Cape Creation General and Worldbuilding

Welcome to the thread dedicated Superhero TTRPGs!

Discussion on all systems is welcome and here's our link collection for a handful of different ones
>pastebin.com/bkpp0z2t

In the previous wave of threads, we have started an outpouring of worldbuilding for a "Cape World" setting, although the flood has since calmed down so don't be afraid to ask for help with your own setting.
Some stuff has been collected into pastebins
>pastebin.com/5EyFqXgD
while the general total has been archived on suptg under assortment of tags, most reliable search is by the following:
>suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Cape
Topic starter: what's the weirdest power you ever used in a supers game? how about the weirdest setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Heroics
desustorage.org/tg/thread/47297029/#q47306942
desustorage.org/tg/thread/47297029/#47308481
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>PLORP

That's awful.
Any ability that makes that sound would be awful.

Quick question: How much thought do you put into the sound your powers make?

at least so much that i wont end up with
>PLORP

>his face when he does "DIE, VILLAIN!"

well what would you expect the sound of your arm popping off to be?

Nobody would be able to anticipate his style of unarmed combat.

carlos, dammit

I have an idea for a cape but I need some help. His name is "The Unsuprisable Man", and his power is quite simply that he is never surprised or fazed by anything and has always made contingency plans when the SHTF. What would be the best use of such a power? I'm thinking a life of crime / "betting" or stock trading, but is there a way be a good guy with this ability?

Ever heard a shoulder dislocate? It's a meaty pop, but there's a sharp quality to it.

..."KLECH"?

"CLENCH" ?

"WRENCH" ?

leader and tactics guy for a super team. not being taken back by some horrible event and be able to force purely on the mission would e a big help for any super team.
and if you want to play it for drama maybe have him at like a robot and hate the fact that nothing really excites him anymore.

Do you mean that he can predict the future, or that he's unnaturally calm under pressure? If it's the former then yeah he'd obviously be one of the strongest heroes. He'd always be a step ahead of villains, he'd never lose a fistfight (because he could dodge every blow), and he'd be rich as fuck from the stock market.

You need to set a limit though, like maybe he can only see an hour ahead.

He deserves a better name than "the unsurprisable man" as well.

so I am working on a mutant character who is secretly Cthulhu in the marvel cortex system.
I was thinking basically Emma Frost but with a healing factor instead of diamond form

his civilian Identity would be he puts on a pair of glasses and a suit and is a journalist like clark kent. no one guesses that the 30 foot tall tentacular green monster is actually mr thule the mild mannered reporter who happens to also be 30 feet tall and green

>Do you mean that he can predict the future, or that he's unnaturally calm under pressure?

More the latter, but whatever it is that happens, it "turns out" the Unsurprisable Man has already made a contingency plan covering it. Kind of like the end of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, only without timetravel shenanigans.

Searching for something worth doing would be his central motivation since as you suggest he would be crippled by ennui

so kinda like pic related?

so you mean batman

how the hell is like batman?

Idk who that is. I was picturing him more as a sauve gentleman in a smoking jacket and a perpetually bored sneer.

Batman preps for his missions,the Unsurprisable Man doesn't, he seems to just "wing it" but he's always perfectly prepared, seemingly by chance.

We rarely see batman prepare before hand, so he may as well have just winged it for all the audience knows

it's timebomb from a show called no heroics:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Heroics

wich is a show about c-list supehero rejects, and generally making cape-related jokes. it got cancelled after 1 season thou

Hey guys, I was asking in these threads a couple of weeks ago for advice on my 1920s/prohibition super hero setting and it looks like I'm finally going to get to run it in the near future!

That aside, I was wondering if you guys had ideas for setting-appropriate powers/supers.

I'll give a brief run down of the perimeters
>People with powers developed them after exposure to a German chemical weapon on the WW1 battlefield.
>The gas has an extremely high fatality rate, but there is the slimmest of chances that it will draw powers out of people
>Those who do gain powers do 'die' after exposure, however their body remains preserved and they resurrect either hours/days later
>Allies still won the first world war, however technology has advanced to an extreme rate thanks to super science, thus making the setting partially diesel-punky (and allowing techie heroes)
>In most cases, when a super is discovered it's a race between gangs and the government to see who can acquire them
>The players are all individuals who have been approached by the Government to infiltrate one of the largest Gangs in the NYC area, due to rumours they are in possession of a huge supply of said chemical gas

Any ideas/advice would be appreciated.

I see, so he creates some sort of error in the time continuum, reverse causality that always makes him ready. Pretty interesting, although I still think you need to limit it somehow or he's completely undefeatable.

simple: having contingency plans does not guarantee their success.
by wich i mean that just because you happened to bring your shark repellant bat-spray doesn't mean you are able to apply it.
this, ofc, limits the power in the sense that it is an imperfect, how you called it, "reverse causality"

former superhero whose powered up by alcohol. joined the gang to fuel himself and prevent him from being "useless", has self confidence issues and only feels like he has worth when powered up.

is it just me or are there some seriously dark undertones in that concept?

little bit, I just came up with it on the spot

Some days ago someone suggested a super-clown character concept for laughs, and I'll play it in some weeks.
My favourite idea was :
>can patrol the streets at high velocity with his monocycle

Well it works well doesn't it?
Gang murders and people living post war probably are dark enough.
Imagine your only escape from thinking about the people you killed is via booze, except now whenever you drink you're expected to do that more.

Not enough.

>Swaps criminals guns with those "BANG!" prank guns

especially when the guys a former superhero.
there are probably kids with dolls in his likeness wondering why he broke their daddy's legs

Why is there a studded condom man hero?

legion of super heroes, you get all kinds of weird looking fuckers in a star trek like setting filled with supers.
you know that actually sounds like a really cool setting in general, anyone got any ideas for such a thing?

why do I want to fuck that stump

So do we have anything definitive for Chroma Green?

most like the outfit in the pic and think it would be a neat idea for him/her to be a childhood friend of Cobalt Blue, who s/he now has a vendetta against for undecided reasons.

desustorage.org/tg/thread/47297029/#q47306942
desustorage.org/tg/thread/47297029/#47308481

So we never settled if s/he has the same powerset as Blue or anything personality wise? Other than his/her vendetta because being friends Blue Cobalt ruined her reputation so she had to work her ass to get where she is now.

I'm imagining the feel of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen; subtler powers, no skintight costumes.

I think sensory/internal powers would fit really well. No control over the fundamental forces of the universe, but maybe just the ability to
>see through walls/heat vision
>mental control over rats
>savant level skills in code cracking or marksmanship
>ability to hear radio waves

I think abilities that aren't necessarily suited toward fighting, so when you get someone with superhuman healing, it's a big fucking deal. Plus you don't get as strong a power creep and (hopefully) the players won't just treat their powers like hammers

Personally I think that having any gender for Chroma Green is extraneous, but considering we have a picture of a "male" CG, I'd go with that. Besides, it provides the idea that maybe he had a crush before he realized BC didn't swing for that team.

I'd say that he owes his position to a curt, professional attitude and a calm demeanor. He would still have enhanced strength, but not to the degree of BC, making up for it with the latest of Chroman tech. Be it exo-suits, superior firepower, or strategic advantage, he will always go for the pure tactical advantage. The disadvantage to that is that his numbers will take very large casualties ala Bittenfeld, and they may resent him for that, but they're filthy Reds what do they know?

After his near-banishment from the Blue Cobalt incident, he has the color class lines heavily embedded in his actions and mindset. This could be the result of mind-control, conditioning, or good old-fashioned peer pressure. As such, he will often underestimate BC and her "primitive" friends.

All the best powers emit an ominous low-frequency hum.

Time Warp?
"VWUMMMMMMMMMM!"

Tesla charge?
"Whumumumumummmmm!"

Gravity Manipulation?
"Bwummmmmmmmmmm"

I fucking dig this for Chroma Green.

That all sounds good to me, especially the unrequited love bit. In the thread Green was thought up in we had been wondering what personal. One other suggestion in that thread is that Green always stood up for Blue Cobalt who was in trouble a lot for being a mix between two colors, but eventually got tired of getting into trouble as well and decided "now years later with the both of them grown up she might hop a shuttle to Earth just to find her and kick her ass". And that could work too, but I do like your idea more.

>!Riddick
Has amazing night/UV vision, but daylight is too bright for them now. Wear welder's goggles/ travels through the sewers
>bloodhound
Can track anyone across the city, provided they have the scent. Obsessively clean, wine connoisseur.
>pyro
sweats an oil like gasoline/kerosene that lets them set himself on fire without being burned. Can't spontaneously combust, but can leave oil trails as a fuse and sling burning oil off his hands
>Francis
can't feel pain
>squeler/sherlock
Super observation skills. Can read body language to tell if you're lying or to make educated guesses about surroundings.
>dynamo
Body can store and channel electricity. Slowly builds up a natural charge over time(or can steal others' natural electricity, killing them)
>Ectomorph
Super metabolism; sleeps very little, if at all. Resistant to poison and illness, heals faster than normal, but needs to eat very often.

Maybe he stood up for Blue Cobalt because of his crush on her. It was more or less when she decided to ditch the Chroman Empire and head to Earth, he found he she didn't swing that way. The higher up Chromen used that to help 'rehabilitate' him to be a more suitable Chorman.

I think the idea was the greens were the warriors of the choman empire while reds were the scientists and blues were something I forget. so yeah she would have similar abilities to cobalt blue unless she's some sort of alien super

It was that Green was Officers and leaders, Blue were scientists, Red were Warriors, tons of shit man. Blue Cobalt is purple in heritage, all the strength of a Red with the demeanor and mind of a Blue.

Wait I thought green were the strategists,reds were the warriors, and blues were the scientists.

So are there any other colors ?

ROYGBIV, White, and Black I think were decided on. I don't remember what was decided for roles, but each color has a Chroma who is sort of the head of that caste.

What's left for caste stuff?

Pretty much anything really, only ones taken are Soldiers, Scientists, and Officers. Still need a true leader caste of bureaucrats or something, my vote for that goes to White.

I think whites were the manual laborers.

I think white and black should be the top two in the society.

Here's an idea

Whites are the oversers of the society. They make sure that all the cogs keep turning and orderly. They are judge,jury and the executioners.They set the status quo for the colorful empire and it's Chroma White's job to give each color/Chroma Commander a sense of direction.

The Blacks is a servant caste. Everyone in the society has some lowly Black in their home to make their dinner,entertain them or whatever menial task that that particular Chroman wants. Blacks are considered the lowest part of society, they lack a Chroma Commander and some Chromen even pity them. In reality, they serve as the secret police to the empire. Only the Chroma Commanders know their true purpose in their society.

An idea for a cosmic supers game is that the Blacks stage a c'oup against the Chroma Commanders and take the empire for themselves.

Because it vaguely resembles an anus.

I think this would work a bit, give me feedback on it.

Red=Soldiers
Orange=Law Enforcement, more intelligent than Red, less strong and agile
Yellow=Artists, source of ideas, art, and nonstandard thinking
Green=Officers, very intelligent, have a commanding presence
Blue=Scientists, very cold and calculating
Indigo=Engineers, the strengths of Yellow and Blue combined, tend to be quirky at best, downright crazy at worst
Violet=Judges, will always hold to the "Chroman Code" and are there to interpret what is "morally right"

I like that, but my idea with the White Caste was to combine Labourers and Overseers. So as to better know their constituents (blend in to avoid assassination), all governmental leaders are White Chromen. The general populace is comprised of White and Black Chromen in a large majority. This means that Jo'jon who you buy varskag meat from could really be the Supreme Leader and you wouldn't know. Same applies to Black Chromen, some are Space Spetsnaz, some are normal.

>Joining a supers game soon
>Wanted to make a super tank from ancient greece teleported to modern day due to temporal shenanigans
>Super tough, pretty damn strongs
>Just punches things and tanks everything
>Realize I just made Marvel Hercules
>DM wants me to make him an alien or other dimensional being since he wants no time travel
>Can't figure out a way to fluff him

There are other ways to travel through time that don't involve time travel. He could be frozen in ice or turned to stone by Medusa or something, then freed in modern times without aging or awareness of the time that passed.

alternately you could have him kidnapped by aliens, by the time he gets back it's the modern day.

Need some help with a character with a lot of parts. The idea is he is a ghost of a psychic dinosaur, probably a uhtaraptor. His ghost is anchored to this world by his fossil, and recently i had the idea for it to have a life and mind drain effect, to explain his human level intelligence and that he has not been aware for all 65 million years. He is quite cynical due to being born doomed, as one of the post-impact generation.
any hints on how to bring this together and clean it up?

The greatest part of this character is that his name is Arm Fall Off Boy.

give him a Wonderwoman style background?
have him be "awoken" from slumber by the greek gods in their time of greatest need?
make him an alium?
give him smallish healing powers and have him have been in a coma in a tomb until someone removed a something from his skull?

You are a member of a demigod-like race of humanoid aliens, you have been to earth before, and demonstrate knowledge of it's geography and life forms, but all your knowledge of human culture is from the Mycenaean bronze Age, as travelling for extended periods in suspended animation by FTL has relativistically "flung you into the future", and so technically you are ancient even by the long-lived standards of your people.

>Ectomorph
Super metabolism; sleeps very little, if at all. Resistant to poison and illness, heals faster than normal, but needs to eat very often.

This sounds like a shonen anime protag. I LOVE IT!

>Pyro
>alternates between being a fire fighter to save people and just setting themselves on fire and tackling people while on fire.

Okay, I know you had to have had a giggle making up that one.

We're currently a PL 8 game. Not quite Demi-God but definitely someone gifted. D-list heroes stepping up as everyone else is AWOL kinda shit. I've been juggling the ideas a few of you have been pitching but I had just found the perfectly plagiarized art to use.

Hard to deviate when you grabbed some art and based the character on it.

A race of super-beings who live under Olympus Mons on Mars and planted the seeds of Greek culture, but haven't been back to Earth since the classical era due to some Prime Directive shit and/or being too busy having thousand-year orgies.

>Mockingbird
Can perfectly replicate any sound they heard in the past hour.

>The Ghost
Leaves no trace, literally can't. Trying to find him is impossible once he has left, but his power doesn't extend to people who have seen him. In deep dept to the mob.

>Johnny Sticks
If it involves hitting a ball with a stick, he can do it. A local pool shark by day, a baseball-smacking vigilante by night.

>Tap
Sweats alcohol. A side-effect to his biology is an immunity to most poisons and diseases, but nobody cares about that. Actually hates the taste of alcohol. More an NPC than a PC.

>Coldfront
Can lower the temperature within 15 miles to 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Doesn't get that it's a superpower, thinks it's an old family curse.

Wow user, these are all fantastic I'm gonna make sure I get them into the game one way or another.
And the LOEG is definitely the kind of tone I want to catch.

The first player concept I've been given also fits quite well
>Speedster going by the nickname of 'Mach'
>A WW1 pilot that crashed his plane into a cloud of the lethal gas, when he returned from war he joined up with the police force
>Upon the death of his wife via the gang she was investigating, joins up with the scheme to undo it
He's even got a costume sorted out consisting of pilot goggles/pilot jacket

...why does this guy wear dotted condoms on his arms?

So Black and White are the epitome of Big Brother.

>the Unsurprisable Man doesn't, he seems to just "wing it" but he's always perfectly prepared, seemingly by chance.
In M&M I'd model it as having extremely high Luck control with a shitton of hero points, to reference that he "just so happens" to have prepped for a specific situation.

He's a alien with a weird biology.

Hey I had a idea for a football star who's power is to power up the people under his command, what sort of name should I give him?

Coach.

Synergy?

You're from a low tech world where you're considered a god king because you can juggle boulders and stuff. Shenanigans happen and you get abducted and taken to a strange new world full of technological wonders.

"HENCH" ?

Well, there was a character in Worm that had a somewhat similar sort of power. He could split his timeline in two so that he could effectively choose to do two different things, then choose which reality to keep, destroying the other one (or perhaps he just got visions of a reality where he went with a different decision). In any case, he retained the knowledge of both realities, so he could pretty much set off any traps he knew of, try to work out a way through by trial and error, then choose the reality where he gets through.

His major use of the power was to play the stockmarket so that he could hire some very expensive mercenaries, as well as hiring villain teams to do jobs for him.

What does Veeky Forums think of my totally original, and not at all a terrible parody/knockoff of captain america, character?

>what's the weirdest power you ever used in a supers game?
You're gonna love this: Being able to make things go viral.

My character was a largely-normal human who had a subconscious ability to make even the most mundane things wind up all over the internet, no matter how shit-tier they are. His backstory heavily implies that he is the reason Pepe infested the internet and how the Terri Schiavo drama polluted the news for weeks on end.

He became a villain known as Mass Media. His entire gimmick was that he would make small stories explode in order to have more underhanded things fall by the wayside. By bombarding the news with senseless trash, he was able to rob banks, bring down corporations, and even take down politicians without anyone finding out for days or weeks later because "DAWWWW LOOK AT DEH KITTEH!" and so on. He served as an antagonist of a supers game I co-ran and when he was beaten. The GM got the hang of making shit so I stepped down and Mass Media joined the good guys and started using his power to utterly destroy the reputations of individuals and companies who were the bad guys. It was a very simple power at a glance, but when taken to its extremes it was truly awesome.

Other than that he was just a normal 20-something videogame streamer. Since he wasn't a fighter he was more of the mission control guy, able to create or remove distractions as they were needed.

Looks good. Do you have any details or story or anything you want to share?

And depending on his character and whether or not he has any kind of "no kill policy" you may want to consider adding a spike in the middle of his shield. Make it kind of resemble that iconic helmet. I think that would look neat.

That does sound interesting. Lot of potential there.

to be honest, this was mostly about the not-so-subtle visual "pun" (or whatever you would call it), and the riff on the name Oberst is a military rank in the german army, preußen is prussia, and "der erste rächer" literally means the first avenger. although giving him the rank of oberst kinda broke it a bit, since oberst is the equivalent to colonel in murrica. it should have been hauptmann preußen instead.

>adding a spike in the middle of his shield
and deface the proud prussian flag, are you mad mein herr?

>Do you have any details or story or anything you want to share?
actually, while drawing this my mind DID go to places, like an alternate history marvel setting, where germany won WW I, and the kaiserreich is the worlds superpower where all the interesting stuff happens. Oberst Preußen is a decorated war hero from the great war (wich is the ONLY world war in this history, since with germany's victory the second one wont happen), who broke the siege of verdun allowing a huge amount of resources to be rerouted elsewhere.
And now, 100 years after the war he was reawakened from his cryogenic slumber in the "Arktische Kolonie deutscher Nation" to help fight the newly reformed communist russia.

that's all i got. sorry.

whoops, forgot to close the spoiler.... oh well...

Yeah, I tried to do a power that had never been done before and that was the only thing I could come up with and I'm quite certain that it has been done in the past.

It's Father's Day, so what role does your hero's father play ? Did he inspire them? Did he make them feel ashamed of their abilities or life choices? Or did they teach them a lesson by dying in a pool of blood for no reason at all?

heroes
>paladin
dad was a truck driver and wasn't home much.
taught paladin to appreciate the little things in life and most of his morals as well as how to fight.
shared a love of science fiction and comic books, was never as big into fantasy as his son was.
>nercocop
read him and his brother Dick Tracy comics every night before bed, until he was falsely arrested and killed in jail.

villains
>one vs one
alcoholic who pretty much let the TV raise his kid along with some cheap Chinese knockoff fighting games. barely noticed when his kid left to go join a gang.
>Dragon
never knew him and his mother could never remember a single detail about him. his grandmother called dragon the devil's child, turns out she was kind of on the money.
his dad made a deal with the devil for superpowers and tried to cheat the devil by having some magical lawyers argue his case.
didn't work out and had him self made into th devils meat suit.

speaking of dads, are their any legacy's in your setting and if they are what are the most famous ones?

I've never got the chance to do play in a cape game so I don't have any characters. So I'll just answer for Trinity.

Doc Chase is the reason why she's a hero. He taught her how to fight,how to find beauty in things that seem inhuman and how to be a good person. Chase can be a bit absent minded,may seem neglectful at times and he down right drives Trinity nuts but they love each other and their Cape World's Finest Duo.

Heroes:
>Gadfly
Dad was a cop who was killed in the line of duty, his only kid was then shuffled into a horrible foster care system and when he took up heroing thought he'd be doing his dad proud by working himself to the bone and possibly until he died.

>Gouge
Her dad was killed in a freak accident when she was a little girl, meaning that she had only her mother to fall back on, ended up working at her mom's clinic to help support her emotionally.

Villains
>Misery
Father raised him and his brother on a diet of scientific journals, motivational speeches, and historical fiction, but wasn't very close to either of them, but tried his best in the end.

Forgot to add for the heroes side
>witch
Not very good at the parenting thing, he and her mother try to make their daughters life as smooth and fun as possible with good schools, family trips to exotic locals, and buying what ever she needs. Though they're rarely home when she needs them and don't even know she was having bully problems at school. The reason their never there is due to them working with the good guy version of hydra and trying to keep her safe. So imagine their surprise when their sent to recuit the powerful witch and her summons

aww that's cute

Power Play.

Do we know anything about any of the General's parents aside from Trinity's?

There was some discussion about Baron being from a family of wizards, and Blue's parents are known to be a Blue Chroman scientist and a Red Chroman soldier, though which is which and any details on those two are unknown.

Bluie's parents have potential to be interesting since mixing colors is a no-no but I'm drawing a blank for any ideas.

Maybe they're little odd like she is? A Blue scientist dad who worked making weapons and wanted to be a gung ho soldier and a passive Red warrior mom that wanted to be a poet.