Space Marine size actualization

How do I wrap my head around how big a space marine is compared to a normal human?

Being 5' tall, I am always struck by how the authors describe a SM as a lumbering hulk that a normal human finds monstrous.

That doesn't seem to be captured in the miniatures though. But I've seen some art (that eldar pict) that catputred the violence and absurd size of these super humans.

How do I capture this in my games? Also pictures of ridiculous sized future humans would be cool.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Chapter_Approved/Movie_Marines
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Being 5' tall

What a manlet. I think your problem is just that you're a manlet. Have you considered not being a manlet?

40k human models are larger than they're supposed to be.

It's hard to picture something being huge when you only get height. I'm 5'8 and when I think of a person who is 6'6 that doesn't seem impressive, but when I actually see them in the flesh they seem massive. In your mind you think of height as a straight line without taking girth into consideration.
Got back to / fit /

> Buy a plane ticket to LA
> Locate Shaq O'Nielle
> Take a picture with him
> Imagine his height is augmented with another foot or two by way of power armor
> That's how you wrap your head around that

Fat scale marines are larger than they're supposed to be, too.

marines are hovering around 7'
not like, 15'

> I'm 5'8 and when I think of a person who is 6'6 that doesn't seem impressive, but when I actually see them in the flesh they seem massive.

I can confirm this one. Whenever we lined up in the endzone in the band in college, it was always kind of a psychological shock at how BIG the football players running by us to the locker room where. I'm 6'0 and like 185, but the smallest of these dudes are like 6'2, and most of them are like 6'6" or taller, and they're just big fuckin dudes even without their padding on.

To answer your question though, OP, a good idea is to picture Shaq with the musculature of Dwayne Johnson (pic related). That's about how big a Space Marine should be.

Assuming you mean this picture OP?

I've always pictured Space Marines as being dudes the approximate size of The Mountain that can outrun Usain Bolt and have faster movements than Bruce Lee.

>Being 5 ft tall
>Surprised a being that's 8ft tall is hard to imagine
I'm 6'3 and you'd probably be intimidated by my height as well, but really it's just a change of perspectives

Remember that.
Perspective.
"The space marine looks down into your eyes"
"You tilt your head to look up at the damage on his helm
"He scans the area over your heads"
Imagine being on stairs

Remember, these humans have had 40k years to evolve, there may be some pure strain humans who are 8ft tall

It's a start. Yeah, it needs improvement, but it's better than what we have now (which is every character is the same damn size).

I always figured that with fluff Marines if you see them at all it's because they haven't decided to kill you yet. The scary part would be how the hell almost a ton of muscle and armor could make no noise at all.

>40k years
More like 37k. Also I don't think it's enough time for really major evolutionary changes.

"pure strain humans" It's heavily implied in some of the fluff that the Imperium isn't really made up of humans at all, and that the "men of gold" were the pure strain humans. The people who make up the Imperium are the Men of Stone, genetically engineered colonist stock meant to be bigger, stronger and more obedient than a normal human. The pure strains would be the manlets.

it's not better

it's equally incorrect
and significantly more obnoxious thanks to retards lauding how
"accurate" and "true to the fluff" it is

I'd rather see new cadians with less bulky pads than a new set of marines that invalidates literally every plastic kit GW's put out since '98.

>The scary part would be how the hell almost a ton of muscle and armor could make no noise at all.

To be fair that's only Raven Guard, and their whole shtick is being super-quiet.

Other Space Marines still make noise, but not any more than a regular person does (though Power Armor is said to whirr). They're still ridiculously quiet for their size, but they make noise.

Now, "Transhuman Dread," on the other hand, would be fucking terrifying to witness first hand.

>"Transhuman Dread,"
What is this? The fear of seeing basically supermen?

Almost like uncanny valley. You see something that's supposed to be human and yet at the same time is "more" than human. The worst of the affects come from seeing something that big move with such speed and grace that it's not natural. It gives normal humans the creeps

Thanks that's the one. I love the sense of action and the terror of horry fuvk those r beeg!

>New fluff I've never heard of/more of that head cannon bullshit
>Correcting me on years like a year nazi
Hey fuck you kiddo
>Implying I implied they grew tails extra appendages or anything constituting a major evolution
>Ogryn became ogryn in The span of 37k years
>>Implying humans can't grow that tall if ogryn can become ogryn
Humanities average height and other traits have increased/changed noticeably over the span of a few centuries, your logic is flawed on many levels

Basically, the sight of Space Marines fighting at 100% causes people to have nervous breakdowns and panic, because people expect Space Marines to be slow due to their formidable size - and they're not. They're WAY faster than regular people are, and they hit harder, and can tank wounds that kill regular people and only get even more pissed off. Our lizard-brains can't handle this, and it can make people basically throw down their arms in fear if not flat-out run away.

Actually makes sense when you think about it.

It's detailed by survivors of a Space Marine attack in the beginning of the Horus Heresy series.

You are some dumb farmer called up to defend your planet from the foreign devils. You are sitting in a trench with a crappy gun and no food. Suddenly from out of the sky comes an 8ft figure on a pillar of fire, clad in armor with golden winged crest. His gun is the size of your heavy machine gun emplacements. He hefts it in one hand and a single shot sends dirt and limbs flying 30 feet in the air. That is Transhuman Dread.

You forgot to mention the part where he sprints about as fast as your troop transport drives, and he can literally bat away strikes you try to land on him with your shitty combat knife before he snaps your neck with one hand and flings your corpse into your comrades to knock them down before he charges them with a knife the size of a short sword.

All this while you shoot him in the face and all it does is piss him off because it doesn't get through his armor.

Most of the changes in human physique in the last few centuries are entirely the result of changes in diet. A human baby from 1100AD would grow up much larger if fed a modern Western diet than a subsistence diet consisting mostly of carbohydrates. No evolution just PROTEIN SON!

Maybe something like an elephant stampede. Where you see a lumbering creature, but at full warp you're about to get mushed.

Oh I would be far too busy crapping my pants to bother shooting him.

That picture is the one that's made by completely filling up the armor, right? They can't actually be that big because there needs to be room for the "power" and "armor" bits in there, too.

Its too bad none of the videos/cutscenes on space marines capture this, they are always shown as being pretty lumbering, with only their running speed increased.

>"Transhuman dread. Aximand had heard iterators talk of the condition. He’d heard descriptions of it from regular Army officers too. The sight of an Adeptus Astartes was one thing: taller and broader than a man could ever be, armoured like a demigod. The singularity of purpose was self-evident. An Adeptus Astartes was designed to fight and kill anything that didn’t annihilate it first. If you saw an Adeptus Astartes, you knew you were in trouble. The appearance alone cowed you with fear.

>"But to see one move. Apparently that was the real thing. Nothing human-shaped should be so fast, so lithe, so powerful, especially not anything in excess of two metres tall and carrying more armour than four normal men could lift. The sight of an Adeptus Astartes was one thing, but the moving fact of one was quite another. The psychologists called it transhuman dread. It froze a man, stuck him to the ground, caused his mind to lock up, made him lose control of bladder and bowel. Something huge and warlike gave pause: something huge and warlike and moving with the speed of a striking snake, that was when you knew that gods moved amongst men, and that there existed a scale of strength and speed beyond anything mortal, and that you were about to die and, if you were really lucking, there might be just enough time to piss yourself first."

-Age Of Darkness Page 163

None of the books even manage to capture it, unless they're from IG POV.

>Cain and the Valhalla's kill khornates(who go 289% on martial principle)
>Gaunt and his ghosts regularly blow up traitor marines, gaunt(as a commissar) has never had to execute a man of TANITH for cowardice
>There's humans with stats better than spacemarines
Don't read the codex lore too much, every faction is filled with 'wez are duh greetest evar' trash

>That pic
>"Astartes O'Neil, sir, we're holding our own but the xenos have managed a some lucky half-court shots and are now up by two."
>"By the Emperor, we shall prove the game of man is superior! Guardsman, prepare to pass to me!"

>Transhuman dread. Aximand had heard iterators talk of the condition. He’d heard descriptions of it from regular Army officers too. The sight of an Adeptus Astartes was one thing: taller and broader than a man could ever be, armoured like a demigod. The singularity of purpose was self-evident. An Adeptus Astartes was designed to fight and kill anything that didn’t annihilate it first. If you saw an Adeptus Astartes, you knew you were in trouble. The appearance alone cowed you with fear.
But to see one move. Apparently that was the real thing. Nothing human-shaped should be so fast, so lithe, so powerful, especially not anything in excess of two metres tall and carrying more armour than four normal men could lift. The sight of an Adeptus Astartes was one thing, but the moving fact of one was quite another. The psychologists called it transhuman dread. It froze a man, stuck him to the ground, caused his mind to lock up, made him lose control of bladder and bowel. Something huge and warlike gave pause: something huge and warlike and moving with the speed of a striking snake, that was when you knew that gods moved amongst men, and that there existed a scale of strength and speed beyond anything mortal, and that you were about to die and, if you were really lucking, there might be just enough time to piss yourself first.

Even if they just ran fast that wouldn't be too bad, but the grace and dexterity combined with all that just does not compute. Hell, its hard for me to even imagine it

By that vein of logic the advances in diet and medicine can further the human growth patterns even more in m42

I also recall Annette writing a male in his prime without rejuvenat drugs to use is in his 40's

Humans in their prime are 40
They can be 8 ft tall before augmetics

I really don't get why people rave about the ghosts books.

Do'h, beat me to it.

And reminding oneself that "they're on our side. You know, the side with the tanks the size of houses" does nothing?

And even if they WEREN'T on your side, you still have tanks the size of houses.

Are you just talking about ICs? Or are there human grunts with better stats than Space Marines? All I can think of for hyper-elite humans is SoB and D-99, and both are still S3 T3, despite their augmentation.

Space marine models are the correct height theyre just in that retarded squat pose and their proportions are wrong

Eh, if you have literally Quadrillions of a species running around, some are likely to break the bell curve. I mean how many fucking Caines or Gaunts are there in the universe?

>>Cain and the Valhalla's kill khornates(who go 289% on martial principle)

Cain is also described as an exceptional swordsman (whose very moves are taught across the sector, IIRC, though he refuses to acknowledge this fact) and that Berserker in question, by Cains own admission, would have killed him through raw stamina had Jurgen not shot the Berserker in the face with a Meltagun.

And they're exceptional humans who more often than not have undergone a lifetime of military training to give them that level of skill.

Tabletop stats don't align perfectly with the fluff about the setting, user.

Are you expecting for the lore to be consistent? How often do Space Marines get killed by random cultists?

>And reminding oneself that "they're on our side. You know, the side with the tanks the size of houses" does nothing?

That doesn't stop it from being spooky as fuck, knowing that you're fighting directly alongside beings that basically defy "hind-brain logic" in how they move?

>And even if they WEREN'T on your side, you still have tanks the size of houses.

Doesn't really mean much when you're being shot at by these things that rationally shouldn't exist.

You seriously underestimate the power of morale and fear on the battlefield, especially mid-battle.

I don't either, I'm just citing them.
Cain is more fun to read
Eisenhorn is right there next to the Cain novels
Popping open the ig codex reveals unscented humans with better ws and bs than spacemarines
>Stats don't match fluff
True, but it helps further my point that fluff where trained soldiers with commissars at their heels shit themselves at the sight of a marine are trashy fluff

This new friend spacemarines wanking is cancerous

>unscented humans

>Popping open the ig codex reveals unscented humans with better ws and bs than spacemarines

Which ones? The Independent Characters who are unique and exceptional individuals in a galaxy of trillions?

>True, but it helps further my point that fluff where trained soldiers with commissars at their heels shit themselves at the sight of a marine are trashy fluff

It's not a universal phenomenon, and one not displayed by people who have experience fighting Space Marines. It's one that's documented in people who've never fought against/alongside Space Marines before, as it's such a mental shock.

You're taking "documented phenomenon" to mean "always happens all the time," which isn't the case.

>Trillions in the galaxy
>(On the lower side of)Billions of Lord commissars schlepping around who can beat space marines in duels

A lot of colonist were already augemented before they left the solar system, men of stone. A lot more augemented themselves further when they made planet fall outside the solar system. I remember one shirt about a commissar being taken in by people who had to turn themselves in centaurs to survive the high gravity planet they were stuck on.

Anyone watched "halo the fall of reach"? its a cgi movie showing the training of children and "gene stock for the orbital marines or whatever.

it seemed like it was pulled out of 40k. the kids were eventually augmented and so on.

Cain, a swordsman of legendary skill, trades a few blows with a World Eater buying time for a killshot with a melta and admits internally that he is outmatched.
He later manages to put down another one after it'd had it's armour ripped open and shit kicked in.

And the Ghosts, who are basically a SpecOps group, take out physically superior foes with cunning plans.

Not a great argument you have there.

The uncanny valley and terrifying acts of violence don't lose their unsettling qualities because they aren't happening to you.

> Popping open the ig codex reveals unscented humans with better ws and bs than spacemarines
Citation. Needed.

Oh you mean men like Cain? People of superb skill that still wouldn't want to fight a Marine toe to toe?

>Using citation needed on a well known statfact
>Only ever reading a SM codex(or reading no codices at all)
>Babbiz first codex detected
Lord.
Commissar.
Ws5
Bs5
Go marine wank somewhere else son.
Let's not even get into augmented humans like admec who have numbers, augmented skills AND bodies to drown the marines in.

>Billions of Lord commissars schlepping around who can beat space marines in duels

Ciaphas Cain is one of the most renown swordsmen in the Segmentum, and even he has difficulty fighting Marines. Run-of-the-mill Commissars are not much better than regular soldiers.

Look, I play guard, but you gotta stop wanking the exceptions like they're the norm.

>Lord.
>Commissar.

Are basically the 5-Star Generals of the Commissariat, and are a handful of the total number of Commissars that exist. It's entirely natural they would be some of the most skilled in their class, and EVEN THEN they're still S3 and T3, which makes them weaker than Space Marines.

It's not Marine wank to say that Marines are terrifying foes for regular dudes to face, and the fact that some non-Marines are as skilled doesn't make Marines any less dangerous and exception, especially when accounting for the fact that they're still ridiculously more durable, stronger, and hit faster than base humans.

Base humans are weaker than Space Marines. That's an in-universe truth that is only rarely broken by exceptional individuals, but even those individuals are only better than the "low" end of Space Marines. And that's completely fine - Guard and Space Marines are used in entirely different fashions to accomplish different military goals and in different contexts from one another.

> Lord.
> Commissar.
> Unaugmented.
Whew lad you are new. Or just set on not reassessing your chosen perspective. Try a convincing argument next time instead of ranting.
And hey, how does the rest of that Lord's statline go?
I'm guessing it's not S4T4 AS 3+

That's because marines haven't been made any more elite since rogue trader, when they were pretty much stormtroopers in power armour.

Hence the power creep of lesser beingz.

>Shitposting so hard it's gentle

Forget about the sword skills, how the hell is a regular human with regular weaponry supposed to hurt a space marine through his armor? You'd think nothing short of heavy artillery would hurt these guys.

>All this marine and guard wanking
When will you silly meatbags learn?

Drown them in shots.

>Lord.
>Commissar.
>Ws5
>Bs5
wew

>everyone equating fluff with crunch
thats where you are wrong, the fluff and crunch hardly line up in 40k, and space marines are the worst offenders. Your typical space marine tabletop army is expected to take on forces that outnumber them dozens if not hundreds of times over. WD did a ruleset for more fluff accurate marines, and they were broken as hell
1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Chapter_Approved/Movie_Marines

Power swords, bolter-type weaponry chainswords and power fists are common enough around most IG (though the chainswords is a pretty far shot, all can kill battle ready marines in fl)uff
It's commonly stated that a point blank lasbolt to a marines head will boil his brain and drop him, even with a helmet on.
Other than that a regular human needs to pray a commissar won't see him running
>Replying to the shitposter
Wew lad.
....still better than a tac marine
>Not submitting yourself to the omnissias will
Where did I hide the stats for a tecpriest dominus?

They don't. Even things like chainswords can't do much to a marine that's fighting back.
Marines are vulnerable to things like Plasma and Meltagun, Power Weapons and HE explosives.
That said they certainly don't want to just tank a squad's worth of lasgun shots and frag grenades to the chest, because that will chip away at their armour and eventually hit one of the small, less protected areas.
But yeah, mostly it's call in the special/heavy weapon teams or hope you've got a lot of dudes.

Foolish fleshbags, we have already created an automated wanking device from this mostly intact STC.
Admittedly it did take Magos Thull's augmentics off at the waist when he tested it, but we're pretty sure that was due to user error.

He must not have recited the hym of the unyielding piston properly.

DAoT, man.
Pure humans ceased to exist long ago, they're all genefixed and given even greater and faster adaptability.

I wish this ridiculous fan theory would die already.

>ridiculous
It's not really though. If you had the tech to bend star systems to your whims, why would you not give your colonists, or your everyone, a leg up?

it's only bad because it bends the truth. Genetically modified DAoT colonies isn't speculation, it's the fluff.

The stupid fan theory is that ALL humans are genetically modified (hurr catachans are half ogryn). Which is wrong.

The humans who would go on to build the men of iron don't come across as the kind that plan for bad outcomes and move to mitigate the bad outcomes
It's not cannon
It's fan invented like that fucking 50k asshat

>What a manlet.
It's a girl.

A womanlet, then.

Enhance your calm, mate. I don't mind either way.

5ft is still damn short for a woman bub.

>Wolverine
>calling anyone else short

....what??

There's plenty of WS5 BS5 ICs out there. But are there any S4 T4 troops that aren't Space Marines?

>All this loyalist wanking.
Don't feel bad servants of the corpse emperor, Nurgle posting was inevitable.

See . Heh.
Necrons, Nobs...there are a few others, I'm certain.

>you will never be an 8 foot tall demigod amongst men
>you will never see someone become an 8 foot tall demigod amongst men
>humanity will never reach the level of technology required to produce 8 foot tall demigods amongst men

You can still be a big guy for some people. And that's what counts.

Be an 8ft tall demi-god in your heart user, I believe in you!

Kek'd
kys my man!

Necrons, orks, assorted Tyranids, assorted admech units.....

>Keking your own post
No, seriously samefag.

Jesus, what a giant douchebag.

>Necrons, Nobs
okay how about some with more than I2

I don't want to be a big guy for just some people; I want to be a big guy for all people ;_;
>you will never crush the skulls of the enemies of mans beneath your feet
>you will never feel the Earth quake from your titantic footfalls
>you will never know, without a shred of uncertainty or doubt, that you are important and that people rely on you

Thanks user, that makes me feel a little better

>you will never know, without a shred of uncertainty or doubt, that you are important and that people rely on you
Aww, don't say that, user.

Being tall sucks bro, being 6'3 in a world made for people who are 5'10 is sore foreheaded suffering
Add in the left handedness and I could start a sub movement on tumblr about how short right-handed people are making me bow to them when I enter doorways and forcing me to be right handed to use fancy butter knives or scissors
CHECK YOUR PRIVELEDGE YOY RIGHTHANDED HEIGHT OPPRESSING SCUM

>Be 5'6
>Best friend is 6'7
>All sense of scale in fantasy and sci-fi is completely relatable and easily imagined.

Feelsgood

Hey, look at it that way: you're almost a mutant.

The real thing is if you had the exceptional advantage of being super fucking fast compared to an average person you weapon skill would naturally be higher, especially when you consider how well trained and maintained the average marine is, compared to a base line human they should be indescribably terrifying, like vampires in movies, Eldar should be the same, but with normal baseline str, while an Eldar will do the 1000 punches in a second, a marine will do 500 but punch each through your body turning you into a mangled corpse if it wants too. Why create what are basically cybernetical and geno supersoldiers if they couldn't trash baseline humans so throughly. It's like navy seals vs a party of hunters in terms of experience for a marine compared to an ig veteran squad, how many whiteams shields had to die for the members of that squad be brought together? A few thousand?

For once double dubs lie.

But it's true; there are so many people that I can't, nor ever will be able to, help.

I'm 190cm and everything feels like it was made for dwarves, all the time.

shirou plz

no