Sleeping Gods Quest #52

Previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping Gods Quest
Character journal: pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
twitter.com/MolochQM
ask.fm/MolochQM

Three days on the road, with nothing to occupy your time but a book of philosophy and Tawn's sullen conversation, has taught you one thing.

Maybe the Emperor had a point, pushing forwards with his railroad. It would certainly save you from dying of boredom. At some points, it got so bad that you almost wished for an attack, an ambush or some meaningless act of rebellion. Anything that might give you an excuse to get out and move about a bit – even if that movement was just to swing a sword into someone's face.

Not a good desire to entertain, you know that, but you can't help it. You're not very good with boredom. As such, it comes as a great relief when the capital looms large on the horizon, and the convoy grinds to a halt.

Finally, a chance to stretch your legs.

Again, Tawn waves away any attempt to help him down from the carriage, lurching out of it with just enough grace to avoid a fall. As he curses softly to himself, you take a long moment to look around the capital, seeking out any oddity of threat. If you'd been expecting any overt sign of Takino's actions, you would have been disappointed – there are no banners bearing his name, or soldiers wearing his colours.

Not openly, at least.

There are certainly plenty of soldiers about, armed men come to meet their returning comrades and exchange greetings – unusually stiff, stilted gestures of welcome. That alone is enough to get your paranoid mind stirring. Although you don't let your guard down, not even for a moment, you try to settle the unease churning within as you survey the scene. A lot can be learned by watching soldiers, how they move and how they act, and these men are telling you – without ever saying a word - to stay cautious.

“You feel it too, don't you?” Tawn, slinking up to you so he can speak without anyone overhearing, asks, “There's ill work in the making... but I fear I won't be around to see it. My duties call for me elsewhere.”

Somewhere more important than here, you ask with a raised brow, now?

“South. The Stone of the South-West,” Tawn replies, “I'm being sent to negotiate with Hirohito, to see if he is willing to return. I have orders, signed with the Emperor's own seal, for him to lead his troops back to the capital. Whether he'll obey those orders or not... that's a different matter.”

For all his flaws, Hirohito is a loyal man – he wouldn't refuse a direct order from the Emperor.

“I think so too,” Tawn almost smiles, from behind that mask of his, “I hope so.”

“Gentlemen, gather round,” Ra, joining you, begins, “I have news. A feast has been prepared – tonight, of course – in the Emperor's name. As you can both very well imagine, I doubt the sincerity of such an event. It's possible – likely, even – that Takino will use this opportunity to make a move against the Emperor. Maybe something small, something designed to test his defences. Regardless, I want to make sure we look as strong as possible. For that, we'll need more soldiers – that means...”

“I understand,” Tawn nods, bowing his head, “I'm prepared to leave at once. I have only one concern. Bringing an army into the city... it might very well provoke Takino, forcing his hand.”

“That is a risk, yes,” Ra admits, “But if Takino chooses to make a move today, and we're not prepared, the risk will be far greater. In either case, the Emperor's command was clear – you are to head south and bring Hirohito back with you.”

And what about you, you ask, has the Emperor given you any orders?

“Do what you do best,” a faint smile touches Ra's lips, “Find trouble. If there's something to be found here, I'm confident you'll cross paths with it. Now, if you'll excuse me...”

“I should make my preparations,” Tawn adds, glancing back to one of the carriages, “If you want to ride with me, Ira, you're welcome along. You know where to find me.”

As the pair go their separate ways, leaving you alone, a soldier bumps into you and grunts out a few words. “You seen this?” he murmurs as a folded envelope is pushed into your hand, “Bad news, friend, bad news...”

And then he is gone, leaving you with a copy of Aya's newspaper. Penned in tiny letters, down in one corner, is the name of a tavern.

Trouble, it seems, has already found you.

>Head south with Tawn
>Track down this tavern
>Scout out the palace itself
>Other

>>Track down this tavern
Looks like we have a potential lead already.

>>Track down this tavern
>>Scout out the palace itself
Take a long walk around the palace to get a feel of the situation then do the same on the way to the tavern

>>Track down this tavern

>>Track down this tavern
See if we can get a feel for the mood in the city as we go.

The Boar and Bitch tavern – the name, you assume, is a reference to hog hunting – seems to be located deep in the Low Residential quarter, in the depths of the slums. Anything could be hiding in such a place, any number of plots or schemes. The question, then – who would be summoning you there, and why? Perhaps one of Ra's agents has uncovered some den of villainy, and now you're being tasked with settling the matter.

Or, perhaps it could be an ambush, set up just for you. If Takino really is planning to make a move tonight, having you out of the way would make things go a lot smoother.

You'll just have to wait and see, won't you?

As you travel through the city streets – bidding Tawn farewell and good luck before you go – you're careful to keep your eyes and ears open for any change in the wind, any tension or anger bubbling away. There's certainly something casting a dark cloud over the capital, some thick cloud of fear and discord, but it takes a long time for you to pin down a precise source. The people here are afraid, caught a few steps away from panic, and everyone's fear is down to the same reason. They fear another attack, a new siege upon the capital. With a new attack looming – apparently – the people have turned inwards, trusting their safety to the palace.

To Takino, in other words.

If that wasn't enough, there is another source of unrest, this one born of resentment and frustration. In a time like this, when barbarians are waiting to strike, how could the Emperor justify taking so many soldiers away on a vanity project? Their voices are quiet, but some whisper for the Emperor to be replaced by someone more deserving of the role.

Of course, this is all just a coincidence. None of this could have anything to do with Takino.

Of course.

[1/2]

When the dark and murky streets of the Lower Residential quarter give way to the Boar and Bitch tavern, you can't quite hide your distaste. You're not exactly a high society man, but this gutter is beneath even your low standards. It's the sword of place where you'd expect a knife in the back all the while you're there, only for leaving alive to be a disappointment as well. The building lists and leans in a way that suggests decay and imminent collapse, while the smell is one of an open drain.

Grimacing, you square your shoulders and make your way inside. Dimly lit, the tavern seems to make every effort to look as furtive as possible. In a darkened corner – of course, these meetings always take place in darkened corners – you see a vaguely familiar face. He isn't wearing his uniform right now, but you recognise the man as a soldier, a low officer. Crossing the room, you sit in the same pool of shadow and lean close to the man.

Grahn, you ask, wasn't it?

“I'm surprised you recognised me,” he gives a dark smile, “But then, it was quite a meeting we had last time.”

The thing at the Nameless Temple, you agree, it could have been a real mess.

“But you did me and my boys a good turn,” Grahn tilts his head slightly, “And it's about time I repaid the favour. I got word that you were part of the Emperor's little trip, so I knew there was at least one good man there. You're still in the bodyguard business, now?”

For now, you shrug. This isn't just a social call, you ask then, is it?

“No, I've got... information,” Grahn grimaces, falling silent as he gathers his thoughts.

>Takino, right? He's got something planned
>The people here are restless, I notice
>Remain silent for now
>Ask a specific question... (Write in)
>Other

>>The people here are restless, I notice

>The people here are restless, I notice
>Ask a specific question... (Write in)
"What's happened while the Emperor was gone?"

Don't mention Takino yet. Let's see what he knows first.

The people are nervous, you begin as Grahn scowls down at the scored wood of the table, that's what you've noticed at least. Something happened while the Emperor has been away, you guess, something that has got the people both afraid and angry.

“It's better than it was,” Grahn replies, “It was maybe... the day after the Emperor left. According to the official reports, a number of our soldiers were attacked, killed, outside the city. The survivor – again, this is all the official story – claimed that there was a large number of rebels gathering, preparing to attack the city. So, you're damn right that people are nervous – we still remember the first attack, and nobody wants to see another one. I've got a problem, however, with the official story.”

Go on, you press, what's this problem?

“Soldiers talk, you know?” the low officer begins, “When some guys get caught up in fighting, they tell their friends. Those men tell their friends, and the news spread. Here, I've heard nothing – no talk of any fighting other than what was given in the official report. So, I decided to dig a little deeper. Nine men, soldiers from one of Takino's unit, were reported dead. Only... they're pretty talkative, for dead men. One of them tried to get in contact with one of my boys, trying to turn him. I don't like this, but Takino is trying to stir up trouble here. There's supposed to be a dinner tonight, with the Emperor present.”

You heard that, you murmur, and that's when Takino is going to make his move?

“Maybe. There's going to be a demonstration outside the palace – people protesting at the Emperor leaving them unguarded,” Grahn pauses, taking a metal flask from inside his coat and drinking from it, “It's going to turn violent.”

[1/2]

The protest is a front, you offer, cover for an attack.

“The protest is genuine enough, but Takino's men – those nine soldiers of his – are going to goad the crowd, urging them on,” Grahn grimaces, “I don't know what his final goal is. Maybe it IS cover for an attack. Maybe it's just to make the Emperor look bad. Either way, it could turn into a genuine riot – and then we'll have a lot of dead citizens on our hands.”

Shit, you breath as you lean back, this doesn't give you a lot of time to think.

“I said that one of my men was approached,” Grahn says, tapping a finger against the table to draw your attention, “He's a good guy, he took the information straight to me, and now I'm giving it to you. I can't guarantee that all nine of them are going to be there, but this is where they meet.” He slides a scrap of paper, tightly folded, across the table to you. “I figure you might want to know about it. Maybe take it to someone higher up – I wager they'd put more value in this if it comes from you.”

Taking the piece of paper, you consider the issue. Arresting these men would be like lighting a signal flare for Takino - “look, we're onto you!” - but that might be the best way of stopping a riot. Unless, of course, you handled this personally – quietly. Nine dead agitators would be better than a full riot.

Unfolding the scrap of paper, you scan the address listed. It's not far – a slum building, one among countless others. The perfect place to hide nine supposedly dead men... or nine genuinely dead men.

>Ask Grahn for his opinion
>Investigate the slum building
>Take this information to Ra and the Emperor
>Ask some questions... (Write in)
>Other

>>Ask Grahn for his opinion

We could buy a bunch of rope and wait in the slum building until all 9 or most of them meet up. Then say hi with a Lapis Command to disarm and stand there until we subdue them, then just leave them in the building until the protest is over.

Lets run this by Ra first though.

As for the protest, we have a few Water Spells that can help with easing them.

>Ask Grahn for his opinion
I do want to take these guys out quietly, but we should inform our allies of the potential plot. Maybe Ra can help us do this quietly. Loyal soldiers out of uniform helping us subdue for example.

>>Ask Grahn for his opinion
>>Take this information to Ra and the Emperor

What's his take on this, you ask Grahn, what's his opinion?

“My take? You're looking at up to nine men, with military arms and training, in what's likely to be a tight space,” Grahn frowns, “Taking them head on would be bloody. Then again, if you just knocked on the door, they're likely to shoot on sight – you've got something of a reputation these days.”

Not surprising, really.

“So if you were going to hit them, I'd do it hard and fast – don't give them a chance to recover,” Grahn adds, “The tight space would work against them as well, so a lone attacker would have the advantage of speed.”

He's talking like you've already decided to attack them, you think aloud, as if this violence was inevitable.

“I'm a soldier, this is my line of work,” he shrugs, “If you want advice on how to handle this peacefully, talk to someone else. These men are willing to throw scores of innocent lives away so their boss can claw his way another rung up the ladder. In my book, that means they've lost their right to mercy.”

Perhaps so, you muse, but a live prisoner can tell you a lot more than a corpse. If you're going to pin this on Takino, you're going to need evidence and eyewitnesses. His boy, you ask, would he be willing to present his evidence at a tribunal?

“I wager he would,” Grahn nods, “He's a good kid, loyal to the Emperor. I tell you, when he read that interview, I swear I saw a tear in his eye...”

Cute. You'll see him later, you tell Grahn, but you've got someone else to talk this over with. With a little luck, this will all be over by the time the Emperor sits down to his dinner. As Grahn takes another pull on his flask, you get up and stride out. Time to see what Ra has to say about this.

[1/2]

Ra is back in the privacy of his personal quarters by the time you find him, regarding the room with an undue amount of fondness.

Or maybe it's the liquor cabinet he's admiring. It's hard to say.

“Tawn set off without any problems,” Ra tells you, simply for the sake of conversation, as he pours out two measures of a dark, smokey spirit, “I hear there could be trouble later. A small protest, set to be held outside the palace. It's not unheard of, but it troubles me nonetheless.”

It's going to trouble him a lot more, you begin ruefully, when he knows who's behind it. According to a... contact in the military, Takino has men in place to agitate the protest and turn it into a riot. If the Emperor cracks down hard, it could open the wounds you've all spent so long trying to close up. If he does nothing, it could make him look weak... easily replaceable. It's a tight spot to be in, especially considering the boy's lack of experience in handling matters such as these.

“A riot, yes,” Ra thinks on the issue, “It would take a lot of manpower to keep something like that contained. With the guards elsewhere, and the chaos offering a great deal of cover, the Emperor could be in danger. He really has thought this one out, Takino...” He almost sounds like he admires the man, if it wasn't for the note of disgust in Ra's voice. “So, you say there are nine men prepared to rouse the crowd...”

Nine men at least, you add, there's no way of knowing if Takino has any more recruits.

“Tell me, Ira, what would you do if you were in my position?” Ra regards you with mild interest, “How would you choose to resolve this?”

>What would YOU do?
>I'd have the men arrested, even if forces Takino's hand
>I'd have them eliminated – quietly
>I'd like to speak with them, to see if they could be persuaded to stand down
>Other

>Other
>I'd have the men pacified quietly so not to tip off Takino. Alive if possible for more information and to be used as evidence of Takino's guilt later if need be.

Take them down quietly. Dead or alive they should probably be moved to another abandoned slum building in case anyone else in on the plan comes looking for them. Possibly take one of the alive ones if there is any with us to the protest unconscious. We could hide him away nearby and use Web on him to scout out any other conspirators.

Depends, a few months back and I'd have killed them on the spot, now I'm willing to have a sit down and talk them into surrendering, they're only tools for the ambitions of a bigger fish. Though I feel also this kind of burning anger that can only be satiated by giving them a lot of broken bones and concusions for being idiots

>>What would YOU do?
And this. We only really need one of them alive.

"Got any rope?"

So, you ask in response, what would he do?

“I'd ask a trusted friend for advice,” Ra replies with a short laugh, “I'm not too proud to say this, Ira, but I'd have most of them eliminated as quietly as I could. A prisoner would be useful, but not essential. A large part of my job is to see threats such as this neutralised, with exactly as much force as was necessary.” His voice loses all humour as he looks down into his drink, swirling the dark liquid around. “But perhaps such methods are more suited to a past age,” he thinks aloud, “A less... noble time.”

A few months ago, you admit, you would have been ready to kill them on the spot. Now though, you recognise them for what they are – tools, used by the real culprit. If you could subdue them without killing them, they'd still be out of action, and there would be no reports of violence to alert Takino. A live one would be able to tell you much, while extra prisoners could be useful for comparing stories. Far more difficult for three men to tell the same lie, after all.

Still, you add with a smile, you're not expecting them to go quietly.

“No, I rather imagine not,” Ra opens a desk drawer and pulls out a blunt object – a wooden baton, the kind you've often seen soldiers using. “You would need to try very hard to kill a man with one of these,” Ra tells you, “But a solid blow will knock them out or stun them. Ideal for taking prisoners. Now... what else would you need?”

Rope, you reply, to bind their hands.

“Of course,” a smile passes across Ra's face, “It's been a very long time since I kept any rope at hand, but... ah...”

That's fine, you reply hastily, you can find some rope easily enough.

>I'll head out to the slums, then
>I think someone else would be better suited to this job
>I wanted to ask you something... (Write in)
>Other

Couple questions Moloch

Do we still have Soma's smoke grenades and if so how many? And they are just smoke right, not sleeping gas or explosives?

How much time is there between this encounter and the dinner/protest? Would it be enough time to regain any spell cards used in this encounter by meditating during that time?

>Got some clothes to make me look unlike myself?

>Other
I could use a couple of men to move and oversee the prisoners. And several empty booze bottles.

>We have two smoke grenades, and they act in a similar way to tear gas. They wouldn't put anyone to sleep, but it would make resistance a lot harder.
>There will be time to meditate between now and the evening, yes. We can use spell cards freely.

>I wanted to ask you something... (Write in)
"If all goes well I am going to have a bunch of bodies to deal with, unconscious or otherwise. Would it be possible for you to have some men, loyal and out of uniform, stationed nearby to help me move them?"

Not to mention that gas mask from Makai

Now all we need is a machine gun

Our gas mask resists the tear gas right?

A smoke bomb in the middle of all them and using Web to see them while they can't see us I think would work wonders.

>Yes, we have our gas mask, and it would be the perfect thing to protect us from the gas. Nice plan!

and Hyacinth to pin them in place, Ira "I'm batman" Furyo

Side question but would our element resistance/water breathing spell protect us from the tear gas?

>I would say yes, it would protect us. Gas could reasonably well count as an environmental hazard.

There are a few things he could do to help, you begin. First of all, does he have any clothes that might help to disguise you? Takino knows you, so anything that might conceal your identity would be very useful here.

“Clean clothes, perhaps,” Ra muses, fighting back a smile, “But yes, a disguise would be a wise precaution. Let me think...” He rises and opens a chest, rummaging through the creased, long-untouched contents, humming all the while. When he returns, he carries a loose shawl, one made from dark, waxed fabric. The sort of thing that a distinguished modern gentleman would wear to a rainy funeral. “It's not perfect,” he apologises, “But it's the best I can come up with on short notice. The hood should help conceal your face, if you pull it down low enough.”

It's ideal, you reply as you take it, you've got your own ways of hiding your face. Next – manpower. Does he have a few trustworthy men – men without uniform, ideally - to help move any prisoners you take?

“I can arrange for some of them, yes,” Ra nods, “I'll send word to them, and they should be waiting at the Low Residential quarter when you arrive. Was there anything else you could use?”

A few empty bottles would help, you reply as you cast an eye over his liquor cabinet, does he have any of those lying around?

“Perhaps,” Ra admits, with the good grace to look a little embarrassed, “I'll... see what I can find.”

-

It's not long before you're leaving the palace, your ill-gotten gains bundled under one arm. Ra was able to dig up three empty glass bottles for you – two really, but he was willing to empty a third there and then – and they rattle merrily as you walk. The slums lie ahead, and Takino's agitators wait within.

[1/2]

>“Clean clothes, perhaps,” Ra muses,
Low blow, man

You asked Ra for some trustworthy men without uniforms, and he really delivered. Just... you weren't expected these familiar faces. All three of them are members of Murasa's crew, looking to be just about the opposite of strictly uniformed soldiers. You recognise them all by eye, but you only know the name of their leader – an athletic looking woman, stronger than most. Toramaru, her name was.

“Ain't my idea of how to spend my shore leave,” she complains as you lead her and her two sullen, bulky comrades along, “But orders are orders. I don't much fancy being thrown in a cell just because I told the old man I'd rather be out drinking.”

You'll do your best to get this over quickly, you assure her, and then she can get back to... whatever she was doing. When you get close to the address, you stop your party and survey the area. The building you were looking for is ahead – just one more piece of urban decay blighting the land. Three stories high, it leans even more than the Boar and Bitch, as if it was trying to butt against the next building across.

“So?” Toramaru whispers as you both examine the hideous building, “What's the plan?”

>You stay here. I'm going in alone
>Get your men, we're going in
>Wait for now. Watch and wait
>Here's the plan... (Write in)
>Other

Let's hope the bottles look like something soldiers would drink, and not some 80 year old collectable wine...

>>Wait for now. Watch and wait
Maybe have someone cover from another angle

>You stay here. I'm going in alone
Then
>Watch and wait
Try and get in from the 2nd or 3rd story. Are there any of the agitators guarding the building on the outside?

Best girl is finally in the quest. Thank you Moloch.

>Here's the plan...
Surround the building and watch all the exits. I'll go inside. Grab and subdue anyone who tries to escape.

This. Make sure they stay hidden as best they can.

Well I'm not sure the alcohol ploy will work if we are binding them and taking them away.

Well actually we could, after we move them to another building, just leave the bottles in their slum to imply they'd be drinking for anyone who comes by looking for them.

They need to stay here, you tell the group of sailors, and watch the exits. If anyone tries to run, they need to grab them and bring them down – alive, if possible. Stay out of sight if they can, but keep their eyes open. You're going to handle the inside work alone.

“Huh,” Toramaru grunts, “I can see why the boss likes you – you've got more guts than most.”

Certainly more guts than most old fools, you reply as you settle in to watch the building. Although the windows are all stopped up, some are only covered with sackcloth rather than wooden slats. As you watch, you spot a vague silhouette moving up on the second floor. The third floor, however, shows no signs of life. High up, not quite a balcony, you spy a ledge. Easy enough to cut through one of those sackcloth covers and make your way in, if you had a way to get that high up.

You've got your methods.

So, you ask Toramaru, ready for this?

“For this crazy scheme?” the pirate laughs bluntly, “I don't think I'll ever be properly ready. But hey, go ahead – show me what you've got. It'll make a good story for when we see the boss again.”

You'll have to make sure you put on a good show, you shoot back with a grin, you wouldn't want to disappoint Murasa. Then, drawing in a heavy breath, you set things into motion. Calling upon Veragi's magic, you step through space and emerge onto the crude half balcony, dragging the midnight black dagger down the length of the sackcloth to make an opening. Then you're inside, draped in shadows and as quiet as the grave.

Slowly, careful not to make any excess noise, you put on the iron gas mask that Soma gave you, so long ago now. You hear a single set of footsteps on the floor below, and a number of muted voices below those. Hard to say how many – they overlap and compete with each other.

>Go loud, take them as quickly as you can
>Move quietly through, dealing with the targets as they come
>Other

>>Move quietly through, dealing with the targets as they come

>Other
Web up first. Lets get everyone's location first.

Okay this might be a bit convoluted but how about this plan.

The guy on the 2nd floor is isolated right? If we can sneak up behind him and subdue him real quick, hand/vines over mouth so he can't scream we can Lapis Command him to

"Go downstairs and tell everyone to gather around. You are going to go over the plan again in full detail to make sure there are no mistakes."

This does two things. We get everyone all together for a smoke bomb and we hear the entire plan so there are no surprises.

Pretty good, don't waste vines this early though

>move quietly
we can always switch to loud after all

>Pretty good, don't waste vines this early though

We can do it twice with our new spell.

I say go with this. Only use our vines in an emergency though.

Right, but considering we're against 9+ people I'd still be super cautious though I'm the kind of guy that ends a game without having used a single potion

Crouching low, you focus on the sound of those muted, restless footsteps and whoever might be making them. Picturing them in your mind – you imagine a blunt, blocky man, the very image of dumb muscle – you call upon a new magic. It seems appropriate, since you're lurking up here like a spider, like a patient, careful predator. How many are down there, you think silently, all of them?

Slowly, as the veil descends and you see the world, once again, through those alien, inhuman eyes the truth is revealed to you.

On the second floor, there are two men – one pacing impatiently about, and the other sitting stock still, not thinking at all. The roaming man seems to be regarding his companion with contempt, disgust at... his laziness, you think. Asleep, perhaps? From there, long and tight bonds of loyalty reach down to the bottom floor, to the other seven men waiting below.

Two men below you, seven below them. That makes nine – the gang's all here.

Sheathing your dagger, you take out the heavy wooden baton that Ra gave you and slip closer to the stairs down. As you walk, the web seems to tremble, each connection shaking and stirring. It's not easy to concentrate, seeing the world like this, but the information it offers you is invaluable. Peering down, your eye falls upon the still man – he is, indeed, lost to a deep sleep. With a light and careful step, you might be able to deal with his awake colleague first. As you listen to his lumbering steps, a plan comes to mind.

If you could gather everyone together, and get them to talk over their plans, that would be perfect means of gathering information. Well worth the additional risk. Tightening your grip on the baton, you prepare to put your plan into action.

>Please roll 1D100 to move quietly, aiming to beat 60/80. I'll take the highest of the first three results.

Rolled 86 (1d100)

Rolled 13 (1d100)

walk soflty

Rolled 17 (1d100)

Nice

It's not difficult to work out a way of slipping up behind this restless, roaming soldier – he always seems to follow the same path, without any kind of deviation or diversion. Somehow, you suspect that you could watch him for hours, and he would do nothing but follow that same, repetitive path. It doesn't suggest good things about his intelligence, but it makes sneaking up on him much easier. All you need to do is wait for him to start moving away from you, and then you can take him.

Even his sleeping friend doesn't offer any resistance, his attention obviously elsewhere. He murmurs a little when you rise from a crouch and seize his friend, but that's the only sound you get out of him.

And what must the wakeful man think, you wonder, when a large figure – faceless save for one eye burning out from behind an iron mask – grabs him and clasps a hand to his mouth? He must feel like the unluckiest man in the land, a true victim of circumstances beyond his control.

Don't talk, you hiss in his ear, don't even move. You hold him for a moment more as you wait and listen, checking the ever-shifting tapestry of bonds to see who moves, and to where. The men below you are just as restless as your captive was, but their roamings seem confined to the lowest level. For now, you've got some time alone with your new friend.

Perfect.

He's going to go downstairs, you murmur, and he's going to gather his allies. Together, they're going to go over the plans for tonight, one last time. He's going to do that, you finish with words bolstered by Lapis' draconic power, isn't he?

Stiff, his posture rigid, the soldier slowly nods. When you cautiously release him, he begins to lurch downstairs, his eyes as blank and dull as you imagined they would be. It's only as an afterthought that you strike his sleeping companion over the head, immediately driving him into a deeper kind of sleep.

Better to be safe than sorry.

[1/2]

“One last time?” a voice from downstairs groans, “Shit, how many times do we need to-”

“It doesn't matter,” a calmer voice interrupts, “We go over this as often as we need to – this needs to be perfect. When this is over, and Takino sits upon the throne, we'll be the most important men in the land. His officers, his military council... we'll have it all.”

“It might be a little harder than expected though,” a third voice complains, “Did you read that damn article? The Emperor has half the damn city eating out of the palm of his hand after that. I wager we won't see half the number of protesters we had been expecting. I don't know about you lot, but I was told there would be plenty of bodies between me and the Emperor's rifles. Even if we manage to start a riot, I question whether or not we'll be able to get away clean.”

“Scared of a little risk?” the first voice sneers, “You idiot – we've got the easy job. Our man inside the palace... do you really think he's going to walk out alive? If he knew what kind of role Takino had planned for him – the once loyal guard, now turned assassin – do you really think he would have signed up for this? No, he's going to take all the blame, and we can walk away without a scratch.”

They have a man inside the palace, you murmur, one of the guards. An assassin, put in place to take advantage of the chaos and uncertainty of the riot. Ra needs to know about this. First, though, you've got these targets to neutralise.

A little gas to soften them up, and this should be easy.

>Please roll 1D100 to clear the room, aiming to beat 70/90. I'll take the highest of the first three, and name a spell card if you wish to use one.

Rolled 68 (1d100)

Rolled 80 (1d100)

Using Sublime Strike wouldn't make this 100 right? Since it's a group of people instead of one target correct?

>Yes. Sublime Strike is used for a single, powerful attack, so it wouldn't help us here.

Rolled 79 (1d100)

Hmm we already have Web on to help us see. Would using Vines helps us?

>Using our vines would stop anyone from breaking and running, which is a definite advantage, but it wouldn't let us pull this off perfectly.

We should use it then since I don't think we can break 90 in anyway.

Damn, imagine if we had used wrath of the goods on the sleeping guy, we'd have a minimum of +10 now

As long as there's no spell that would put us over the edge for that last degree of success I vote vines

Wrath resets as you change targets.

Right

Guess we're fucked then, let's just vine

Checking the seals on your gas mask one last time, you pluck one of Soma's weapons – a gas bomb of some kind – from your coat and spend a moment trying to remember how the damn thing is supposed to work. Pull out the pin, you think, and then throw. Or was it...

Oh well, you think as you pull out the metal pin and throw the metal cylinder into the room below, only one way to find out. As the bomb starts to spew out thick clouds of smoke – a kind of greyish beige colour – the conspirators, all gathered around a long table, cry out in shock. Through the thick veil of mist, you see the seven silhouettes, all caught up in their own reactions. Most are simply stunned, coughing as the gas attacks their sensitive eyes, while a pair start to scrabble for the door. As one reaches it, you slam your foot into the ground and call upon Hyacinth's thorny blessings.

Coughs soon turn to desperate cries as lashing tendrils burst from the ground to ensnare the escaping soldiers. As the vines drag them to the ground, you lash out with the heavy baton, smashing it into the first shape you see. Moving quickly, the gas coiling and winding around your limbs as you walk from figure to figure, beating any trace of resistance out of them. When the smoke starts to clear, six bodies are scattered across the room, groaning, sobbing and clutching at their battered bodies.

Six...

“You bastard!” a voice, rough and raw with coughing, cries out, drawing your eye to the final target. He stands at the opposite end of the long table, glaring at you through reddened, painful eyes. Held in his trembling hands is a military carbine. “I'll kill you,” he adds, “I'll-”

With a burst of motion, you grab the long table and flip it over, throwing it into the soldier as his finger tightens on the trigger. The shot rings out, flying harmlessly into the ceiling.

And then it's over.

[1/2]

Leaving the bottles was my intention all along, for exactly this purpose.

“Someone's gonna report that shot,” Toramaru tells you as she gets to work tying up one of the soldiers, pressing his face into the floor, “We'd better get out of here as soon as possible. There's no way of knowing whether or not it'll be Takino's men that get here first.”

Agreed, you nod, better to keep him in the dark for as long as possible. As the trio of pirates begin to drag the prisoners away, you scatter the alcohol bottles you brought around. Fortunately for your ploy – making this look like a drunken brawl – the conspirators had a fair few empty bottles of their own scattered about. The liquor bottles blend right in with the trash scattered about, like a single drop in the ocean. Even the discarded carbine bolsters the illusion – one drunken fool pulls out a gun, and the whole mob scatters like frightened birds.

With a little luck, the ploy should buy you a little extra time. Even a few hours would be enough.

-

Leading the prisons through the slums is more frustrating than you expected, especially as you're burdened down by one of them – he won't be waking up in a hurry, so you were forced to carry the body with you. Although you make slow progress, it's at least consistent, save for a short moment when a group of passing soldiers forces you into an alleyway. When they are gone, you can resume your journey. At the edge of the Low Residential quarter, a larger group of Ra's men are waiting to whisk away the prisoners.

Relieved of your burden at long last, it's time to plan your next move.

>Speak with Grahn – he might know about Takino's assassin
>Return to Ra – he needs to stay informed
>Take a look around the palace by yourself
>Other

After that

Take him with us to Ra.

We could, later after we meditate, use one of the unconscious agitators and use Web with him in the palace and look for conspirator connections.

>>Speak with Grahn – he might know about Takino's assassin
then

Yes, Grahn might be able to tell you a little more about Takino's man within the palace. Soldiers talk, after all, and he might have heard something. Even speculation or rumour might be worth investigating, if it gives you a place to start looking. If any of these nine conspirators had a friend within the palace guard, that would be a good place to begin an investigation. If not... well, you have your ways of getting the truth out of people.

Grahn is still in the Boar and Bitch when you stick your head around the door. He manages to look awake and alert, all while draped in the guise of a midday drunk – a good skill for a man to have, if he wants to sink below notice. Sitting opposite him and leaning in close, you waste little time. Takino has an assassin, you murmur, a man in the palace guard. Has he heard anything that might help?

“It makes sense, now you mention it” Grahn admits, “I didn't think earlier, but a number of Takino's elite troops were drafted in to patch up the holes left by the first attack. That included several places within the palace guard. You're saying one of them might have been recruited as an assassin?”

Someone who didn't know what he was getting into, you explain, someone who didn't realise he was being used as a weapon – a disposable tool.

“You'd need to be pretty gullible to buy into a scheme like this. Gullible or desperate...” Grahn presses his thumbs to his temples as he thinks, “Wait. Hold on. You're looking for a weak link, right? Someone who could be easily manipulated?”

That sounds about right, you agree, does he have someone in mind?

“Maybe,” the low officer frowns, “I can't be certain, but...”

Come on, you tell him, he needs to speak with someone higher up than you. You both do. Rising, you lead Grahn out of the dismal tavern, with the palace as your next stop.

[1/2]

“His name is Otu,” Grahn explains as you and Ra listen, “Otu Gahima. He's not a bad guy, from what I hear, but he makes stupid damn decisions. He drinks, and he loses huge amounts of money playing dice games. Every time, he thinks he'll win it all back, but...”

So he has debts, you deduce, the kind that he might be willing to do anything to pay back.

“As I understand it, yes,” Grahn nods, “But I never took him for an assassin. He's not exactly a hard man. If you grab him and throw him in a cell, he'll sing – within an hour, I'd bet.”

And this guy is supposed to be an elite soldier?

“Gahima...” Ra repeats the name, “I know a man of some renown by that name. I'd be willing to credit his influence for Otu holding a lofty position. Such things are... not uncommon, I'm afraid. Well, in either case, this all gives me an idea. With Takino's agitators out of action, and his assassin within our sights, we've pulled his fangs. When the dinner goes ahead tonight, we'll see how he reacts. I suspect that he might give away his true intentions, not realising that we were one step ahead of him. Then, we'll be in the perfect position to take him into custody. What do you think, Ira – how do you fancy an invitation to the dinner tonight?”

>Good plan Ra. I'll be there
>I'd rather keep an eye on the protesters. Takino might have gathered more agitators
>I want to confront Takino myself, in private. Perhaps I can persuade him to surrender
>I had my own plan... (Write in)
>Other

I'll keep an eye on the Emperor in case Otu isn't our assassin after all.

Okay another convoluted plan here but hear me out.

So we go to the dinner right. Then after awhile while the protest is full swing we ask Sho to ask Takino to help calm down the crowd since the public likes him right now and us to go with him for protection. Then when he is in front of the public we use our Lapis Command to force him to answer our questions truthfully and have him confess to all his crimes in front of the public.

Would that be too risky?

Though if Ra is right and he fucks up at dinner this plan is moot.

Actually Moloch what's the win scenario here? I mean merely getting Takino to confess and be put in our custody would be somewhat simple with our powers.

Also
>Other
Send the for the Anti-Takino Newspaper.

>Really, now I think about it, any outcome which involves Takino under arrest could be considered a victory. Even without a confession, we've probably got enough witnesses to pin this on him. A public confession would just seal the deal. I would say, though, that using magic to force a confession could be dangerous.

I suppose that's true. Merely letting him slip up or using untraceable magic would probably be better.

Good plan, you tell Ra, that's an invitation you're only too happy to accept. You're not one for stuffy dinners, but the chance of seeing Takino having a meltdown is more than enough to make up for that.

“Excellent,” Ra nods, “I'll make the necessary arrangements. You'll be close enough to watch over the Emperor and Takino, but you won't be a formal part of the event. That means you won't need to, ah...”

You glance down at your clothes, stained with the occasional spray of blood from when you had been attacking the conspirators. No need to dress fancy, you tell Ra, you understand.

“Good,” Ra almost seems relieved that he doesn't have to be the one to say it, “I'll have someone watching this Gahima as well. When the proceedings are getting underway, I'll make sure he's out of the way – nothing serious, you understand, I'll just have a few men speak with him in private. I rather suspect that's all we need to get the truth out of him. Before we started, was there anything you had left to do?”

It's a late now – things are progressing faster than expected – but you want to send for Aya's second newspaper. It'll arrive in time to piss all over Takino's good name, though, and that's good enough for you. Once that's taken care of, you'll spend the rest of the time meditating – preparing yourself for what is to come.

It's going to be a dinner to remember.

-

Outside, beneath a dark sky and spotty, distant stars, the meagre crowd shuffles and desperately tries to get itself fired up and furious. Such a pitiful display barely deserved to be called a protest, even if some brave soul occasionally yells a vulgar word at the closest passing soldier. They couldn't start a riot in a packed tavern, let alone the near empty streets outside the palace.

Takino doesn't look very happy about that.

[1/2]

You're not eating anything tonight. You're not drinking either, even though you're sure that the wine is a cut above what you're used to. No, you're simply watching Takino like a hoary, one-eyed hawk, never letting your gaze stray too far from him. He looks... angry. That's nothing new – he always looks at least a little bit angry – but tonight he looks furious. He looks like someone who has just had countless hours of planning systematically dismantled right in front of him, while he was helpless to do a thing about it.

Which is pretty accurate, considering.

Sho, on the other hand, looks like he's about to start laughing like a madman at any minute. With more tact than you ever expected from the boy, though, he merely focusses on eating the majestic food wait out before him, picking lightly at whatever takes his fancy. Then, with a sudden explosion of energy, he lunges forwards and slams his fork into the roasted head of a great boar, causing the centrepiece to rattle against the table. Takino doesn't jump or cry out – a bit of a disappointment really – but he stiffens up and turns as pale as a sheet.

“I must thank you for this welcome,” Sho purrs, “You really must be glad to have me back. Why, now that I'm here, you can return to the Stone of the South-East. I hear it's lovely down there, at this time of year.”

“I am prepared to do my duty,” Takino responds cautiously, picking each and every word with care, “I am, after all, a loyal servant of-”

“No you're not,” the Emperor interrupts, his voice softer than his words would suggest, “Loyal? You don't even know the meaning of the word. You plotted my death out on the road, and now that I've returned, you plan to take my head once again. Really... you're only loyal to yourself.”

Silence. Dead, absolute silence.

Welp

“You could have been a strong leader,” Takino says quietly, meeting Sho's gaze with more resolve than you expected, “It was within your grasp, but you weren't willing to tighten your grip. Now, it's all going to slip away from you. Do you really think you're an Emperor, boy? No, you're going to end up as nothing more than a puppet, dancing on someone else's strings. You're weak – destined to be nothing more than a tool for someone else to use.”

“No, General Takino, the only tool here is you,” Sho replies, a slight smile touching his lips, “You're a blunt instrument, and I think it's about time I put away crude implements such as you. You've lost, Takino, now surrender with a little bit of dignity.”

“Do what you must,” the disgraced officer says coldly, “As much as I wish I could deny it, you're right – you've bested me. I'll give you one last warning, though. When your harlot bride is pouring poison into your ear, and you realise how helpless you truly are... remember this moment, and remember that you chose to be weak. Remember, boy, that I warned you.”

“Your warning is noted,” Sho replies, with nothing more than a note of bored contempt, “Now get out my sight. Guards... take him away.”

With a terrible, wounded dignity, Takino wipes his mouth with a silk napkin, casts it down to the table, and then rises to meet the approaching soldiers. Without raising a single word of protest, he allows them to lead him from the dining room. As the doors slam shut behind him, Sho finally lets himself slump back in his plush seat.

“What a bastard,” the boy mutters, loud enough that anyone with ears could overhear.

You couldn't agree more.

>I think I'll end things here for tonight. Next thread on Sunday, and I'll stick around for a while in case of any questions!

That went pretty smoothly. Smoother than I thought.

Thanks for running Moloch.

>No, you're going to end up as nothing more than a puppet, dancing on someone else's strings. You're weak – destined to be nothing more than a tool for someone else to use.

This is coming from the guy who was used as a tool for Ascetic. He didn't honestly believe Ascetic was going to let him have his half of Tenngaru did he?

Nah, Takino didn't believe that. He did, however, assume that he'd be able to get rid of the Ascetic himself. Amusingly, the Ascetic had the exact same idea. They deserved each other, to be quite honest!

Makes me wonder what might go wrong next!
But really, this was always going to come down to prep work. Takino was never the type to fight face to face.

So was the would be assassin Gahima? Are him and the nine agitators all in custody?

What about the rest of Takino's forces?