/kowg/

Kings of War/Mantic general: "We still have Tomb Kings" edition.

Condensed rules:
puggimer.net/documents/KOW_Ref_2-0.pdf
Books:
mediafire.com/folder/meedbza42sp4m/Kings_of_War
Errata:
manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/KINGS OF WAR/KoW FAQ and Errata 290915.pdf

Recommended list builder:
kow2.easyarmy.com
Hit "PDF" at the top right for easy posting of your lists
Includes relevant special rules on the last page.

Kings of Math Damage Calculator
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QBfREAWucgTPeoEhXxO3fqDU141IQw7Ajgp71m5cizs/edit#gid=0

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/475-the-vermin-swarm-vs/
ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Fantasy-Skaven-Army-13k-points-All-Well-Painted-with-Unified-Style-/301975038747?hash=item464f1d6b1b:g:TiEAAOSwDuJW1C~k
manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE RULES/KoW-rules.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Really need a bigger resolution image of that pic, I can't see shit

Wow wow wow, when did mantic start on tomb kings? Also, whats with all the focus on deadzone, especially when they finally have the chance to get a good grasp on the fantasy player base?

What's everyone's favorite vampire model?

Current the Russian alternative one I'm eyeing to buy

My flgs has both 9th age and AOS on the 'fantasy' night. I'm trying to chip off the players and convert to KOW one-by-one, but it's rough going.

We need a bigger player base.

I dont believe people should be limited to what games they play, but good luck with that. If they're die hard enough to stick to AoS, I doubt they'll ever truly let go entirely. It might be better to just try and blend it together with them, make it sound like WHFB lite. A sort of middle ground between AoS and 9th.

But I still cant fathom why mantic isn't pushing KoW. We got like, what, the infernals, and undead update since AoS popped? They /really/ should be pushing KoW as hard as possible instead of their weird 40k knock off

They announced the line for Empire of Dust right after Tomb Kings got squatted.

This x1000

This might be of some interest to some people, but pictures of the new Basilean heavy arbalest have popped up.

>Fixed
>Pewter
>Basilean M@A
NEW M@A KIT WHEN

I world seriously kill for a new M@A kit. Reduce the size to make them in scale with the rest of the line. Improve the heads. Add more option bits.

They could even sell extra metal parts to convert them into Brotherhood or Rhorida soldiers.

I agree, but I think the comunity is very healthy, were I live doesn't seem to have any AoS player tough 9th age had caught some steam.

I am currently assembling my KoW army. Only did skirmish before. Any tips on how to progress with painting/playing? Its my second day and I feel pretty tired as the task seems monumental to me.

Make some appropriately sized bases and then put as many models as you can be bothered to on each one.

I'm going for a skirmish aesthetic with my elves, so even without massive unit filler scenery pieces I'm only using about half the standard number of guys per units.

All that matters is base size and being able to identify at a glance what each base is supposed to represent. Should be able to start playing very quickly, then build up the look of the army afterwards.

This is my current assembly line, Im almost 70% done

Crossbowmen Infantry
Unit Size Sp Me Ra De At Ne Pts
OptionsRegiment(20) 5 5+ 5+ 4+ 10 14/16 130 Delete

Men-at-Arms(spear) Infantry
OptionsRegiment(20) 5 4+ - 4+ 15 14/16 135 Delete

Men-at-Arms(sword) Infantry
OptionsRegiment(20) 5 4+ - 4+ 12 14/16 115 Delete

Elohi Large Infantry
OptionsRegiment(3) 10 3+ - 5+ 9 -/14 195 Delete
OptionsRegiment(3) 10 3+ - 5+ 9 -/14 195 Delete

War-Wizard Hero (Inf)
Options (1) 5 4+ - 4+ 1 11/13 60 Delete

Phoenix Monster
Options (1) 10 3+ - 3+ 3 14/16 165 Delete

Seems solid, what army will be your oponent?

Nature and undead

What factions have access to healing
What are the strongest healing options they have

Thinking about Undead having Heal(6)
I don't think any other army comes near that
Non-shambling units include:
Ghouls (cheap tarpit)
Werewolves (light cavalry)
Soul Reavers (Heavy infantry or heavy cav)
Figure I can do anything with just those unit types if I have enough nerve that it's difficult to route without heavy damage, and I can undo any focusfire from them with multiple Heal(6).

Spectres got high def and a horde of skellies with undead dogs has lifeleech 2 and phalanx.

What points size should i be aiming at for a list?
I want to build an Undead army based on the dead in Game of Thrones, with white walkers being Vampires.
>the Vampire will be the Night King.
>the Soul reaver cavalry will be mounted White walkers.
>The undead trolls will be undead giants etc.
Thoughts on this list for play-ability

Elves have Heal (3) on mages as standard.

The Green Lady, of Elves and Forces of Nature, has heal 8

Can anybody spam more healing than the orcs? And it's a good thing too, because we mostly walk and have no ranged attacks.

Painting a whole army is not a small project, but an entire army painted even to a middling standard is attractive on the table.

I advise you to take up batch painting if you have not already, it can be dull but will save lots of time in the long run.

If you don't know, batch painting is when you systematically paint a whole bunch of the same soldiers at once, so you might do all of the armour on them over an evening, or all the leather base coat or the cloth highlight.

I think this is a great idea. You're going to get beat up on the march and the lich king looks like the best way to keep your hordes intact on the way to the battle.

Make yourself a schedule and stick to it. I find characters and monsters more fun to paint than rank-and-file as you can give them a bit more attention, so I use them as a 'reward' for finishing a regiment.

So say you have a regiment of 20 dudes, you could set a goal to paint a rank of five each day from Monday to Thursday and then paint a captain or something on the Friday as a change of pace.

Just make sure to set a night @ your flgs and stick to it. When players see that people are showing up regularly it will grow on it's own. We started with just myself and another guy. We have 60+ players now.

And how is KoW community now on the matter of custom models. Basicly I want to make my basilea to have a more dark fantasy broken feel and use some of my other miniatures , mainly I want to put in the middle of my unit a monster as a corrupted or dead elohi that is still clinging to life but can't function as an Ur-Elohi or be part of the angelic troops so he teams up with regular humans as their mascot.

I plan to put the wet nurse with a sisterhood horde and add some townsfolk women and children into the unit to craft an image of a cult that is much more basic in nature. Lets say this elohi got captured by the forces of the abyss which corrupted it with its dark magic and after they were done playing with it they threw it in with other prisoners of war and slaves (moslty widows and children). During months if not years of slavery the prisoners would develop this relationship with the twisted elohi which helped them survive by using its milk and some holy magic that it possessed and they would in turn protect it with fanatical zeal creating this zealotry cult of the Ash widows which consist of women of all ages clumping around their big breast tumor saint and beating everything that comes close while the monster does the healing

For the smoke armor I will put him along with paladis as this guy is just a ghost of an elohi who got zapped into nothing by a thunderstorm but was so full of fury that his spirit possesses this giant clump of armor that follows the paladin foot guards who swore an oath to keep fighting to the last untill the ghost is satisfied and can pass on.

Why do third party ratmen lines from different makers include chariots? Not only does that not fit in with the game systems most would use them for (Warmaster, Kow), but doesn't even make sense. Why would subterranean creatures have chariots?

Alas, I need to turn to geedubs models for my non-infantry needs. These Warmaster Rat Ogres cost me a pretty penny. It would appear that the Skaven specifically are very rare compared to other armies. Models at least look nice.

Well, given that you don't even need to use Mantic models, conversions are awesome. Hell, so are entire "counts as" armies; within reason (base sizes must be right, player must be upfront about what everything is).

Thinking about grabbing Dungeon Saga, anyone have it? How is it?

All the fantasy players at my store switched to KoW a while ago, and the owner started weekly events for it. Feels great.

It doesn't suffer from the roadblocks that SDE does, but it lacks a lot of the options that Descent has, and I would just recommend that for now. Supposedly there is an expansion that lets you customize and create characters among other things, so if you can get your hands on that then it may be worth it.

That woould work perfectly, as long as everything is based properly. I have been using a bunch of my Mierce figures along with GW Gors and Ungors to make up a Herd army as I wouldn't be able to use them otherwise due to no one playing Darklands.

Keep in mind that being 35mm, the average human sized Kingdom Death dude probably won't fit on a 20mm base. You can use the Storm Knight as an Ur-Elohi and say that it is your reincarnated paladin without any trouble.

You may want to look at the-ninth-age.com/lexicon/index.php?lexicon/475-the-vermin-swarm-vs/ along with the model suggestion threads on the Mantic forums for ideas. Ratmen are of course going to be less common than Orcs and Elves and such, but there are some good options out there.

60 players? 60? WOW. Where are you? I'm guessing London.
> tfw got my greendudes ready for scrapping, but no opponent...

kek. Upside down of course...

10mm Warmaster scale. Hard part is Daemonspawn and Rat Monstrosity. Neither of which geedubs made, or any 3rd party.

And yeah, I've thought about 28mm scale models for the large monsters, and it doesn't look right. Heads are too big, scale is all wrong.

As somebody trying to figure out how to Night-stalker with my 40k tryanids, I can confirm that there is almost no place in this game for something the size of a hive tyrant.

> Oldhammer orcs

Aww yeah

Can somebody please loan me 7k? I'll pay you back as soon as my complete run of 'X-Force' from the 90's appreciates and I cash in.

ebay.com/itm/Warhammer-Fantasy-Skaven-Army-13k-points-All-Well-Painted-with-Unified-Style-/301975038747?hash=item464f1d6b1b:g:TiEAAOSwDuJW1C~k

I'm honestly not sure how big the current one is, I haven't played 40k since 3e, but from what I've seen, geedubs monsters are now enormous. The oldschool 2e "screamer killer" carnifex or ogre sized Hive Tyrant are more in line with the sizes 28mm KoW uses (comfortable on a 50mm base).

My 28mm Skaven Verminlord is more than comfortable on that. The base is a little big for him, in fact, but given his huge weapon and tail fit over it, its just as well.

Unfortunately, there is no 10mm Verminlord. Or alternative at all. unless I just used a generic demon, which is no fun. I don't have the skills to convert a solid metal mini to that degree.

DESU, these guys had been sitting on the shelf for 20 years until my buddy introduced me to KOW. The last whfb game I played was pic related.

KOW is tits. This game is so good.

>That exalted verminlord
Why they ever got rid of that model will awlays be a mystery to me.

Because they needed to push the garbage that is the plastic kit. The busy, roided out monstrosity that takes a concentrated effort to even make out what its supposed to be.

My advice to anyone doing Ratkin is to buy the old pewter Verminlord. He's rather small and fits the bases KoW uses. While you can use bases larger than the recommended, its a tactical disadvantage, because it makes your monster easier to flank. I didn't even convert mine, he doesn't need wings to "fly", he can skitterleap. Lore friendly.

5 player only

You can just do what everyone else here does: use the 50x50 base regardless of the size of the model. Even if the base is entirely hidden under the model and has more hanging over the sides than it has directly on top of it.

I love KoW but that habit really irks me.

Here being my local group, not /kowg/

I've been wondering what I could use my GW chaos warrior chariot for, maybe a chieftan on direfang? Base is 20mm too long and the profile doesn't have any thunderous charge, not sure what else I could use. Could give it the Speed boost item, Spd 6 is a bit slow for a chariot. Any other ideas ?

Ally with KoM and use its chariots

I have some stuff in my ogre army that overhangs the default 40x40 by quite a lot, so I just have spare empty bases handy that I can swap it out with if it becomes a problem.

Would need more than one chariot and as I've only just started the force I don't wanna buy heaps just yet. Also they have bows, not sure how well that represents WoC..

Fair enough. Taking a Krudger on Chariot and a regiment of orcs or maybe even orclings to support it might be a better idea.

It also depends where it overhangs the base. Up really high, like most dragon models? That's cool, because it will usually be over other models.

This thing here overhangs really low, so it can't actually make contact in frontal or rear charges.

My specific one just has a really big weapon. Most infantry can fit under, but some can't, so I have a backup ready.

What if you modelled a big rock or something on the base, thus lifting the model up and allowing it to make base contact?

That would fix the issue. And with minis like pic related it would even be intuitive since its meant to be height 4.

Why not just use a longer base? The rules for monsters state that you can use any size that is at least 50mm with a few exceptions.

Its a tactical disadvantage to use a bigger base.

But I agree, that base is disgusting.

Also if you don't like a big plinth you could make a 'ramp' of sorts so only the front end is really lifted up. This lets it fit in all situations except when it's rear charged.

That's my stated problem: A larger base is legal, but players rarely use a larger base because it's a disadvantage.

What if you just got a block of wood or something with the same footprint as the base, then when you need to move into base contact, put the block down instead and put the model on top of it?

Kinda like how some people use blocks to balance movement trays on uneven terrain.

Oh man, I want to fight you so bad...

You want to fight me, the guy who posted, or the guy who owns the model?

all three
at once
ya big poof

Quick question: Where can I find the dimensions for a unit formation's base, that way I can multibase my skele hordes?

Tomorrow going to have a match of 3k against Undead with my KoM.

Any advice about this list? I haven't played 3k before and I'm not sure if its enough inspiring.

manticgames.com/SiteData/Root/File/FREE RULES/KoW-rules.pdf

In the core rulebook.

Have fun, multibasing is one of the ways in which KoW excels in the hobby aspect. That way you can make a diorama and make it looks like your skeletons are actually in a graveyard.

What do you guys think of Kaba's Holy Hand Grenades? I never really see them used but they can put out a few pretty solid hits if they do go off. Still, 25 points.
Also - do Vicious (from Abyssal Dwarf) or Elite (from Elves) apply to a Holy Hand Grenade Attack (and for the Abyssal Dwarfs, do their Mastiffs benefit from Vicious?)

>What do you guys think of Kaba's Holy Hand Grenades?

Solid way to fill a spare 25 points, particularly on a standard bearer or some such.

>Also - do Vicious (from Abyssal Dwarf) or Elite (from Elves) apply to a Holy Hand Grenade Attack

Yes.

>the Abyssal Dwarfs, do their Mastiffs benefit from Vicious?)
Yes, because Mastiffs count as a weapon being used by the vicious unit.

any word on the release date?

So... fast Def 6 individuals.

Ridiculous roadblocks, or fairly costed tools?

5th of August according to Might Ape.

Mantic tournament pack erratas them to def 5+.
Not official rules, but many tournaments are playing those rules and many playing them in their casual games, too.

Isn't it just the Ahmunite Pharaohs that are dropped to def5?

and cursed pharaohs.
and yeah my bad, I forgot there were others.

The grievous part of the pharoahs were that they were base def 6 so they could get wings and be anywhere. But units with def 5 can get ensorcelled armour, for example a mounted general with high nerve and def 6 can simply walk 1.1" in front of a horde of zombies and prevent it from having any meaningful participation for the rest of the game.

Or worse, it could walk in front of a unit just before a critical charge, so that you are unable to charge the desired target.

Shame on me for not occurring to me there were others really, because that's how I use the Green Lady.

Bump

That idea is awesome, add some ERE units for the rest of infantry too.

Does anyone have a good supplier of halfling minis ?

If the rest of the Basilean line would be of this standard I would consider starting a Basilean army.

The Littlewars halflings are my personal favorite, and they fit the 16th-17th century German theme very well.

If you're willing to hold out for a bit until they're on general sale, Westfalia did a recent kickstarter for excellent medieval-style Halflings and The Assault Group did another one for really good Landsknecht-style ones.

White Knight minis has a bunch of 16th century germany themed ones as well.

The TAG kickstarter was for mass-production of White Knight minis, they've done the same before with their dwarfs.

Used to basing everything on 25mm, and trying to do 20mm as that seems to be KoW standard. Fuck they're tiny, you can't fit shit on them.

Which army specifically? Either way, try multibasing. It is much more roomy and gives you some nice diorama opportunities.

I really don't want all my minis stuck to a plank that's only useful for one game. Sure, they look great, but I use these same ones for Frostgrave, SOBAH, D&D and as display pieces. I'm kinda meeting halfway by using some scenic unit fillers and different sized bases, though.

Base your unit fillers on larger bases or whatever then use movement trays, dude.

that's exactly what I'm doing?

Fair enough. In my experience all GW figures are made to fit 20mm bases short of Orcs and Chaos Warriors, whose KoW equivalents give them exceptions. Are you sure that you haven't misread something? Either way you may want to just do what said as a movement tray made for a 20mm regiment can still fit your 25mm based dudes, but with 4 man ranks instead of 5 which is perfectly legal in game.

Oh. What's the problem then?

Many minis don't fit nicely on 20mm bases, let alone with enough room to base nicely, or rank up
I'm not using GW figures.

KoW has provisions for 25mm bases, see , Also remember the 60% rule, you don't need to include the full compliment of miniatures specified for a unit size, just 60% of them.

I.e. a regiment of (nominally) 20 dudes can consist of as few as 12 models, just space them out a bit.

m8 i'm not an idiot, I've read the rules, I've played the game.
I'm just having a big old bitch about these annoying ass minis wot I am using.

Fair enough, have fun with your bitchin'.

Then use your figures on 25mm bases. They will rank nicely after you do that and put them in appropriate movement trays. The only real problem you could ahve is space in the back of the tray, but that shouldn't be a problem in any case.
What figures are you using anyways? If they are Reaper or Privateer Press figures then of course they are going to be larger than is standard due to how Americans measure scale.