Game by feminists? What?

Veeky Forums

I just woke up, went on facebook, and saw someone talking about this

drivethrurpg.com/product/180114/Feminism-A-NanoGame-Anthology

I...I really don't know what to think of it. Especially what the person posting about it said.

Your thoughts?

The person in question.

Something about the phrase "all RPGs should be grown up like this" strikes me as...as...well...I don't know, off.

Sounds like a fourteen-year-old trying desperately to sound like an adult.

What on earth does "grown up" mean in this context?

>..I don't know, off.
I feel you there. Could just be the hard shilling, or it could be because it "seems" contradicting. Put something "super serious and real" into a game, when they think every game out there isn't grown up and real.

lacking fun most likely

OK, the topic of the game seems fairly self-explanatory.

But how can it be fun? And what are the rules mechanics?
I mean if you're feminist, why not attend rallies or whatever it is people do rather than play a game where you pretend to go to rallies.

Sounds about right, and a summary of my life after I grew up.

>games about
>Reproductive rights
>Class relationships
>Selfies
Oh wow, what an interesting game

This is why feminism is cancers.
NONE of those things have to do with feminism whatsoever.
It's like if a D&D PHB has a picture of the skyline of new york on it.
God damn liberals are cunts.

What the fuck is 'nano-game anthology' supposed to mean?

That this is just a collection of a bunch of things relating only by topic?

Actually its rather childish in a bad way

>That list
Who the fuck are any of these people?
>One google search later
What the fuck is all this bullshit?

I'm a transgender, asexual liberal and even I raise an eyebrow at a lot of "feminists" and their bullshit.

It means that its a collection of incredibly short games, most nano games that I've come across only cover a single scene or situation and the game ends when its resolved.

For example the sundered land by Vincent baker is essentially six nano games linked by some of the same characters, and each of those games is essentially a preset scene that last about an half hour to an hour.

In this instance, its a load of tiny games connected by themes of feminism.

>Those games

...I don't think people WANT to play those games. I'm also pretty sure that if you are trying to ease someone into a bad situation, 'Let's play the Breast Cancer RPG!' is not a good way to do it.

So it'll be incredibly relevant and important to history and culture for a brief time before making a resurgence decades later as a self-centered parody radical parody of itself with outdated information and ideals?

What the fuck is a "nano-game"?

This CAPTCHA is weird. None of these look like feminists.

Dammit

>conforming to one's own ideology is "real" and "grown up"

If there's one modern attitude I hate, it's this one. You're not a better person for tooting your own horn, and this has always been acknowledged. But now we live in a bizarro world where actively shutting yourself in the hugbox is considered enlightened. For fuck's sake, yesterday I even saw someone praise a newspaper (the Economist) because they are, apparently, openly partisan in support of their chosen ideology. Which is also incredibly mainstream. So you have someone singing their praises for mixing propaganda with news, and calling them brave for saying the same shit as a lot of popular politicians, other media outlets, celebrities, etc.

You're not fucking brave for representing a majority opinion!

Thanks! I was actually wondering how this would work. I have never heard of Nano-games before.

This actually seems like a really cool idea . Like that board game where you are trying to build the best and most efficient train system, but at the end you break a piece of glass and reveal that you were designing a system for Nazis to ship Jewish prisoners to death camps.

What?

Ticket to Ride To Hell?

I need to play this.

Retribution 1%

Thanks op! I could've gone about my day not knowing about every stupid bullshit that 'feminists' publish on networking sites, but I sure am glad you took time out of your busy life to track down something you hate and bring it back here despite the fact you know nobody here likes it if they even give a shit.

Stay classy you colossal faggot

They finally did it!

>9-15 players
Whut

Can't tell if joking or not..... almost read the thing to find out

You forgot to add reasonable person

>flowers
A metaphor for the development into womanhood that needs to be guided by feminism. (Just like the graceful orchid can absorb pigments from its soil so girls are affected by their upbringing.)
>spotlight
for the vigilant focus on all injustices of our world, feminism will shine its light on fatshaming and manspreading
>skin
for the vulnerability of women, reminding us that they need a thick armor of feminist social engineering to protect their nakes skin against hurtful words
>carbon nanotubes
It looks scienc-y, girls can do science too! Feminism will prove this by giving girls quotas and other aids to make it easier.
>the street
The place where thousands of women get word-raped every day and a reminder that a lot must still be done to eliminate wrongthink from our society
>swing
A children's toy. For the fleeting innocence of youg girls everywhere that the patriarchy is trying to take away.
>coffee
A reminder to stay woke
>bi-direction
A reference to political lesbianism and a reminder that you must avoid giving men what they desire as much as possible.
>broken glass
for the night of broken glass at the onset of WWII

See? It all makes sense.

Pink ribons are key items

What the fuck are those? Like I get it, imagination is good, otherwise we wouldn't be here, but that is.... not something I want to imagine to be.

>Okay, Shaniqua, and what is your character?
>Well, her name is Moniqua, and she is a Modernist Pre-Raphaelite. That gives her a +2 to Expressiveness, advantage on Critic saves, and she can get top bunk in the Artist Colony.

Nah, I can be pretty unreasonable at times.

I just don't make up "facts" to be butthurt about.

>word-rape
More like word up.....rape

Aren't we all unreasonable?

That might be the worst RPG cover I've ever seen. I have no idea what they're going for here, but I think I had a math textbook once that looked like that

>Thanks op! I could've gone about my day not knowing about every stupid bullshit that 'feminists' publish on networking sites, but I sure am glad you took time out of your busy life to track down something you hate and bring it back here despite the fact you know nobody here likes it if they even give a shit.
This.

>Looking at the world through a feminist lens

>absurd
>tragic
>
>
>fascinating

Two out of three isn't bad.

>facilitator

Game Master too triggering?

>Girl: A Game for by Livia von Sucro (Brazil)
A small exercise about empathy, designed for cis gendered men to take a glimpse of what it feels like to be a victim of violence against women.
>3+ players; 50 minutes; Intensity 5/5.

>Implying I need a game to teach me empathy solely because I am a straight male.

They really do think we are some sort of always chaotic evil Orc don't they?

Master triggers their past nu-selves that were enslaved by white cishet males.

It is a lot of projecting which makes sense since a lot of them are chaotic evil.

WHY THIS SHIT THREAD IS STILL ALIVE

IT'S TIME-BOMB BAIT, MAYBE UNINTENTIONAL, BUT STILL

I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SHITSTORM ON MY NICE BOARD

Feminists need to be mocked whenever the opportunity arises.

Shut up, faggot.

Someone post the mechanics for this. I bet dollars to donuts that they've unintentionally created their undoing.

Everyone already knows that they are either insan or con artists taking money from men and insane ones.
Kekekeke

>he doesn't want to look at games created for people who don't like games and laugh
the social justice is irrelevant really, I just find it funny some people try to change and dumb down a medium they don't like to force themselves to like it. They do the same with comics, it's very strange.

>Everyone already knows that they are either insan or con artists taking money from men and insane ones.

Feminists don't know that. If they don't see feminists getting bullied they might start to assume that is is a safe space for themselves.
That's terrible.

We need to keep them at bay. Words are our weapon, Veeky Forums our fortress.

Adult content warning.

Oh god.

This is gonna be worse then Fatal combined with that one game about the yaoi elves with flower cocks, innit?

>calling tabletop RPGs "analog games"

I don't think people really care what you want. I find the whole thing funny at least

>yaoi elves with flower cocks
I am disappointed in myself for recognizing this, but comforted that I cannot recall the name.

Wraeththththulththhu

If I have to remember Wraethu, then you do too.

We fucking ignore 99.9% of thousands of microscopic absolutely nothing indie games released online every single month so why the fuck are you giving this one a thread as if it is somehow different?

Whyyyyyyyyyy?

Stop using ellipsis so fucking much it is obnoxious to read. Limit of one per sentence, almost always at the end.

So... What's the game about? Mechanics? What are the actual nano games? My friend is a slightly sjw feminist who likes trpgs and I might recommend this to her if it's not absolute garbage. But I don't see any reviews of the game just comments on the subject matter.

As a girl I'm not interested in this at all by the way for myself, but it seems like it could have been cool. I think the goal is to grab some quick tumblr dollars, not make an interesting game. I think it'd be cool to see more trpgs and board games or whatever with like... More focus on the experience or some heavier stuff or art or whatever. Like papers please or whatever, it's not just fun. But this doesn't look like they're really doing that. Actually the friend I mentioned was just telling me she designed a simple campaign to run for a few friends so that her friend who is just starting to be trans but isn't out yet could try out the other gender in a safe way. Sounded kind of nice, like I like that my hobby is being used to help someone or whatever.

This seems like if someone made a game about LCS but took out all the satire and interesting parts.

At least we can suffer together.

>Whyyyyyyyyyy?

Why not?

I'm fine with this. It tries to cater to a niche audience instead of obnoxiously attempting to pressure other authors and/or audiences into comforting to their preferences.

>Transexual pandering
>Helping anyone

But that doesn't make them immune from criticism over picking a silly topic.

You are why we can't have nice things.

>so that her friend who is just starting to be trans but isn't out yet could try out the other gender
There's not going to be any difference.
No really.

In case you haven't ever cross-played, there's literally no difference.
The character feels less like 'you,' which can be a good thing or a bad thing, but nothing changes.

Also I want to point out the phrase "friend who is just starting to be trans"

Obviously.

Wait, it's supposed to facilitate talk about hereditary breast cancer?

"Hey guys, let's play this game about hereditary breast cancer!"

"I had everyone play this game about hereditary breast cancer to tell you that I have hereditary breast cancer. Hereditary breast cancer."

Like seriously!

What, do feminists think that when a neckbeard makes a female character, they're invariably some sort of stripper ninja with large cans?

Holy shit, anonymous, learn how to compose your thoughts before posting, that's a ton of stream of consciousness tripe.

Also, Papers, Please /is/ fun.

You know, that game was actually worse than the novels it was based on. In the books proper, raping human men to death with their acid-shooting anemone dicks was considered sordid and disturbing by Wraeththu culture at large; in the game, you're all but encouraged to do it. The designers seem to be saying "We gave you corrosive spooge, they're are humans, do we need to draw you a picture? Because if we need to our art department will be more than happy to draw you a picture."

Read the first sentence, mongoloid.

For these people, life is a bizarre adventure.

That's not remotely what I'm saying.

When has one of your characters ever been treated differently based on their sex, or even race beyond a few comments in the game's opening scene?

Unless your DM is going to treat all the dudes in the party like shit, or the reverse, which I assume neither is something they normally do, there will be no difference between playing a male, female, nor crossdressing Warforged.

TRIGGER WARNING
not like I actually play non D&D rpg's but
Wouldn't beast: the primordial or changeling: the lost work better..
Wasn't beast about persecution and changeling about PTSD.?

Beast is fucking shit.

These sort of things aren't for people who actually play RPGs. They just happen to be role playing games

I did. The question remains, why not?

As a forever DM, I do have NPCs treat players differently based off sex, or race, or class, if it's fitting to the NPC.

Comes up maybe once every half a dozen sessions. It's not the central premise of any quest or plot, but it adds some flavor.

The male elf in a dress is occasionally mistaken for a woman.
The female dragonborn in scale armor is occasionally mistaken for a man.
The bipedal spider is sometimes mistaken for an animal companion.
And the female elf swordswoman once got teased for getting a boyfriend after winning a duel against a swordsman.

But those are footnotes. In the grand scheme of things, I treat an all male party the same as an all female party. Because my campaigns are generally about stopping evil gods or crazed cults from raising hell, so the overarching plot gives exactly zero fucks about what's in a PC's pants.

>The bipedal spider

The fuck?

That's useless. People who already get it won't play because they don't need to, and the trash that'd need it won't touch it either.

Yea I realised as I posted it. Reading Veeky Forums first thing in the morning wasn't the best plan.

A lot of people are calling out the trans game thing. I don't know much about what she did but it was helpful and supportive to the friend so I think it was a good idea. I play male characters a lot and I completely agree that it has nothing to do with myself, just a character etc, but if it helped them then whatever. I don't think a game showing cishetmalewhites what it's like to be cat called (word rape as it's usually called) is helpful or even makes sense. Either way it's a fabricated event and doesn't show you what it's really like at all, it's going to be a straw cat caller and the worst scenario. Not fun, not helpful.

The nano game thing I like a lot tho.

Oh, I actually play male characters more often nowadays because of too many "lol you should seduce the guards" lines. Once a gm tried to railroad my character into a sex scene. Actually that's happened a lot of times. You'd be surprised. But I think men playing women are less likely to get that as it's an obvious protection from the male gm onto the female player yknow? But I agree that it shouldn't matter and I don't know how helpful it would be to a trans person except that this girl told me it was helpful, and to me that's enough to believe it was. Everyone has different experiences, and remember this is a game where the gm knew about it and was deliberately running it for that purpose to let them try out a voice and name and shit. The other players I don't think were aware.

Reflavored thri-kreen. Mechanically a monk, but acts like the party rogue. May be related to trap door spiders.

The player knew in advance that peasants would be skittish around her, and was okay with that fact.

>You'd be surprised.
By what? Neckbeards being occasionally creepy when it comes to the womankind?

Not really, no.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that...
Er I should be more clear, about the railroading thing.

>too many "lol you should seduce the guards" lines
This used to happen to me as well, so I moved on to a male character for a while, until I eventually found that playing a tough stuck up paladin somehow puts off the GM and my fellow players (the only few comments I got with this character were tame and funny, not like the attempted rape on my elf sorcerer), even though she's female. Same for my cleric, 2masculine4them apparently.

I don't even mind a few jokes about my character being a woman, but with my sorcerer it got to the point where it disrupted the game and made it less enjoyable for me. I tried discussing it with them but the GM didn't understand. It's strange how they can be so normal interacting with a RL female then sperg out for a character.

Beast is about being a horrible nightmare creature and ruining people's lives, and how it's terrible when one of those people snaps and comes after you.

I think it has to do with the way women are used in fiction. Women are often love interest for important man, and are usually paired up by the end or fucked by someone. So they see female and think oh hey it's some romance option for my character, nice.

They literally can't see the character for anything beyond sex appeal. No male characters in my years of gaming have ever been hit on by a female npc, but the other way around it happens constantly.

Once in a dark ages wod game I said my lady character was going to church to meet the priest. I said I put on my nicest dress. Later the gm is joking about how my seduction attempt failed because duuuh priests are celibate haha. I was shocked because I hadn't been trying to do that at all. I asked why he thought I was trying to seduce him and he said "because you said you were wearing a slutty dress." He just saw easy he wanted to see, because in his perfect world all the women are just waiting to be fucked by someone I guess. Later he attempted the railroading sex scene, the worst one I've ever had to deal with. I guess he just wanted to fuck my character.

Really wow I was off.

Oh uh just to be clear I'm not talking about all guys, just some/most idk. Obviously not everyone is like this or acts on those ideas if they have them, and women can be nasty too.

>The male elf in a dress is occasionally mistaken for a woman.
Occasionally?
>The female dragonborn in scale armor is occasionally mistaken for a man.
Lizard tits.
>The bipedal spider is sometimes mistaken for an animal companion.
Monster and 'monster' races are probably the one exception.
>And the female elf swordswoman once got teased for getting a boyfriend after winning a duel against a swordsman.
This sounds like normal player banter.

That sounds amazingly fun.

Jesus.

>Playing games with women
Why do people hate their own fun so much Veeky Forums?

I've had the exact reverse: A guy playing a woman, and playing her as the biggest slut this side of Orgasmia, the Land of Sluts, and always trying to leverage her purely fictional looks into some sort of advantage.

At one point he argued that the random NPC at who's door he showed up and promised sex to should totally let the character in and let her rob him blind, because she was a hot woman promising him sex out of hte blue.

No, that shit is actually suspicious, and I already let you rob the other guy because you actually went through the trouble to act out your honeypot scheme. And once is enough.

Other than that, the biggest problem with people playing female characters we've had is that people forget about their gender completely and everyone defaults back to male. I even turned it into something of a character point while playing a Kobold, because I reasoned the males and females look almost the same.

That sounds like your DM has some other problems that you shouldn't blame on "how women are used in fiction."

Nothing has come out in the past, at least, ten years that does this, and there are thousands of famous examples of the opposite.

I'm not saying he's fine, I mean, holy shit he sounds like he needs help, but you're not blaming him for some reason.

Does anyone have the parody of the Frazetta painting with the woman on top of the pile of bodies and Conan draped an her leg? I can't find it.