What does knighthood mean to you?

What does knighthood mean to you?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=xldqZDunfXo).
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Killing Lithuanians.

To stand as a mighty bulwark for the land, to serve with courage and honor, and to carry out my duty unto death.

Some guy in a crown hit you on the head with a sword, but not hard enough to kill you.

Little boys

It's where the knights live

Knighthood means heavy armor. That'll slow you down.

A king-blessed mercenary, trying his best to uphold the traditions and ideals of his kingdom and erradicate its enemies

Basically a western samurai

Killing elves.

Protect the innocent. Punish the guilty. Uphold your vows. Obey your lord.

please tell me how your light armor helped you avoid the sarlac pit?

To obey your lord.
To protect your lady.
To uphold the honor of the land.
To fight with utmost civility.
And to die with nary a hatred in your heart.

Where the fuck did the samurai=knights thing come from anyways? I mean, I sort of get some of it. Both are technically a warrior caste of sorts who tended to bow to a particular authority, but for the most part Knights were sort of just fancy titles given to nobles who were trained in swordplay and riding from birth, and samurai were sort of a weird mercenary headhunting death cult.

Knights have almost always been heavy cavalry, whereas samurai were initially horseback archers, then they became heavy infantry/whateverthefucktheywant.

What? You still exist? I thought you'd gotten the picture that no one thinks you're funny and that you're a living embarrassment.

Having levels in the knight class.

Never work again
Fuck peasant bitches
Yeahh

Killing Muslims.

Hey snake is there a helmet retexture that matches your armor hidden away somewhere?

Wrong thread

knights were also weird warrior cultists, it was later that they became just fancy nobles with swords

>Mercenary

No. FFS people, look up what the word fucking means. This is made even more ridiculous when there was a huge proliferation of medieval mercenaries that existed contemporary to knights

To answer your question OP: it depends on the era, but most generally it refers to the Medieval European system of cavalry being stocked almost exclusively with sons of aristocratic families - a system they inherited from the Romans.

Arms and armour weren't standard issue yet so most anything you fought with was what you could afford. Only the rich could plausibly own, train and maintain horses so it makes sense.

Also, important to note that knights were not exclusively horsemen and some never picked up a sword or rode a horse in their life. It's a complex medieval cultural concept that doesn't quite translate to our modern world.

Besides their roles in the battlefield, the general concepts translate fairly well if not examined too thoroughly...

Pseudo-militaristic class of nobility that also fulfilled bureaucratic roles. Samurai, like Knights, are reimagined quite romantically.

also, both are portrayed as awesome swordsmen when actually they rearely used swords outstide of dueling

Well, it's not technically false that Edo era Samurais had a fucking hard-on for swordsmanship but like you said they weren't married to it and many abandoned conventional weapons almost immediately when fire arms began entering Japan in large numbers.

A fancy title that means fuck all in the grand scheme of things.

Knights roamed the lands, challenging other knights to duels to the death in between doing chivalrous acts with no thought of compensation whatsoever(or just enough to purchase food if they were flat broke with no churches to hit up)
Read that again
Knights roamed around joining causes they deemed as being good and just, without seeking compensation.
Those knights aren't fairy tales, they were crazy zealous nutcases terrorizing the countryside banditry in the name of chivalry and high adventure.
You don't know what a mercenary is.

To my understanding a knight's use of the sword was a dueling-centric affair, so while many of them didn't use swords very often in battle (again, heavy cavalry) they probably could kick the ass of any other contemporary swordsman if it really came down to it.

To my understanding however, the advent of the longsword might have tweaked this. I've heard snippets about knights using longsword-and shield from horseback, essentially just using the longsword as some sort of lance.

Thall shalt protect the weak and constitute thyself the defender of them.

Knighthood is about giving yourself for the good of others and making yourself a light to brighten the darkness of our world.

>Knights
>Roaming

No. The "Knight-Errant" is 10,000% a literary concept made popular by Arthurian legends and not something that actually happened in real life. Knights occupied an important position within Medieval society as professional soldiers.

Infantry in Medieval Europe was comprised of militas formed by peasants, sure but the peasantry was almost exclusively subsistence farmer so they couldn't afford to be gone from their (lord's) land too long. In larger battles, it was almost certain that if you could afford it, you would pay for mercenaries to supplement your forces. Being a soldier back then usually required a lifetime of training, nothing like modern day conscription.

Knights were your first and last line of defense generally and could deploy quite quickly due to being cavalry. They were always on-call.

>Implying Arthurian recounting recorded by literate monks is fictitious
Next you're gunna say Beowulf isint a true story.

Wrong, in fact the evolution of the sword ties very closely to battlefield armours (Pretty good video on the topic youtube.com/watch?v=xldqZDunfXo). Swords were very VERY much loved by knights. Hell, a large chunk of lower class people in the militia couldn't even afford swords. Although there's a large dependence on the context of when they'd be used (of course if spears were better, they'd use spears), so it's not to say they always used swords.
Also knights didn't always STAY on horses, eventually knights migrated to wanting to fight on foot more often than not (due to it being harder to kill an armoured foe when on horse).
Duels were also a hell of a lot rarer than you'd think. To the point where they generally negligible when it comes to knights.
Also longsword wouldn't improve horse combat. You don't use two hands on your sword on horseback. So the arming sword (which the longsword evolved out of) would be suitable enough.

So I guess if I were to largely sum up what I'm trying to say in this god awful ramble; it depends on the context and time. Both swords and spears were used depending on when they were better. And one wasn't vastly rarer than the other over all. I'm pretty sure swords were used more often over all.

Forgive me for bad grammar or mixed up statements. I'm a little too stoned for this right now.

This

Well, he used his backpack to blow up the Sarlacc from inside and get blasted out.

Maybe he'd have been too heavy otherwise.

In return for land and peasants to work it, you fight and die for some rich guy.

To protect the world from devastation,
To unite all people within our nation,
To denounce the evil of truth and love,
To extend our reach to the stars above

JESSIE

Doing what must be done to protect those who can't protect themselves.

Standing between the innocent and the ill will of wicked men.

Holding fast to your principles regardless of what the world says.

>Pic related sums it up nicely.

Killing mudslimes

Being a robot from the future, sent back in time to destroy all elves, everything that was an elf, and everything that might be related to elves.

>Those knights aren't fairy tales, they were crazy zealous nutcases terrorizing the countryside banditry in the name of chivalry and high adventure.
They're landed nobles, Dumbass. They have castles and shit.

Underrated post

Pelinel is come

Not killing everyone just because I own a horse.

JAMES

>What does knighthood mean to you?

Privileged thuggery. The original and true meaning of knighthood.

Legitimate racketeers

Then, despite playing with godmode on, fail so spectaculraly that the culture of the dominant human empire is built on ayleid and altmer foundations, and your life's purpose becomes a sidequest to some sandboxing murderhobo in a shitty video game.

Rape and murder, generally.

It means DEUS VULT!

I want you to know how lame you sound, and how gay you are.

I don't have enough words though.

>extended universe
Gross. Boba got his shit slapped by a blind guy and the only reason there's any other mention of him is because he's distinctive looking. Boba a shit.

A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

Knighthood to me is to be raised and educated a warrior and leader from childhood. To be a professional among amateurs.

>Knighthood

It means circumcision via scythes or flails by squires with Parkinson's Disease

it's a shame that movie was so bad, it had some great visuals

edgy

Killing with kindness

Fuck off m8.

>Slavs

>your ancestors

Not only /pol/ is shit at making people feel feels because of their shitty agenda pushing, but they don't even know the proper words to do so.

I want you to stop stuffing your mouth with cocks, but I guess neither of us is getting what we want, unless that user does switch his shit to fit the tastes of an anonymous shitposter.

protecting the innocent and punishing the guilty

While the world is incorrect, the only reason you don't feel anything from that is because you're a liberal dipshit that doesn't even realize how your shitty ideology itself is a byproduct of western culture, and you clearly don't care that the culture that gave birth to progressivism in the first place is in it's direst moments.
When islamism or chinese culture supplant the west, you'll wonder when did we accept authoritarianism or theocratic governments again, or why nobody cared that we killed democracy to make space for religious fundamentalism, plutocratic corruption and militaristic fanaticism.

t. Not Yuro, Not American

Why can't you retards just stay in your containment board?

Nobody cares about your politics, faggot.

I'm from Russia and your knights can go dance on the ice. I call them for what they are.

Knighthood means nothing to me because I haven't really grown up in an area that had much authority, let alone someone people consider royalty who could bestow such a title on someone. Anyone I know who could've filled an analogue to a knight either received sanction by an informal recognition of the people or by joining a religious group.

This only really became clear to me when someone I played tabletop with had a completely different view on what a knight was compared to me, and then I realized how different the thought of such a champion in parts of the world is.

>if I disagree with it it must be /pol/!
What is /pol/ about recognizing we're accepring cultures and values that are inherently at disagreement with progressive values

They were just Thugs. Thugs trained from Childhood to fight for their lord. Nothing wrong with that; Feudalism is Feudalism.

>extended universe
>gross

Nah, extended universe is pretty cool compared to the source material.

If you've never seen it try the extended cut, imho it makes it into a genuinely good film.

Nostalgic rethoric doesn't make zeal right and no nation has ever been pure from malice.

You sure do when you encounter somehow who goes against your libshit narrative.

>wake up in mud hut
>go to harvest grain from the fields from sunrise to sundown
>give majority of the crop to lord so my family of 10 can live in our 15'x15' hut
>good thing Little Johnny died when he was born or we wouldn't be able to feed everyone
>King raises taxes to build another palace
>go to church, seeing more gold than any other place in my life
>die in the mud hut that I lived my life in at the ripe age of 30
>1000 years later your descendants talking about how feudalism is their heratige

Having the social status of being a knight.

In the real world:
>Misguided idealism, fighting people on the vassal's request, having fancy wargear, riding a horse and being part of a ruling class that will become increasingly obsolete over the centuries.

In a fantasy setting:
>Potentially miguided idealism, fighting monsters on the peoples behalf, having fancy wargear, riding a horse and being part of a privileged class that will not become increasingly obsolete over the centuries due to author bias.

The ideal of a time and place where martial force and adherence to a code of honor afforded more power than earning money through cheating everyone else you can cheat and being a shitter who gets off easy because daddy's title hides him from consequence.

It's unrealistic, I know, but the thought is still the one that pops up.

Hey guess what faggots?

If you don't like liberal western culture move to fucking Russia or Iran.

Nobody wants to listen to your politics on a board about tabletop gaming.

This.

Retards think that their ancestors were knights when in reality they were most likely peasants.

You misunderstand traditionalism if you think that national identity can be discarded so easily that an anglo-saxon can just "move to Russia"

Upholding your ideals even if you're the only person in the world who respects them, no matter how difficult it becomes.

Knighty things.

I do like liberal western culture. That's why I don't want to see it destroyed.

I would call you a cuck, but I'd rather this thread go back to talking about knights.

Being a high-ranking member of the feudal system.

Most likely inbred too, since a lot of peasants weren't allowed to move. I guess rape from soldiers did help with keeping the inbreeding from turning the entire population into full idiocracy.

The industrial revolution' the world wars and decline of monarchy is the best thing to happen in the last 200 years.

Why move to Iran when liberals are doing a fine job of letting the entire middle east come spilling into the US?

Mostly because USA fucked up the status quo in the Middle East and keep fucking with it because muh oil dependency.

>/pol Deus Cult faggotry defiles another thread

You spergs are ruining the crusades for me with your 19'th century tier romanticization of your ancestors, which you probably don't know anything objective about.

Cuckoldry and Knighthood do go together, though...

True. Even King Arthur was cucked by Sir. Lancelot.

you sure got him good user

>he believes the oil meme

Have fun transporting all your shit around the world without cheap dependable fuel. If you would just go cold turkey on oil the transportation prices would skyrocket.

Steady employment, opportunities to assist those in need, higher status, easier love life, and if I am lucky a group of close friends and a relatively benevolent boss.

Bushido.

I'm sure their were some mercaneries of noble birth throughout history, from 5th born sons or impoverished houses.

As examples, I mean

The status quo would have fucked itself either way sooner rather than later.