EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Puca Edition: Do you use puca trade for filling out your decks at all?

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/roon-of-the-awakened-realm/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/16-06-16-endrek-sahr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oshit, Ive had one of these for years, and just now realized how sick it could be in Zedruu.

My deck case can hold 8 Commander decks and I currently have 7. I need ideas for an eighth and final deck.

1.) Aurelia RW Midrange/Aggro
2.) Zegana Ramp Big Fatties
3.) Roon Man-Lands
4.) New Dralnu Stax/Combo
5.) Mishra Artifacts
6.) Melek Spellslinger
7.) Lovisa Tribal/Aggro
8.) ???

I've got most archetypes covered already, so I'm at a lost as to what to make to round out my decks.

>Roon Man-lands
Care to elaborate?

You dont have graveyard theme? Meren, Mimeo maybe. Or Shattergang sacrifice. Or voltron, but meh.

A Bant Deck headed by Roon that's designed to either utilize existing manlands or otherwise turn normal, boring, not man-lands into creatures with various enchantments, creatures, and effects. So far it's fairly mediocre in power, which is fine since most of my meta complains about my other decks. Trying to boost its power without making it oppressive.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/roon-of-the-awakened-realm/

Aurelia is more-or-less a Voltron deck (equipping her with swords and whatnot tends to be the go-to plan), although I have a few backup strategies in there as well.

I've actually been thinking about building Meren for awhile, and that would round things out quite nicely.

Artifact tribal and/or stax

Does Venser's Journal's life gain per card count as a seperate instance for each one?

It happens from one trigger

It's on trigger. When it resolves you gain all the life equally to your hand size atm.

Has anyone on ran geralf?
Been tinkering on different builds but they change constantly so I have not been able to come up something I could without a doubt commit to buy.

His sister is better.

reading the letters between those two makes me want to build a grimgrin with him and his sister in the same deck

I want to make a deck for him now. Just the thought of going against a big green stompy deck makes me smile.

A mono black or W/B/G commander would kinda even out your colors.

This guy has been in the back of mind my mind lately for an Aristocrat style deck with things like ravenous rats

In reply to

What kinda deck case you usin, my man?

I'm building Endrek Sahr, which would even out your colors, like said.

>Do you use puca trade for filling out your decks at all?
Puca is baller to sell the hyped shit that shot up because of Tiny Shitters and get a ton of jank I never found around to stick into decks. I just need to get a hold of stuff to sell now, I only have 20- commons and stuff like that on my box now it seems.

Puca has worked well for me to trade off singles I was never going to use. Specifically for cards less than 5 bucks. Supply/demand is a real thing an everyone wants lands and power so you see that in wish lists a lot unfulfilled. I keep mine curated with what I need for decks with under $10 cards and I usually get them.
My good buddy runs him big blue. He plays for the flavor but personally it always feels like he underperforms. When he gets going though seems like he could be fun. I see the same problem as my Noyan Dar in that deck you got to get those fatties to connect.

You need mono black to round things out. Build suicide black.
Kuro suicide black

Don't build Kuro he's terrible

Build Skittles

It's a leather bound briefcase and the decks are held in clear Ultra Pro 100 count cases.

Ignore this guy. Kuro is great. It's like a plague wind in the command zone

>tfw you will never play Geralf vs a friend's Gisa
>or Muzzio vs Daretti
>or any legendary pair like that
Meh

I kept wondering why everyone was saying I needed a mono-black deck and then I realized I put the wrong commander down for my Stax deck.

It's actually Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet Stax/Combo with a minor Humans/Vampires theme.

All this talk of Geralf, Gisa, and Grimgrin is actually making me want to build a graveyard zombies deck in UB.

So after the talk about Endrek Sahr in the thread before last, I realized I had one laying around and threw together a quick version of him last night with mostly stuff I had laying around. Before I go buying the rest of this, anything obvious I'm missing or anything seem terrible I should remove? I think Conspiracy naming Humans + Xathrid Necromancer + any sac outlet is going to be pretty goddamn fun.

So I havnt ever built a mono blue deck. I have been looking, and I was thinking about Kaho. The problem is I was just recently looking at the edhrec page for her and its completely filled with crap I hate to play against or would hate to do to someone else (other than the Hinder/Tunnel Vision combo). So my question to you all is this.

Do you think its possible to build Kaho as a mono blue instant tutoring commander without being the blue player everyone hates?

I mean, what blue instants are you gonna be tutoring that are so unique? She comes down on turn 4 and telegraphs the 3 instants you find, they're not any cheaper to cast with her ability, you have to wait a turn to cast one of them, and if she eats a removal spell in the meantime you just lose them forever.

Too much risk, not enough reward.

>a plague wind in the command zone
What the fuck version of Kuro are you playing

>9CMC
>sac unless BBBB paid on upkeep
>no evasion

He's a shittier, legendary Lord of the Pit that lets you pay 1 life for -1/-1 on something. I like paying life for stuff but that's just not very good

That changes things

You need some Jund or Junk in your life.

OR fuck it, 5 color turbofog w/Maze's End wincon

Kuro + Horobi = "Pay 1 life, target creature's controller sacrifices it".

It's not just "a Plague Wind", but it can be pretty backbreaking.

OK yeah, it's good with something else, but Kuro by himself doesn't make a huge dent

Eh, depending on what you're up against, he can fuck up your opponent's board pretty heavily. Even without just paying the full life to kill things, he can fuck up combat enough they won't swing. They COULD attack with their 6/6, but if you can just pay 2 life and block it with a 5/5 they aren't going to.

Combine that with all the life-drain effects black has and a Kuro can just indefinitely keep your opponent's board clear.

newfag reporting, where do you guys buy singles from? Theres a handfull of websites but which one is the most trustworthy?

i think that user has an issue with, is that its going to be rather expensive to keep playing out from command zone, with the ammount of sweeps that is in the format. you COULD get more mana doublers, but at that point, drana is a much more effective general, that while it uses mana, black is very good with that, cryptghast, nirkana reverent, cabal cofers, etc

i love kuro too but just having him die a coupe times hurts. unless you find a way to put him to hand from gy every time to get around hwo expensive he will be

The "big" sites like Starcity and CFB are the most trustworthy. They cost a bit more, but they have really good inventory, good customer service, and you don't have to worry about them ripping you off or suddenly "canceling" your order due to "overselling" if a card spikes in price.

There's cheaper sites, but generally the cheaper you go the more risky it is.

Yeah this is my chief issue. 6BBB for your first cast is a lot to ask, and while you have stuff like Coffers, Doubling Cube and Ghast to get there, that'll start to get prohibitively expensive if he dies a couple times

Black is Tutortown too, and just pulling up those same cards would get boring. Part of why my Godo deck has gotten boring, it's
>ramp, play Godo, tutor Blade of Selves
>poop out Equipment, make Godo bigger

It's a strong deck but a very linear one

Making a Maelstrom Wanderer deck and I'm completely lost on how I should make this. DO I just fill the deck with land search, rocks and permanents that cost 7 or less?

That's why I really dislike playing with one specific player in my group. ALL the decks he's ever built were hyper-linear.

He started with Godo (tuned for 1v1) and it was literally just "ramp into Godo, spam equipment, win if not disrupted"

Then he moved onto Iname, which was "cast Iname to put entire creaturebase in graveyard, rez with Patriarch's Bidding, grind game out irritatingly". He'd auto-scoop to Bojuka Bog because his deck had literally no way to win outside that 'combo'.

Then he put together a 1v1 Yisan build where he'd tutor the exact same creatures in the exact same order every game, and every game ended with "Craterhoof, swing a billion".

He now has a Nu-Teferi deck that only ever attempts to win by comboing Teferi, Tezzeret, mana rocks, and The Chain Veil with counterspell backup.

It's tiresome.

Who here is willing to run off color fetches in their decks? Who here hates that?

I run off-color fetches in just a few decks. My Trostani runs them because I want her coming out on turn 4 consistently, and my Gitrog runs them because Gitrog.

Godo is THE deck in my group. It instantly makes me the archenemy, and I love it

I break it out when I want to just go turbo and slug the shit out of my group, but I'll probably temporarily retire it in favor of some other stuff I'm working on

So, like, does nobody in your group run any disruption?

Because how that should go is "I cast Go- oh, you had a Doom Blade, cool."

>So, like, does nobody in your group run any disruption?
More or less. I'm the only one who does

They've gotten better though. I have also taught them the importance of mana rocks through the liberal use of MLD

Funny thing is, my group is trending AWAY from mana rocks a bit because of how much incidental artifact wiping there is. It's never "Oh, I need to get those rocks", it's just that there's enough artifact heavy decks that you can expect to lose a third of your mana base to a Shatterstorm or an Austere Command every other game.

>mfw running stony silence, austere command, creeping corrosion, shatterstorm and seeds of innocence in the same deck

I usually get mine from tcgplayer. Depending on the seller you can also get your order earlier than listed and some cards are acquired relatively cheap, only problem is if you like free shipping you may have to spend at least $1 at that seller or you or spend $25+ from various sellers.

Tl;dr tcgplayer sells alot of cards and I trust it

TCGPlayer is a mixed bag, since it's a marketplace type thing. I've seen people get cards packaged perfectly fine for affordable prices in reasonable time, and I've had people get Fulminator Mages sent in a plain white envelope and a penny sleeve.

I did, it's already a group favorite for the flavor of conflicting zombie styles

Yes I use puca. It has been nice to trade an Inquisition of kozilek for two Mind's Eye. Or my buddy sold off his foil daze for basically an entire deck. One thing I discovered is several people offer a 1.6:1 deal if you buy points from them rather than the site. I still haven't done it as I use puca to stop spending money but a buddy dropped a cheeky $25 and said it went smoothly.

At GP Albuquerque there was a guy in full Geralf cosplay who had a Grimgrin deck that was 100% Innistrad Zombie Themed. It was glorious.

Memnarch players deserve it honestly.
Yes I am butthurt.

>pic is my new playmat, what do you guys think?

I like it.

What do you think of my playmat?

Memnarch is definitely annoying but it's a guy's Kozilek deck that really triggered me. Having out on turn 3 is no fun

>at friend's house playing EDH
>He invites a coworker to play
>He plays a Jhoira deck
>Turn 4 suspends two Eldrazi
>Complains when the table kills him off within 3 turns after that
>mfw

I'm the only one who runs really artifact-heavy decks, but they're learning. Blowing up lands will do that. Also keeping lands in hand to recover from a Bust instead of topdecking a land and immediately dropping it on the table

I'm honestly surprised there's not a pepe or a Dat Boi on your idiot playmat.

>Suspends 2 Eldrazi
>Not a Kozilek and an Obliterate
what a scrub

It was made by someone who doesn't actually play Magic. Not bad I'd say.

I'm playing memnarch tonight. can't wait to drink those tears.
>tfw mycosynth lattice, training grounds and krark-clan ironworks

>playing teysa tokens against mimeoplasm, vorosh, and narset
>narset player has hate boner for the mimeoplasm player for whatever reason
>while killing mimeoplasm guy he exiles tragic arrogance and decides to cast it
>me and vorosh guy begin laughing like retards as we both have blood artist out
>after the result of tragic arrogance narset player takes about 80 life loss enough to drop him
>narset guy apologizes to mimeoplasm guy who proceeds to destroy him for the rest of the night and wins majority of the games that night, even managing a turn 3 kill against narset using mimeoplasm

got a list? im interested...

I really hope you don't think that goes infinite.

I mean, it's good, it's basically "Pay 4 to steal one thing and sac it, then pay 2 to steal-and-sac anything I can target thereafter", but it doesn't go infinite if you think it does.

Any suggestions for Endrek before I go and buy the rest of this? It's comprised of mostly stuff I already had, so not super optimized, but I'm not opposed to adding a few things to my shopping list.

Is the Assault Suit just there to occasionally force a draw?

I use CoolStuffInc since I can also buy board games, miniatures, and other shit with my cards.

Pay 2 my friend. training grounds -2's his steal an artifact ability. lattice makes everything an artifact

Derp, I forgot you don't have to make stuff an artifact with Lattice out. I was just focusing on the 'can spend mana like it's anything'.

Reading the letters between those two makes me want to fucking punch something for how awful they are.

>he doesnt wish he had an adorable shitty cute sister to have necrowarfare with

*shrugs shoulders*

Is it possible to make a deck on a ~$30 budget?

You can build a descent Mikaeus list for $20 + shipping

granted he already has a mikeaus already, otherwise its around 50

Yes.

Walk over to Target, pick up the Meren deck, then hand the clerk 35 dollars.

I know and I have several ~$30 deck lists saved but am unsure about buying them? Would it be worth it to just buy it then upgrade it as time goes on?

Do you have any collection beforehand? If not, buying one of the precons for $35 may be your best bet, unless you want to play a one-trink pony like Sidisi Ad Nauseam.

well, ashling is also a thing, i think. valakut, ashling the pilgrim, 98 mountains

I already have the Marath precon and its pretty fun. I don't have much of a collection either, just a bunch of cards I picked up from the Shadows pre release event as well as some older ones but that's it.

I win a game every now and then with my Meloku the Clouded Mirror deck. All I run are 99 islands

That's a meme deck and you know it.

So instead of building a second deck, why not spend 30 dollars beefing up the Marath deck you enjoy?

The fuck are you playing against? I can't see that winning games even if you were using Spanish Meloku.

Do you want to build a second deck or upgrade Marath/Mayael/Gahiji? In case you want to upgrade, I will advise you that Marath is the strongest commander in that precon, but probably also the most expensive to improve on. Mayael works with pretty much any fatties and can be about as budget as you want her to be. Never played against a Gahiji deck, but he seems like you'd either want to go wide, which can be cheap, or play political cards, which could be more expensive.

I would rather just buy a second deck or something and improve on the one that I like the best. If that makes sense.

It's too bad he doesn't have black

I've been sent 30 cent commons in double sleeved toploaders too

the worst thing that has happened to me through using tcgplayer was once i ordered a card and later that day, got an email from the seller saying "you ordered this before we could take the listing down because we're out of stock so here's store credit for what you paid for it"

tcgplayer has always had good prices and been good at getting stuff to me on time and in the indicated condition

i got a mint 4th edition sylvan library for like $16 when it was spoiled in ema and its absolutely beautiful

I hope you told them to fuck directly off and give you a refund of cash money.

No it doesn't make sense

>why not do A instead of B?
>I think I'd rather do B and A, if that makes sense?

Did you mistype?

To be fair, so are $20 Mikaeus and Sidisi Ad Nauseam. They are better decks, but still meme decks.

I don't even understand how you can build Sidisi ad nauseam without demonic/vamp tutor

I would feel more comfortable in my playgroup with multiple decks that aren't fined tuned yet rather than one finely tuned deck is what I mean.

Mikaeus is one of the best budget build available. It's no meme

it was like a 20 cent card, i didn't care at all

calm down dude

More or less. Just an all else fails sort of thing. Considering putting in Vedalken Orrery so I can flash in dudes and make loads of thrulls just to make it a tad more useful.

You said you have $30 to spend

There is absolutely no way to go from marath precon to "fine tuned" with $30, and no way to build a good deck for $30 unless it's an ultra Jank combo deck and you net deck the ultimate budget version

It's the principle of the thing. I can understand "Shit, we fucked up, we don't have that", but give me a refund.

Giving me 'store credit' is basically saying "Sorry, we're out of the thing you came for, but we're gonna force you to buy a giftcard."

Isn't it a deck that focuses more on dirty wins than fun and fair fun though?

i understand

you and I just react differently to this sort of thing, I guess

I probably would have been upset about it if it was more money or if i could stop buying cards