/swg/ - Curved Saber Best Saber Edition

Post about X-Wing, Armada, FFG's Star Wars RPGs, d6, d20 (Saga), movies, shows, books, comics, vidya, lego, lore and everything else Star Wars related

Previous Thread: →

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Star Wars: Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Other Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault and the Star Wars LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZkpXpbJ1

Fantasy Flight Games Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the Star Wars RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.co.nz/#F!2R5kDTqQ!WfrDla-jvDIn05U57T9hhQ

Just What IS Canon Anyways?
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#2014_reboot
>starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png

Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/cJY5FK9T

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!156:107,0,-1,58,38,38:25:7:;162:-1,164:26:-1:;4:-1,77:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed Squadron
geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:-1,-1,136,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,58,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,58,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;62:18:5:15:M.1&sn=Three Bricks and a Knife
geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:57,-1,126,14,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:24:&sn=Three Bricks and a Knife
geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:170,126,58,-1,-1,41:-1:7:;68:22,-1:34:17:;68:22,-1:34:17:&sn=Freeze Scumbags
xwing.miniranker.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tournament just ended

>Playing Palpaces
>Play 3 freaking times against DeciVador
>Cry

Did you went there ?
Just finished this tournament with an unholy amount of DeciVador..

Given that Darkstryder is the best adventure, what's the SECOND-best?

Also, in the interests of fairness, what's the worst adventure?

So after a few crazy sessions in my my EotE campaign my players were dumped on an uncharted planet by pirates who have based themselves out of an abandoned CIS station above the planet. So, the next few sessions will be them getting off of the planet and exacting their revenge. So I'm wondering what kind of things they could find on this planet?

I've got a few ideas but there's really only one that sticks out.
>the players find a group of other stranded folk who were also dumped off on planet by the pirates
>the stranded NPCs have taken residence in an ancient, crashed Hammerhead-Class Cruiser in the middle of a forest
>to everyone's surprise, the cruiser has a functioning power core, and the bridge seems like it was being used as a home already
>hacking into and searching the one functional monitor on the bridge shows that an ARC trooper, who crashed on the planet himself, lived here during the height of the Clone Wars after a deep recon mission resulted in him being stranded on this uknown CIS controlled planet

Throughout the character's exploration of the area they'll be able to find many other logs and records left behind by the ARC trooper who apparently continued with his duties by waging a lone guerilla war against the CIS forces. The last message will reveal that the ARC trooper made his way to a cliff face where he decided to perish as he watched the sunset. If the PCs make their way there, they'll be able to retrieve the troopers armor and weapon.

Yea. I stole it from New Vegas

So is there any advice I could get on trying to execute this? Also ideas on what sort of things the ARC trooper could experience in his stay, which he'll subsequently log down for the PCs to find.

Also, any ideas on what other random crap my PCs could find on this planet would be greatly appreciated, since it will be mostly sandbox.

Did we ever get a full scan of Lead By Example, or images of it's expanded mass combat rules?

Ehhhhh... my first d20 campign had Dawn of Defiance shoved in the middle. It wasn't horrible, but we didn't realise our GM was using a module AND we were playing just as Avatar was in cinemas, which... given that we were meeting giant blue not-Mesoamericans in-game... yeah.

Oh, I think I remember that one... the one where you fought a giant assassin droid made of cortosis?

>ideas on what sort of things the ARC trooper could experience in his stay, which he'll subsequently log down for the PCs to find
What sort of biome(s), flora, and fauna can the players expect to find down there? Weird wildlife, ancient ruins, and environmental hazards are always good journal fodder.

For each of these lightsabers, what sort of force-user would wield it?

In descending order, the Jedi equivalents of Tycho, Hobbie, Wedge, and Wes.

Vader confirmed best Sith.

Nightbump

You see that's the thing. I haven't really decided on anything yet so it's all up in the air.

The desert wind howled around the hut former General Obi-Wan Kenobi called home. Sometimes he imagined he could hear the screams of the fallen in the gale. Those were the bad days. Days where he had to bundle himself up against the burning sand blown against his face and make the long, lonely trek to Achorhead with its tavern that never officially closed, even in a sandstorm like this.

Hours later, he lay slumped in his booth, barely able to keep upright as he took pulls from his third bottle of the night. The other clientele, those few who had such a strong need to forget their problems that they'd brave a Tatooine sandstorm, paid the drunken wreck in the robes of the old Jedi Order no mind. This wasn't a time for new problems, just old ones and the burning comfort of the rotgut on tap.

"We used to matter," Obi-Wan whispered to the empty air.

Nothing mattered when the dark days hit him. Not the boy, not the plan, not Yoda in his swamp. Only the cold memories of broken bonds and dead comrades were with him now. Only the knowledge that if he had been a better teacher, a better *friend*.... The thought made him take a long pull from the bottle.

"We used to matter," he repeated, though more hoarse now.

The once-proud Jedi Order dismantled and destroyed, what few survivors left scattered to the winds like grains of sand. The Republic fallen from within. Their army turned up their leaders at what should have been a moment of triumph.

Obi-Wan's grip on the bottle loosened as his body finally surrendered to the inevitable and he began to slide out of his seat into a puddle on the dirty floor. Beside him, the bottle rolled away unheeded.

"We used to matter," he mumbled again before the sweet oblivion of unconsciousness took him.

What improvements for this list, Veeky Forums?

"Chopper" — VCX-100 37
Accuracy Corrector 3
Flechette Torpedoes 2
Flechette Torpedoes 2
Tactician 2
Mercenary Copilot 2
Guidance Chips 0
Ship Total: 48
Hera Syndulla — VCX-100 40
Accuracy Corrector 3
Flechette Torpedoes 2
Flechette Torpedoes 2
Nien Nunb 1
Tactician 2
Guidance Chips 0
Ship Total: 50

This list makes me anxious.

OR you just don't buy saberforge crap

Drop the ACs, put FCS instead, it's a lot more useful with torps. With the points you have drop Nien Numb and take a Navigator. Also drop that Mercenary Copilot for something actually useful.

The only use AC would have in that build would be if you paired it up with Munitions Failsafe and used it to spend TL's to stress a target as an attack.

Then you pair it up with a Phantom and toss in an Ion Turret. So that's 1 Stress and 1 Ion Token a turn then.
Or 2 Ion Tokens if it's a big ship.

Essentially, I'm talking about something like this

Which is VERY VERY similar to a list that brutally manhandled me in the second round of my store tournement yesterday.

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel Alliance&d=v4!s!156:107,0,-1,58,38,38:25:7:;162:-1,164:26:-1:;4:-1,77:-1:20:&sn=Unnamed Squadron

that's a pretty cool

Which faction where you playing with?

Scum, I was doing Guri-Dengar. Won 2 lost 2.

You know what I've noticed about X-wing? 100% dudes. Every town has 2-3 chicks with pink Tyranids, and girl Magic players are a diamond dozen, but no women play X-wing.

Why? Girls like Star Wars, X-wing is definitely one of the least spergy wargames on the market, it seems like a no-brainer.

I didn't noticd until now, but yeah its the same in my local area. Not a single ladygirl with xwing

sadly for you that particular tournament had 8 girls on approx 60 player.

oh yeah man definitely looks like it. they have rad beards.

that is the end of the day pic of the store, not the actual tournament participants. but whatever

oh so they all bailed asap to get away from your grognardy asses? makes sense now.

No, the tournament ended 4 hours before the closing of the store that is all.
You know in Europe Girls playing tabletop isn't so incredible that we take 10000 photos of them at every moments.
But whatever amerifat, seems like you know how the story much more than those actually there.
you also don't know how to count obviously.
That photo isn't even half the participants.

Fairly new to X-wing but I was hoping some fellow fa/tg/uys could help me out with buying into interceptors. Currently I own the Slave 1, Tie Advance and 2 sets of core set tie fighters.

What would be the best way of buying interceptors? Getting a few single packs or getting the imperial aces? I'm not after anything competitive just a small interceptor group that'll hold its own.

Cheers guys

One individual booster and one Imp Aces.

Thanks for the speedy reply

teeheehee

Woah okay there matey, there was no need to go nuclear. I was making a general observation, one based off my local scene and pictures FFG posts on their own website. Yikes.

1 of each is a good start. That gets you every pilot and a good bunch of upgrades. Proxy autothrusters for now.

Has anyone gotten the chance to play with the new Tie Bombers from imperial veterans yet? How do they compare to the Tie Punisher?

"Deathfire" is fine. Kind of situational. His low PS hurts him more than you'd think.
Gamma Squad Vet is nice. The addition of the EPT goes a long way. VI boosting it to PS7 makes for a good early-round ordnance hitter and makes up for the lack of shielding.
Tomax is a fucking beast. Probably the best ace in the box. Ryad is fun but eventually she'll get outflanked by a higher PS ace and taken down. People like the idea of pairing him with Crack Shot, but for your money I think Adrenaline Rush is the better EPT to pair with him. White 5 K-turns and 2-banks make him dead killy.

> Jedi Guardian
> Jedi Scout
> Jedi Consular
> Reformed Sith

Yeah it's good for the failsafe trick but still, i don't think not doing damage is a smart play with a 2 ship list

You still get 1 with the Ion Turret. The point of a double Recon Kanan build is more to nerf attacks continually whilst slowly chipping away at your opponent anyway.

So what's the point of taking Intel Agent on a Bumpmaster? As far as I can tell it has no ability to reposition.

Barrel Roll

Jumpmasters have Barrel-Roll built in so you can use the Intel Agent to set up for it.

Doi. Thanks.

This came up in a discussion, but if star wars had been a dnd campaign, what class would Palpatine be? A cleric?
I figure Anakin would be a paladin/fallen paladin turned blackguard.

Palps is a fucking Lich with pretty much every spell in the players handbook under his belt.

Anakin is a Paladin with a catastrophically low Wis score.

Typical Jedi propaganda. In his view the Jedi were evil.

Totally a Lich

Plagueis was a Necromancer

Just because someone possesses enemies who are evil doesn't not exculde them from being evil themselves.

Man, the jedi/paladins would have to fuck up really badly not to notice a fucking Lich taking over their nation from within

I mean, it's straight up told to us throughout the prequels that the Jedi have grown arrogant, and that the dark side was also blunting their abilities. They knew something was happening, but they didn't know the exact cause until Palpatine revealed himself.

In Legends content, they actually were working on an investigation but their biggest lead got discontinued right before the Battle of Coruscant.

I do have two token girls in my local meta.

They play well.

Any recommendations for cheap options to get a S&V Firespray? The singles i've found have been pretty expensive, and that doesn't even include bases. I consider buying the most wanted kit and then selling off the ships and their pilot cards, but I'm not sure what they would sell for.

So what do you think Maarek Stele's voice would sound like?

I know he's from the Outer Rim which usually equals American but the British Imperial stereotype combined with his lower class background made me always imagine him with an East End accent.

I could totally imagine Maarek having a Scottish accent, complete with nigh-incomprehensible rants in the cockpit at rebel scum.

So, you have a Firespray model, but you need the pilot cards and bases?

That's actually really easy. A lot of people buy Most Wanted and sell off the Firespray and HWK bits. Lurk Ebay.

So my players just reached contribution rank 2 in the ISB campaign that I run.

They haven't picked a reward yet but the idea of requisitioning a ship has been tossed around.
I'd like to present them with options beyond just the standard imperial Lambda shuttle or the YT2400 that they captured their last session.

Given them a VT-49 Decimator.

I did not anticipate this being a thing, but wow, you were right. A causal search found three such kits on the first page.

The Firespray is not popular. For shits and giggles, look up Palpatine and see how few results there are and how much they want for him. Then look up the Raider and see how many "Incomplete, missing TIE Advanced and Palpatine" there are.

How could I forget the Decimator.
Thanks for the reminder that is definitely going on the list.

If you want the game to devolve into shittery, give them a Raider that was saved from the scrapyards. It's a mini star destroyer and stupidly strong/intimidating, but it's had a hole blasted through it one too many times and it barely works.

An old consular-class might be an idea, though a bit on the high-end.
Also consider a PB-950 from Suns of Fortune or, if any of them are fighter pilots, an imp gozanti

So do any of you guys ever use PDFs primarily? I have in the past when I played 40K and it worked rather well. However I just discovered my Nexus tablet that I used to do so is cracked. Any tablet recommendations that work well for PDF reading during game sessions?

This... could make things really interesting. I'll have to think about this in more detail, but I KNOW my players would jump on the idea.
I guess I could draw primarily on the Lancer class frigate, with speed 3 instead of 2, a smaller crew complement, replace the weapons etc.

I like that the consular is modular and has such a small crew complement despite being silhouette 5.
I had a look at the PB950 and wasn't sure if i should put it in the list for my players. I think I will, maybe they will like it.

None of the mare pilots, they have an Npc pilot that they really like though, so I might put him in a starfighter (just so I can blow him up).
I received some great ideas here. Thanks lads, really appreciate it.

>guess I could draw primarily on the Lancer class frigate, with speed 3 instead of 2, a smaller crew complement, replace the weapons etc.
I actually have some stats done up for the raider, if you'd like them

I'm personally kind of surprised FFG hasn't statted the Raider for something - didn't they invent it for X-Wing/Armada?

>didn't they invent it for X-Wing/Armada?
They did indeed.
We'll probably get stats eventually in an adventure or something

Happy Father's Day!

Imagine trying to get child support for a clone's warbaby

YT-2400 or Ghost?

Question for you fine folks.

Is there a program or website that will take a list and doll out numbers between 1 and 100 for them? Im trying to make a percentiled list of all the FFG species. So when I need to roll for a random encounteres species i can quickly make one, or for my players who often like completely random character generation.

What are you trying to accomplish?
If you have the list in a word processor you should be able to use it to formulate a list. Worst case scenario use excel.

Just having fun.

I have a slim little power PC laptop which doe the trick, mostly because I do a lot of typing (GM) on it and kind of need the speed/storage etc
Basically I use paper as a scratch pad for hit points and everything else is on the laptop, oh and I wrote it off via tax-refunds off for 'Work Purposes'... yes, very serious work purposes!

One of the players uses the Galaxy-Tab 3 and another one has an older one about the same size, rest of the players just sort of grog it out with paper and books though

Any X-Wing pilots think this is workable?

geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:-1,-1,136,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,58,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,58,-1,-1,-1:-1:24:;62:18:5:15:M.1&sn=Three Bricks and a Knife

In X-wing any list is workable.

However this list is not.

Nah it's alright, I don't get the reliance on Long Range Scanners though, especially with Captain Jonus. After your first volley you're going to be relying on getting distance on your opponents and I'm not convinced the bombers will be able to do that against a competent opponent with a faster ship or two to spare chasing them. To me Long Range Scanners is for delivering a major alpha strike, but you're not doing that with Flechette Torps.

I'm just not feeling it, canine.

Hmm. I was sorta hoping for a "chase the bomber formation and get punished" list. Figured Carnor would help keep some damage off them.

Maybe just keep it simpler with Soontir Fel + 3x Scimitar Squadron each with Extra Munitions, Plasma Torps, and Guidance Chips, at 98 points?

So here's (part) of my () counter:
>geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:57,-1,126,14,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:24:;49:126,-1,14,-1,-1:-1:24:&sn=Three Bricks and a Knife

This is like, the most premo alpha strike. Acquire target, fly your three guys in formation, get someone in Range 1-2, unleash hell: Both of the attacks of the Scimitar Cluster Missiles get two rerolls each, and Jonus gets some limited reroll from Predator. It's such a wollop that, if you can pull it off, it'll wipe whatever you hit right off the map.

Plus you have ~25 points to build an ace.

Hmm. If you drop Extra Munitions from Jonus, you could fit Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay in that.

Or in its current iteration, Epsilon Ace with Comm Relay and Stealth Device.
When you put it like that I can see it, but I'm not sure how successfully it'll work out.

Alternatively, I wonder if Jonus could work as part of a control list, stealing the clever use of Munitions Failsafe from geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic Empire&d=v4!s!51:170,126,58,-1,-1,41:-1:7:;68:22,-1:34:17:;68:22,-1:34:17:&sn=Freeze Scumbags

Interesting take, but if you're doing that you might as well drop Jonus for a generic (or even that new pilot "Deathfire") because those secondary rerolls are no good if you're trying to miss with those Flechettes.

Well, he doesn't give re-rolls to himself, but he does give rerolls to both ion cannons, which can fire every turn with no range restrictions...

Ah, true that.

I got a google chromebook for about the same price as a tablet, but I get the added benefit of a keyboard and can plug a mouse in too. That's what I run all my games with. Definitely splurge for the larger screen though.

Chromebro. Yeah the Toshiba 13.3" screen is the perfect gaming companion.

God I love defender double tap. Getting on someone's tail and just ion'ing them every turn while you white K-Turn back and forth is so satisfying.

Imperial Veterans isn't coming to my tiny little island for another 10 days.

How do I go on?

So how the hell do I build a list in X-wing? I could copy-paste a list easily enough, but how do people figure out what they decide to take? I'm just throwing random combinations together and seeing what sticks, and it's quite unnerving

So kinda a weird question for you guys, but I'm playing a Kel For in an upcoming game, and I need a good way to make it sound like I'm taking through their filter masks that still let's me use both my hands.

Assign roles to your fighters and build them for that purpose, picture how each ship is going to act in each turn, and look for unusual synergy.

Look for EPT's which bounce off pilot abilities, look for pilot abilities which complement each other, look for EPT's and pilot abilities which boost the power of generics.

Two hints when building your first lists from scratch:
>Create an 'alpha strike' pilot
You want to create a pilot who can throw the most red dice possible at your enemy as close to turn 1 as possible. There are many ways to do this, discovering them is part of the fun of building lists.
>Create a 'control' pilot
Once you have your 'alpha strike' create a support pilot who has the ability to 'control' enemy movement. You assert this control by forcing your enemy to become stressed or ionized, which limits their next maneuvers.

Attached is an example of an 'alpha strike' and 'control' elements in a list:
Wedge throws out 3 red dice, which is good but not great. If, however, you can get him in the right position, he reduces enemy green dice by 2, which makes his 3 dice more valuable.

When Wedge makes his alpha strike, Jan Ors uses her pilot ability to boost his attack by 1. So Wedge now throws out 4 red dice - even better with the enemy down 2 green. Note the synergy between her pilot ability causing stress, and stress triggering the EPT Wired.

Gray Squaddie has an Ion Cannon, Flechette Torpedoes, and R3-A2 - in the right range bands, this will deal 1 ion token and 1 stress to your target, or 2 stress to your target, which severely limits their movement for the next two turns.

Always aim to have your lists on 99 points. You want initiative if your best pilot has a higher PS than his, you want to give him initiative if his best pilot has a PS equal to yours.

Be warned: building the 'perfect' list will consume your life.

I picked up the 15" Asus Zenbook cheap at the time as they where changing models and its been a little trooper for about the last 5 or so years.
Small enough to go anywhere and I used it for presentations, training, carrying work stuff and the like as well, so it pretty much paid for itself after tax-back and depreciation claims.

Thanks I ended up splurging and buying a bunch of shit before really playing or looking at list or such. So like a good alpha striker would be someone like poe with r5-p9 since he's fast, rolls a lot of red and can stay in the game longer? And a good control ship is pretty much anything with ion cannons/stress bot/flechets?

Yeah that other guy's entire post is really strange.

xwing.miniranker.com/ These are the lists that are winning tournaments, and I think it gets updated somewhat frequently. You'll notice that not a lot of these lists are running ion cannons or stress stuff. You could copy one of these, or try and read them and analyze what makes them so effective. Crack shot swarms for instance, get a very very high probability of you not evading any of their hits, and it only costs 1 point. It's a guaranteed cancel for 1 of your evades and if you have a bunch of them, you can burn down something really quickly without having to rely on them not rolling well.

A good control is anything that can restrict (control) your enemies movement. I've gone for Ion/Stress because the third form of control, Bumping, is an artform unto itself. If you notice an ability which gives out ion tokens or stress, you can use that for control.

Poe can be used as an Alpha Striker, but that role is not ideal for him. Wedge is an exception thanks to his lowering the green dice. Control/Alpha Strike is the first thing you learn in X-wing, then you move on to other elements, such as Arc Dodger, Ace, Ordnance Carrier etc... In that configuration, with R5-P9 for endurance, he's more of an Ace than an Alpha Striker. An Ace is a pilot with a pilot skill of between 8 and 11, who is built to deal out steady damage throughout the entire game without dying. An Alpha Striker generally deals his big wollop of early damage, and then dies.

Attached is a pic of a Poe configured as an Alpha Striker. It's unwieldy, expensive and not that effective. You want to surge forward four in your first turn, try and get a target lock, fire those torpedoes with crack shot for maximum impact, then close and use the astromech+EI+focus to dish out some damage in a knife fight. Miranda is a much better Alpha Striker, she can throw out five dice torpedoes at Range 3, do it twice, and with a turret Upgrade (not pictured) keep pecking away at enemies even after this window of opportunity has passed.

You don't need to learn the game this way, you can jump right into full list building across all categories, but this is way a lot people learn. Once you have the knack down for flying your squads with a single Alpha Striker, his support, and a Controller, while managing each separately and getting them to fly as a single unit, then you start mixing in more advanced elements. But hey do whatever works for you. X-wing is a very forgiving game, you can randomly generate a list and still go in with a good chance of winning.

Telling someone to copy other peoples lists doesn't teach them one thing about the game, nor does it help them to adjust to new meta as it comes out.

If you want to play X-wing you need to learn the fundamentals, if all you want to do is win in stories then I suppose you can attain some facsimile of enjoyment by aping other players playing X-wing. If the latter is more your speed I guess you can copy netlists like a 40k player and hope for the best.

Are you saying there is a feature to auto allocate numbers to the list that fills up 1 to 100?