Make a Mutant Chronicles anime

Since 40k has it's own thread, I thought I'd make one for it's somewhat smarter younger sibling.

Does anyone have a good idea for a Mutant Chronicles anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima
petterkatt.no-ip.org/Äventyrsspel_17/
youtube.com/watch?v=z-KiT1WAUCA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CM was a dumb action setting for kids, so I assume it will be perfect material for chinese cartoons.
>smarter younger sibling
mfw

Whatever the plot is, the character designs had better reflect the ludicrous proportions from Paul Bonner's original artwork.

In fact, if he can do the character designs, so much the better.

To be fair the Apostles are basically the Chaos gods of they grew up and went to college.

Does it have to be an Anime? Why not just a normal TV show?

Actually, MC becomes brilliant if you incorporate the theory that Mutant Chronicles and Kult are the same universe.

Nyaruko-san, only with the Dark Apostles.

Because it would have to be animation. The visuals of the MC universe would be absurdly expensive to film otherwise.

Anyone else here read the new MC stuff that Modiphius are doing?

They're revealing a lot of stuff that used to be big mysteries and adding some new lore Whitestar a shit

Did somebody say excuse for me to dump Paul Bonner art? Because I think I just heard somebody say "excuse to dump Paul Bonner art".

The Modiphius Mutant Chronicles is probably the best version of the universe so far.

>Whitestar a Shit
The fuck you say about the Tsarina?!

Isn't it supposed to be a prequel?

Go back the bunkers, Ivan.

The real Russian faction doesn't want need your waifus.

I wish I could hate you to death for reminding me that exists.

Though this could make for an interesting bait-and-switch premise. Have it start out with a Nyaruko-san setup but slowly introduce hints that someting is not right. Turns out the girls don't actually exist, they're hallucinations sent by Muawijhe. to drive the MC insane and turn him into a Heretic and servant of the Lord of Broken Dreams.

Alright here's an idea. The story follows two groups of competing freelancers as they try to make a living and avoid fucking up. Half slice of life and half noir. Skirt around the Dark Symmetry for a while, only making brief mentions or nods before dumping a big dark symmetry plot point on them forcing the two groups to work together.

In terms of tone and look I'm thinking more GITS and Cowboy Bebop than modern shit.

Nah, it covers three eras (first appearance of evil, 'normal' setting, and the 'day after that' final battle period). From the way most of the books are written, the assumption seems to be most people will play in the "present" period.

I made the Sons Ukrianians to Whitestar's Russians. Crimea is going to be the site of one of the Skulls when my group gets round to that.

Take those "Shadowrunner goes grocery shopping" anime gifs that people post in Veeky Forums file name threads, and add giant shoulder pads.

Then throw in some horrible mutants and a big grimdark story twist three quarters through the season, and you're golden.

Yes and no. The Modiphius setting is actually split into three "eras" which cover different time periods in MC history.

1. Dark Symmetry: Set during the fall, when the Seals of Repulsion are broken and everything goes to shit.

2. Dark Legion: The "Default" setting for the MC game. Takes place about 1,200 years after the Fall with the Legion returning after a millenium long absence.

3. Dark Eden: This is based on the metaplot that Target Games were working on for the RPG originally but was scrapped when they tried to compete with GW and lost their shirts. It's the "endgame" of the setting.

Well hey, a Mutant Chronicles thread. I didn't think anyone on Veeky Forums knew about it.

I got PDFs of all the new 3rd Ed stuff and I'm running a pre-Fall Dark Symmetry game. Everyone has AIs in their guns, everything is cyberpunk, all the Megacorps are a little less retro and a little bit... weirder.

The players don't know anything about the setting, but they've clicked that something really *wrong* is happening. Two sessions ago one of the smart grenades on a character's belt decided it was going to turn itself on in the middle of a shoot-out

It's been great so far!

>CM was a dumb action setting for kids
As opposed to the mature nuances of 40k?

Smarter, not smart.

An IQ of 90 is smarter than an IQ of 80.

You should know they actually made a movie.
It was alright.

That's a good start, but here's my idea.

The MC is a Japanese police officer from the 2300's. The universe is odd, but still recognizable as our present but more. However, the elements that will comprise Mutant Chronicles are falling into place. Governments are losing power to these huge Mega-corporations: Mishima, Imperial, Capitol and Bauhaus. The Terraforming program is nearing completion. Not a moment too soon, as it's becoming obvious that the Earth will not support mankind for much longer. Even the ecologically responsible Japanese are suffering massive crop failures and shortages of basic resources. Everyone who can afford to do so is buying passage to Mars, Venus and Mercury, or signing abusive labor contracts to the megacorps just to secure a seat on the next shuttle.

The MC is a rookie cop in the Tokyo police force. He's kind of a goofball, and a total Otaku. Something his colleagues tease him about. A typical anime Audience Perspective character.

He gets a call from an apartment building. Some woman is screaming that her servant robot just went berserk and killed her husband. He arrives to find the husband hasn't just been killed by a malfunctioning robot, this thing twisted his head around until he was internally decapitated then gutted him before carving up his wife with a Ginsu knife. They find it in the bedroom of the couple's daughter holding her hand and painting symbols of the Dark Apostles on the wall with her parents' blood. They can't use EMP to disable the robot because the girl has a medical implant, so they try a verbal shutdown code instead. The robot attacks them, killing one of the MC's friends in front of him before critically injuring the MC and nearly killing him. The MC is rushed to the hospital and put into cryogenic suspension to recover from his injuries.

(continued)

He wakes up 1,200 years later in the rusting hulk of a ship in the Luna City Shipyard. A group of Freelancers were sent to retrieve him by a mysterious benefactor. When they deliver the goods, the benefactor decides to try to murder them instead.

After a narrow escape where the MC's police officer training makes him valuable, he realizes he has no choice but to fall in with the group of Freelancers who tried to sell him to the highest bidder. He might have no reason at all to trust them, but like it or not they share a common enemy. The series is half film noir half slice of life as the MC tries to make a place for himself and make sense of the Dieselpunk Nightmare he's found himself trapped in.

One of the Freelancers is a qt blonde eyepatch girl (who wears an eyepatch because she's actually missing an eye for once). She's disgraced corporate nobility, who is of course a love interest.

As for the mysterious man who hired them, he's a recurring series villain. He goes by the name "Mr. Gilder" which is clearly not his real name. Towards the end of the series he turns out to be [spoilers] a Nepharite of Semai in human guise. What at first seemed to be a personal vendetta, turns out to be a plot that could bring down the Great Corporations and pave the way to the Dark Legion's final victory.[/spoiler]

Just make it diesalpunk Ghost in the Shell with Cybertronic agents, and every so often they go Doomguy on some Dark Legion demons.

It's already over the top enough to be an anime and the 90s RPG had crazy weeaboo fighting magic for Mishima characters.

Just make it about some freelancers playing through the Venusian Apocalypse campaign.

I wonder. Assuming this was intended for release in Japan would the "Mishima Corporation's" name have to be changed given the obvious connection with a certain late-70's political radical?

>Who?
>Googles Mishima
>Yukio Mishima
>Mother fucker.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukio_Mishima

Did Target Games do this on purpose? Fuck.

Sorry, late-60's to early 70's. He committed suicide after a failed coup in 1970.

Maybe. Or it might just tip off a Japanese reader that the Corp is a slightly batshit Bushido throwback.

Wait, there's an rpg for it?

I wouldn't be so generous, mainly because it had a lot of potential that it failed to capitalize on to focus on action sequences that were always too confusing. And I don't even find the transformers actions sequences confusing.

Mutant Chronicles started as a hybrid RPG and Skirmish Wargame in the mid 90's. Then the current company making it decided they were going to take down GW and released Mutant Chronicles Warzone. This game was a success, but it was too little too late to stave off bankruptcy and Target Games folded in 2000.

The newest edition of MC is the 3rd edition from Modiphius.

And you can get the entire original line (which is of, at times, questionable quality, but still miles ahead of the 3E) from mutantpedia.

Tekken uses Mishima

There already is a Mutant Chronicles movie with Ron Pearlman

>which is of, at times, questionable quality, but still miles ahead of the 3E

The original MC was a barely edited, confused mess. The rules were incomplete, vital stats were missing, the organization in the core book was terrible. Not to mention that the rules were unbalanced and fuck and featured retarded damage mechanics that really kind of painted the rules into a corner.

I'd be more worried about the Nips turning the Dark Apostles into Toku villains given the interesting parallels between Illian and pic related.

The original MC-rules weren't rules, they were suggestions. As for your rebuttal, the only part where 3E is any better is in the precious game balance-department.

>it's okay for them to be shit, they're only suggestions
This is the dumbest thing I've heard all day, and I work in IT. On what planet is that an excuse? If you're going to make suggestions, at least make ones that are useful.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Why? Suddenly so many of the weird things in MC make perfect sense? Where does the Dark Legion come from? They're the Legions of Inferno come to punish mankind for their sins and ensure that we never escape our prison. Hell, Razides, Nepharites and Dark Citadels are all mention in Kult.

It raises so many new and interesting questions to, such as Who was Cardinal Durand? Where does the Art come from? Is it just another trick meant to keep the imprisoned souls of mankind ignorant, or did the Cardinal find a way to unlock the powers inherent in us all and bring some fragment of our true essence into the illusory world?

Nigger, I ain't gonna have what little dignity Kult have left be MC's cum rag.
What little good art concepts it had was all stolen from Kult, 20 yrs ago.

Why does that brotherhood dude have 4 arms? Doesn't seem very human to me...

The references to Kult were added to Mutant Chronicles by staff who worked on both games. You are now aware that this was not theft, it was a conscious choice on the part of the creators.

Unless you're going to tell me these people can rip THEMSELVES off.

Kult 2d20 when?

Probably never. The Kickstarter was funded, but the devs have stopped posting updates. My guess is they ran out of money and decided radio silence was preferable to facing a tidal wave of negative press. In a few years, the rights will quietly revert and hopefully be given to a competent publisher.

Not a chance Gunilla Jonsson and Michael Petersén would sully themselves with MC.
That was all TARGET faggots (whom Hardcore Media had to boot from their offices, since they were constantly trying to poach employees)

Nope, checked the credits now. No GJ/MP on the MC team:
petterkatt.no-ip.org/Äventyrsspel_17/

Well, if it makes you feel any better this theory was Jossed by Modiphius for copyright and licensing reasons.

Which KS? The Divinity Lost one last had an update on May 31.

It sucked.

No really, the Ron Pearlman movie sucked hard dick. I can fully appreciate that some changes may have to be made when adapting a work to other media, but the staff really did show total contempt for the source material and instead built the movie around buzzwords like "Steampunk!" and "Zombies!"

>Mutant Chronicles
>steampunk
Somebody should have made the writers read the core rulebook.

MC was like a swedish version of RIFTS. Mechanically a complete clusterfuck, but still awesome.

Going further with that RIFTS analogy, MC3 is kind of like Savage RIFTS: The same game with newer, not so fucked mechanics.

They actually got Simon Bisley to illustrate that clusterfuck?

>hey, Simon, wanna draw us a picture of a demon-spider-chick menacing a Football Marine? We'll pay you.
Weren't Target the biggest RPG company in Sweden?

Yeah they were what Äventyrsspel (Swedish RPGening Inc.) grew into, and with MC/Warzone actually getting international recognition I guess they were somewhat of a player back in 90s.

I was just surprised to see old Bisley ink again...

ADAPT DOOM TROOPERS
youtube.com/watch?v=z-KiT1WAUCA