/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread:

>using the wrong OP pic
One job, OP, one job.

You need to decide on whether you want a new thread sooner or whether you want a repeat pic, because you can't have both. The current OP pic IS 40KRP related, so get off my lawn you lousy kids.

I'm not the user who asked for a new thread.

Then just take the "you" as meaning "you all", I guess. Whatever makes people happy.

That really depends on what you're trying to do with the character.

As for cybernetics, utility mech is good, though you could get a good-quality MIU.

>though you could get a good-quality MIU.
What can MIU do that Interface Port can't?

>Interface Port
>Common Lore, Inquiry, Tech-Use

>Good-Quality MIU
>Tech-Use, Operate, Logic, Inquiry, and Ballistic Skill tests

That was actually a fluff question rather than a crunch one. MIU and IPort do pretty much the same thing, why are they separated into two things then? And before you say it - as far as I know MIU is not wireless, so that's not applicable.

Actual crunch question - would benefits from MIU and IPort stack, if both are used at the same time?

I was thinking of the Calculus Logi Upgrade with Infused Knowledge. Basically Rank 2 for every single Scholastic Lore test seems dope.

But basically I want to make someone that can still shoot at things effectively, while functioning primarily as the all-round hacker, safe-cracker and handyman.

I guess there's no choice that would give me Ballistic Skill, Knowledge, Tech, Intelligence and Finess?

You don't need that many advances in BS, you just need to remember to aim and remember other test modifiers like range.

>I was thinking of the Calculus Logi Upgrade with Infused Knowledge
Easier to take scribe tines on one or both arms, no? Works on all lores, too.

>Works on all lores, too.
Yes, but I'd argue that it does not apply to all situations. How would having pens for hands help you when you try to dig something out of your memory, and not some planetary archive?

Besides, Caluclus Logi helps with Logic, and Infused Knowledge helps you save XP, by getting all non-Forbidden Lores, so that you can spend on what you're actually interested in/what's constantly useful. So you've got those times when GM puts some obscure lore test to use for the first time to never use it again covered. And +1 DoS may be not as good as +10 bonus to roll, but is not exactly useless either

You can forget Finesse unless you go with an assassin or desperado. And you don't even need a good BS, just get a sniper and slap on some mod or a spray weapon

Or use grenades.

>sensitive tools ideal for manipulating parchment, autoscribing, dataslate tuning, and other efforts to record and preserve information
Not just pens. If it were, the bonus would be more limited in use - like the Memorance Implant.

>It provides a +10 bonus to Trade (Loremancer) tests or other tests in social situations where the recorded information provides leverage or value.

>Not just pens. If it were, the bonus would be more limited in use - like the Memorance Implant.

Yes, I know, thank you.

Since mechadendrites have the clause stating that they're of Good quality unless otherwise noted, does that mean that they grant +5 WS when used as a melee weapon?

No, because they are not actually weapons.

>

>Break the habit of retorting like a lil bitch, mate.

Why the hostility?
I'm just too lazy to look for a reaction image.

>Anyway, they're tools for efficiently inspecting, copying, and taking notes. At the very least, you can always take notes.

Well, when/if you have notes/dataslate on hand I'd personally allow that. But not on their own.

>No, because they are not actually weapons.

Those that can be used as weapons grant it though.

>Why the hostility?
No hostility, just being frank. You'll manage it eventually.

>Well, when/if you have notes/dataslate on hand
Write them.

>No hostility, just being frank. You'll manage it eventually.

I think the problem is not on my side here.

>Write them.

Yes, that's what I'm saying.

What's the best entry-level 40k RPG and why?

Want to try and get a few people unfamiliar with either RPG's or 40k into it.

Only War because you don't need to know much about the setting to die for the emperor.

Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader.

Dark Heresy because it captures the feel of the setting the best in my opinion while not having many complicated mechanics.

Rogue Trader because it's the least grimdark, so it's the most fitting for normies.

I'd say Only War, though that's the only one I've played so far, it puts you in the shoes of an Imperial Guardsman and allows one to learn about the universe in-universe.

This too. You are given your standard equipment, then told to go die for the emperor. Plus, the book has some nice bits of lore in it as well.

>I think the problem is not on my side here.
Denial is a stage.

>Yes, that's what I'm saying.
If it were, we wouldn't be at this point. You seem to be talking about pre-written notes.

>Denial is a stage.
Right back at you.^^

>If it were, we wouldn't be at this point. You seem to be talking about pre-written notes.
Well, yes. The only way I can see how tithes can help with remembering some information that you already know, it's when they do that by picking it out from your assorted notes.
If you did not make them or do not have them, they can't do that. So when Lore skills are made when you try to recall some usefull info instead of ddigging through some existing source of information, tithes should not apply. Is what I'm saying.

Cheers, will probably go with Only War, seems like a much better real world/40k link than Rogue Trader or DH.

One advantage that OW has over all other 40k game lines is regiment creation which is at least half of what makes up a PC. Good for them to come together to make something and learn about the rules at the same time, maybe even make character concepts.

Tell us how it went later.

Have you ever seen someone write, draw, create diagrams, etc as a part of thinking through something?

Yes.

But this seems more like bonus to Logic than Lore.

Perhaps. It's not, though.

How so?

Will do, they're pretty keen on trying it out, so as soon as I get a hang of the rules we'll dive into it.

In chapter 8, page 250, under step four, read the first paragraph thoroughly and inform your players of it.

It is a rule that many do not know exists.

Wait, second paragraph.

It's better than that boring one we used last thread.

There's a great section of the Imperial Munitorum Manual with kit-related offenses and their punishments.

>xxviii. Use of anti-contaminants in production of illicit alcohol
Any soldier caught utilizing his anti-contaminant tablets in the production of illicit alcohol from engine fuel of fyceline blocks shall be forced to drink the entirety of the liquor produced. If he survives, he will be shot.

What is the rank of a Magos that controls several Forgeworlds within a sector?
Just High Magos? Is Fabricator General reserved for the Highlords of Terra?

I've been running this game for 2 years, and I didn't know that rule existed until you mentioned it. Thank you sir/madam

You're the third GM on my list who didn't.

Fabricator General is THE highest rank in the AdMech. He's the guy in charge of Mars. Fabricator Locum is what you're looking for.

"The Fabricator Locum is a title given to a high ranking techpriest within the Martian Mechanicum, who serve as ruling deputy of a Forge World, subordinate to the Fabricator General"- Lexicanum

Then why is the leader of the Mechanicus in the Gothic Sector called Fabricator General?

People don't know this? I've been playing 40k RPG's for more than half a decade and I knew that and everyone I've played with knew that.

Not many people realize it exists because it was introduced in Rogue Trader onward. Most who started with DH1 assumed they knew the rules and never noticed that addition.

Magi can take any title they want. Some do take Fabricator General, but they make sure to append "Of X Turf". Common titles include Fabricator Locum, Magos [Order], Heirophant Technis, Gnostarch, Fabricator Potentate, Vox-Omnis, Revered-Comptroller, Lord of Cohorts, Sovereign-Prelate, Bringer of Perfection, King of all Robots, and other titles.

The spray and pray rule?

Replacing one damage die with the DoS on the ballistic/weapon skill test

Ah yeah, cheers.

Fluff contradiction? Happens all the time

And then there's the Lathe Worlds which is lead by the Lord Dragon, if I recall correctly

Lords, plural.

That doesn't feel right. I will disregard it.

Woops, you're right

Which?

I thought they rule indirectly, taking on a role similar to the Inquisition in a most cases. Haven't read any of DH1e in a while though, so I'm probably wrong.

Correct, the leader is the High Fabricator of the Lathes Castellar, but the Lords Dragon are implied to hold way more power.

How does /40krpg/ feel about multiple antagonist factions in the same Only War campaign? Is there a way to pull it off without turning it into a narrative clusterfuck?

Or he's the viceroy of the Fabricator General. His will and reign come manifest somewhere slightly closer than in the Sol System?

are there rules for having a familiar(s) in dark heresy?

>Is there a way to pull it off without turning it into a narrative clusterfuck?
Each faction needs a specific overall objective in the war zone that may or may not intersect with anyone else, and they can fight each other routinely, even with PCs present. An example:
>Imperium: Maintain peace in the Balkan sector and retain control of the elder forge world New Mineris, which can still construct Imperator Titans.
>Black Legion, Fangs of Abbadon Warband: Acquire and corrupt an Imperator Titan to give to Abbadon to secure his blessings and ensure victory in the next Black Crusade.
>WAAAAAGH! Mekrippa: Construct the biggest and baddest Gargant ever, a transforming Gargant/Deff Star the size of a moon, then krump everything in sight
>Craftworld Eldar: Make sure that the Black Legion doesn't get any Imperator Titans, by any means necessary, because if they do the next Black Crusade will take out one of the Craftworlds orbiting the Eye of Terror.
>Imperial Secessionists: The Imperium has abandoned us and/or helped our ancient rival worlds! We must secede and form our own Imperium Secundus! And this will work out better than literally every other time it's been tried!

In this example, most conflicts will be with secessionists and Orks, slowly leading into the reveal of Legion and Eldar troops fighting over an invaluable Imperial resource that can be won or lost depending on the campaign. Narrative focus is achieved and you can vary it up as much as needed.

That example is pretty helpful. I was going to have my guys squaring off against the Tau at first, mainly through proxies like Kroot and secessionists. The introduction of a third party wouldn't happen until a bit further on, and because I think some of my players are fa/tg/uys I'll say no more.

Fighting over a particular resource the planet possesses hadn't actually occurred to me, honestly -- I was more approaching it along the lines of "traitors are bad, xenos are bad, exterminate these xenos-backed traitors for the Emperor because Emperor." The example you gave is good, but a lot of my players came into 40keks through vidya, and a three-way battle over a forge world that produces titans sounds an awful lot like Space Marine.

Does Veeky Forums have any suggestions for these resources? I have more than a few ideas myself, just figured I'd see if you guys were looking at things from angles I wasn't. Thanks, lads.

If you will not serve on the front page, you will serve in the firing line!

The world could simply be on a strategic Warp route, or there could be a few factors in place that add up to its overall value. In example, the world Ganf Magna in one of the OW books has a plant byproduct that has uses in void sealant, pest control, and cybernetic surgery. In addition, it's on a minor Warp route to a war front with sessionists and links to Calixis' financial hub and core.

Think of what the primary goal of your various factions are, and then give one or two secondaries. Don't be worried about using all of the secondaries, they are there to throw curves at people rather than be an itemized checklist.

Likely things: Shrine of a Saint that if it falls will have vast morale hits. It's strategic position can vary wildly. Space Port or industrial complexes of course. An agriculture pocket on a world, so command has hands tied trying to mitigate collateral damages, otherwise planetary nobles will get uppity. An Inquisitorial research/observation post that no one knows about. Hidden xenos ruins, or a crashed archaeotech space ship.

Inquisitor's Handbook

Are there rules for Necron enemies in any /40krpg/ splats? I've seen a couple of guys talking about people playing them in Rogue Trader but I assume (I almost hope) that's homebrew.

Playing Necrons is homebrew. Necron enemies are statted in Black Crusade Tome of Fate (40kRPG 2e version) and in Deathwatch The Outer Reach (1e version).

Sweet, guy in my Black Crusade group is also a player in the game i need necron stats for and he has tome of fate. Might see if i can borrow if i can't find a decent PDF. Thanks, user.

One of the basic tactics I use to weed out prospective players in my games is to ask how they feel about homebrew. If the answer is anything but "no homebrew", their character sheet goes straight into the trash.

I feel you, but it depends how you define homebrew. If there's an obvious gap in the rules -- for example, making non-lethal, unarmed hand-to-hand combat more interesting -- I've seen some guys I know come up with interesting mechanics.

Where I would draw the line is . . . well, homebrew for playing Necron Lords.

You know, I thought the same thing. Then I ended up allowing a necron pc after I got drunk one night. Turns out they can be kind of interesting, but you do need a good player behind it.

I can understand if it's an oldcron/newcron argument though.

Then again I've let a player play a slanni so maybe I'm just talking out my ass.

You are the worst kind of person.

The only homebrew I'm comfortable is some of the weapons in the megafolder, and never to start.

But for my transplanted Metallican Gunslinger I've been trying to get just right in 2e, revolvers do eventually fall off, even with specialty ammo. Those bolt revolvers in the megafolder can help mitigate that.

So I'm look at the weapon stats for Only War, and I'm a little confused.
Does the little E next to the d10 you roll for damage mean anything?

It's an energy weapon. Think it's mostly for sick crit descriptions.

That means it's doing Energy damage. Damage types are mostly just for determining which critical hit table you use.

ah
so a weapon like a grenade launcher will have some other shit next to it
cool, thanks

Funny you should mention, but a weapon like a grenade launcher won't have a damage die next to it normally because the dice and damage will vary depending on the nature of the grenades you're loading it with.

But yeah you get the gist. I get the idea that when FFG was coming up with the system, they kind of wanted to distinguish between the types of damage in more ways than just the crit tables, like having different vulnerabilities and stuff, but no, it just affects how badly you fuck something up when you proc righteous fury.

>I get the idea that when FFG was coming up with the system, they kind of wanted to distinguish between the types of damage in more ways than just the crit tables, like having different vulnerabilities and stuff, but no, it just affects how badly you fuck something up when you proc righteous fury.

FFG did not came up with the system, they took it over from GW's Black Industries. In fact, I think FFG were the ones whi tried to find use for the damage types other than crit tables, if anything.

For example in RT we get armour upgrades that work better against certain damage types, and come creatures (i.e. Avatart) base some of their immunities on the damage type.

Rogue Trader can be sumarized to normies as "think about Star trek, well you are the evil goatee universe enterprise"

Will definitely run a RT campaign after the OW one, seems like fun.

Does anyone have pics related? I'm really tempted to get it but it would be my first 40k rpg book. If you have it, what do you think of it?

Is there a preferred enemy to throw a bunch of newbies at?

Necrons.

Hordes take extra damage from Explosive

Only War, RT......?
I generally say Orks, but there is serious variation

Do you want them all to die horribly? Necrons or Orks

Do you want 1 or 2 of them to maybe survive? Cultists/Secessionists/IG, depending on what you're running

My bad then lads, I'm a normie who doesn't play the tabletop and I've not played much RT. I stand corrected. Cheers.

First thing my I had my RT fight when they hit Rank 2 was a Canoptek Tomb Stalker from the Black Crusade book. That was the day that my group realized that retreating was just a valid strategy as shooting their way through everything.

Besides Awareness and Scrutiny, what else can you use Heightened Senses with? Touch could help with bomb defusal, lock picking, and maybe even surgery.

What rule?

That's the entire point of throwing necrons at them early. Show them what kind of universe this is, character death is a thing and retreat a valid option.
It might not be the first enemy you'll want to throw them against though.

That you can exchange a single damage die, for the degrees of success of your attack.

Can you do this if you've only got one damage die? Asking on behalf of my Only War group who aren't packing heavier heat than lasguns and heavy stubbers at the moment.

Oh yes. The phrasing is most likely so that you can't replace ALL the dice from your heavy bolter on full auto fire with that godly test you got.

They were smart and went with a ship cheaper than when they could have afforded and dumped the rest into their Profit Factor and decided to use their starting free acquisitions to kit out the group in power armour and got a hold of the weapons with the highest armour pen they had proficiency for so when it came to personnel scale combat, I had to adjust the difficulty level to match their abilities.

So, when they decided to try to set up shop on a tomb world on one of the handful of systems I had rolled up, they learned the hard way that there was always a bigger fish then them and that they were still mortal.

That seems OP. At least I know another thing to houserule away.