WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

>Someone had to edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>This planet is ours, witch!
youtube.com/watch?v=7_b-qBTul44

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thecombatcompany.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Picked up that bloody loota box.

Going to turn the burnas into more looted guns so I atleast get a reasonable amount of mans out of it.

from the last thread on the topic of stolen models;
in my house I keep my minis on a shelf of a bookshelf in my loungeroom, and the owners (we're renting tenants) are selling, so they've been having open homes.

during one of the open home days one of my two commisars went missing from amongst the fifty-odd guardsmen i had sitting there
just the commisar
pocketed by some shitlord, from my own home.

also update on my nearly finished Custodes

That's fucked. I don't know how people can just take shit from someone else.

I had one of my chaos bikers stolen back in 3rd ed days. We were showing some kid how to play at the gaming club and he must have pocketed it from my casualties at the side of the table.

Get some shade into that red. It's looking aggressively flat. The swords could use a little something too. A bit flat and too shiny looking.

>not getting some shitty snapfit AoBR boys and riding across the field with a box filled with flamers

i was doing a watered-down shade on the red, it was wet when i took the pic. it's dried now, but it pooled and fucked up, so i'm going to try another wash and after that, i'll highlight it. the sword i'm going to do the detailwork in a gold.

i picked up that retributor gold paint, and it's amazing to use after trying to layer up to a consistent gold through the other paints.
size comparison of the model again for anyone interested.

Seems there's just scum in the hobby. My local redshirt tells me on average two sets of clippers disappear from the painting area each week.

Been playing since second ed man. I already have about 30 of the metal burnas.
What I don't have is lootas.

You've got to apply it really sparingly in many layers otherwise you're just hoping the surface tension and capillary action is kind to you.

He's a good termi size.

Not sold on the weird little arms on the dread looking thing.

Why isn't there a wip general op image with based Duncan as the emperor?

yeah, the bigga boy is a bit silly. I was hoping they'd be good primarch stand-ins, but theyre just lil' boys in big armour.

but for $9AUD i figured it's worth it just to paint for fun

>9 dollarydoos

Nice, are they from a particular company? I wouldn't mind having a look at what they've got.

Grabbed a ka-bu-ki steel knight to convert into an iron father during the combat company sale last week.

the mini is from Scibor miniatures, some euro-based company. that model usually goes for i think 35 euro, but my local shop is clearing them so everything is under cost. the painted one I posted i snagged two of for a dollar fifty each.
thecombatcompany.com/

haha whoops i didnt even see that you knew the site
my reading ability has gone downhill today, i'm going to bed.

heres my skaven conversion i quickly did up tonight, might run him as thanquol and boneripper... might change the angle on the ball, any ideas?

forgot pic

I had a dead pile during a game of fantasy and some guy pocketed a night goblin, because I couldn't find him anywhere after
Just one night goblin, out of like 150.
I was confused

>Why isn't there a wip general op image with based Duncan as the emperor?

Because until now, that had never occurred to me. See, I already did the one with him as Ollanius Pius; he seemed like more of a regular guardsman who, through his heroic action, should be revered as a saint.

That, and I could crop and rotate his head to fit the flag pretty well.

Oh, and of course, there's this one. Somebody with (obviously) much better editing skills than me.

someone should totally do a guard army based on that pic.

>all have goggles/sunglasses
>grey and black tiger stripe
>yellow stripe on helmet
>red bandana

also, here's Mr. totally-not-inspired-by-rambo finished.

so I'll say this for cheapo jewfag acrylic paints being used for painting miniatures:

1) light colors suck. Like green, flesh colors, beige, etc. Shitty coverage. For painting faces, I'll probably invest in some good quality flesh colors.

2) dark colors like black, brown, etc. are great. awesome coverage, but they don't water down to make great washes because when you water them down, then they start to get patchy. I'll probably also invest in a good quality black and brown ink/wash.

3) metallics are nice. Work perfect. good coverage, work for drybrushing, etc.

Overall, I'm happy. You're not gonna be winning any competitions, and I can definitely tell the difference in paint from when I was using Citadel ones years ago, but if I knew someone was just starting out and wanted to buy lots of paints, I'd totally recommend it. For a beginner who isn't going to be painting eyeballs and blood veins, they are fine, especially for army-level paint jobs.

Now, my real motivation for getting back into the hobby is Epic Armageddon. For those 6mm minis, I'll probably have to buy good paints, because the minis are so fine and small. But I might be able to use these to paint the titans and vehicles.

That reminds me a whole lot of the dad from that 70s show.

question for everyone.

Can anyone recommend any decent, no-frills 28mm skeletons that dont have any extra bits on the models? I'm thinking of doing a terrain/diorama bit, of a graveyard that's being eroded by river/flooding, and some of the graves have been washed open.

just not sure whats available in the way of really plain simple skeletons that'll work for that purpose, I've not done any modelling for donkeys' years.

So, you lost it and instantly accuse someone of theft.
Forging the Narrative even outside of the game. Good job?

Because you are too lazy to ever start the WIP thread?

ive had single bloodletters stolen on 3 seperate ocassions, i now have to proxy 1 for apoc formations.

dafuq

Any ideas for what this could proxy as with more work?

Took to bits that look like they fit and they kinda did.

Fuck me and clippers. Stuff like that could be just accidental during packing up, has happened to me many times. I've always returned them, though since who the fuck needs two?

Currently working on Asterion Moloc, Ivanus Enkomi (which are 100% super thin recasts) and a Tech Marine for my Minotaur army.
> How important are servitors to a TM?
> I'm going for the "fresh, clean, well maintained" look for this army, should my TM and scouts be the exception since they have the dirty jobs or keep them clean as well?

I think you could justify dirty on those few guys. As long as it isn't too much otherwise they will look a bit out of place.

I made the rest of the bases with the new style.

Then glued them and applied a wash to the white because it was too plain.

Now they are truly finished, back to the wave serpent.

I like these way more.

Don't forget to seal them.

Looking great man. They've come up nice.

Don't worry they already have a nice coat of satin varnish on them.

Could anyone give me feedback on how to improve the front 2 terminators? Also ideas on how i can go about the sons of medusa icon? The circle i can manage, so i only really need a guide how to easily freehand a skull

The heads need more shadow to give them definition.

Sadly though white undercoat is much easier to work from it really robs you of a lot of the nice shadow and definition. It's almost as much work to go back and add it as it is to work up to bright colours from a black base.

This is the first time I have used green stuff this way. How did I do on making a hood for my desert guardsman?

I really like it, user

Looks good, did you change the barrel as well?

Does anyone have that image showing how to paint burnt iron on a knight weapon?

Looks freakin' great, user.
Here's a similar guardsman with a GS hood I did a few months back.

Phone pic sorry guys. Still have to clean these guys up and highlight a few details. Oh and the bases. But almost done.

Commander and Medic for HoR Kill Team.

yes, lasguns are standard issue in the guard.

What do you guys think of my objective markers

Did you tell the owner about it?
>Hey, some fuck heads you had in here stole some of my shit, can you please keep an eye on the strangers you have going through my living space?

Sorry, closer picture

Looks a bit plain what with everything being brown.

>mold lines
come on m8

Markers for what? Candyland?

Slaaneshi demon world

So I think I'm done with 4 of them, Should I continue to make 6 more? Or should I make a whole platoon's worth?

Just about done with my Magos, need to touch up a few things. I'm happy with how the base turned out, my first time basing anything with more than just a coat of paint.

There's a skull in a circle on the transfer sheet for Space Marines.
Unless the new ones look different, but seeing as those are the 2nd/3rd edition termies, I figure you should have a few spares of the old transfersheets.

The icon is in black, but you could apply it and paint over it in white. You'd just have to add the spikes around the circle to finish the halo of the icon.

If you want to freehand it, just draw a circle, put a little box underneath for the upper jaw and add two smaller circles/triangles for the cheekbones on each side where the circle and the box meet.
Then just paint the eyes and the nose on top of that.

Also take a look at these guys. Damn.

Look like buttplugs so they fit perfectly

You can still see the auto gun mechanisms. You should trim those down and fill in the ejection hole if you really want lasguns.

Platoons worth. With heavy weapons.
They'll make sweet ally units.

That's a really nice conversion.
Definitely looks convincing.

If you want to avoid doing that for a cohort of conscripts or something like that you can also get 3rd party bits for desert themed armies.
i don't mean to imply you should stop converting or anything like that, just wanted to point out the option. Puppetswar also have heads like that.

When do you guys apply your transfers/decals? Before or after washes/highlights? the final thing before the model is 'finished'?

I'd just leave them with the guns as-is.

Of the gajillions of guard regiments out there, I'm sure some still use autoguns. They also look cooler. Fits with them being like desert-warriors or insurgents or whatever

Necron spectre maybe

Finally getting around to painting a second Assault Marines squad for a full Battle Company. Been putting them off for half a year now.

Dude.
These are beautiful. Nice work.

What do I do if the paint comes out of the pot too thin?

shake it

Did you shake the pot long and hard enough?

So lads, any tips for doing battle damage on white power armour?

Sponge on Rhinox Hide, paint interior of larger splotches with grey or silver.

Just finish my second carnosaur. Not too happy with the rider's shield but meh, I want to move on to something else. How did I do?

Shield looks lovely and clean, but I guess that wasn't what you were going for then?

In general looks like very nice work.

Help I keep buying Leman Russes and my backlog is ever growing

That's what I was going for, but it looks quite thick in person. The picture makes it cleaner than it actually is.

I have an ultrasonic cleaner and some Super Clean but I am worried about safety.

I've got 50 pairs of nitrile gloves and some eye protection, but the strongest acid I've got laying around is some old wine.

Has anyone stripped with super clean before? What steps would you recommend for staying safe?

I've also asked in the Warmachine general and gotten nothing, and I probably should have started here in the first place:

I'm putting together a Convergence Axiom. It's my first Colossal, and I'd like to do something special with it. Just a little conversion to set it apart from all the other Colossals that are built exactly the same way. Any ideas?
One person recommended having another faction's Warjack dead and dragging by one of the Axiom's tow cables, but I was thinking more a change to the model's actual look rather than just an extra bit of flavor.

Halp /wip/

what do you all think about a guardsmen priest based off of the Russian orthodox priests?

I am just going to put on some gloves, eye protection, and be as neat as I can.

Will post back if I get seriously injured, or not, if the injury is really serious...

Valhallan Ice Warriors regiment?

Update on my Neverborn for Malifuax.
I've gotten most of the stuff I need for a tournament at the start of July painted up now, just a few more models to so i'm pretty happy with that. I'll need to go back over a few and touch some minor stuff up but for the most part i'm pretty happy with how everything's looking so far.

no sorry, i'm the guy with the desert guard , I just wanted to kitbash a priest because I think the games workshop ones are to monk like and not catholic or orthadox priest like.

So I was thinking I could use my cadian command bits to make a priest who is holding a scroll and reading from it as a bolter and medpack hang from his back and his right hand would be a powerfist. Then to make him look priest-like I was going to make a nrck piece thing from this pic .

Thoughts?

who the fuck designed that bottle damn super clean bottle wtf the moment I pour it flows fucking awful because of the airflow, spills fucking everywhere

first time I've ever had a bottle of wine on hand as a safety precaution I'll tell you that much

Infinity Merovingian Weapon crates

and then I accidentally stab myself with a sculpting tool while I let the stripping fluid do its thing

today hasn't been a good day

I love these every time you post them. They don't like like something you would play a tournament with though, they look more like display pieces or something.

i nicked myself with my hobby blade, and in suprise I dropped the knife and it fell into my foot :(

been there done that, I feel your pain bro

>new, still low on supplies
>Only primer is black (going to go through it and buy better quality stuff than rustoleum)
>get to the mini's face
>Want to do Cadian Flesh+Agrax
>Cadian out of the pot is so thin it can't be applied directly to primer without capilary action
>works okay with a base coat first
>don't have a basecoat that doesn't make the cadian look nightmarish
Fuck

bugmans glow, then reikland fleshshade, then cadian, and if you obscure too much detail with the cadian do another thin wash of reikland

i know your point is you dont have the paints, but theyre the ones you're gonna want to get

thanks user, you got a picture of the end result of this?

Coming along well, keep it up

Clip a piece a sprue, a nice little cube, put it in the pot and shake like a madman

Why do GW paints dry so fast? I can't even paint before it's dried up. Vallejo stays liquid for ages while Citadel dries up on my brush. The only Citadel paint I like are their reds since the other citadel paints are faulty. I'm looking forward to my order of new Vallejo paints and a new set of brushes that aren't from GW. Everytime I paint with GW products there's a 50% chance the miniature will either look good or like shit.

Most of the painting is now done on the trench networks.
Now for my army of washes.
Nearing the finish line.
C&C welcome

looks like lava desu

Or rust.

I used those yellow dish washing gloves with Super Clean Concentrate and had no issues, though I did go back to those gloves well over a year later and they were kinda melty. I did have some skin contact too and had no irritation but I'm sure it's best avoided. Definitely wear eye protection with the sonic clearer so it doesn't fling droplets or some shit.

I admit I haven't bought any of the newest paints yet, but I had a different experience. I felt like the Vallejo paints dried faster.

bump

What kind of masks do you guys wear when working with resin?

Ive been using n95 masks but I was wondering if I should upgrade to a full respirator to help against glue and activator fumes as well

Are they ever going to sell these again?

Have to say, combined with the grey, volcanic looks stones, it really does look like lava.