Fluff for the Fluffless: Marines

One of these threads went up a week ago and seemed pretty popular, so lets keep it going!

There's a lot of "Veeky Forums rolls up a Space Marine Chapter" threads that pop up, and while they're fun, there's a shit ton of Chapters that have next to no fluff already in the canon. So I thought it might be fun to fluff some of these chapters out. Its a good place to kick around those half-baked ideas you've had for a chapter, or if you want to come up with something new. Hell, you could even use the tables to quickly get some ground fluff out if you want. A good number of these Chapters are literally just a name with nothing attached, so there's plenty of room for creativity!

Other urls found in this thread:

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47647866/#top
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's about 193 chapters including the ones fluffed out last thread on this list. The chapters from last thread that received most of the love were:

>Auric Patricians
>Brotherhood of a Thousand
>Pentients
>Knights of Eternity
>Dictators
>Widowmakers
>Halo Brethren
>Death Knights
>Persectutors of Darkness
>Red Wolves

>dumpin color schemes

Got a pastebin for the ones that got fluffed?

I was actually working on a 1d4chan page, but I got busy with work, and I couldn't think of a good enough name. I have last thread though: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47647866/#top

I do imagine the celebrant with blunt weapon and high speed vehicle

Damn, I don't get it

Would you care to explain it to me, then?

Mostly, Yes

Look, would it be too much to ask GW if they can change the Dark Brotherhood's insignia to a handprint?

Based on the colour, the beaky helmet and the Chapter name, I was thinking of space marine mounted on scooter, with thunder hammer.

>Not going for the obvious choice of emblem

They'd work better as a chaos warband, with the night mother being their daemon prince

chit, forgot it

What about loyalists that just work closely with the oficio assasinorum?

and are also loyalist alpha legion successors

>Brotherhood of a Thousand

Sounds pretty heretical if you ask me

>and are also loyalist alpha legion successors
why not just have them be plants? Don't really need to work close with the Assasinorum, just have a shadow network of assassins to manipulate the Imperium from within

I actually like them alot. Too bad there's jack all written about them. Even last thread didn't have much

Widomakers guy here.

In an effort to blend two of the main fluff ideas we had together, how about the planet was initially an irradiated prison camp penal colony that was shit and sucked balls, then there was a ~WARPSTORM~ cutting them off from the Imperium. With the lack of oversight and authority, they morphed into a Roman-Republic esque government, strong emphasis on civic duty, fairly democratic, etc. But the planet itself is still mostly a shitty uranium and sulfur mine.

During the storm, which occurred conveniently during the 13th founding, somehow they got a space marine chapter. My take is that they're a few loyalist holdouts/descendants of the Death Guard that actually take showers and abhor Nurgle, and thus abhor the death and terror they must sow as Marines, but take it on as their civic duty etc etc etc and have that whole tradition going.

Plot twist: they're both, and neither. At the same time.

Man, fuck alpha legion. I don't think they even know what they're about anymore

Isn't the meme that they never really had any fluff other than "they're spooky and no one knows anything about them?"

The only deviation from that is probably DoW Alpha Legion, but it figures that over a few thousand years the whole group might splinter up into Chaos and non-Chaos renegades and even loyalists.

At least they have nice colors

Its always a warpstorm cutting people off. Could just be normal lack of oversight and lack of interest

Exsanguinators is too cool of a name to not have anything for them. Right now, I'm saying they have the same omophagea problem as the blood drinkers, as well as a big problem with red thirst as apposed to the black rage, which is rather negligible in the chapter. They should also probably have something to do with the exsanguination process of extracting geneseed, but who knows

>Brotherhood of Thousand
>Have "M" for insignia.

I don't even have an appropriate reacction image. What's next, their motto is "All according to plan"?

It can be whatever, warpstorm could just be a placeholder.

I think a better twist would be if they were completely unrelated. Right now its too obvious to just be straight up thousands

first thing is to figure out some planets terrain. for homeworlds...so lets pick like six chapters and do one homeworld terrain after another. Then work in a systematic way down the line like that.

We can roll for chapters

6d193

Rolled 99, 55, 110, 51, 137, 107 = 559 (6d193)

'Ere we go!

Rolled 5, 2, 3, 5, 5, 6, 6, 2, 1, 5, 3, 1, 4, 1, 3, 2, 6, 5, 3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 1 = 84 (25d6)

Or did you mean this?

>Honored Sons
>Dark Templars
>Iron Shades
>Crusaders
>Metamarines
>Solar Hawks

The grimdark plot twist for Alpha Legion is that it doesn't matter what Alpharius and Omegon wanted, because most of the Marines knew fuck all about their plans. My theory is that both twins realized Chaos is bad. Omegon decided to betray the traitors and help the Imperium in secret, but his pride got him killed by Guiliman. Alpharius still remained loyal to Horus, but wanted to free him from Chaos. But Horus' death messed up his plans and he somehow disappeared. Only a few of their officers knew of these plans and some of them stayed loyal to these ideas and still continue the fight. But the majority of them were clueless and did what they thought was right and joined their Chaos brethren.
So you got a few warbands that are helping the Imperium in secret and a few more are fighting against Chaos in a bid to help humanity, but more than half of them are full on CSM.

honored sons first i guess. what do we know about them?

>995.M41 - Engaged Hive Fleet Jormungandr alongside the Death Spectres

ok...well they have a green and white color scheme. possible crimson fists successors..dosnt say much about the home world they come from. it is probably a death world or a feudal world though..

With a name like honored sons, I think what's most important is what sons refers to. We could roll for progenitor, but we could always choose something else to be the sons of

Hear me out

My mom joined the Mormon church recently, (srsly pls hear me out) so I did a bunch of research on them to see how fucked up they are.

SUPER tl;dr it's a Luciferian Freemason cult. I'm not kidding.

In real life, that sounds hilariously retarded, but in 40k, Luciferian Freemasonry sounds pretty bad ass.

The more I keep converting Mormon elements into 40k elements, the better it gets in my head.

But before I even do it, is there a Chaos Black Templar equivalent? I'm sure there is, but I don't know. I was gonna scrounge up ideas and throw a pitch for Falling Star.

I do have to admit, despite the mysterious cluster fuck that Alpha is, they still have more interesting stuff going on than most warbands

We rolled up a chapter last thread using the SM tables and it didn't get tossed around too much, so I'm just gonna dump the rolls here.

>Gorgons
>Iron Hands successor from the 37M, created for strategic prognostication
>Pure Geneseed, however the chapter has a knack for kleptomania, and suffers not the xenos to live
>They are stewards of a desert feral world
>They are codex divergent, and utilize terror tactics.
>They have little to no techmarines, despite this, they have large amounts of (clearly stolen) rare weaponry.
>The hold the emperor above all, even at the point of their own extinction

Halo brethren sounds cool.

There was a Brotherhood of a Thousand techmarine in one of the Deathwatch stories. The other marines found the notion that the chapter was, "Always at 1,000 brothers," to be absurd and they didn't know how the chapter maintained it. Was a pretty good story, also featured a Carcharodon Black Shield Scout Sergeant.

Shit dog, we did that one last thread. They were a chapter who takes abnormally long to have scouts turn into marines, and suffered many casualties. They bolstered their ranks by extensive use of Krieger-esque battle serfs. They also temporarily have two scout companies instead of one.

There's some other stuff, but that was about it

Kmow the name of the story? Didn't know they were ever mentioned

Word Bearer crusade host would be the closest I could think of.

It was one of the stories in the recent Deathwatch: Ignition.

Which despite having covers that all look like ass, some of them aren't half bad, depending on the author.

Still a cool name.

I like SPACE, halo brethren sounds likeg asg iants and asteroid rings....IF sucessors that like their space ships and recruit from void farer clans etc in great orbital stations!

Love this color scheme. Almost certainly Racen Guard successors.

With blue and black, could be like space navy seals? Sneaky and Aquatic

Could be a humble fortress monestary on one of the asteroids with a series of smaller mining way stations around the ring to support it. Don't know how's they'd get food outside of hydroponics

Not necessarily. Astral implies it may be related to the Astral Knights line and be Imperial Fists, or the symbol could be related to one of the Consul chapters and be Ultramarines.

>Deathwatch: Ignition
Thanks man. I'm usually not a big fan of 40k's written work, but I'll give this one a go

Watch for Ben Counter's stories. He's still as shit as ever.

Hydroponics should work rather well, if you have enough nutrients and water,

All the solar energy you need.

I don't know about the consuls, since every chapter related to that geneseed tends to have consul in their name.

I always pictured them with this idyllic monestary on a grassy knoll, but hidden inside the crags of an asteroid sounds more fitting for an Astartes

I was thinking that they have a great of love drop pods and other deep strike tactics.

Fair point. I could see them as Fists, too, given that their paint scheme kinda makes me think of the Hammers of Dorb.

Might be, doesn't have to be all grim and dark all the time.

Maybe they have some nice internal biosphere meadows to simulate different environments.

Buts thats first founding chapter shit, like in the fang.

To stronk.

>Too bad there's jack all written about them
Given what GW has managed to do to perfectly good chapter names by paying attention to them, you are probably better off if they forget the chapter exists.

Like what

He probably means the Clan Raukaan supplement.
By comparison, the Angels Penitent got an awesome write-up when they were given more than a name.

Arent those guys like banned, but still loyal?

They're banned, but the head of the chapter is trying desperately to stop them from going full chaos, despite incredibly large death company and khorne tendencies in the new recruits

i wonder if there was ever an aspirant to this chapter who didn't make it, but his friend did, and he while talking to him, in the capacity of a chapter serf, was like "i coulda been a contender."

Legit though, that's a really shitty chapter name

Or they could be just marines who hold no illusions about their job.

Too many human on human conflicts with both sides indistinguishable from the other. Too many gene stealer purges. Too many purely secular civil wars. Too many of His children left as widows by their hands.

To them no Astartes is a good man. It was they and their kind and progenitors that caused the Horus Heresy.

When they see a marine happy or proud in their work they have to fight down hard to team kill the twat. They are in a state of perma-grudge with EVERY other marine chapter they meet.

Get on real well with Ecclesiarchy and Guard due to their willingness to take orders and strict adherence to a hard firm of the Imperial Faith.

Recruited from death row of their shity little penal colony. The increased age of recruitment results in increased mortality bit it's death row so who gives a shit. All are mind-wiped.

Men that survive but can't make the transformation become penitent-soldiers. Women that are on death row get mind-wiped and become serfs. Any that show signs of reverting back to old behaviour, human or starters, become servitors.

Their colours are, officially, grey of unpainted ceramite and adamantium. In practice they often take up the colours of whichever regiment they get attached to.

They are grim and dour and despised by other astartes. The feeling is mutual.

>cont

The Black Guard, a Second Founding chapter descended from the Raven Guard.

They don't go for the stealthy approach, right? Like big guns, they do

These guys were my first chapter I used when I used to play the Tabletop. Too bad there is no lore. If I actually recorded logs of how each battle I went would make lore myself. Granted it would be very skewed lore since the main guy I played against used Tyranids so I balanced most of my army around what I thought would strong against nids.

Well, hey, anything's good. What units did you have? Remember anything cool from any battles?

I like the first part. Somehow though I feel like being depressing and openly aware of the shittiness of the universe would not endear them to the church or Guard high-ups since the whole schtick of the Ecclesiarchy and the Guard's propaganda is to hide how bad things actually are beneath a thin veneer of bullshit.

Also having them just be mind-wiped criminals takes some of the weight away behind their feelings. In order to really connect with the awful stuff they do, they'd need to remember what it's like living in the gutter of society.

I don't really have a list or anything, since it was years ago. We also played really low points since we lacked money back then, hell if we knew about Kill teams we would've just used that. Both me and the guy with nids were rather new to the game, so we both used what people said were good against each other online. So I'd stock up on flamers, a few missles, and other blob killing goodies. He'd get shit with good armor then and zoanthropes. I'd then either bitch about it or hope I good get my hands on something to counter it in which he would do the same.

So most of the fights ended up being whoever countered the other more and were pretty one sided. However after awhile we both ended up with pretty big armies where we probably broke several rules playing but they were fun. But I had to quit since I had a bad track recored of losing my figurines and after I lost to many I just decided the game was too expensive and sold them for some extra cash. Looking back I wouldn't have done that.

How about stealthy big guns? As in they like to stealthily move everything into position and then let rip with BIG GUNS! Surprise!