>original art reign
>interesting fluff
>plastic
>cool artwork
>great value starter set
>reminiscent of the good parts of classic 40k
>great product support
>no one cares

What's wrong with it? Why isn't it more popular?

Too many sci-f skirmish games already.

My big issue with it is that none of the factions presented really caught my interest, at least so far.

>infinity and?

>great models
Well when you tell lies people take offense.

Most of the models are SHIT. Also the game takes a long time to play in a age where people want games to take max 1 hour.

>SHIT

That model gives me mixed feelings. The sculpt and design are obviously competent, there's a lot of detail, but it just seems completely lacking in any character or personality. There's nothing interesting, unique or dynamic about it. It's generic military officer #347.

>Generic as fuck static posed dignitary type commander.
>Literally a dime a dozen figure from hasslefree or reaper.
Yes, and?

>le every model needs to be Epic Action Pose meme

It'd be easier to tell if these pictures weren't fucking miniscule.

>Still static as fuck.
You can just tell Priestly was never into the miniature side of the games he made and lacks knowledge about the design process behind cool models.
And that's being nice about it.

Is that all you got from these comments? Can you even read?
>There's nothing interesting, unique or dynamic about it. It's generic military officer #347.
>Generic as fuck static posed dignitary type commander.
>Literally a dime a dozen figure from hasslefree or reaper.

You're probably retarded.
That's tough man.

A failed initial launch killed a ton of enthusiasm. The models don't do anything for me, and I'm sure several others agree.

Really not a lot more to say. The Ghar outcasts have a little something going for them in a cutesy way, and if the other factions had any of that oddball charm it might be more appealing overall. I cant think of anything they could have done with the design of the human faction to make them bland and forgettable that they did not in fact do.

>Also the game takes a long time to play in a age where people want games to take max 1 hour.
I still have no idea where those people came from. If I'm going to go through the effort of getting out my models and setting up the table, I sure as fuck better be playing for at least 2 hours. At an absolute minimum prep time should never, under any circumstances, exceed a quarter of playing time.

Goddamn at some point I am going to condense everything I hate about the latest trends in game design into some sort of condensed fury book.

Does anyone have a copy of the rules for this game?

People stopped wanting to have 16+ hour tournaments?

More people have to commute so that 1 hour is really 2 and 1/2 due to travel times?

Smaller games take less time and are preferred because people want less clutter? Fewer models to paint? And a smaller investment?

Because the current age of nerds doesn't own three floor houses with one dedicated purely to miniature wargaming?

Get with the times gramps.

>great models
no

the rules are interesting, but the miniatures are mediocre at best

>the current age of nerds doesn't own three floor houses with one dedicated purely to miniature wargaming
The "previous age" of nerds didn't own that shit back in the eighties or nineties either. Or the early '00s.

Deadzone

Trying to compete directly with 40k is suicide.

Infinity is a more distinct and cooler alternative to 40k, with better models.

I really conceptually like Infinity, except I feel that half the fun of miniature games is pushing a buttload of toy men around a table
>tfw they ruined the Tik

Pretty much this. Also the dice based activation system is shit. Id rather have seen a retread of Void 1.1 if I wanted a d10 based 40k knockoff.
Honestly visually I think the whole thing feels too uninspired to get into.

The models range from god awful to just ok. Several of the factions feel completely unimportant fluff-wise (similar to Tau). Otherwise it is pretty great. That's just not enough in this market.

Models are fine, but the style is boring.
It looks like the most generic sci-fi possible.

No customisation.

To name a few
Deadzone
Maelstroms Edge
Macrocosm
The Icarus Project

>literally who

Because just like Infinity the models/aesthetics do not draw me in. They don't interest me but they also don't look generic in a way I enjoy.

For all its huge flaws as a game 40k grabbed me visually the instant I saw the models/art.

Apart from Deadzone these games must be even more obscure than GoA. I had not heard a single person mention them here, in the LGS or on any forums.

I'm just pissy that Warlord is pushing it so hard instead of releasing all the Wargames Factory kits they bought the distribution rights to.

I need my 28mm plastic ashigaru and skellingtons.

Word, the ghar kinda interested me and I think the outcasts are an improvement in being less regimented and more jury rigged.

I think warlords mistake was going with the most visually generic races early on, none of the factions do anything new or even anything old creatively, it all feels very generic/star trek-ish.

Some of the new xilos campaign stuff seems cool but overall i'd give the bulk a pass.

Its a good thing their product is so diverse, this game seems to be flopping which might kill another company given how much they have put into it.

Oh yeah, anyone else and this would have been a major disaster. But Warlord's got Bolt Action in their pocket among their many ranges.

I am worried though about the increasing number of product lines that Warlord has bought from other companies (with the promise to distribute) and done nothing with.

Maelstrom's Edge is the game DakkaDakka are making isn't it?

Some of the models look swell. Not really a fan of the Antares stuff, it's like they're ten years behind on tech in the casting room.

This, they've abandoned their own games apart from bolt action and currently are pushing GoA and project z, i've been waiting for a year and a half for those knights of malta sculpts warlord bought and never released.

I can't understand some of their design decisions though, like making one boxed set separate head when the rest of the army is fixed head or putting slotta bases on the dads army minis when the entirety of the rest of the range is using fixed bases.

It may be my own bias but I don't really see the point in the separate heads, pretty much every bolt action army i;ve seen if it uses metal minis never has more than one of a metal squad, they got it right with the luftwaffe squad nobody is going to buy multiples of that squad, should have done the same with the kriegs marine squad.

I think the problem most of the people in this thread are picking up on is the lack of souls in their cad-designed minis.

Since i'm dumping o n warlord, why the fuck would you have all of your american winter officers and observers armed with the same thing!? m1 carbines just aren't as cool as garands and thompsons

Speaking of Bolt Action, there is still Konflict 47 to look forward to. Always fun to have a bit of Weird War 2 stuff, especially since most of the army can use normal BA models.

I do need those skeletons to give my Fantasy SAGA Greeks an enemy though though, they should get a move on.

the models are some sort of generic mass effect knock off, the worst possible aesthetic for 28mm

Everything else is fine, but I really need rules to make my own army so I can use my dreamforge guys or something because I cannot stand the antares models.

Generic is not necessarily bad, people can like generic things. I would like a sci-fi skirmish game where (one of) the human faction looks sort of like this for example.

The GoA models don't do anything for me at all though.

To be fair, Achilles and a Mutilator are going for two seperate ideas. One is a ancient demi-god warrior reborn vua SCIENCE and the other is a ungodly tech abomination focused on RIP and TEAR. A good comparisonwould be Achilles and Sigvald.

On Antare's behalf, there are some good models. The new Xilo, the Ghar outcasts and their battlesuits, the C3 drop team, and sone select algoryn. They just need to get some more substance

>>great value starter set
That's fine, but the individual blisters are almost Games Workshoppian in price. That's a turnoff.
I got the Ghar starter, I'll be using them in Deadzone.

It's actually a good game, more than just a scfi bolt action. Shame they went with a kinda early 40k image for the front cover because this isn't just a 40k rip off.
It plays well and the Ghar are really good models, so are the boromites (prolly because they are proper sculpts and not CAD).

I think lots of people have requested the rules in PDF/eBook but I don't think there's one out in the wild to download yet

>great rule set made by a legend
I have seen literally no evidence of the former and the latter basically doesn't matter. the system could have been shat out by Alessio Cavatore's generic ruleset production company for all it matters.

>great models
Looks really static and uninspired. I've seen more interesting stuff going on with 15mm sci-fi infantry in recent years.

>other stuff
Basically, there's nothing immediately interesting about the game in a fairly crowded marketplace for such things. Because the 28mm Not-40k game space is now also dominated by Bolt Action, which has grabbed tons of former 40k players. Warlord is essentially competing against itself with this, but WW2 has a lot stronger imagery and fluff going for it.

And sci-fi skirmishing on that size of battle is largely eaten up by the 15mm market because whilst the miniatures for the most part are not exactly visually impressive even if they're really good for the scale, the game systems themselves have some sort of hook to them and there's all the bonuses of being cheaper and having more tablespace to work with, particularly for vehicles and other big things. Or cramming a game into an even smaller space than needed for a 28mm game.

I want to use my AT-43 armies in this game. That's all I really want.

You know Rick just writes the rules, right?

I will agree though; there is a fair bit of static poses so far. I don't need every model leaping over a wall or doing a cartwheel, but some more running guys would be nice.

Still think it's a solid game with some neat fluff and I do like a lot of the designs.

My local GS actually runs and support this stuff. Worth getting in? Or shall I just keep paiting my orks and nurgle daemons?

>Dice activation is shit
I love it. Way better than the fucking IGOUGO shit some games keep clinging to.

They just put out a new Black Powder book not that long ago, have been showing off new stuff for HC and the new prehistoric stuff.

>implying there's anything worth playing besides Infinity

Also Warzone and Afterglow if you're into post-apo.
Dropzone Commander if you want to switch scales.

What about the other warlord games? Apart from Bolt action has anyone played the others? Judge dredd sounds good and the hail caeser stuff looks quite interesting too

I feel like this thread is too much Infinity right now, but...
If you don't mind everyone else looking very manga and the occasional werewolf, Ariadna has you covered.

Seconding this. I like the Egyptian minis. They have a YUGE selection of ancient world minis.

Well look at that, Infinity models I actually like. You are right though, the general aesthetic is just not for me.

And it seems to have turned into a general sci-fi thread. People say its a crowded market but what are people even playing other than Infinity and 40k for 28mm stuff? Deadzone is picking up a bit of interest but GoA seems dead on arrival.

40k is like facebook. Some of the alternatives might be better, but persuading all my friends to switch is too much effort.

At this point if you don't already have a large audience or something that means the majority of nerds are likely to be at least interested (like having the Star Wars lisence), there isn't really much point in trying to market a new wargame in my opinion.

All I know about Hail Caesar is it has no points system (Like Age of Sigmar), and covers 3000 years: 1500BCE - 1500 CE. Also units don't take casualties, similar to Kings of War. Rather, they route when enough negative things happen to them.

in terms of minis they have a massive selection although I find the wg factory stuff isn't great and especially isn't worth the new prices.

They have a tendency to sacrifice detail to keep costs down on some of their plastic frames, and rely on metal extras for variety.

In terms of rules both p&s, HC and BP are very generic designed to be used with any collection, I recommend the add on books for your period of choice as they really help theme the games and make them feel more period appropriate.

Their ancients stuff is accurate and well sculpted but slight/smaller and closer to 25mm, this is only the former cutting edge stuff though.

Look the last time I got excited and into a sci-fi wargame was AT-43. I can only get my heart broken so many times.

DELETE THIS

Never, you will share in my despair at the loss of space 50s with power armoured gorrilas and like it damn it.

And this time they don't even have space monkeys...

We have a budding BtGoA community, but it may be related to the fact that 40k is pretty much non-existent most of the times but most people have some kind of army they can proxy to BtGoA.

AT-43 had some baller art.

There is rule 34 for it for some bizarre reason

The reasons is because it's a rule, not a suggestion.

Speaking for defunct games, guess which one with great models went OOP quite recently...

Sleep well, sweet prince.

I think there is a market for a squad-based game with a similar feeling to 40k. Skirmish is a red ocean with way too many competitors swimming around and you really can't go any bigger or even as big as 40k in 28mm.

But I really think there is space for a game that hits around the 3rd to 4th edition in model count that invokes a similar feeling. Because 40k really is all about the feeling, the feeling of building Your Dudes, the feeling of commanding a few dozen 28mm dudes, the feeling of doing something in this expansive world that somehow still has a place for YOU and YOUR ORIGINAL DONUTSTEEL IDEAS.

Thing is, no game has been able to hit the mark here. Sure, you won't blow up over night either way, but all competitors in the past 16 years pretty much concentrated on the gaming side, with various dashes of pricing or modelling. And those really are important, but what really grabs wargamers and drags them in is the world and context of the game, and Deadzone, Antares Maelstrom, Warzone and all others pretty much completely failed here.

I used to really like infinity but honestly the game is just so dense and so involved. I play miniatures games to relax and I just don't find anything about the experience of playing Infinity relaxing.

I think you are ignoring that people don't play one game and pack up, they play several. You're still playing for 2 hours or more you're just playing multiple games.

>it's like they're ten years behind on tech in the casting room

Same problem with the Judge Dredd game, the minis look like they came out 20+ years ago not 4.

I'd say more like 10-12 years ago. 20 years was 1996, those guys look more like early-mid 2000s.

>I think there is a market for a squad-based game with a similar feeling to 40k.
Man, I'd love to have a decent version of Kill Team.
Maybe something like Infinity, but less random and simpler.

Straight alternating activations are infinitely superior.

Or card based, either randomly distributed or with the extra tactical layer of assigning them from a hand.

>Plastic
Only a couple of boxes are plastic, the rest is just metal figures that don't look that great. If they released some more plastics at the quality and price point of Bolt Action figures then I would be all for it.

>No one ever mentions Dark Age
I feel that the game is intensely under rated. It has some really good designs.

You forgot Robotech RPG Tactics

You are a cruel but funny fella. KS and Palladium forgot RRPGT and it's ultimately a DOA game with thousand pieces miniature playing models

Remember Dust? Oh what could have been....

Well, it's mainly because it's shite.
Legend? My dick is a legend, so what?
I don't care gandhi, stalin and micheal jackson wrote a wargame, it doesn't make it special.
If it's crap then it's crap, no matter who wrote it.
Thinking you can just waltz in, say "hey look at me i famously wrote rogue trader!!" and expect ppl to fall at your feet?
You can fuck off.

The fluff is a bland as white rice without sauce of any kind.

The models are shit. They aren't top of the range, they aren't even goofy, not characterful, they got nothing. Nothing.

G-guys, is this a safe space to talk about Wr-wr-wrath of K-Kings?

yes shit.
check any confrontation jap-goblin. That is character and class.

now check any old school full metal warmachine warjack: it's goofy, but it's full of character.

Now look at any recent space marine terminator; it oozes power and character.

Dammit even sigmarines have something (even if it's homoerotic)

Your pic is generic dude - the miniature. With maybe a slight whiff of imperial guard.

is that supposed to be an infinity remote?
oh wait there are badly scaled ppl in/on it.
So now it looks like a grossly deformed vehicle.

Look I expect shit like this from kryomek or grendel, but they aren't pretending that their game is the new hotness.

>space slavs
>space gorillas

goddammit I never even played this game and now I miss it. That looks kickass.

If it makes you feel better, I feel the same way about starship troopers. I know your pain brother

What happened to this game? Can someone post the summary of it?

Didn't make enough money to cover its costs.

Probably because it came out well before people really started leaving 40k in droves.

WoK is fun to play, has some interesting design(even tho the lore is boring so far)and great miniatures.
Its cheap, easy to learn and has good depths and strategies.
Some models are stronger than other but so far every unit has its use.

too bad CMON is shit and even tho they keep releasing new mini they refuse to promote the game in ANY way, and most people don't know it exists.

i own a starter set because i literally fell in love with those delicious THICKKK nasier women, but the game is dead in my area. and by dea, i mean i am the only one who has it.
Pretty sad.
>I used to really like infinity but honestly the game is just so dense and so involved. I play miniatures games to relax and I just don't find anything about the experience of playing Infinity relaxing.

Thank you, I tought i was the only one.
my toughts exactly. Infinity miniatures are pretty good tho, they manage to make their shitty " weabbo sci fi"look really good in most cases. Models are dinamic and detailed.

There are maybe 2-3 models I like in the entire line up. The models arenĀ“t shit like KoW stuff but mostly boring.

Rackham fucked up by trying to compete with GW in the worst possible terms: they changed their Confrontation line from metal to pre-painted rubber, then expanded AT-43 without making proper market research and eventually created smaller games that all failed. If they had stick to their metal line, they may had something to fall back, but they lost their public and the company bankrupted. To put a final nail in the coffin, they sold their intellectual property to Cyanide, who failed to establish a proper game franchise for Confrontation. No idea to what happened to the AT-43 IP, but the nearest we have today in style is anotgher dying game, Dust. Pic related.

>What's wrong with it? Why isn't it more popular?
until 10 people in my store start collecting and regularly playing, im not risking my time and money on something I may never get to use: the hobby.

40k works because you can find a game anywhere. Everyone does not want to be that guy who blows hundreds trying to generate interest, only to have it blow up in his face and his models collect dust.

Alternating activations like AT-43, Warzone and Malifaux; yes. The IGOUGO shit 40k still clings to is fuck awful.

Well what's the difference between random card activation and order dice? Same concept.

It's a shame AT-43 had to die. Fucking loved that game. It got me back into wargaming back in 2008ish. It was fun as hell, and I loved some of the designs(fuck yeah Cogs).

Number one on my "Dead games I want to see return" list now that Warzone has come back.

Random card activation is just that, random, no selecting which unit to apply the activation to (Dead Man's Hand/Grunts option 1 style).

I prefer a dealt hand and then assigning the cards to be revealed at the start of the turn though (Gruntz second option).

But that argument can be made for any game that isn't 40k.

Ah, I see what you're getting at.

I have found from playing Bolt Action that the order dice thing works pretty well. You really have to choose who to move at the right time, and making sure you give guys orders that will benefit them for a whole turn is pretty key.

But I do like the idea of a card activation thing. Was actually thinking about that for a ruleset I was working on.

I'm the guy who is totally willing to throw some money at a game to try and get other people interested. I think some of my friends got mad because they thought I had gamer ADD or something. I just burn out if I play the same game all the time, and then I start to resent the game a bit(even if it's a good game) because I want something to mix it up.

Sadly other people seem terrified to even get demos of other games.

Don't forget that the space slaves are very slightly speciated from true humanity; and the actual lineage of Earth in this setting is Space Veeky Forums, trolling everyone by pretending to be the Necrons.

I agree with you, but for some they like that sort of style and there's even game systems out that are almost running off the "oldhammer" aesthetic such as the wasteman game. It may be a design choice to cash in on nostalgia, not that healthy for getting younger people into the game though.

>tfw I'll never have a sweet looking crusader mordheim band because the game attached to these minis died

we are actually getting konflickt 47 in a few months

It has quite taken off at my lfgs, but again AoS has been dead on arival and Warzone trumps 40k here so it's not that surprising.

Maelstrom's Edge is pretty swell. Your pic is actually of their first kit, which might actually be their worst.

The Epirians from the starter set make excellent Doomguys if given Pig Iron heads and painted green.