What system would you use to run a survival horror game like Silent Hill?

What system would you use to run a survival horror game like Silent Hill?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NdXCsXcs6nA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Siren
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(video_game)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably something rules lite, like this.

You can use skills, sanity, etc, and the system is easily added to

>Inb4 GURPS

Call of Cthulhu.

Dread. Haters gonna hate.

Chronicles of Darkness (nWoD 2e). I actually plan on doing a Mage game with a Silent Hill mystery going on.

Which one...? The one with Jenga?

I don't see that working, just in terms of themes.

Call of Cthulhu would work, but you'd have to much easier on the sanity points. Silent Hill fucks with you and makes you paranoid, but it doesn't completely unhinge/mindbreak you.

It does, but only if you're an NPC and fail. My way of looking at it is that the town wants to help you, but is amoral about its therapy.

Picrelated.

However you might feel about it, downpour would be a good example where you see people who have come "Full Circle" and can't leave because they refuse to learn the lessesons the town is trying to teach them and make them own up to their own fuck-ups like the amusement ride operator who kills himself because he refuses to take responsibility for the death of the children on the ride and the cowardly black dude in the radio station who won't leave without someone helping him even though he knows how to get out and the post man who was an escaped slave who killed one of the guys chasing him and refuses to own up to it.

In anycase, Chronicles/WoD in general is my recommendation for a silent hill style game.

FATAL. It does sanity damage IRL.

Do you already have a story and players lined up OP? I'd love to know what you're planning to do, particularly with matching the monsters to the fears and phobias of your players characters.

Silent Hill 4 is objectively the best game in the series

You take that back shitbag

Your taste is bad, but not the worst. Saying 5 would be unforgiveable.

Which one was that again?

It's the one where Walter Sullivan is trying to perform the 21 Sacraments and revive his "Mother" which is the room the protag Murphey lives in

He gets a brief mention in SHII when you get on the elevator and you get asked the three trivia questions, one of them mentioning Walter and the murder of the twins who are represented by the twin baby monster.

Right, the "was pretty good actually, but probably shouldn't have been Silent Hill" one.

I liked Shattered Memories, I thought it was really fun, and the fact that the combat was removed only improved the experience for me.

GURPS

GURPS Lite.

>Get a load of this skub

Don't Rest Your Head, possibly.

agreed

Like, it wasn't a horror game, and it wasn't really a survival game, so it felt out of place.

Story wise it was great though. That final scene is absolutely amazing to watch.

I'm having flash back of Silent Siren.

GURPS

>A full two-key typo

Jesus user get your shit together.

that's not PT

I haven't played Downpour, but I like Homecoming's lore and Shattered Memories would be better than 2 for me if you took out the chases, so I don't have a kneejerk "Not Team Silent!" reaction.

Also, there IS a Silent Hill homebrew for nWoD1e, though I think with the CofD core and knowledge of the Byzantine and often contradictory lore of the setting, you could probably do a decent game. My Mage city is going to have the Temenos/Primordial Dream basically pulling people into these horrible little naturally occurring Beast Chambers to "help" people get over their Guilt. I might have some Beasts and Circle of the Crone Acolytes, maybe with a few Mystery Cult mortals acting like The Order, thinking that this is the work of the Dark Mother.

Great song, though, but then again all of them are.
youtu.be/NdXCsXcs6nA

Shattered Memories was very much Horror. Though the combat wasn't *removed*, just replace with chases that are neat and tense the first few times, but eventually just get tedious and confusing as you run forever through a maze, constantly missing the right turn. I like the puzzles during the chases, but I wish they were handled better. I just realized Harry could run forever because he's already dead

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silent_Siren
>Silent Siren is a Japanese all-female band. It was formed in 2010 of amateur models for fashion magazines.[1][2]
?

What the hell is HD? I assume Hit Die, but there's no reason HD and Level would be different. I wish simple systems like this weren't based on D&D.

Brain fart. Forbidden Siren.

>it doesn't completely unhinge/mindbreak you

That's debatable.

HD is Hit Die, and it's for Monsters, not players.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren_(video_game)
?
I vaguely recall this series.

Not Cthulhu style. It's guilt that makes people like Eddie go insane, and guilt that makes Angela give in.
Which is also why I feel Silent Hill is either trying to "help" people or simply has punishments based on the way the people themselves feel. Angela feels guilt, even though she killed her abusive rapist father. But... then again, Eddie *doesn't* seem to feel all that guilty. Of course, that's just 2. In 1 Harry is pulled in sort of by accident (or maybe Alessa/Cheryl wanted him to save her? 1 is unplayable for me). In 3, Heather is getting pulled into the town by the cult, and even in The Room Walter is sort of there by accident. In Homecoming I think Alex is also not really guilty of anything, just trying to rescue his brother. It's not like he's a real soldier or anything.

Oh, now I see it. I just skimmed over the monster list. They kept mentioning it in the main rules.

bimp

All Flesh Must Be Eaten if you are running a one shot or a very short campaign.