Fluff for the Fluffless: Marines Continued

>Last thread

There's a lot of "Veeky Forums rolls up a Space Marine Chapter" threads that pop up, and while they're fun, there's a shit ton of Chapters that have next to no fluff already in the canon. So I thought it might be fun to fluff some of these chapters out. Its a good place to kick around those half-baked ideas you've had for a chapter, or if you want to come up with something new. Hell, you could even use the tables to quickly get some ground fluff out if you want. A good number of these Chapters are literally just a name with nothing attached, so there's plenty of room for creativity!

Here's all of the chapters flesh out so far (at some point):
1d4chan.org/wiki/Expanded_Minor_Chapters

Other urls found in this thread:

bolterandchainsword.com/topic/309546-index-astartes-successor-chapters-gallery/
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47647866/#p47662870
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47812125/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The level of fluff may very, but there are roughly 193 chapters with minimal lore, including the ones already fleshed out.

Chapters already written about are:
>Auric Patricians
>Brotherhood of a Thousand
>Pentients
>Knights of Eternity
>Dictators
>Widowmakers
>Halo Brethren
>Death Knights
>Persectutors of Darkness
>Red Wolves
>Emperor's spears
>Destroyers
>Silver Eagles
>Angels of Damnation
>Guardians of Celeres
>Dragon Lords
>Halo Dragons
>Omega Marines
>Black Guard
>Inductors

A list of paint schemes can be found here:
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/309546-index-astartes-successor-chapters-gallery/

Why are chapters listed on the wiki page but have no fluff?

>thread one
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47647866/#p47662870

>Thread two
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/47812125/

Because I'm working on it! A lot of these are multiple posts and need to be reworking into a coherent thing. I'm trying!

Actually, I would appreciate some help, if at all possible

Still no Sanguine shields on that list. Would love to have feedback from people on that still. And if the guy from the other thread sees this, sorry I didn't get back to you last thread but I can tell you what I think of your points that you made if you still care.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is fluff? Just like backstory or details to make something sound cool?

Bit of both, which is still better than just having a name and color scheme (or in some cases, just a name).

Shit, me mal.

>Unfinished Veeky Forums homebrew chapters are also accepted:

>Sanguine Shields
>Death Consuls
>Golden Spectres

I'll continue the celebrants as soon as I finish watching GoT

Oh shit, I forgot about that because of the game

OK back now.

Gonna get to work on the celebrants now, up shortly

Rolled 19 (1d23)

rolling for which chapter I draw next

>red wolves
Coming right up!

>
cont.

The Celebrants themselves seemed woefully ignorant of their curse, seemingly seeing no correlation between their former conquests and the fields retaken or destroyed by the enemies of man. The Chapter remained as Proud and Gregarious as ever. It was not until their own planet came under siege that things became more clear to the Celebrants.

Shortly after a rcent victory, the entiire Chapter was present upon Ekklisia for a parade and grand celebration of their triumphs once more. It was during this celebration the Dark Eldar struck. A massive Raider fleet descended onto the world, apparently unaware of its status as an Astartes homeworld. The war that errupted was fierce and cruel as the Celebrants fought bravely for their home and the Dark Eldar sought to take it. Luckily, with the help of the populace and their unnerring resolve, the Celebrants won out, forcing the cruel Xenos back into the webway.Although over a third of the Chapter had perished they lived to fight another day.

A mere few years later they were called once more, in full force to a new battlezone, leaving their world to rebuild. They would return to ash.

Whilst away, fighting against the Tyranid menace, a Necron Tomb world awoke within their home system. Seeking to re-connect with their dynasty, the Necrons blazed a path through the system, and turned all life on Ekklisia to not but ash

Death eagles should be a Glam rock inspired chapter.

Like loyal noise marines? Or just stylistically?

Will work on more celebrants and others tomorrow.

Coomments annd critiques are welcome

I'm hitting the hay, too. Hopefully this is still up

I like yous guys. Enjoy a refreshing bump.

Thanks man

Any progress on the wiki?

why only marines? what about all the warbands, regiments and klans that get rolled up all the time?

I've added the last chapter I worked on (Red Legion) to the wiki.

That's why it's marines edition. I was gonna do guard next, but I don't know if there's much interest. Chaos Marines are welcome, I'd love to see fluff for the punishers

I feel like Chaos Space Marines would be priority, since there's a ton of Warbands that have, at most, a name and a color scheme. Maybe even a single event they've participated in.

Most Guard regiment worlds have at least a sentence of lore to their name. Same with Eldar Craftworlds.

Thanks man! I'll try to keep chipping away

Chaos seems good to me, no reason why we can't work on it also

Hey OP, do you have a link to a saved version of the first thread by any chance? I'm the user who made the Dictators, Death Knights, and Marines Errantor.

The Tributors are a Blood Angels successor chapter native to the world of Qalaw, a dark industrial world choking under a constant layer of smog. Qalaw is not the original homeworld of the chapter, their previous one having been rendered unusable. The Tributors recruit from the tireless workers of Qalaw, young men used to living in utterly horrific conditions.

The relationship between the Tributors and the people of Qalaw is a complicated one, a mixture of fear, devotion and resolution. The Tributors frequently take an unfair amount of tithe from the planet to support their campaigns across the galaxy. In turn, they bring war prisoners to Qalaw to refill the ever-depleting scores of laborers which dig into the planet crust in search of rare and exotic (and often lethal) materials.

In terms of organization the Tributors are mostly identical to their Blood Angels ancestors. What set them apart from them, however, is mentality, demeanor and combat tactics: recruiting from Qalaw has left its mark on the Tributors who are rather dour and stubborn by the standards of their lineage. Likewise, they shun the more ornate and aesthetically-pleasing armors and banners of their brethren to which they see little use. Due to the cramped nature of their homeworld (which is nothing but toxic slums, factories and deep underground tunnels) they make far less use of jet packs than their fellow Blood Angels descendants.

Deathwatch
Tributors characters are created using the rules for Blood Angels given in the Deathwatch Core Rulebook with the following modifications:

Bonus Talent: Iron Jaw, Resistance (Poison), Rival (Blood Angels and Successors).
Restrictions: Fellowship advances cost twice the normal Experience Points to Tributors characters.

Right here

Please tell me if you think these would be good names for SM legions.

Golden Flames
Imperial Griffons
Emerald Legion

Emerald Legion sounds the best, IMO
The others sound generic

Dragon Lords are up and have been expanded from their really tiny entry in the last thread.

I just wanted something with griffons in it.

There's these guys, the Knights of Gryphonne or something

I'm the user working on the celebrants. Traveling most of today but will expand further when I can. Probably do 2 or 3 more about them and then move on.

I was thinking about maybe doing the Night watch, but I'd prefer to ask the thread

After Celebrants what chapter would you like to see be given a lore start?

How about "Griffon Knights"?

I can try to rework the Auric Patrician, which have an entry on the wiki but is written in a completely different style with only loose ideas. Are people okay with that?

Yes, please do. I was actually gonna bring that up

Okay just give me a bit, I'll do it, I just have some crap to handle IRL first.

Auric Patricians have been updated and now have a small blurb about how to play them in Deathwatch. Likewise, the Dragon Lords and Tributors also have rules now.

I'm going to tackle the red wolves since I'm drawing them, if that's cool with you

I've made this pic for the Marine Errantor, based on their description.

Works for me. They just need an emblem. How about a a sword in front of a falling star?

"Their chapter heraldry is that of a Staff with an orb at the top, as to say that it's their burden to lead the quest for knowledge, sacrificing any attempt at appearances and ritual to do so. " says the wiki (and the user who worked on them) so if anyone feel like photoshopping that pic to add that be my guest.

So, anyone else still working on that?

On what

This stuff in this thread in general!

I plan on doing some rolls and fluffing the Astral Hawks. I love their color scheme too much not to do anything with them.

Oh yeah, I'm just busy trying to figure out how to draw a helmet. I'll get back to it in a bit

Oh, I should add that I'm not doing it right now because I'm at work. Will get started in two or three hours.

Same here. This'll pick up later once everyone's free

The Nemesis Space Marine Chapter are a Fleet-Based Second Founding chapter descended from the Ultramarines. They are not found in the Apocrypha of Davio and they have taken part in the Orphean War. The Nemesis Chapter is a fairly codex-compliant Ultramarine sucessor known for its relatively small size and extensive experience fighting all sort of xeno abominations. Since the apperance of the Tyranids in the galaxy and since the Battle for Macragge they have undertaken several crusades in an effort to hunt down and eliminate splinter fleets in order to weaken the Tyranid invasion and reduce the chances of a tendril growing to full hive fleet size. Heavy casualties have been taken to several companies when doing so but the Nemesis continue on their quest, undaunted.

Nemesis send a sizeable part of their chapter veterans to the Deathwatch in order to combat the Tyranid menace.

Deathwatch:
Nemesis characters are created using the rules for Codex Successor Chapters given in the Deathwatch Honour the Chapter Rulebook with the following modifications:

+5 Toughness, +5 Willpower

Bonus Talent: Hatred (Tyranid)

Demeanor: Use the Favored of the Deathwatch Demeanor as given for the Crimson Fist for their Chapter Demeanor.

I added some on to the Red Wolves

>The Red Wolves are chapter of Raven Guard successors founded in the 40th Millennium, hailing from the world of Waelas, a Feral World infested by various beasts.
>Only the dense, dark forests of Waelas are safe from these predators, and it is here the various tribes make their homes. Children are taught to run into the forest when in danger, and to lose their pursuers in the undergrowth.
>From the age of 10, every child is given a longbow made from trees within - it links them to their homes. The Red Wolves use a technologically improved version of this very same bow type in combat.
>The Red Wolves prefer to fight on worlds with dense vegetation, ambushing and making raids on their enemies before striking the killing blow
>They're particularly found of hunting Tau and Kroot that occupy nearby systems. They circumvent the Tau's ranged capabilities by stalking in the under brush. Thanks to their exploits and mystery, they've become something of a legend in the Xenos cadre.
>The members of the chapter become the pride of the tribe they hailed from. To fully represent their home, they incorporate their ancestral heraldry unto their armor. Every 50 years they're allowed to return home for a planet wide celebration of a particularly large battle against feral Ork tribes that once inherited the planet

I assume they share the gene-seed deficiencies of the Raven Guard?

Shit, I forgot about that. Maybe instead of their hair growing darker, it gets red-er?

Rolled 6, 1, 2, 6, 4, 10, 4, 7 = 40 (8d10)

Carrying out my promise and doing some rolls for the Astral Hawks. Gonna start with the d10s.

>Why was the chapter founded
>Gene-seed purity
>Chapter demeanor
>Flaw
>Rule of Homeworld
>Chapter Organization
>Combat doctrine
>Chapter strength

Rolled 25, 77, 93, 7, 70, 62, 94, 100, 92, 65, 78 = 763 (11d100)

And now the d100s

>When was this chapter founded?
>Who was the Chapter's Progenitor?***
>Chapter Legends
>Deeds of Legend
>Chapter Homeworld
>Homeworld Terrain
>Special Equipment
>Chapter Beliefs
>Chapter Strength
>Chapter Relations
>Chapter's Enemies

***May change depending on the result. They strike me as Raven Guard successors.

The Nemesis chapter has some stuff already. They're the Ultramarine Destroyer squads who nobody else in the Legion liked. They were separated from everyone else, and turned out to be really effective on Calth because phosphex don't give a fuck if you daemon or legionary. After the Legion broke up, they were made their own chapter and told to fuck off.

What the heck is a Destroyer squad? Friend, if you're going to build up on others' works, please reference and consider what Anons have already produced.

>tfw reading their blurb
>it's pretty cool
>Progenitor: Ultramarines
>REEEEEEE
While it fits, I still don't like that one small detail.

I forgot some things, so I'll have to roll for them too

>Why was the Chapter Founded?
Counter - "There are Orks over here! Found a Chapter!" "But it'll take 50 ye-" "Do it!"

>When was this Chapter Founded?
35th Millennium

>Who was the Chapter's Progenitor?
Traitor Legion or Unknown... I can work with this. May trump Raven Guard.

>Geneseed Purity
Pure

>Chapter Demeanor
Cleanse and Purify

>Flaw
Faith in Suspicion - I'll have to roll for this one

>Rule of Homeworld
Distant Rule

FIGURE OF LEGEND

>Chapter Legends
Battle Brother
-Gotta roll twice to determine company and squad

>Deeds of Legend
The figure is remembered as the bane of the Orks, to such an extent that his name is known to the vile greenskins even to this day.

>Chapter Homeworld
Medieval World

>Homeworld Terrain
Ocean

RULE OF HOMEWORLD

>Chapter Organization
Unqiue Organization
Gotta roll for this.

>Combat Doctrine
Stealth
I'm honestly probably going to ignore this. Stealthy Space Marines are kinda dumb to me.

>Special Equipment
Modified Weaponry: When the Chapter’s forges produce a weapon, they produce them in a style that is specific to their Chapter. Examples: Power Sabre, Bolt Pistol with weighted butt for clubbing.

>Chapter Beliefs
Esoteric Beliefs - You know our Chapter's beliefs? They're weird.
-Could probably work well for a Traitor Legion-based chapter

>Chapter Strength
Nominal/Standard

>Chapter Relations
Ecclesiarchy

>Chapter's Enemies
A particular Daemon, Daemon Prince or Disciple of Chaos

I'm not trying to build on other's works. I'm trying to tell you what already exists on them, because others may not know of it and draw wrong conclusions.

The Nemesis Chapter use black gauntlets and midnight blue helms. Their symbols are weighing scales and death's head icon of judgment.

They have a flagship, the Lex Talonis, a Gloriana-class vessel and former Word Bearers ship reconsecrated for duty during the Second Founding.

They are known for purging abhumans, have an encyclopedic knowledge of Exterminatus procedures, and their culture once drew more from Terra than it did Ultramar.

If you want to ignore the official stuff, then so be it. I'm just trying to point stuff out.

Rolled 2 (1d100)

Rolling for unique organization

Well, the original user did not specify the chapter of origin so I felt that since they were thematically pricks that Ultramarines (of the Wardian variety) was a good choice. That and their geneseed is very pure.

I liked the old detail where they were either loyalist EC/used their geneseed, or IF successors, as being proficient with the blade and proving themselves at the Feast of Blades sounds like something a 'Nobleman' styled chapter would be eager to do.

Also, the pics for Halo Brethren and Persucutors of Darkness aren't showing up for me. Is this just on my end, or no?

Rolled 4, 3 = 7 (2d10)

>No Apothecaries
...well, huh. Not sure how to work with this.

Rolling for the Imperial organization they're not fans of

If people feel like changing that one detail then go ahead.I'm the idiot who wrote them as Ultrasmurf with the doucheyness cranked to eleven. Maybe they just THINK they are smurfs because they are glory hounds who like to have the most pompous pedigree?

Hey, I'm the guy who wrote the Nemesis. It seems I made a mistake and I apologize for it as I was going off the info on the Lexicanum page for the Nemesis.

Rolled 1 (1d100)

Crap, that was supposed to be for the Battle Brother of Legend..

Fourth Company, Second Squad.

NOW I'm rolling for the Imperial Organization to hate.

Nah mate, I like the doucheyness bit as well as what was written for their planet and that they recruit from their nobility, that's absolutely great, but I'd rather stick to the old fluff that was agreed on ages past. I'm afraid we never archived the thread, but basically one user made some nice fluff in which they were EC successors who'd believed they were IF, or something along those lines.

I don't know how to change the wiki, and I'm afraid I'd screw up the page somehow if I did.

In Summary:

>Why was the Chapter Founded?
Counter - "There are Orks over here! Found a Chapter!" "But it'll take 50 ye-" "Do it!"

>When was this Chapter Founded?
35th Millennium

>Who was the Chapter's Progenitor?
Traitor Legion or Unknown

>Geneseed Purity
Pure

>Chapter Demeanor
Cleanse and Purify

>Flaw
Faith in Suspicion - Not fans of the Administratum

>Rule of Homeworld
Distant Rule

>Figure of Legend
Battle Brother
Fourth Company, Second Squad

>Deeds of Legend
The figure is remembered as the bane of the Orks, to such an extent that his name is known to the vile greenskins even to this day.

>Chapter Homeworld
Medieval World

>Homeworld Terrain
Ocean

>Chapter Organization
Unqiue Organization

>Combat Doctrine
Original stealth, changing to Lightning Strike..

>Special Equipment
Modified Weaponry: When the Chapter’s forges produce a weapon, they produce them in a style that is specific to their Chapter. Examples: Power Sabre, Bolt Pistol with weighted butt for clubbing.

>Chapter Beliefs
Esoteric Beliefs - You know our Chapter's beliefs? They're weird.

>Chapter Strength
Nominal/Standard

>Chapter Relations
Ecclesiarchy

>Chapter's Enemies
A particular Daemon, Daemon Prince or Disciple of Chaos

Let's see where we can go with this. I'm gonna mull this over.

Broseidon, most of the info is hard to find, and in fact was only released last year (HH Book 5 deals with it, along with the Aurorans, Hawk Lords, Doom Eagles, and others, saying their idiosyncracies and heraldry would persist into 40k). Do not be upset that you missed it. With that said, it is possible that over time their mission and objectives changed, but I just try to point out as many facts about them as I could, to work with as a basis.

If I had time, I definitely would make a Nemesis detachment for tabletop.

>Broseidon, most of the info is hard to find, and in fact was only released last year (HH Book 5 deals with it, along with the Aurorans, Hawk Lords, Doom Eagles, and others, saying their idiosyncracies and heraldry would persist into 40k).
Well shit, no wonder I was not aware of that fact as it would be near impossible to find. Maybe my initial draft can be merged into the more accurate info from the HH books? Complete with updated color scheme,

A shooting star works OK actually. The staff can be their secondary logo.

The Marines Errant have a shooting star, so that's what made me think of it

Are they like the BT, with their chapter cult being the church

So I'm painting up a Crimson Shade space marine for a painting thing our local game store is doing. At the moment I'm thinking of giving him a sort of native american look.

The only information I've been able to find on them is that their Librarians behave a little differently from regular chapters (and specifically it compares them to the White Scars and Space Wolves in that regard), has that ever been elaborated on?

Not that I can think of, but this is the perfect place to do it! They'd obviously act more like shaman than traditional ones. Which natives do you want to base them on?

This helmet/head/neck looks okay, yes?

Yeah, something like that seems logical, especially with their Cleanse and Purify demeanor.

Maybe the reason why they dislike the Administratum is because they feel like it takes power away from the Ecclesiarchy? But at the same time, probably don't want to go too zealous with them.

Any suggestions for Widowmakers chapter symbol? Pic related is current color scheme. Fluff is partially written on 1d4chan.

Can you give us the highlights of their fluff?

Just from the name, Skull and Crosshair.

Yup

Three bolts gets my vote

They don't like other Marines and realize that they're basically just killing machines but they do it out of duty to their homeworld and humanity.

It feels a bit too high up for me, might be because the pauldrons seem too slim/low. Unless you're going for Mk.VIII, in which case the neck is too high.

But disregarding that, it looks great!

A rose and an arrow.

The neck is too high, that's what I thought too. I can't change the helmet, because its already drawn. How do I fix it, then?

Anyone know any army painters with custom chapter symbols? B&C doesn't have one.

Fuck it, I put em in the wiki page without a symbol. If someone wants to go fix that later feel free.

What you could try is to make the pauldrons seem a little larger, give the illusion that the neck isn't so pencil-like, perhaps? I'm not sure, really.

Any better?

The eyes are a little weird

Could be vows of poverty, or at least a refrain from excess. They like to be spartanic when not in honor of the church, using only what is absolutely required

I was thinking the Iroquois would be a good candidate, but that might just be my local provincialism showing through. I feel like the story of how the Iroquois nation was unified would make for an interesting angle for how they'd recruit.

I ducking love Iroquois, man