Does anyone want to make a noble house for ASoIaF? I know I do. Roll 3d6 to determine where we start out

Does anyone want to make a noble house for ASoIaF? I know I do. Roll 3d6 to determine where we start out.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10532013
strawpoll.me/10532195
strawpoll.me/10532182
strawpoll.me/10532401
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Rolled 4, 5, 4 = 13 (3d6)

Lets do this.

Nice trips.

We're from the mountainous and hilly Westerlands. Hello, gold and power! Our liege is Lord Tywin Lannister, Lord of Casterly Rock and Warden of the West.

Roll 7d6 for our first resource.

HOT FIRE.

Rolled 5, 6, 5, 5, 1, 5, 1 = 28 (7d6)

Rolled 5, 1, 3, 6, 5, 6, 3 = 29 (7d6)

Going with the first one. 28 minus our realm penalty of 5 for this resource gives us 23 Defense. This is the resource we'll use to buy our castle.

I'm using this for the next resource: Influence. 29 plus our regional bonus of 10 gives us 39 influence.

I need a total of 5 more rolls of 7d6. Let's see those dice!

Rolled 3, 3, 5, 6, 6, 2, 6 = 31 (7d6)

Rolled 3, 1, 5, 4, 1, 3, 4 = 21 (7d6)

Dice+7d6

Rolled 3, 6, 6, 6, 3, 3, 1 = 28 (7d6)

Options field, new friend.

31 minus our regional penalty for lands comes to 26 for lands.

28 for Law minus our regional penalty gives us 23 Law.

Hopefully we do better for the next 3!

Exact same time are you parallel me?

For for the name, how does Malbrand sound?

Rolled 1, 1, 3, 2, 2, 1, 2 = 12 (7d6)

Coo.

Rolled 1, 6, 6, 4, 1, 3, 3 = 24 (7d6)

Not counting ?

Bawh Gawd

Father protect us. We have 12 minus our regional penalty of 5 for our population. That gives us 7 for Pop.

I think we're counting it, aren't we?
24+/-0 for power gives us 24 power. That's our military.

Sounds pretty good. I'll go with that as the name until a reasonable challenger appears. Then, we can put it to a vote.

Oh, shit, sorry man! I didn't notice that. That can be our last roll: Wealth. We get a massive bonus for that, so we get 41 wealth.

Rolling for resources is over. Will post summary next.

Defence: 23
Defensible, with at least one fortified town or castle. Roads and trails are present, and rivers or ports are likely.

Influence: 39
A minor house. Examples include House Clegane, House Payne, and House Karstark.

Lands: 26
A modest stretch of land or medium-size island, such as House Frey.

Law: 23
The typical level of Law throughout much of Westeros. Crime is common but not out of control.

Population: 7
Thinly populated. Tiny settlements are scattered throughout your lands.

Power: 24
A modest force of soldiers, including some trained troops.

Wealth: 41
Affluent. Your family has more funds than it needs and lives in comfort.

We definitely could have done worse! Population's pretty bad, though. At least we have money. Next step is House History. Can I get a single d6, please? Going for the first one.

Anything on a motto?

Rolled 1 (1d6)

You guys can fluff that out at any time, really. However, I usually decide that kind of thing once I have a better feel for the house's crunch and light fluff. Then, I have something to go off of. For example: It wouldn't make much sense for house Greyjoy's motto to be "Growing strong", or for Tyrell's to be "We do not sow."

We are one of the most ancient houses in Westeros, with roots in the Age of Heroes. Our house saw the invasions of the Andals, the men of the Rhoyne, the Targaryens, and we witnessed the Blackfyre rebellions and the War of the Usurper.

1d6 plus 3 for number of historical events.

Rolled 1 + 3 (1d6 + 3)

That's 4 rolls of 3d6. Let's go!

Rolled 6, 2, 1 = 9 (3d6)

Rolled 4, 5, 6 = 15 (3d6)

I DID A THING.

Motto: Silver tongued and steely handed

Aw shit Caucasian.

Motto: immovable as the rock

Rolled 6, 3, 6 = 15 (3d6)

let's have the seat be in a fortified town

That's not bad at all.

Also doesn't suck. Art saved like a puppy in a fire.

Which rock, user?

One more.

official motto
unofficial, sometimes used as an insult

Rolled 4, 3, 4 = 11 (3d6)

this could be some local age of heroes ruin, very much overgrown and impenatrable

Rolled 6, 2, 5, 5, 4, 3, 5, 5, 3, 1, 2 = 41 (11d6)

9 - Treachery. -1d6 to influence and law, but +1d6 to power.
Either you suffered the results of treachery or you were involved in committing a treacherous act. In either case, the historical event stains your family’s name. Should treachery be your first result, you gained your house by means of some dark deed, possibly betraying another lord or noble.

15 - Villain. -1d6 to law and population, but +1d6 to influence and power.
Your family produced a character of unspeakable cruelty and wickedness,
a villain whose name is still whispered with dread. Such a character
might have committed terrible crimes in his home, killed guests under
his roof, or was simply just a bad person.

Another villain. This doesn't look good for our population.

11 - Infrastructure: Choose 2 and increase each by 1d6.

To streamline things, I'll roll the d6 for the 9 and 2 15s right now, but you guys should deliberate on what you want to spend our infrastructure benefit on (Hint: Population)

>Unofficial motto
>We don't make threats.

Can we double up on population?
If not, Law, since literally everything's brought it down.

-6 to influence
-2 to law
+5 to power

-5 to law
-4 to population
+3 to influence
+5 to power

-5 to law
-3 to population
+1 to influence
+2 to power

Oh dear. That brings us to

Defence: 23
Influence: 37
Lands: 26
Law: 11
Lawlessness and banditry are a problem along the fringes of your lands.

Population: 0
Barren. No people live under your rule. (Except our household servants and soldiers, I'd guess.)

Power: 36
A trained force of soldiers, including cavalry and possibly ships. You may have the service of a banner house.
Wealth: 41

All of this can be changed by those other two rolls. I think we should do Law and Pop, but that's just me, and I don't get a vote.

We have us a regular Brady bunch from hell here. Guess Population it is.

I'd be tempted to allow it, to be honest.

I still need to see that.

boost that Pop

No.

Power and more wealth. Or power and defense.

We'll be rich defended motherfuckers who live alone in a castle, but control an extremely important pass or bridge so we extort money and influence.

Rolled 3, 3 = 6 (2d6)

Pop and law here. We need underlings to crush under our heel.

We've probably got so few subjects on account of how we're clearly evil as shit.

Why bother with pop? We could get power or influence to the next tier.

The most population we'd be able to have is barely more than a handful of small folk.

>Mal Brand
>lit. Evil Mark
A fitting name, in light of these rolls.

Because absolutely no population means absolutely no native food or production, which puts us at the mercy of trade for basic necessities. A bare minimum for self sufficiency is necessary.

Wha'? The whole thing would be that the threats are always carried out and the implication being that we don't need to make them.

He saw through my dastardly plan. Given the above rolls it seems we are going down the House Clegane route.

strawpoll.me/10532013

Obviously there are other options, but these are the ones I've seen.

No, I mean I need to see the movie, user.

If we have literally one village of small folk, the best they'll be able to do is feed themselves. We'd need to be bringing in basically all of our food as the lord anyway.

>the best they'll be able to do is feed themselves.
No, silly, the best they'll do is feed us while starving themselves. We're the bad guys, remember?

this is probably why we don't have any peasants

It looks like we're going for Pop/Law in that order.

Someone roll 2d6 to see whether or not we can count our peasantry on one hand or two.

Rolled 5, 4 = 9 (2d6)

Rolled 3, 6 = 9 (2d6)

Dice wooooo

New pop/law:

Population: 5
Thinly populated. Tiny settlements are scattered throughout your lands.

Law: 15
Same category.

Now it's time for our holdings. I'm going to figure out how we're going to do this really quickly.

So, there's only one thing that you can put into defense holdings, and that's your main household. The best we can afford is a Hall.

A hall (or keep) is usually a small, fortified building. It may or may not be surrounded by a wall, and it could have a tower, though it’s unlikely. Examples of halls include Acorn Hall, Cider Hall, and Longbow Hall. Units defending a hall gain a +4 bonus to their Defense.

Alternately, we could just get a tower, for +3 to unit defense, and some leftover. I don't think you can do anything with that aside from buy defenses, though.

Fuck it get a hall in that beeotch.

Well how about a Rich Mine with a smelter for 25 Wealth? Which gives a Hiuse Fortune Roll +3 and wealth rolls+2 with population +1? Fluff it as part of the westerlands money makers?

We can expand on a keep. It's respectable. A tower is just a tower.

>The Tower Grim.
>The Tower has sat upon the land for generations, long used to hang criminals from its lofty height. With often a bandit, cutthroat or similar bandit hanging along with a cattle theif or raper adorning its battlements. Also the home of the Malbrand Headsman.

Let's get to that when Wealth comes. I'm glad someone else has the book though. Are you using a splatbook? I don't remember smelters.

K. We have a hall/keep nao.

It's time for Influence. Influence represents your social power, your presence in your region
and throughout all of Westeros. The primary investment for Influence is in heirs, the children of the house’s head. Heirs are valuable in that they extend the will and presence of the patriarch, but they also
provide means to improving the house’s standing through deeds and marriage. Influence also establishes the highest Status attained by any member of the household. This character is always the head of the house (Lord
or Lady). Our Lord/Lady has a maximum Status of 4.

A firstborn son costs 20 influence. A secondborn son or firstborn daughter is 10 influence. Other children (not including bastards) are 5 influence. The firstborn son would have 3 status. The secondborn son or firstborn daughter would have 2 status. Others would have 1 status.

You could get:
1. A firstborn son, a secondborn son/firstborn daughter, and a third kid for 35
2. A firstborn son and a secondborn son/firstborn daughter for 30
3. A firstborn son for 20
4. A firstborn daughter for 10 (I don't think women can inherit in Westeros without people freaking out a little, but I'm not sure.)
5. No heirs (What the fuck is wrong with you?)

It's good to have influence left over if you're actually going to use the house, but since we're probably not going to use it, we can do whatever the fuck we want. Here's a strawpoll. Numbers correspond with above numbers.

strawpoll.me/10532195

Sounds metal af, but my guess is we're doing keep. Here's another strawpoll, since I'm addicted:
strawpoll.me/10532182

>yawn
A tower is what every pinch-penny bandit king owns. A keep is what a ruler builds. Which do we want to be?

Why would we live in a keep? We live in a mansion or glorious palatial estate. The tower/keep is just where our soldiers and guards live to keep the peasants down.

Nope printed the damn thing out.

Maybe in Essos, you degenerate fuck. What game are you playing?

Kings live in keeps, because that is where their strength lies.

Polls close in 5 minutes. Please cast your vote in both. After that we decide, and move on to the next resource.

But the smelter should be under improvements to the mine.

We have a hall/ keep, and a firstborn son, a secondborn son/firstborn daughter, spending 20 defense points and 30 influence points.

I'll check that out in the next lull in activity.

Next is land holdings. Let me figure it out, and I'll present it to you for voting.

Some hills and coast please?

Idea:

For the treacherous act what if the bulk of House Malbrand sided with the Queen/the Blacks in the Dance of Dragons, but when it looked as if the Queen would lose, the Malbrands turned on her, and in an act of treachery delivered the heads of some of their former companions to the king's side in hope of a pardon, which they were granted.

The House fell into in-fighting between the sons, one of whom had stayed loyal to the king, and a mini-civil war playing out in the heart of the Westerlands. Blood was spilled, brother slew brother, and stained the family legacy even further.

Problem: Malbrand is very similarly named to Marbrand, which is an existing Westerland House in the canon. Are they possibly related?

Each
Land investment is called a domain. Each domain is roughly a league (3 miles). Your domains reflect only those lands that are under your direct control and not under the control of your banners, sworn knights, and others in your service. Domains each have two components, features and terrain. A feature is something found on that land such as a town, river, woods, or coastline. A domain can have as many features as you’d like to invest. A domain without a feature is barren, being a desert, scrubland, or waste depending on the realm. Terrain specifically describes the lay of land, being mountainous, hilly, flat, or sunken. A domain must have terrain and may only have one type of terrain, even if it has elements of other terrain types.

As a Westerlands house, we can have Hills (7 land), Mountains (9 land), Plains (5 land) as our terrain, and Coast (3), Community (Variable), Grassland (1), Island (10), Road (5), Ruin (3), and/or Water (Variable) as features. We have 26 Land to spend.

Community: Hamlet for 10, Small town for 20
Water: Stream (1), River (3), Pond (5), Lake (7)

I'd like a few (2-4 anons) to put together domains for our house. We will then vote on which one we want.

Only problem I see is that our house was born of treachery in the Age of Heroes, so whatever act of treachery we have would have to come from that time period.

Hills/Mountains with a small stretch of the coast with a road leading to Casterly Rock?

Throw down a hamlet as well?

1. Total cost: 24 (Hills with road and mountains with coast or the other way around. Crazy mountainous cliffs overlooking the churning sea could be a pretty cool place for a keep)

2. Methinks it would be too expensive unless we only had one terrain: hills. That would make it: Hills, coast, road, hamlet.

3. One from me: Hills, Hamlet, Ruin, Road, Stream (Cost: 26)

Another one, pls? I know there's more people than SleepyAnon in this thread. Come on out!

Nah it was more didn't really know which one to pick so plopped both down then realized I forgot a town which would make Mountains impossible.

O. I see. So, I'm going to assume that nobody else is going to make any reccomendations, so here's another strawpoll since we've spent so much time on this one: 10532401

JUST.

strawpoll.me/10532401

I don't really know what any of these things mean, so that's why I didn't suggest anything.

Polling closes in five minutes. We need to get to our next thing soon, since I'm getting tired as fuck. Just to streamline things, I'm going to tell you now that Law and Population impact House Fortunes rolls in game. We would get -10 to HF rolls. But, yeah. Remember to vote in the polls.

So, the house is rooted in the Age of Heroes, right? So some First Men roots. Unlike the Lannisters, who derive from a folk hero known for his wits, it's likely that the Malbrands derive from a folk villain. I'm unsure what sort of etymology would lead to Latin in Westeros (isn't that High Valyrian sort of? which doesn't jive with First Men roots).

Given that it's a treacherous start, maybe the Malbrands had an ancestor who invited the prior owner of their seat to eat with them, and implied guest right, but never gave bread, and then attacked. As trite as it may be to suggest, maybe the attack was carried out with a flaming sword, making it 'an evil brand.' It's...technically not a breaking of guest right, but not the sort of thing to be proud of.

Or, rather, looking at the wiki, it just says that bread and salt is traditional, and that guest right is when you eat and drink. ANYWAY, the idea is a guest right 'loophole.' Not sure how feasible that actually is, since I'm only vaguely familiar with the setting.

So, we've got 6 miles of land: 3 miles of mountains and 3 miles of hills. A road runs through the hills and the mountains, to our hall, which overlooks a coastline, much of which is dominated by steep cliffs. However, there are some sandy shores.

UNLIMITED Power

You can spend power on Banner Houses or on soldiers.

Banner houses cost 20 power for the first house, 10 power for the second, and 5 power for each subsequent house. They are generated in much the same way as normal houses (No chance in hell I'm doing any more of these tonight.)

Each unit consists of 100 men, 20 men and horses, or 5 warships. Their cost depends on the unit type and their training. The training tiers are: green, trained, veteran, and elite. Green troops are poorly trained or young. Raiders and peasant levies are typically green. Trained troops are just that: trained soldiers. Most professional armies of major and minor houses have a lot of trained troops. Veteran troops are experienced soldiers, and have seen many fights. The Burned Men, Drogo’s riders, and Benjen Starks rangers are examples of veteran troops. Elite troops are expensive, rare, and notorious. Brave Companions, the Unsullied, and the Brotherhood without Banners are examples of Elite troops.

Once, I was in a game where we played an insanely wealthy Westerlands house. We put all of our power (20) into a banner house, and spent some of our money on elite mercenaries. I just wanted to let you know that there's more than one way to skin a cat, and you can have both banner houses and troops. However, it doesn't look like power is going to be that much of a problem.

Next up is a list of units.

Each unit has a broadly defined type, a role it plays in battle. Type describes how the unit operates and describes the abilities you can improve with the unit’s Experience. In addition, type also modifies a unit’s Discipline, increasing or reducing the Difficulty to control the unit in battle. For example, cavalry modifies Discipline by –3, so trained cavalry would have an Eas y (3) Discipline (6–3 = 3, which is Easy). After all modifications from type, the unit’s final Discipline cannot be lower than Automatic (0).

Power = Cost in addition to training cost:

Archers: +3 Power, +3 Discipline
Cavalry: +5 Power, –3 Discipline
Criminals +1 Power, +6 Discipline
Crusaders +4 Power. +0 Discipline (Careful with these, or you may end up like Cersei
Engineers +2 Power, +3 Discipline (Castle? What castle?)
Garrison +2 Power –3/+3 Discipline
Guerillas +2 Power +3 Discipline
Infantry +4 Power +0 Discipline
Mercenaries +1† +3 Discipline
Peasant Levies +0† +6 Discipline
Personal guards +6 Power –6 Discipline
Raiders +3 Power +3 Discipline
Sailors +4 Power +0 Discipline
Scouts +2 Power +3 Discipline
Support +2 Power +3 Discipline
Warships +7 Power +0Discipline

Notes on Mercenaries and levies to follow. I can put together the army if everyone else is too tired. If you don't want that, throw one together, and we can have a vote.

Uh, so, hilly and mountainous terrain suggests infantry and archers over cavalry, despite the prestige of knights. Engineers for fortifications, and some number of warships and sailors, probably.

I don't know how much things cost, though, so...

I'm a fucking idiot. Here's the costs for training types:
Green: 1
Trained: 3
Veteran: 5
Elite: 7

Mercenaries are cheap to field in terms of Power, but they cost you in Wealth. Each unit of a particular training as shown on the following chart reduces your Wealth. Thus, if you field two green units, reduce your Wealth by –2.

Prices:
Green (-1 Wealth), Trained (-3 Wealth). Veteran (-6 Wealth), Elite: (-9 Wealth)

Peasant levies are the rabble rounded up from your hamlets and towns. Each unit of Peasant Levies you field reduces your Population resource by –2.(tl;dr: You can't get these.)

What if our sigil is a white piece of paper on a brown background
to stand for shitposting

We should get 1 calivary
3 archers
3 infantry
1 personal guard
and maybe some sailors and warships?

Better a brown blotch on a white background user

Here's a little thing for you:

Trained Archers (Costs 6)
Veteran Personal Guards (Costs 11)
Trained Garrison (Costs 5)
Trained Engineers (Costs 5)
Veteran Sailors (Costs 9)

You need to add training costs, user.

Unfortunately, neither of these violate the rule of tinctures. That being said, pls no. ;_;

>Treachery, Villain, Villain, Infrastructure
>We stabbed someone in the back to earn our lands, proceeded to be a giant asshole for several generations, and then built some roads.

Okay, I'm so tired, I'm going to give you guys five minutes to decide on whether or not you want this army. After that, I'll post the info you need for Wealth, and then I'm going to go to sleep. You can fluff it all you like after that. I'm sorry I couldn't see this all the way through, but I've got to work tomorrow.

Why sailors without ships for them to go on?

More pikes, I think, whatever those would be. Archers are worthless without anything to hide behind...but then again, I don't know anything about what's typical for this system. Do sailors do anything without any ships to man?