Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

When your character dies edition
What are the times you shedor almost shed a man tear for your character?

When asking about build advice, remember to be sure to mention whether or not third party material (3pp) is allowed!

Unified /pfg/ link repository:
pastebin.com/hdPm41ad (embed)

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/
d20pfsrd.com/

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

paizo.com/threads/rzs2tq1x&page=3?Your-relationship-with-the-ACG-classes-almost#106
docs.google.com/document/d/1_toKZsX-3ht8YnjL2HcBC9AgBfJ-I1tMrMCjUEKUbGQ/edit
giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20807485&postcount=51
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>last thread
...whew.
Do you guys want to argue over shield paladins vs. greatsword paladins instead?

Shield paladins are good. Shield warpreists are ok. Shield anything else is bad. Can't get shields to work on most other builds.

Shields are plenty great with 3pp content, now if only they could do the same for crossbows.

Shield Antipaladins?

Shield Brawlers?

What about Shield Brace + Fauchard? You have two-handed weapon + shield.

Talk me out of it /pfg/, I want to go through the martial archetypes (starting off with them) and bump them all up to T3 or higher, overhauling their mechanics or giving them virtual feats as part of their chassis, as well as maybe adding maneuvers into the mix

I'm also planning on consolidating feat chains into a single feat

Any feat that increases saves can henceforth be taken as a combat feat

I'll see how it ends up with sample characters

Only the first time I had one of my PCs die. After that, I learned death is cheap.

It's kind of funny, in a recent session my PC was killed but sortly after got brought back with a True Resurrection spell. I idly wondered what my PC should do with his pasted corpse, pondering the idea that it could be used as mulch if nothing else, when my DM suddenly asked if we had really gotten that casual about death. I pointed out that it was hardly surprising when you consider everyone in the party is basically surrounded by death, having killed and been killed multiple times.

No, fuck you, you can't back out of it now
Make the Aldori swordlord actually goddamn competent

Are there any hope for Cavalier / Samurai?

I want my cohort character to be a Yojimbo Samurai.

Is a nodachi actually a polearm?

>A way to combine styles
A reasonable request, all things considered. It'd probably have to be something on an archetype.

>how does needle explosion work
>hit target twice, target now has "needles" embedded in him
>if you land a critical hit with an attack on that target, spending a swift action detonates them at the end of your turn
>this causes an unavoidable bonus hit, and the staggered condition for one turn
>then the author realizes he's combining 2hu persuasion needles with the halo needlegun.

Fauchards have no listed weapon group, they can't be used unless your DM rules them to be polearms.
Yes, they are both heavy blades and polearms.

Doesn't Shield Brace work with spears too? Why not just use a bog standard spear?

Because you don't get the best of both world that way.

Eh, outside of charging, 1d10 with 18-20/x2 will provide more DPR than 1d8 20/x3

One of my friends is considering playing a Two-Handed Fighter archetype. Is it decent? The double strength bonus sounds pretty nice.

So Paladin with Shield and Nodachi?

Sure you do, two-handed weapon and a shield. Is ~3.5 damage really that important in the grand scheme of things?
Right, forgot it was 18-20. Still, it seems a bit iffy having your ostentatiously western characters always use nodachis all the time just for the sake of a little more damage.

SUPERIOR NIPPON STEEL
(Also perfect for Scarlet Throne/Black Seraph builds).

I use Nodachi in western medieval setting and be a cowboy with gun in Eastern setting.

What about lance?

How the fuck do I counter Mage's Disjunction?
I'm trying to make an utterly undestroyable character.
So far I've reached the point that the only way to destroy me is to destroy my sword, which is a major artifact. But Disjunction can destroy it in a single casting. What do?

Why not both?

Same stats as a spear I recall, but more dumb.
Contingent antimagic field. Alternatively make it known that it's an artefact, and any wizards will probably realise killing you isn't worth pissing off the gods. What resources do you have?

You can counterspell it with Dispel Magic. I wished I was kidding; because Mage's Disjunction has a duration longer than instantaneous, a Dispel Magic could shut it down.

>Contingent antimagic field. Alternatively make it known that it's an artefact, and any wizards will probably realise killing you isn't worth pissing off the gods. What resources do you have?
Aegis 13, MR 10, Psychic Vampire.
My sword is an artifact with the destruction method being that it must be used to deliver a finishing blow against me. To prevent that, I use three separate methods to gain immunity to being disarmed.
And when I die, I possess my sword as per psychic vampire and rejuvenate after an hour.

Contingency teleport it somewhere safe.

This sounds cool.

Do I still get 1.5 STR to damage with Shield Brace?

paizo.com/threads/rzs2tq1x&page=3?Your-relationship-with-the-ACG-classes-almost#106
This kind of retards actually inhabits Paizo forums.

I always liked how their dynamic was "whole party talk shit to eachother all the time". Made'em feel like all the parties that we make.

>paizo.com/threads/rzs2tq1x&page=3?Your-relationship-with-the-ACG-classes-almost#106
>Broken: Bloodrager, Brawler, Hunter, Investigator, Slayer, Swashbuckler, Warpries
TRIGGERED

OF COURSE PAIZOFUCKS WOULD THINK THREE OF THE MOST FUN 1pp MARTIALS ARE FUCKING BROKEN.

Yes. It doesn't change any rule of the two-handed weapon, so you still use the general x1.5STR rule.

Not sure how it actually work in game world context though. Anyone have an image of a guy two-handing a polearm while wearing shield?

Only 20% chance with Disjunction, too; hell of a risk if your action doesn't work.

Only time I've ever seen it happen was against me unfortunately. I'd crafted that goddamn thing.

Well, if nothing else the spell was right; while the sonofabitch didn't lose his spellcasting, but he *did* attract the attention of someone who hadn't spent his turn destroying just one item...

> Threat created by secretwizard
stop reading there.

Contingency only affects you though, so you'd be teleporting away as soon as anyone starts casting. Worse still, if you set the trigger to 'when mages disjunction is cast on my sword' it's too late by the time it's been triggered, and if the trigger's 'when I see someone casting Disjunction' then that's a whole new can of worms.
Not once it's been cast though. Would have to ready action, which doesn't work so well in combat.

>Swashbuckler
>Good
Oh dear, it's retarded.
At least we can all agree that Paizo Forums is always wrong.

Did anyone else notice that Ssalarn updated (no, really) Tzocatl?

docs.google.com/document/d/1_toKZsX-3ht8YnjL2HcBC9AgBfJ-I1tMrMCjUEKUbGQ/edit

giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=20807485&postcount=51

Shield Brace + Nodachi + Bashing Finish

Does it work?

Well Swashbucklers ARE broken, just in the "this class is so shit to the point of not being functional" sense.

Hunter is perfectly balanced, and I will fight anyone who disagrees with me.

It is perhaps the single most well balanced 1pp class in the entire goddamn game, barring maybe alchemist, in my opinion.

>Man, everyone who goes on the Paizo forums is so dumb!
Literally the next two posts after him are giving him shit, with nobody agreeing with him.

Wasn't he supposed to update either weapons or archetypes for arcforge last week?

Does anyone know of any Pathfinder Actual Play recordings with people using non-paizo content?

Or just some interesting Pathfinder podcasts?

Is it not depressing to know that everyone wants to play pathfinder because it is safe and familiar, but that means it is constantly locked in status quo, carrying around 13 years outdated game design with it

Violent Display (Combat)

Prerequisite: Dazzling Display, Weapon Focus, base attack bonus +6.

Special: This feat is available to weretigers, weretiger-kin and those who associate with these creatures.

Can anyone explain this to me? Do I need to be a weretiger or not?

is this a feat literally for otherkins
what is happening

x-kin refers to skinwalkers. Like werewolves-lite.

eh, it works

Can you take a 5-foot step in difficult terrain?
What if you 5-foot step from difficult terrain to normal terrain?

No and yes, since each square of difficult terrain costs 2 squares of movement to move into.

Astral Projection

> Use alter self
> You are now a weretiger
> It's okay to take the feat now

So if my threatened area counts as difficult terrain, enemies can't 5-foot step in it? Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Okay, I think I figured it out. It's a BotM feat in the weretiger section, so it's assumed to be restricted to weretigers et al. even though that's not listed in the prerequisites.

But user, I'm an Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier. Why would I ever want to be anything other than my perfect self?

Aspiring Nope-Zone Warder here.
What are some ways to increase my reach for AoO?
So far I've got 15 foot reach thanks to Iron Tortoise Stance and a weapon that has +5 reach. With Defensive Focus my Nope-Zone is 25 feet, as I am level 5.

Since the weapon I'm using specifically says that it has +5 foot reach and NOT the Reach quality, would me gaining the Reach quality on it through some other means stack?

Becoming Large would increase my range by 5 feet, I believe, as my natural reach would be 10 in that case. I've got someone who can Enlarge me, so that's in the cards.

What else is there?

>and those who associate with these creatures.
The accountant that does my taxes is a weretiger. That counts, right?

Two words: Combat. Patrol.

That doesn't really counter it though, just makes it so you vanish rather than lose your sword.

But that's just Defensive Focus.
I can't use both at the same time.

>mfw I got 18 18 17 16 15 15
>level 3
>Gestalt
>Mythic
>All Paizo and DSP materials allowed
>E6

HELP

No seriously, it's like I've got all the hot dogs and I just don't know what to do with them. What the fuck should I make with this monstrosity?

your character "perfection" is only a self-defense mechanism to cope the cruel human society.

Deep down he always knew that his fursona is a majestic tiger.

I don't see any text in either ability that indicates they wouldn't stack.

>get crippled by indecision
>end up going with chained monk/chained rogue, path of the archmage

Unchained Monk-Esoteric Gifted Soulknife. Punch everything to death while scoffing at wizards cowardice.

They're both full-round actions that last until the start of your next turn.

one of my favorite non-broken gestalt ideas is Ambush Hunter ranger//Druid. You end up with the benefits of full casting while your pet is the one actually doing maneuvers, giving you absolutely wonderful action economy.

Admittedly doesn't work as well in an E6 game, since full casters aren't as strong there, but it's still worthwhile.

I am retard

Adroen's Spellbane

Oh that's right. Now every class that wants a reach weapon can also have +4 AC for the cost of two feats.

I mean it isn't a problem, but it is more power creep.

Condensing feat chains /and/ giving virtual feats makes for a lack of real specialization.

Maybe include some new feats that let certain kinds of attacks (full attacks, single attacks, AoOs, etc.) gain benefits beyond what's currently available.

e.g. a feat that works with vital strike that lets you roll vs touch or flat-footed AC.

Hey, if it means someone can actually play their fucking spear and shield concept...

...no

Fighters and friends are not bad because they don't do enough damage. They do fine damage.

The problem is that from level 1 to 20 the main thing they do is get bigger numbers. Mages are teleporting, summoning, calling, etc. while the fighter is hitting for more damage.

I have no idea how to fix this out-of-combat imbalance without cutting levels 16+ out of the game.

Yep. Long time coming. I would have just made the non-reach spear a one handed weapon though.

Holy shit that Majuba fuck is retarded. "Everything that's core-only is balanced, except Paladin which can be too strong"

Like fuck, have you never played the goddamn game? At least he agrees Arcanist is a broken shitpile, but you need to be a retard to not notice that.

>"The swashbuckler and swasbuckler-dips I've seen have been unhittable. Parry/Riposte is broken."

The sad thing is, this kind opinion tends to be the one that gets answered when errata comes along instead of the numerous people pointing out "yeah, the Arcanist is rather broken, isn't it?"

>someone posts stupid shit
>the entire forum calls them stupid.
Better than i expected.

I want armor to be damage reduction
I want DnD without Armor class

Then use the armor as DR alternate rules

plsno.
pls.
If you just want armor to stop existing you can just remove it.

I dunno about that, too many PoW stances/maneuvers completely ignore DR or would just blow past it on an attack that would otherwise miss normally.

but those rules are bad

Warder (Zweihander Sentinel) and Paladin. Wield a spear. Trade Iron Tortoise for Elemental Flux.

Become divine, the storm transformed.

Best part? I think Meteoric Throw is a 3rd/4th tier maneuver (Martial Training will give you the extra boost you'll need for 4th level.) Combine that with Endless Range and you'll be able to throw your lightning spear for miles.

You are become Gwyn, Lord of Sunlight and Dragonslayer Ornstein all in one.

>I want thing
>OK here is thing
>THING IS BAD REEEE
kys tbqh fampai

>I want something that isn't pig shit
>OK here is goat shit
>Do you have anything that isn't shit?
>you are bad REEEEEEEEE

>armor as DR alternate rules
I always wanted to add DR armor on top of AC(as in armor provides both AC and DR).

Is this retarded?

Getting rid of AC is mostly needed if pathfinder ever wants to have actually combat where you can have more than 1 option in melee combat

Probably, but do it anyway. Just treat all armor as if it were made of adamantine.

Adding it on top of armor class is actually a good idea, and might realistically make heavy armor useful.

I mean, it's a bit of a bandaid, but it's a simple one that does indeed make armor better.

Note that 19 out of 20 groups already cut those levels out of the game by starting lower and never getting to them.

No, it means you'll have very dangerous heavily armored opponents.

Add a chance at blocking a spell with your shield and they become downright frightening.

Adamantine should double the DR.

A knight in Adamantine Full Plate would have 18 DR.

Isn't that what a heavily armor hulk of a man should be anyway?

Can someone with a Paizo forum account please tell the elf-fucking faggot Drahliana about all the things that make core rogue (and even unchained rogue) totally obsolete? Can they remind them that the vigilante exists now and is basically superior to every martial that isn't a Barbarian and /maybe/ a Paladin?

I'm sort of imagining a "Shield Expertise" feat that adds a percentage chance to negate a spell that comes at you based on the type of shield you're using.

I certainly think so.

Why are knights so rare in campaigns?

Like, am I the only one that wants to fight a pair of knights on horseback?

You go from bandits to orcs to various monsters, it's been forever since I've seen a high-level human opponent outside of BBEGs or mages.

Throw me a pitch for your new campaign idea, /pfg/. Show me how you sell it!