Ratfolk thread!

Ratfolk thread?
Ratfolk thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple
indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns#/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Here's something I found on short notice.

Since Don Bluth is getting back into it, perhaps this suggestion will lead to incredibly enriched childhoods.

Hey, I'd fund it.

Damn it, glitched and lost the pic.

Here it is.

> slices of cheese pinned to the board

d'awwww

I'm tellin ya man, them ratfolk live big.

Where did that Skaven found an AdMech robe?

Dunno, probably from this cashed-up crow.

close enough, yeah?

>Wuts diz shit?
>No glorious skaven?

I'm sorry

so so sorry.

What do you like to stress running rat people?
Dirty sewer scavenging practical thieves?
Endless hordes of teamworking bastards?
Sneaky fuckers with a back way into anywhere?
Universally hated survivalists?

I generally find there's a lot of overlap with kobolds unless a deliberate contrast is made.

The truth about rats, of course, is that they are almost exactly the opposite of how they are portrayed; ESPECIALLY when it comes to Skaven.

Skaven
>Filthy, diseased, live in filth and muck
>Backstabbing bastards, care only about themselves and trusts nobody
>ugly

Actual rats
>Extremely cleanly and groom each other constantly
>Sociably, friendly, in laboratory tests will refuse food items if they know it hurts another rat; empathetic thinking
>Supreme QTs

ah ratfolk, the englishmen of fantasy races.

They can always go one way or another.

Whats funny to me, is that that the Skaven description actually perfectly describes how rabbits live.

Shittiest parents.

Yeah, I always feel bad about how rat-folk are done in fantasy games. I've a pair of pet rats who are the most chilled out, adorable fuckers who cuddle up next to one another in my lap to take naps during the afternoon.

Still, I think Skaven are pretty neat, just for mad science and treachery.

Read Rats and Gargoyles.
Receive weird religious philosophy and aristorats.
???
Profit.

It all depends on how the setting runs them.

Norwegian Sea Rats would like to have a word with you.

>Now reading up on the Indian rat temple.

Neat!

The what?

An Indian temple where 20,000 rats reside and live where they are cared for and sacredly worshipped and fed.

Allegedly it's got something to do with an Indian goddess reincarnation's son dying in accidentally, and when she pleaded with the god to bring him back, she said no, but will allow him and all of the sons her and her own to now reincarnate as rats, as a result, they're worshipped there.
To eat something one of the rats has chewed is considered an honour, and if you kill one of the rats, the price is replacing it with a solid silver one. Apparently theres never been a case of disease outbreak, and they're all rather friendly.

Can I get a name for the temple?

Karni Mata Temple

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karni_Mata_Temple

More Rats!

Holy crud, it might be happening:
indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns#/

I don't think this weapon can be fired properly due to the trigger being that far forward. The firing mechanism also looks kind of weird. It seems to be lacking a flashpan.

>ratfolk portrayed as gangly, long-limbed creeps
>constantly tauted as the only proper portrayal by people afraid of furries

In reality, rats are fairly plump.

And, like you said, they're smart, clean and sociable. I used to have rats as a kid, and one thing I enjoyed doing was sticking my finger in their regular washing routine. They'll actually start washing your finger. It's hilarious.

The most "realistic" depiction of ratfolk would probably be one of perfumed fops who like good food and intelligent discourse, and scoff at other races for being filthy buggers who wash themselves, at most, only once a day.

How DO rabbits live?

read Watership Down.

>Dirty sewer scavenging practical thieves?
>Endless hordes of teamworking bastards?
>Sneaky fuckers with a back way into anywhere?
>Universally hated survivalists

none of these things apply to real life rats. See

To be completely honest, the Burmecians (!) and to some extent the Ratfolk of Pathfinder are probably the closest we will get to ratfolk who are like rats.

I'd really like a civilization of engineer ratfolk to appear in one of my games.

Well there are the reverse Skaven in the Bizarro Warhammer verse.

>Separated into clans
>One is devoted to creating safe technology for their race, often employing dangerous methods to push the boundaries of engineering.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to it?

Does he flip to become a 3/2 flying Rat Cheese hybrid?

Not quite user.

>Karni Mata has a problem with Death
>Death is being a dick and won't help
>Karni throws a hissy fit
>"You'll get none of my followers then!"
>Makes it so all of her followers automatically reincarnate as rats

My pet ratties are currently running around my lap as we speak. Best pets.

I was playing a Ratfolk psychic in my last Pathfinder game. Was pretty fun.

Was Ink-Eyes in Legend of the Five Rings, or just the MtG cards I'm seeing as I google the name? I have a distant memory of something along those lines, although Lot5R is weirdly conflicted as to whether its PCs are adventurers or generic extras who watch the important things happen to other people and meeting a cool rat-ninja-stripper is the sort of thing that only happens to adventurers.

Also, obligatory reminder that Freya deserved much better than she got in FF9.

LotFR has Nezumi, but no Ink-Eyes Cameo.

requesting ratfolk with turbans/desert settings, need to find some for my desert dwelling necromancer. Hell ratfolk necromancer will do, if you have any.

Kinda petered out. Life stuff got in the way of the writers and no one new stepped in to fill the gaps in crunch and fluff.

How about Mole Rats in Arabic or at least Magreeb looking dress? I can imagine that such clothing would be an advantage to them if they achieved sapience and desired to move around readily on the surface.

You could also have Afghan/Central Asian looking Gerbils.

I'm kind of fond of the idea of fierce little Grasshopper mice dressed like Apaches, and/or some form of Kangaroo rats with southwestern native dress.

How would Veeky Forums feel if it was brought back?

I don't think they would mind.

Is there a ratfolk race stated out in 3.5?

There's one for pathfinder, the Nezumi from rokugan d20, and probably a few others.
You can also easily just make your own to emphasise what you want to do with them.

WHAT-WHAT ARE THOSE BREEDERS DOING?

THE SEER WILL WANT-DESIRE TO KNOW-KNOW OF THIS!

Skaven actually closely reflect how rats are in situations of extreme overpopulation.

when will this meem ever die

They closely reflect humans in extreme overpopulation.

When people like you stop posting. ;)

The same thing this one is doing.

How come rat-men seem like they are in every Asian-inspired setting, even though they aren't?

SOMEONE NEEDS TO DRAW THE TRANSFORMED VERSION- DELIVERER OF SQUEAKRETS

I'd be all for it. At least then I'd know where to start with lore.

Probably because Asia actually has a mythical spot for rats besides 'disease filled parasites'

>ratfolk, the englishmen of fantasy races.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this...

Adding some love with my Nezumi 5e homebrew.

>Best pets.

With those short lifespans? No way.
One of my ex's had rats, they were awesome but no way would I get a pet that at most will only be around for 2-3 years

I like it, although that probably means it's a bit beefy.

Still, I like that At Home In Shadow doesn't make them any better at being a Rogue than an actual Rogue. Seems like a fun race to play a sneaky Fighter or Wizard with.

There is a surprising lack of skaven rule 34

>Ink-eyes & Freya
Brain, no.
>Ink-eyes x Freya
Goddamnit brain.

Rat girls are for penetration.

Anything other than Skaven is a shit

Related pic.

What does user think of Redwall?

>Dangit, can't see anything through this hood
>Maybe if I just look big and intimidating, they'll run away

Heresy. Tau Skaven is the best way to go.

That tyrannid trophy is ace.
Shame the pictures are such low quality.

There's even more.

So, if I wanted to talk about designing (fluff & crunch-wise) a Burmecian-inspired ratfolk race for a D&D setting I'm putting together, would this be a thread to do it in, or should I get out of here?