Is the Tangle the future?

Is the Tangle the future?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tYbRyVrrUDY
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it doesn't fucking work.

why?
the white paper is going over my head. is it worth trying to slog through?

t. redditor

hashgraph better

I'm actually a math genius. Going to read the WP this week.

Nah. Threaded b-trees. Duh.

IOTA is a scam, it literally doesn't work without the central authority nodes, ergo it's not decentralized

>run test network with help of microsoft and cisco
>15.6TPS
>in the meantime ETH is dying because people actually use it for something other than jewing the exchange
top kek

dont they have a plan to phase those out

>still can't reconcile quantum mechanics and relativity
>calls them self a math genius

it's literally just there so you can't OP_EVAL spam the network and kill it off. Once there's enough nodes to compensate attacks the coordinator (which is actually a worldwide net, not one host, FYI) can go. EST is June 2018

Tangle is in alpha not great for moving large data fast, but the development team will see this through long term hold buy on dips only

ok?

yes
>/thread

is the tangle cpu/battery/memory efficient for iot devices?

bitcoin takes as much electricity as fucking slovakia. It can't be worse than that.

but this is supposed to be for iot. i'm assuming this means that the graph participants will be iot devices too, right? that means low power, battery constraints, etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=tYbRyVrrUDY
>calculating PoW on my phone took an hour
>will require low-powered devices off-loading onto a beefier machine for the compute

seems like a fail for iot, no?

t. work in IoT

hmm

>Tangle is in alpha not great for moving large data fast, but the development team will see this through long term hold buy on dips only
but can't it not be forked?

like you'd know Elliot you fucking fag, tell your sister i'm coming over after football practice

It doesnt even work yet, they still use a master node.

i doubt companies like microsoft, bmw would care about that little fact. Centralized is what they probably would want.

> Is the Tangle the future?
Probably. At the very least it'll be better than the blockchain. IOTA has too many existing flaws to make it worthwhile, though.

1. Centralization doesn't make it a scam.
2. None of the major coins are decentralized anyways, at least in practice. The majority of the suppliers and middlemen are all through the same small group of exchanges/miners/etc.

thanks senpai. what about compared to sharding ala plasma? still need to read that paper.

have you idiots ever heard the iota creator talk about how he thinks iot devices will put tiny mining asics in them for his iota coin??? And that they won't alter the power usage? He literally doesn't understand how cryptocurrency or mining works. Don't believe me listen to him on The Ether Review podcast he was on.

Iota doesn't have mining, user. Dyor.

OP clearly is referring to PoW faggot

yeah thats what I'm thinking, but the pajeets at microsoft love this shit so who knows how far they can take it.

kek

From my previous experience using shards at-scale (think Netflix competitor), I don't think sharding would work as a full-on currency. You're balancing two primary factors: replication frequency (e.g. how many times will you copy data) and data size. For small sets of data, sure it could work and if you lose 10% of your data you're probably fine.

But what if you have 100 million nodes, and only 100, or 1000 of them have records of a transaction? What if a large percentage of those nodes die (for whatever reason, either the currency becomes unpopular or crashes or just chance) and that data is lost? What if you overdo the replication factor and 10 million nodes have that data, so now every single node in the cluster is storing 10% of _all existing data_ and becomes unmanageable? What about data growing over time? If you go on for 10 years, every node in your cluster will have some of that old data, and it will only get worse over time.

Sharding isn't very feasible at-scale unless it is very, very rigorously maintained. Despite my gripes with IOTA in its current form (or even a generic blockchain), both are preferable to effectively creating a massive unmaintainable database and are at least somewhat dependable as a master source of truth.