/5eg/ DnD 5th edition general

Weeb edition

old thread: >Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

How animu is your character/group/campaign/setting/etc...

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KpuvajowCdg
dropbox.com/s/2rl54uayhfrrpsl/Compendium; Races.docx?dl=0
dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Kitsune_(3.5e_Race)
dandwiki.com/wiki/Actual_Kitsune_(5e_Race)
dandwiki.com/wiki/Kitsune_(5e_Race)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

My characters are always rather weaboo.
Big sword if I can get away with it, monk if I can't, and my character's theme song is always from some anime.

youtu.be/KpuvajowCdg

Daily reminder that playing martial classes is fine, but it is objectively suboptimal.

Good luck getting to the point where casters outshine martials without any martials in the party

One of the players in my group plays a full anime fighter who names their attacks, usually to comedic effect.

Self defense isn't the same as murder.

Bring lube.

Thats fucking dumb

I'm making a level 4 dragonborn fighter for a one shot. He has 18 straight and heavy armor master, and I can't decide a few things.
Should I go in with GWF? Or sword and board and get the defense fighting style?
And either way, ignoring which weapons are a bit better than others, should I go with a bigass sword, axe, or hammer/maul? Whats the coolest thing.
He's going to be really huge.

Shit and now I'm wondering if since its a one shot, what if I just go strength two weapon fighting instead? Would that just be insane?

I'm doing a sort of masked foxfolk/kitsune bard character, what do you recommend I use to create it? Any good and well known source I can use? My GM is worried about those stats and traits calculations etc. It's not even the weeboo type, its those european ones.

Wouldn't be the worst thing. Two weapon fighting works fairly well at low levels before extra attacks come into play.

Do you want to deal more damage or have more AC? that's what it comes down to really.

As far as weapons go, if you have nothing else to do with your bonus action Pole Arm Master is pretty swell.

Not at all, actually.

...oh wait, I *might* have upped the anime ratio somewhat by making a pretty shonen teenage monk. :/ At least I don't play him anime at all, promise!

Are you looking for Racial stats? Because I don't think there's any sort of fox race, and homebrewing it might be tricky.

Consider a Woof Elf or a Lightfoot Halfling, depending on the size, and then re-fluffing as needed.

>want to make a stereotypical shadowy ninja with a curved sword
>go way of the shadow monk with criminal background
>realize that scimitar actually isn't on the monks list

I hope I can convince my DM that it will functionally be the same as a fucking shortsword.

I was looking for a homebrew that people had experience with it before and possibly tweaked over many times to be accepted easily by any GM. If this is not possible, is there any advice I could follow, any good sources?

>Use a shortword
>Say it's curved like those tiny samurai swords

why not use a straight ninja-to?

I made a kitsune race for a game I ran, though I can't quite remember the stats, nor where I left them.

I believe it was a boost to Dex and Cha, probably +1 and +2, along with the ability to cast Produce Flame as a cantrip. That's all I can remember off of the top of my head though.

>Woof Elf

theres literally no description of shortsword in the book. a shortsword could be curved

I'm building NPC villains. I'm using the assassin as the base but I want to make it distinctly dwarven. I'm thinking about switching the strength and dexterity scores and using the dwarf's medium armor proficiency and battle axe proficiency in the stat block. To avoid "how are they sneak attacking without finesse weapons?" I'm thinking about replacing the assassin's sneak attack with the Brute trait from the gladiator and tacking on Colossus Hunter.

Anyone else have suggestions on a very dwarven-flavored assassin NPC stat block?

Was going for a more Chinese-Arabic blend of ninja. It just completely blindsided me that a fucking Dao isn't actually a Monk weapon.

here. Just remembered where my old notes were. I can post them if you think it'd help. What sort of abilities were you looking for?

That sword is closer to a short sword anyway. A scimitar has a curved blade and a curved handle so it's almost a pistol-like grip.

> Characters
TWF ex-pit fighter, simple but reliable. The least animu member of the party, but his sister complex and young age gives him a few points in making him more like a shonen protagonist.
Adorable and pleasant, if slightly sadististic, witch, adorned in the most stereotypical witch attire I could think of, including the wide brimmed, pointy hat. Pretty animu, really.

> Group
Not very in either case, although there are a few examples. Amnesiacs, experiments, and villains-in-disguise, oh my.

> Campaign
The one I'm working on? High magic, cities built in the middle of the ocean, lots of sea travel, elves aplenty (only a few of them are chocolate, I promise). It's pretty anime.

Whimsical abilities like fox fire and stuff like that.
From where do you based of your notes?

Ask yourself this: What weapon did the designers have in mind when they made shortswords a monk weapon?

Were they thinking of the Roman Gladius, or were they thinking of the type of sword in the picture you just posted?

Just use a shortsword and call it whatever chingchong word you want, because it probably fits

Exceptions, rather, not examples.

But a shortsword is still always a piercing weapon, which is the main issue, a dao or similar sabre would be used for slashing and cutting.

Not the party, but the GM.
We're halfway through Ravenloft, and it's like he stole the flavor from Claymore

Is there anyway to flavor a melee weapon as a Scythe?

Yes. Use the statistics for another weapon and call it that. Use some kind of axe's stats.

As far as Kitsune goes, gonna throw this up super duper quickly in five seconds.

+2 Cha, +1 Dex.
Darkvision.
Fey Ancestry (as elven ability).
Proficiency in Deception.
Learns Minor Illusion as cantrip at lv1, 3rd level Faerie Fire 1/long rest, 5th level Alter Self 1/long rest. Charisma is the casting stat.

Maybe replace Faerie Fire with Charm Person.

Use a handaxe. It's dex-able for a Monk, deals a d6 slashing damage. Done.

A tulwar could be flavored as both a scimitar and a shortsword, because they're a variety of sabre that's capable of piercing attacks as well as the typical slashing/cutting.
Just tell your DM that you want pic related or similar as a shortsword that you can either slash or pierce with.

On that note, it's really silly that longswords, warpicks, scimitars and other weapons that realistically would be used for several types of attacks are limited to just one.

I took some advice from the articles Wizards posted for designing races. I was going a bit more weaboo for mine, but I think one of the subraces I made fits well.

Kitsune +2 Cha, +1 Dex
Speed: 30 ft.
Darkvision: 60 feet.
Trickery: You have proficiency with the Deception skill

Walk Among: You may use magic to disguise your features to appear human. This ability cannot mimic a particular human nor make you look like a different person. The illusion appears as if you were human rather than a kitsune. You also know the Minor Illusion cantrip. Your spellcasting ability for these effects is Charisma. seeing through your disguise behaves as the Disguise Self spell, but creatures attempting to do so have disadvantage.

Lunacy: You know the Dancing Lights Cantrip. At 3rd level, you can cast the Faerie Fire cantrip once per day. At 5th level, you can cast the Moonbeam cantrip once per day. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these effects.

The other subrace I made was the one with produce flame, but it's long winded and goes into the whole multiple tails thing that's super weaboo, so fuck that.

I'm not sure if it's super balanced or not, and I may have loaded it up a bit much, but I think it would be okay.

Is Middle Finger of Vecna and The Sterling Vermin the only good places to find 5e homebrew? Everywhere else I look is just unbalanced or incomplete.

The times when the difference between slashing and piercing make a difference are such edge cases it doesn't matter anyway. It's perfectly fine to do this and use imagination.

haven't looked at sterling vermin, but every middle finger of vecna homebrew i've seen has been overpowered shit imo.

Hello!
I would like to shitpost in this thread about 4e being better.
I would also like to shitpost in this thread about roleplaying being bad, and powergaming being good.
*submits shitpost forms*

>thrown (20/60)

That alone sells it. Now I'll have every slashing weapon be a subset of Handaxe. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

I'm not even sure what kind of argument you're trying to make. Are you mad it has mechanics in there that tell you how far you can throw it? Just don't throw it if it makes you that mad.

This might help give you ideas.
dropbox.com/s/2rl54uayhfrrpsl/Compendium; Races.docx?dl=0

If you're worried about throwing weapons, I can only imagine the meltdowns you must have over things that are actually good.

It's an argument against his DM implementing it for him.

>lel u mad
>

dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Kitsune_(3.5e_Race)

What do you think about this one? Do you think its easy adaptable for 5e?

This is the real reason it's cha.

Warlocks cast from cha because they cast demon magic, or fey magic, or crazy old one magic. Cha is just how that kind of magic is done. Yes, they learn how to cast it. But learning how to swing a sword doesn't mean you swing your sword with int. (props, ) When you cast magic you learned from a demon, you cast it like a demon casts it. So you cast with your will, not your brain.

Since the patron is chosen at level 1, it wouldn't be hard to make a patron that teaches wizard magic or mind magic instead. Like an elder brain, lich, or proper archmage. Then one of the level one features would be "casts with Int".

I did like Con-based hellfire-channeling warlocks.

A completely naked martial can still just punch you, and it's not like you'll be able to strip off heavy armor in the time it takes for a normal battle.

A short rest is 1 hour and a long rest is 8 hours. With gritty realism, a short rest is 1 night and a long rest is 7. It's actually a little bit more lenient than normal, technically.

Your initial argument is implying something good is bad and then claiming a book says something it doesn't say. All you deserve is insults.

>Unless he grabs sharp shooter or gets haste, I guess. He could also grab crossbow expert for another attack.
That's what I mean when I said, exactly:
>All further ranger improvements rely on feats and spells.
Though Haste isn't a ranger spell, and haste boosts a rogue's damage more than the ranger's.

No. Half the stuff there is completely unusable for 5e.

dandwiki.com/wiki/Actual_Kitsune_(5e_Race)
dandwiki.com/wiki/Kitsune_(5e_Race)

These pretty much match the thread theme easy, what do you think?

>dandwiki

I miss the days when all arcane casters were int based.

Though really now that Cha based casting is a thing I feel like Arcane casting should just say "Int or Cha, pick at level 1". Probably the same with Divine casting except "Wis or Cha".

Moon Druid tanks for the party, casters kite around him. Problem solved, ez.

>dandwiki

What are some fun ideas for a group of all the same class travelling together? (Like a bunch of bards being in a travelling troupe together etc)

Second one is a ridiculous mess. Effective Truesight at early levels that scales up better, free casting mod to AC, which doesn't have any non-stacking clause, but even without that it's very strong. Then unarmed strike bonuses, produce flame because why not, and +3 to all stats while you're not disguised because fuck it. It's way too strong and shows a lack of rules knowlege.

The first one is marginally better. Produce flame and being able to turn into a tiny fox is somewhat more reasonable, minus the whole 'DM has to give boons for each tail' thing. Still not very well done.

I'd suggest going with something like and posted.

+2 Cha, +1 dex, Deception Proficiency, Darkvision, Minor Illusion, Faerie Fire at 3rd. That sort of stuff.

Just make sure you all pick a spellcasting class or rogues. Anything else will end up boring as fuck as you all end up with very little ways to differentiate your characters.

Rogues=Thieves guild
Warlocks=cult
Wizards=academics constantly arguing about which spell school is the best.

I think I can manage then.

The other thing is about the Bard class, I would like to play Bard but I am afraid I will end up on some healbot buffbot or just shooting arrows, without even being able to cast a "magic missile".

I think Rogues would be the most fun. Everyone can easily pick up a specialty and make themselves stand out. You can easily do a band of theives, spies for the kingdom, or just normal adventuring with everyone being reliably stealthy.

Most classes have some sort of community thing going on that can work:

>Barbarian tribe/warparty
>Bardic troupe
>Clerical brotherhood
>Druidic circle/grove
>Fighting-man's special operations group, for operators operating operationally inna operation
>Monastic fellowship(?)/brotherhood
>Paladin's knightly order of do-goodery
>Ranger band
>Rogue's thieving guild of sneaky stealers
>Sorcerous congregation(?) this is a hard one, Sorc's are pretty solitary by nature
>Warlock cult
>Wizard's college outing

Bards tend to lack damage. If you're that worried, consider picking up Magic Initiate for Sorcerer or Warlock and pick up some better damage cantrips and a blasty 1st level spell. Vicious Mockery is good, and the bard list has nice stuff, but it tends to be more focused on debilitating and buffing.

Healing word is a nice option, since you can heal while fighting, and if you want to mix it up in melee more, Valor Bard can do fairly well.

Gonna dm a new campaign for some friends on sunday with this party composition: bard, warlock, sorcerer, fighter (going to be a gunslinger). Will report back how it goes

The idea is to run around the battle (Dexterity or Agility kind of thing) shooting some dps, when something dangerous is too close attacking weak targets, I would be able to go there and protect using CC like illusions or confusion kind of abilities. The idea is to be a magical unpredictable whimsical thing that can attack but help the team too.

What do you guys think of this as a base to build a Binder subclass on for Warlock?

Otherworldly Patron: The Bound
lvl 1 feature: Pact Binding
You may choose up to two Vestiges from the list to learn the Seals of Summoning.
You may bind a Vestige during a short or long rest. Make the appropriate skill check indicated by the Vestige (Persuasion, Intimidation, Deception) at the DC indicated by the Vestige. If you fail, you are still bound to the Vestige but you gain both the manifestation and the influence of the Vestige so long as you are bound to it and can not dismiss it until your next long rest. Otherwise you are bound to the Vestige and may dismiss it during a short rest as normal. While bound to the Vestige you gain a number of abilities from its profile equal to your number of invocations known and bonus spells as available according to your level. While bound to a Vestige you lose all known invocations and your Pact Boon changes to the one described in the Vestige's description.

Lvl 6 Feature: Expulsion
Beginning at 6th level you may attempt to expel a Vestige as a bonus action. If you made a good pact no check is required. If you made a poor pact, you must succeed at the same check used to bind the Vestige. If A check is failed this way you may not repeat the attempt until you complete a short rest. A vestige expelled this way cannot be bound again until you complete a long rest.

Desperation Pact
As an action you may quickly form a pact with a known Vestige. When you use this ability the pact is always considered a poor pact. Once used, this ability can not be used again until you complete a Long rest.

Level 10 Feature: Fractures Soul
You may now bind two different vestiges at once. When you do so you gain both of their spell lists and but may only select one of their pact boons and may only select a number of abilities equal to your total number of invocations known.

Level 14 Feature: to be continued

Meanwhile, all casters use named spells to terrifying effect.

>haste boosts a rogue damage more than a rangers

no it won't

Bards are good at hanging back and messing up enemies to support allies. A Bow will serve you fine as fire support, and it's better to save your spells for the crowd control angle rather than trying to waste them on dealing damage.

I think you'll be fine just going for standard Bard. Give it a shot, see how it goes, and if you're lacking damage, go Valor Bard and maybe pick up Magic Initiate for Firebolt or something.

Wouldn't it make more sense for Binder to be a variant like Tome, Chain, or Blade? I mean, having a pact of 'The Bound' sounds really generic. I mean, is it a Bound demon? A bound Angel? Most things I can think of a Binder Binding just sound like the existing Pacts with the twist that you keep them in a jar.

When you factor in misses, yes it does, since it's another opportunity to land sneak attack.

Threadly reminder that the only people who dislike optimizing characters with justified multiclassing, feats, etc are people who lack the creative and miniscule mathematical capabilities necessary to optimize a character.

>"I'm envious that he can do it and I can't so I'll condemn it to feel better about myself BAAA!!!"

>Ranger band
I like it

Sorcerer Siblings. They all have the same Draconic grandfather

So I'm starting up a new campaign soon with only two players.
They're going to be playing a Rogue and a Paladin.
Any tips for campaigns with low, low player counts? I wanna keep stuff fresh, but I'm used to DMing for larger parties.

Have them each control 2 characters. The CR system doesn't handle 2 players well.

Is there a list of the various languages for 5e?

The listing on p. 123 seems like it's incomplete.

Failing that, if I want the party to be journeying into darkest afri- uh, unexplored territory, homebrewing a new language group for the region is appropriate, right?

Meh. what you've done doesn't really mesh well with the warlock options we already have. It won't be in line with those.

The easiest way to do a binder is pact of the chain based invocations that allow you to summon different but powerful familiars.

Action economy is brutal as shit as soon as you have 5+ enemies. Magic items get silly if you don't tailor the few(er) finds to the characters.
ERP encounters are far easier.

If it's your setting, do what you want with it. Just remember that one of the few 3e changes people don't complain about is reducing the amount of languages as every AD&D setting had like 50 languages, including different dialects of the same language.

Pact of Chain invocations sound perfect for a Binder.

CR doesn't handle any number of players well. I've had far more entertaining fights ever since I started winging it.

Wing the numbers of enemies. Try to balance fights so each player gets a third of the time, and you get the remaining third to split between enemies.

Be careful about monsters with crowd control abilities. If the paladin comes down with a case of hold person, that's half your damage and most of your HP taken out of the fight.

Me and my DM are trying to figure out how to make necromancers work properly in 5e while having only a small number of tougher minions rather than a fuckton of skeletons.

Near as I can tell you're basically just limited by your casts of animate dead to reassert control over 4 (?) skeletons/zombies per cast, how would you guys sort out a fair limit on strength/number of minions if I were to be resurrecting ogres or other stronger minions?

Best buff between spell levels 1-3 besides Haste? Best debuff between spell levels 1-3?

Probably something like you can summon a total CR equal to 1+4x Skeleton CR

Sorcerer family descended from dragons or something. Or just a bunch of dragonborn/tieflings with their natural magical abilities.

Bless is arguably better than Haste since it can affect multiple people.

Debuff would probably be slow just because it doesn't have as many restrictions as other things do. Blindness/Deafness would be up there since it doesn't require concentration.

Clearly, you are not ready.

Thanks for the answer, but I dunno if I'd be content to do that. I've heard it's typically not good to let players control more than one PC each.
I'll consider it, but...yeah, that's a tricky thing to deal with, especially if someone hops in on the campaign down the line.

Yeah, it seems like the best answer is to keep the amount of enemies they face lower as a result, too. It's a blatant answer, but I was just wary of it because it's a less- forgive my use of the word- epic campaign, but...I guess it's arguably better than no campaign at all? It'll definitely force a different playstyle from all of us, I suppose.

What exactly are ERP encounters?
I'd google it, but, uh. Yeah, that acronym is a bit daunting.

You can still make things epic with a low number of enemies. Consider designing your own enemies, one or two guys at a time for them to fight, and give them legendary actions appropriate for the scene they are in.

Typically you don't let someone have 2 PCs because they get more play time than someone else does it and bogs things down. Neither is an issue at a 2 player table where both get to do it.

ERP = erotic roleplay

>less enemies is less epic

Don't be so sure...

Giving two players 2 different characters to control will get bogged down, because you've more than doubled the complexity of their turns. Also it detracts from roleplaying IMO.

Surprisingly sneaky dwarf assassin is kinda scary though just keep em dex

A suggestion for if you still want fights against a lot of enemies: Have them come in waves. Like maybe the two stumble into a room, and there's 3 or so goblins there. Then, once they've killed off most of them, have another batch burst in. This can let you keep things interesting and make the players feel good about cutting down a lot of enemies without just overwhelming them with turn advantage.

>How animu is your character/group/campaign/setting/etc...
Well I had a very detailed discussion about the exact breast size of a player's character earlier today, so I'm going to say I'm quite heavy into the weeb.

I shit on most feat and mc 'abusers' because I actually have the creativity and math skills to know their 'optimized' build is worse than a single-classed character with no feats.

Anything besides Bless as well? Preferably something non-concentration for the debuff too.

Super true, yeah. That's a good idea, thanks!

Hmmm. Again, I guess I'll give it more thought, maybe bring it up to them. We'll see.

>ERP = erotic roleplay
Okay, that's what I thought. I didn't know if there was something else you were meaning.

Very true. I guess I'm more worried about the campaign as a whole. I'm worried they'll get tired of encounters being smaller scale, but. Eh, they're not super shitty people, I think they'll be content.

Help me out here, I'm playing a wizard but if I dipped 2 levels into fighter could I use action surge to cast two spells in one turn?

Ooops. Meant to reply to you with that last comment, too.
Thanks again for the input. I'll probably just keep the campaign on a slightly smaller scale and, if they're facing something like a goblin horde, try to limit it to less than a handful per encounter.

Inspired by Oriental Adventures.
So either completely or not at all depending on how you look at things.
There's a martial arts/battle tournament, so that tacks on some weeb points.