Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

depositsmag.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/fig-03.jpg?w=850
youtube.com/watch?v=ahFO2r28vzI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why are you not a SHINING PARAGON OF ALL THAT IS JUST, what's stopping you, Veeky Forums?

Are humans in creation lactose tolerant, generally?

Veeky Forums, everyone.

Yes. Consider most diseases, allergies and afflictions nonexistent in Creation and invent your own with whatever symptoms you consider good for the plot/character.

One person or another is gonna see injustice in what you do, it's unavoidable.

being lactose tolerant isn't a disease, allergy, or affliction.

Yes, and? You, as the Chosen of a God, are stopped by what others might think of you? How did you even earn that thing, with that attitude?

Stop being willfully obtuse, you know what I mean.

I genuinely don't.

Most terrestrial diseases, allergies and afflictions are present in Exalted. It's one of the cornerstones of the setting actually, that villages get Cholera outbreaks instead of Magic Plagues.

All I'm saying i that it's up to the GM whether or not to include any IRL ailment in their game. They are as lactose tolerant as the GM wants and should base that decision on what's best for the campaign or setting vibe they are trying to create.

The Marukani at least drink mare's milk, and I believe cow milk was mentioned as a popular drink in Harborhead.

It's reasonable for people from places where milk isn't consumed very much (like the West) to be lactose intolerant.

I don't know what this would really be adding to your game though.

"whatever the story teller says" is a non-answer. Of course the ST can just use whatever, that's true about literally anything. The ST could have all battles be paintball fights and the main struggle of the setting be speedballing Solars getting all smug and lording it over woodsballing terrestrials.

I wanna know what the actual text suggests.

The actual text does not address this issue because it is not important.

Sure, but with the vast amounts of lore documents out there, there are bound to be hints here and there. see

There's no official game stance on whether humans in Creation are usually lactose intolerant or not. It's not really important to the overall game setting whether humans are lactose tolerant or not. There are, after all, much more important uses of word count than on something like that.

If it is important to your setting, then just decide for yourself.

I wonder, how would the Infernal version of Unity of the Closed Fist work?

What infernal version? It's a sorcery spell, it doesn't have "versions".

>What infernal version?
Exactly what it says on the tin, I was asking if Unity of the Closed Fist could be performed by Infernals?

Yes, they have access to all circles of Sorcery.

The only thing the sorcerer's exalt type changes is which Sorcery Circles they have access to.
In the case of the Unity spell, its appearance is the amalgam of all the participants thematics.

Thanks for clearing that up .You know, now that I think about, asking about availability for UotCF seems rather...silly. I mean that Solars can obviously do it and the Abyssals prolly can use it as well (admittedly their version is most likely set to Crawling In My Skin, but enh) so it would be stupid for the Infernals not to use it...unless the Yozi realize how much of threat the fusion could pose to them and all of them made sure that the Infernals serving under them would never be able to use the spell...naturally when the whole Green Sun Prince thing happened this went out the window rather spectacularly.

Abyssals can't use Unity of the Closed Fist because it's Solar Circle Sorcery.

Remember that the caster doesn't need to be in the fusion, IIRC.

But aren't Abyssals created from the Solar Exaltations the Neverborn got their mitts on?

I get the feeling that I may be barking up entirely the wrong tree.

Well...whoops.

I forget if they get Celestial circle sorcery (probably), but they get all 3 circles of Necromancy instead of Solar Circle.

Anyone know when the full pdf with images is getting released to the public? Is it just people who chose the charm for now?

That's the 2e version, yes. I'm pretty sure that other Celestial exalts got level 2 for both, and I forget whether Terrestrials were 1/1 or 1/0. I mean, they're TERRESTRIALS. They're tied to the elements of creation.

1/0

What really divides Sorcery from Necromancy in exalted? Asking about both 2E and 3E

1/0 except for the Underwolrd element DB plot hook.

What you can do with it.

So you can't do anything dead themed at all with Sorcery?

Also what do you think the odds are on getting an ST guide later on? It'd be ok with a good bestiary.

Oh you poor summer child.

*tugs braid*

>So you can't do anything dead themed at all with Sorcery?
Not quite, but it is difficult to put into words.

Fluff-wise, whether you're manipulating the ambient essence of Creation or the Underworld. Crunch-wise, it's a lot like the Solar/Abyssal split, i.e. mostly thematic rather than functional.

I wouldn't be surprised if, rather than throwing a flaming bird that explodes at a target, you throw a shard of bone that explodes at a target. And then causes bone shards to erupt from the ground as an environmental hazard, because that way it does exactly the same thing as FotBR.

What are the underworld elements, anyway? Ash, blood, bone... angst and eyeliner?

>It'd be ok with a good bestiary.
I too would like one of these, I was here when we came up with that Behemoth who leaves invasive Wyld-Opiate-kudzu behind it. I was trying to figure out how you could make money from it.

Also Behemoth Kool Aid Man.

>Behemoth who leaves invasive Wyld-Opiate-kudzu behind it
Oh man, that was cash. Anyone got it written down?

All i remember is that it looked like a centipede and it was completely blitzed out of it's fucking mind.

Anyone tried ST'ing interacting with a Primordial/Yozi/Neverborn like being in a campaign or setting? So the Yozi is like an alternate stable universe imposing its laws? And less an angry nuclear Karkat.

I've wondered if you could portray Yozi reality manipulation as a little like the Narrator in the Stanley Parable, or a railroading GM.

Difficult to do it without too much meta though.

Here.

So are the Exalted 1E Bundle of Holding offers worth getting?

whats a nishkriya

A miserable little pile of I have no idea, but I appreciate you bumping the thread, even if we're still short on content.

I still feel like we need more OC to keep these things going. We've got one book (plus the fluff from the back catalog) which we've already pored over and a whole series of repeated assertions about the people who wrote and play the game; we do not have enough to talk about to maintain a general unless we add more homebrew stuff.

I could repost some of my old stuff, but I just criticized reposting and I'd be more interested in someone's idea for where we could keep and categorize all of the homebrew people make for this game. The OP copypasta has barely anything to it. Maybe a wiki?

Its used for the name of the site that tracks dev quotes. In the 2e fair folk book opening comic the character has a 'nishkriya mask' and its mentioned somewhere in gunstar autochronia when they're talking about the giant scorpion that eats planets. But i still dont know what it is

Well it won't be a problem for too much longer. The leaks kinda ruined all the hype for the core, so its all been talked to death by the time it comes out. But now all the things that caused delaies for the core aren't really on the table anymore for the other books. The rest is likely to be a bit more regular, so we'll probably be getting multiple books per year from here on out which will liven things up.

HOPES/EXPECTATIONS/NIGHTMARES FOR DB BOOK GO

Have we already finished talking about the backer charms?

there wasnt alot to talk about really. It was like 20 pages max

Im mildly excited to see where they go with the whole taming your essence thing thats been alluded to in a few places

how would you do mutations where the character has fully functional flight wings, but not as a separate limb, on his arms. like depositsmag.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/fig-03.jpg?w=850 but on a human, so hes got hands but the wings sorta go off the wrist, so you're not able to really use the hands and wings simultaneously

in 2e that'd be limited manifestation and flight for 5 mutation points, right? but what about 3e?

Wings are Wings in Ex3. Gliding is three dots, full on flight is five. Four dice penalty on disguises, and three dice penalty on aerial combat.

well if we're talking a human wings that size wouldn't be able to lift him off the ground. Humans are too heavy for that.
Assuming some other things are involved that DO allow for flight I'd have it be rather low maneuverability. The hands thing I'd just handle by saying the player can't interact with things using his hands while flying and maybe imposing a penalty on certain actions do to how clunky his hands could be.

I think he means wings of sufficient size to lift a human just like the wings trait usually gives, but rather than angel/demon wings they're batwings that piggyback on the character's arms without replacing his hands.

So we're talking the 5 dot true flight wings that come with a dex penalty on the ground for how they extend his forearm backwards, and deny use of your hands entirely in flight rather than the book's "Actions taken in the air which require any degree of finesse or precision (including attacks in combat) suffer a -3 penalty; drawing a bow or swinging a spear without getting in the way of one’s own wings is more difficult than it looks!"

Is Righteous Devil, or even firewards in general, worth specking into? It seems rather odd.

It's more of a "my character's flavor is" thing than a minmax combatmonster thing. you'd pick it because its fun not because its the best choice

I forgot to mention that flaws have no value in 3e, so it /is/ the 5 dot wings

Tell me about your character Veeky Forums
I haven't had the chance to play Exalted in forever.

How is Withdrawing supposed to work?

you wanna leave but the guy trying to shank you doesn't want you to leave so you contest. Thats about it

If the person withdrawing gets to move one range band, plus one for succeeding on the roll, every turn, then it's not actually possible to catch someone withdrawing - you can only move one range band closer, but they can always move one away and sometimes move two.

If the person withdrawing only gets the extra move on the turn they start the withdraw, then you can't escape at all from medium range and only get one chance if you try it from long - the pursuers can always move one range band closer, but you can't always move one range band away, and can't move more than one away at all except on the turn you start withdrawing.

So, how the fuck is it supposed to work?

she's a giant slut for fae dick
that's all you need to know

Your first reading is correct; the withdrawing character moves back 1 range band, plus 1 on each round they hit the 10 success mark.

However, you have to actually be fleeing TO somewhere; on an open field, sure, once you get some distance, you'll maybe get away eventually. In a canyon or a locked house...

The abilities of individuals are important here too; if they have a ranged weapon, they can knock you prone as a gambit and screw you out of a round of Withdrawing.

>If the person withdrawing gets to move one range band, plus one for succeeding on the roll, every turn, then it's not actually possible to catch someone withdrawing
thats if they win the roll. You just gotta be faster

So if im reading 2e right, sidereals have postcognition limited only by things saturn puts a no no sign on right?

Withdrawing isn't contested, it's just an extended action.

its difficulty ten for each range band. Also you lose ten int every time you try. If you manage to actually get ten successes before people get close then yeah you get away scot free, otherwise you probably die.

Can loom-snarling deception be used to make a thin character fat? (I'd think yes)

can it hide body-plan altering mutations such as a tail?(i'd think no)

..but can it make a fat character thin? thats where I'm not sure

What's the best way to take advantage of Faster Than Self? Best I could come up with was Single Point/Steel Devil combo, for up to -6 onslaught penalty to everything in a single rangeband.

With FTS, can another Solar use Comand actions & War charms on you?

No that'd be fucking insane. How do you command one dude running around really fast?
Its basically IAM as is

Since you're effectively multiple people, can you have sex with yourself using it?

Its up to interpretation, but I would say that making your physique look thinner or fatter is fine. People can use mundane techniques to make themselves look a little thinner, so I would say titanic shadow magic that is so powerful it literally warps the fabric of Creation's causality engine around you, could do better than a corset. How much better is a question for your gaming group.

It does say you need to follow "the same basic body plan", so I don't think it can add or remove limbs, like tails or wings. But you could probably hide scales or insectoid eyes; stuff that just changes how you look, rather than giving you new bits.

I'm sure that, given their lifespans, a Solar will figure out a way to use every single one of their Charms as a masturbation aid sooner or later.

>moving so fast you hump the air and then move in front and shove your ass back, your Solar magic combining with your lust for yourself and allowing your cock and asshole to be in the same place at the same time

Scroll of Swallowed Darkness-tier

Absolutely.

Why am I reminded of Billy Whiz?

what do you guys think of Earth Scorpion

>Are humans in creation lactose tolerant, generally?
Lactose probably doesn't exist in Creation, because Creation doesn't have real-world chemistry, but there are probably people who get sick when they drink cow milk. It's probably rarest in the South, with it becoming more common the further you get from areas where cattle are extensively raised.

autist and kind of a dick

What is interesting about the neverborn? Are boring compared to the other antagonists IMO.

He writes good Exalted fanfiction.

>whats a nishkriya
The Shinma of Conflict.

The neverborn aren't antagonists in any meaningful sense. The Deathlords are the antagonists

Are there any martial arts dedicated to momentarily crippling or disarming a foe over pure damage.

youtube.com/watch?v=ahFO2r28vzI
Joint Elemental Dragon Formation when? Yes I'm asking for a MA thing that turns the participating DB into an Elemental Dragon of the same type as their Caste for a scene, not sure what sort of damage you would be looking at though.

Unity of the Closed Fist is a Solar Circle spell, but the caster need not be one of the participants.

See Maybe we'll have something in the DB charms like we did for the Solars, but I doubt it.

As for the turning into a dragon thing, we have that in Dreaming Pearl Courtesan, I doubt it'll be repeated for elemental variations. DPC is supposed to be weird and special, which would be lessened if it was copied.

i know overall it's aztec china, but what is the most european part of creation?(not barbarian vikings, looking for italian/roman or celtic) I'm thinking best bet is to look somewhere in the 100 kingdoms?

also what is your favorite region?

Isn't it supposed to be that the North is mostly European in design?
Though it does seems like a lot of the white areas are mostly barbarians or of little importance.... And they have added more of an Asian undertone to the whole direction with some of the new places in 3e.

why would they be? people in creation raise cows(and horses, and other milk producing livestock) too

Medo has somewhat Eastern Europe kind of feel. Besides that Hundred Kingdoms are mostly blank slate you can fill as you like. North can be vikings, Slavs, cossacks, janissaries, Inuits, North America and whatever you like. Really, any part of Creation can be anything you like.

I'm somewhat certain one of the guys writing exalted said that Medo resembles Transylvania and Mongolia.

I often hate this "natural language" thing they randomly do with charms rules. For example what exactly does "Transcendent Desert Creature" actually *do*? What does the character ignore? What does 'starvation resistant' mean? Is it like the inverse of the hungry mutation? Equivalent opposite for 2x hungry? What? And why is hungry so specific in what it can do while this is not?
To be fair some of this comes from infernal charms being more broad than solar's, the wiggle room is usually intentional if occasionally frustrating.

But yes, I believe Loom-Snarling Deception allows a character to be moderately shorter/thinner than they are for the same reason it allows you to vanish breasts or a penis. It doesn't appear to only be an illusion cast around your character. That said I also interpret the penis as being is the largest appendage you are allowed to ignore, no tails unless you can stunt in a good reason.

Snake Style allows you to temporarily blind and paralyze enemies.

I am curious why is it that Creation doesn't really have families of distant god-blooded?
Like how in D&D you've got Aasimars, Teiflings of all evils, elemental Oreads, Slyphs and so on.

Like they go out of their way to mention that.

Well, it's not likely a god would have a large dynasty, unless maybe families, sex, and childbirth are part of their jobs. Exalted just tends to use catch all *-blooded to denote someone with supernatural ancestry.

godbloods don't usually pass it on to their kids. those who do tend to eventually get watered down(dynastic incoherence) without a breeding program to keep it going(lintha)

true breeding godbloods are rare(explicitly because the writers didn't want creation to really have families of distant godbloods), but the lunar beastmen somewhat fill that niche since they're sorta half-castes

*dynastic inheritance. "ducking autocorrect"