/bgg/ - Board Game General

I never save the links so someone else is going to have to post them.

>What is your preferred amount of players for a typical game night, why?
>Where do you normally find yourself gaming these days?
>What's the most aesthetically pleasing board game you've ever seen?
>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
>Any kickstarter in particular you're looking forward to arriving?
>If a game you own contains miniatures, do you paint them?
>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?

BONUS ROUND
>/bgg/ related horror stories?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T
discord.gg/0pEgcQvEfLtih8dV
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thank god, I was about to have to make one.

Pastebin:
pastebin.com/PkAVzU3T

Veeky Forums discord channel because apparently that's a thing for some godawful reason:
discord.gg/0pEgcQvEfLtih8dV

Game night: 3-4, most games tend to be best balanced at those counts; full day of gaming: 4-8, it lets people sit out some games and chat/drink/play a filler and keeps burnout from setting in over the course of 6-8hrs.
>>Where do you normally find yourself gaming these days?
My home, or a family member's; the LGS are either toxic or just uncomfortable to hang around
>>What's the most aesthetically pleasing board game you've ever seen?
12 Realms maybe, the entire production was great, shame the base game had such big problems
>>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
Hell yes, they work for my 2yr old niece and my idiot drunk friends at the same time. Toss up between Rampage and Coconuts, both are just good silly fun.
Don't back kickstarters, but I'm kinda geeked to see how Santorini turns out when it's released this fall.
Only if the game has good minis, my copy of Field Command will forever be lame blue/red army men.
>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?
Coup

Besides my sister in law saying she got this great new game and making me sit down to play 5 rounds of Exploding Kittens? The Big Game in 2013 was kinda shit, especially watching the Mayfair people try to split up a mom and her 5-6yr old kid so no one could cheat.

>>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?

Some.
I'm not a fan of "flicking" games at all - shit's boring.

Balancing games tend to be more interesting and strategic. Polarity is fucking amazing, and I'd love to try Hamsterrolle.

>>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?

Descent.
It is -so fucking bad-

should i get the reprint of troyes? never played it before but it looks alright?

>>What is your preferred amount of players for a typical game night, why?
4-5, covers the widest breadth of games and genres in my library.
still pic related
idk, kemet's pretty high up the list
Honestly, I've got pretty limited experience with them. Would like to play Flick 'Em Up or Catacombs, though.
>>Any kickstarter in particular you're looking forward to arriving?
Mare Nostrum finally got in this week, looking forward to some plays tomorrow.
>>If a game you own contains miniatures, do you paint them?
My artistic talent is best described as catastrophically bad.
>>There's a game out there that's popular, and you'd rather eat a bullet than play it. What game is that?
Catan. Superfight. CAH. Munchkin.

>>What is your preferred amount of players for a typical game night, why?
About 3-4. It's kinda bad, because our regular group is made of 5 people, so we can't play most of the games.
Also, I really like 2-player games, mostly because there's less downtime.

At my friend's, when we meet when both of us have some free time and play some 2-player stuff.

Bora Bora, if we can't count the Internet then Tzolkin.

They are okay as long as I don't have to play them every time.

>>If a game you own contains miniatures, do you paint them?
I probably would if I have the time for that.

Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin.
There was an actual Munchkin tournament in the only FLGS I know.

Anywhere from 3-8 is usually pretty good, if we're over 5-6 players we'll usually split into two game groups.

At various player's houses.

>Are you a fan of dexterity based games? Why or why not? Which is your favorite?
Never tried any, but looks kinda interesting.

Have never backed a game on KS.

You think I'm some kind of nerd!? On a more serious note, no, never been interested in miniature painting.

Battelstar Galactica, Agricola, Eclipse.

>Mare Nostrum finally got in this week
POST PICS

>my package with Neuroshima: Convoy came in
>after the package was delayed
>after my delivery point was destroyed by a bus
>finally open the game
>counter have misaligned print

You still can read what's on the counters, but sweet space Jesus Christ on a segway, it's hilarious how everything went against me. The game is cursed, I swear.

>this is just the tutorial level!!

Which mods on tabletop simulator's workshop are recommended? Are any of the DLC ones good?

I have a group of 3-4 players who won't ever meet in irl and we can't find anything beyond secret hitler that looks decent visually on the workshop, I'd appreciate it if you could point us to a good game

Any preferences about what type of game?

I am open to anything that's high quality honestly.

3-4 players, less than 2 hours per round and a ruleset that can be taught is preferable for a start though since it will take some time to convince my friends to play longer games with steeper learning curves. I am personally new to board games as well but I have a record of autism games

This seems like the thread to ask. My friends and I went into town to hit the FLGS the other day. We usually do RPGs but keep board games around for if one of our GMs isn't prepped for their session.
We saw T.I.M.E Stories, and while it looks super cool, we were put off by the fact that once you solve a case, that's kind of it, right? It's pointless to play that case again cause you already know the answers.
Is it a worth it game? If it's really good then HAVING to buy an expansion isn't so bad, but I'd like another opinion if I can get one.

I don't know whether to ask here or in /hwg/ but I'll just try my luck here instead:

Which game is the better buy for my group, Friedrich or Maria?

I'm leaning towards Friedrich because it's four players which contains the regulars of my group pretty well, but Maria has more diplomatic things going on, which my group likes in games like Diplomacy.

I just played Caylus. Is that literally one of the meanest games designed, or am I just playing with a group of assholes? The provost mechanic was unexpectedly "take-that" in something that seemed so euro.

By the time you're done with one of the missions, no you won't ever want to play it again. Whether or not it's worth it is up to you, check out some reviews or a play through to see if it looks like something your group would be into

Provost makes or breaks a game of Caylus and players with a few games under their belts will crush newcomers because of this.
You gotta plan your strategy around its current position and control to make sure your actions don't get blocked.
It IS a ruthless game. Give it a couple more shots, you'll see the levels of strategy after a while.

No more than six, unless you want a night full of party games
Meetups, maybe my weekly roleplaying club if the GM hasn't shown up
Gemblo
I've got dyspraxia, but I don't dislike them... I'm just not surprised when Im bad at them. That said, Tok Tok Woodsman is great.
Wizard's Academy is the only one I still haven't gotten yet
Nah, I'm no good at stuff like that
Just the one? In that case, I'll go wiiiiith... Cards Against Humanity.

Nothing horrific, just the occasional That Guy who was tedious to play with

Just have everyone pitch in and pretend you're watching a film. It's about the cost of going to the movies if you get 3-4 other people in, and lasts a little longer too.
After you're done just give it away to a another group.

Played Tales of the Arabian Nights and Bohnanza with friends last night. Tales was good with the two good sport friends and flopped with the "this isn't a game because it's all random" friend and his girlfriend. I still contend they would've had fun if they read at least some of the passages. Bohnanza of course went off awesome with everyone
>Preferred player count
Whatever fits the game best. If I hear it has a lot of downtime I might ask that we play only 3 or 4 (and I am not afraid to back out if it goes to 5 and 6)
>Where do I game
Local meetup. Last night we played at my friend's place, tonight we might play at my place
>Most aesthetically pleasing
The Grizzled I bought solely for the beautiful cards. But since you specified board game, NY1901 has a beautiful board, and a beautiful everything else too
>Dexterity
I don't like speed games, and some dexterity games are too simple for me. I think flicker games are neat. I'd love to own pitchcar one day but I don't have the space for it right now
>KS
No
>Painting minis
No
>Popular game I'll never play again
Are CAH and Munchkin boring answers?
>/bgg/ horror stories
Is it bad that I just want to talk about people who make me cringe at the meetup, but I can't think
I'll never play it because I know it's not for me, but I was curious enough to watch the Dice Tower playthroughs. The first two modules are one and done...maybe you could play again in a few years because you'll have forgotten most of it and you have a new group to play with. But the Prophecy of Dragons module I think you can get a few playthroughs out of so long as you space them apart a bit. It has a lot of potential ways to build your characters and a few different paths to progress through the story. Haven't seen the Egyptian-themed one get played yet but I hear it's more like the first two

Funny you should mention him; turns out he was being a creepy dickhead to some of the married women at a meetup, and since then he hasn't been back.

Funny, that.
>if they read at least some of the passages
Oh, fucking hell...

>My artistic talent is best described as catastrophically bad.
I still feel that way about everything I paint, the wife and my friends tell me they're quite good but my perfectionist nature always makes me feel like I'm done but not "finished". The canvas map I'm working on right now almost got tossed in the garbage 10 minutes ago when the dry brushing didn't work and I had to wet blend everything back together. I think the key is to get out of your head about it; which if/when I do, turns out the entire sub-hobby is quite relaxing.

Give us pics and we will tell you if they are nice to you or is it indeed your "perfectionist nature"

Daily reminder to THIN YOUR FUCKING GODDAMNED PAINTS!!

Potato picture so the fur and gold chains look too similar but that's one of the SDE models I did back in January.

>angry marines
hi 1d4chan

How is that an issue?

For alternatives, look out for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective which has like 10 cases I think? Though I've heard one of the cases became unsolvable due to a typo (third one?). If you like Lovecraftian stuff Mythos Tales is coming out in retail this year too I think.

how do I thin paints

Depending who you ask either dip your brush into water before pulling paint off the palette and applying to the model, or mix 1:1 when you put paint out onto your palette. You want something basically the consistency of milk for most applications, washes will be thinner already and not need water added. Just make sure you're not using something so thin it leaves bubbles all over your model.

Problem with polarity is that it's only good for a few plays

You mean us?

arise from your grave

you put them on a diet

Impressive gravity defying skills

>the giant edition will never be released outside of Japan due to consumer safety laws

4-6 so we can play things other than card games and party games

friends house

hmmm, not sure. A lot of FFG games are nice

I like em, Catacombs is the best out of the ones I've tried.

Evolution: Climate

sigh, one day...

Probably Munchkin, at least with CAH you can duck out at any time.

BONUS ROUND
Thankfully I have none.

What's a good fantasy adventure style sort of game to get for 3-4 people? The only real "adventure" style game I have is mage knight, which is really much better off playing solo.

I've been looking into the third edition of runebound, as it seems to be pretty highly recommended, but was wondering if there are any solid games to pick up in this sort of category.

If you like LotR stuff there's Middle Earth Quest.

Someone sells direct from Japan on the boardgamegeek marketplace, albeit with giant shipping costs

Hey /bgg/, first time posting here

A while ago I made a thread asking for simple games for me and my friends to tackle on Tabletop Simulator. We have no experience with that stuff, so we played mostly Superfight, Cards Against Humanity, Munchkin and Secret Hitler

We got a bit tired of the usual games and I came here to ask for help, got some really good recommendations like Love Letter, Skulls and Dead of Winter, but what really cliqued with us was Mysterium: really fun to play, not too long but also not too quick and the cooperation was a blast, so I came here to ask for more help:

What other cooperation games would you guys recommend? That's a side of board games we've never really looked into (actually, board games for us are mostly uncharted territory). I'm also accepting stuff like "oh, you are new to board game so you definitely have to play this" suggestions

Also, our group ranges from 4 to 8 people, I guess this is relevant information. Thanks in advance.

If you want to try cooperative games, I suggest you start with Pandemic, it's one of the first, and still one of my favourites. Since you already like small card games like love letter and stuff, I also suggest trying Hanabi and the Grizzled.

For a twist, you may want to try one that includes the chance of a traitor, like dar moon, dead of winter or shadows of camelot. They're not my cup of tea but you may like it.

Other than that, here are some of my all time fave coops :

Legendary Encounters : Alien
Escape : curse of the temple (although I'm not sure it would play well on tabletop since there's a speed element)
Castle Panic
Eldritch Horror (that's a big one though, about 3h/game. Even I wouldn't want to play it everyday)

This is probably going to sound dumb but, which Pandemic are you recommending? Vanilla, Legacy, Contagion or The Cure?

Hanabi is a blast from the past, I actually played a ton of that with this same group on a website years ago, I'm definitely downloading that. Grizzled also looks nice.

Curse of the Temple looks a bit weird to play online, yes, kinda like One Night (it looked really fun but the setup of people closing their eyes and such is really convoluted for tabletop simulator). I'll take note of the other ones, thank you for all the recommendations

Just start with vanilla pandemic to see if you like it first. Legacy is pretty much a "campaign" mode.
The Cure is a dice game version of pandemic, I havent tried it yet.
Contagion isn't even cooperative.

WHEN CAN I GET THE FUCKING TROYES REPRINT?

What is the manliest board game?

EL JUSTO XDXDXD
ALIMONEO JAJAJAJAJA

Toc Toc Woodman

With real logs and axes

Twister

Chess boxing?

Blood rage

You have a vast amount of room for improvement.

What are some other good story focused games like Eldritch Horror?

Yup, it's the first game I ever painted, and it isn't anywhere near as good as the people who do real minis gaming, or competition painting, but each one I painted I got better. Besides it's something relaxing I can do, gaming related, when our group can't get together.

Tales of The Arabian Nights, Betrayal At The House on The Hill, Tragedy Looper

Is darts a board game?

I think it's technically /asp/'s purview

we usually have threads on /sp/ when its on.

Fair enough.

Huh... did not know that. I might lurk there next time there's a big tournament.

>Is darts a board game?

In application it's both a board game and a blood sport. Particularly when there's alcohol involved...

People what are your opinions on Heroclix other than
>Wizkids
?

Tales of Arabian Knights sounds good, I'll have to look into it.

I fucking love Higurashi/Umineko and Tragedy Looper seems like WTC: The Board Game.

How replayable are the two games?

HOW IS HEROES OF NORMANDIE ALLOWED TO BE THIS GOOD

IT'S REPLACING TABLE TOP WARGAMES FOR US NOW WHAT IN THE FUCK!?

But seriously, pretty fun game.

Anyone know if the Commonwealth is at all fun? Already got a american and german army box.

search the catalogue for /180/

I did not mean to disparage you, just to confirm your self evaluation. It is a very rewarding hobby and I wish you a most successful journey.

Yeah I tend to be harder on myself than anyone else, and most times have to just decide a project is "finished" even though I'm not 100% happy with it. I've lately taken to watching Bob Ross before I get started on anything, simply to have a soothing baritone tell me that I'm not making mistakes, just having happy little accidents.

it takes practice
a lot of practice and patience, skill will develop over time
read up, look for tutorials and color theory, practice more, mix your own colors, learn different techniques for highlighting and shading, fuck up, strip the minis, try again, invest in good quality brushes, stop before you're frustrated and start bashing yourself, it'll be enough and you'll get to apply what you learned to your next mini
godspeed, user

So, in the past week, during origins, I got the following games from the Origins math trade:
>Among the Stars: Revival
>Heroes of Normandie
>Lost Valley: Yukon Gold Rush 1896
>Space Hulk 3rd Edition
>Star Trek Fleet Captains
>Wombat Rescue
>Vault Wars

And I received a longstanding CSI preorder that included:
>Falling Sky
>Neuroshima Hex + 4x army packs
>Nations expansion

And I placed the following CSI order:
>Star Wars: Rebellion
>Dice City and expansion

And I bought the following at Origins as either ding & dent or deep discount:
>Between Two Cities
>Neanderthal
>Roll for the Galaxy expansion
>Tides of Time

And I bought wooden inserts for Millennium Blades and Roll for the Galaxy at Origins.
And I bought the last two Star Trek Fleet Captains expansions off Amazon.
And I bought an entire team of Guild Ball characters at Origins.

I should probably stop buying games for a couple years now. Although, to be fair, half the reason why I bought as much as I did is because my financial situation did a complete 180 overnight halfway through the con and I finally loosened the belt. So it's not like I'm wasting important money.

On the upside, Origins was amazing.

I'll explain myself better. I'm kinda interested in the game since a good bunch of people play it in my area. I wish you could tell me stuff about the game and is that "tactical" as it looks? I mean as a /v/ sidenote I always liked Advanced Wars and Civilization so maybe it may click with me.

Sweet chocolate Christ user, what did you give up for that math trade haul?

>strip the minis
How do you do that without damaging the plastic?

I use LA's Totally Awesome on wargamming minis which are typically made of a hard plastic. I don't know how it effects soft plastic models.

What are the Kemet minis made of, do you know? And the Scythe minis? Those are the main ones I'm interested in painting.

And as long as we're on the subject, a question for the thread: does anyone sell replacement minis for Mage Knight which aren't total fucking garbage? Love the game but I cannot believe I payed ~$50 for these fucking components.

Simple green seems to work really well for most plastics, I've heard that's the favorite for X-wing repainters. I stripped a pewter model with nail polish remover, but wouldn't recommend it as it took a small bit of the detail along with the paint and primer.

I've been salvaging minis for a...long time we'll say, so I've picked up a thing or two about doing it. Provided you live in the states, this should offer some assistance.

>Use acetone for completely metal minis. It eats everything, including plastic.

>Use super clean/purple power/an industrial degreaser for anything plastic. Works fast, and if you let it soak long enough, will eat super glue. That way you can salvage fragile plastic pieces, like tyranids from 40k.

>Totally awesome/simple green/whatever green eco stuff works, but it's just slow, and frankly is just less effective than superclean. Only reason I'd suggest using that is if superclean is too harsh on your skin. Even then, just buy some dishwashing gloves.

Since we're talking about minis, might as well post a pic of something I really really need to get around to finishing. Behold my mediocre work.

Ah shite, forgot 2 things.

>Plastic glue is not really glue as much as it is thick acetone. when people use it, it melts the pieces together. In other words no, you can't break that bond, you have to cut the piece off. Usually best to not even bother. Just strip and repaint.

>They sale a nylon head brush that people generally use to clean guns. One head is large, the other is small. Totally worth picking one of these up, the brushes dont damage anything, but they're strong enough to really get all the gunk off. Also, the small end is good for getting into nooks and crannies on a model.

I like the Commonwealth a lot, despite having a little less variety than the other two factions.
Don't get Lord Lovat's commandos though, they're getting revised for rerelease.

Nine. You can play awesome party games like Mafia de Cuba, or split into pods of 4 and 5, or 3 and 6, which allows people a lot more freedom of what to play (or more commonly, allowing people to avoid games they definitely DON'T want to play).

My place. Almost always my place.

Sometimes the pub.

Gonna have to go with Seasons, sadly enough.

Haven't really gotten to play any besides Jenga yet...

No, but I am currently waiting for $100 of XWing to show up...

I love customizing things, but I love playing games more. Since I rarely lack for fellow players, I will not buy anything that isn't pre-painted because that would seriously cut into my play time.

Easy Answer: Cards Against Humanity

Ignoring Obvious Examples Answer: War40k

i just moved into a new place. any recommendations for good shelves?

If you had asked me about it 6 years ago I would've told that Heroclix is complete garbage, but they're revamped the system quite a bit and now I think it's pretty good !

Nothing earth shattering but it's decently tactical and the powers are fun even if they go a little overboard with them these days complexity wise. Before that, the system felt incredibly static and limited, which is not something a game about superheroes beating the shit out of each other should feel like.

Not great but about level with most pre-painted minis.

Fuck third edition, get 2nd or nothing.

I gave up some decent stuff, but in the long run I think I made out.

Pixel Tactics + all expansions and promos -> Space Hulk
Fief + expansions -> Star Trek Fleet Captains
Cosmic Encounter + 1st expansion -> Heroes of Normandie
Specter Ops + promo cards -> Lost Valley: Yukon Gold Rush 1896
Chaos in the Old World -> Among the Stars: Revival
Gruff -> Wombat Rescue + 2 expansions
11 spare BattleCON promos -> Vault Wars + 4 promo cards

On the whole I think I made money, and everything I traded away I either hadn't played in 2+ years or did not like while everything I got looks interesting.

sup guys, sorry if you get this question a lot but what do you think of silver tower? asking as a warhammer fan who wants to play with other warhammer fans

how does it play?

I've actually heard some good things about it, but have not touched it myself.

>Power is out
>Buy half price Forbidden Island
>Try to get parents to play
>"I don't wanna play that, let's play Spades/poker/Uno/Sorry instead"
>Dad reluctantly plays
>Confused and barely paying attention, needs to get told everything
>"This game is too confusing, I don't want to play again"
Why do I bother with these Philistines?

Also I just spent an hour making a better version of your OP image because I haven't had computer for like four days and went overboard.

please guys

Sorry not to answer before.
thanks for your answer. I wonder how much it might cost to buy a bunch of figs to build a team and such. the only thing I don't like about the game is that it follows the same patern of booster packs/boxes and those boxes sure cost a good handful of money here.

I'm sure you can find lots of common figs on ebay... You can also play decently by just buying starter packs and "fast forces". No randomness, and they usually come with desirable characters like Iron Man, Batman & the gang.

Heroclix is a good way to get cheap minis for Pathfinder.

>Picked up HoN and Fleet Captains

You could just go for Kallax like 90% of board gamers do. Pretty good at fitting ticket to ride sized boxes. If you do I would recommend getting one of the kinda fabric 'drawer' thingy to store small box games like love letter and such.

Quick one for anyone here who's played a decent amount of Smash up. My game group has really got into this game and we play it a lot to unwind/warm-up/waste time and we have most of the expansions (only missing pretty and it's your fault). It really seems however that Swarm/Swarm strategies are very dominant and we're thinking about maybe putting in a house rule to curtail their use. So far we've just restricted any combination of zombie/robot/halfling and in addition to having a ban phase as part of the drafting it has worked well enough but is there generally a cleaner solution that anyone here knows about?

>Preferred amount
4-6, we're starting a Pandemic Legacy campaign next week so we'll be sticking to a solid 4 members for a while
>Where
Mine or a friends house, my gf who is core in my group got seriously harassed at our lgs so we never go there anymore
>Aesthetics
Cyclades is very slick, I feel like I should have a better answer but nothing springs to mind
>Dexterity
Love em, Jungle Speed is my go to party/drinking game
>Kickstarters
Never back
>Paint
Life is unfortunately too short
CAH and Munchkin, MtG I love but only play with a select few people any more because of how shit the community is in general