers, but what is it like before them? Or just as one appears after the Pantokrator's been gone for some time? You could really play out the relations of post-Ermorian states, such as Marignon, Ulm and Pythium.

There's just so much fluff that the fellows doing Dominions are splurging out, purely because of their love and dedication to mythological history. And stupid references.

>Also there's no tax rate setting, which means that blood hunting requires patrolling and you can't overtax provinces.
Just noticed that. I can see why the change was made considering that everyone overtaxed the first couple of turns. Still, just another mechanic to get used to I guess.

>level 20 commoner

It's one of the comfier generals. Nobody takes the memes too seriously, new players are shown the ropes in a straightforward fashion, everyone is very supportive when it comes to multiplayer unless you have a throne they want, in which case it's blatant lies and misinformation central, and it's a fairly active community, with both quick 3-4 hour games and many ongoing year-long PBEMs almost every day.

Anything more rule intensive or lethal and you'd all be dead! Also I like the mechanical system where even though we've got people ranging from "what's a basic attack" to "can I get some extra cheese DM" everyone contributes.

>Regen bless
Also
>Having a dedicated joke prophet with no life insurance
The madman.

The regen appears to be coming from his ring of regeneration. His actual bless might be D9, judging from the icon.

Skrattir are top tier comslaves, though having to use sabbath slave means the blood slaves might get killed turn 1 before they can be used which fucks you up. Also semi-decent thugs, but nothing to write home about.
I've been pleasantly surprised by the national jotun wolf summons, fear auras are great for making anything with moral that isn't 30 or 50 leg it.

>having to use sabbath slave means the blood slaves might get killed turn 1
Indeed.

>semi-decent thugs, but nothing to write home about.
Will have to check their stats for 4 then. Because in 3 they were an absolute nightmare.

At least D9, can't have S, A, E, N, B or F 9 due to lack of indicators/level of prot, however could have W9 as I can't remember what peasant stats should be.

Their stats haven't changed, the combat system has. You're more likely to get limbs lopped off, vine shields don't activate until after you're hit, luck is only a 75% chance to avoid a killing blow rather than 50% chance to avoid any blow, and so on and so forth.

That's a negatory as well.

Looks like D9 pure.

Also, because at least one of them is reading this thread, please explain some ideas of how to catch a centaur necromancer villain whom always absconds when the battle turns against him. Their plan so far is "stab him" and "force the C'tisian" to crossdress, so help would be appreciated.

>vine shields don't activate until after you're hit
Oh, that changes things quite a bit, quite a fucking bit. Holy hell.

>Their stats haven't changed, the combat system has
Thank you. There is quite a bit for me to read to get "updated". Seems like the gameplay has changed quite a bit.

Time for you to dive in into the manual.
illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

Pitfall traps

>Time for you to dive in into the manual.
Already there, thank you for the heads up though. I am currently trying to multitask. Having a look at Dominons 3 inspector and the 4th one for some comparisons.

Get him to party hard, like Reveler-hard. It won't be enough to knock him out or anything, because he's a centaur and debauchery runs in his blood, but it ought to impair his judgement enough to make him keep fighting instead of running.

The manual lies at points (see in the vg thread where someone learnt that warriors of M doesn't give fire resist despite the manual saying it does)

>The manual lies at points (see in the vg thread where someone learnt that warriors of M doesn't give fire resist despite the manual saying it does)
Good stuff. Will have a look.

Look, just because Behesh wears a robe, does not mean you can squeeze his cold-blooded ass into a frilly dress. A lifetime of comfy living, Ermorian delicacies, and refusing to leave the warm confines of his room, does not make him the best candidate for the most beautiful party member. Hell, if we dig up the Elf and reanimate him, he'll probably still be the best-looking.

I didn't say it was a good plan, I said it was the plan.