Does your character ever write letters home?

Does your character ever write letters home?

What do they tell their parents about their adventures?

Check this shit out.

Whoa there buddy, you're assuming the group of 5 loners all sitting alone in dark corners if the tavern still have parents to write back to.

Friends, accomplices, etc. all work as well, I've never seen a PC with no connections at all.

What stories would a character be telling about themselves?

No, my character's family can't read.

Do you send them gold? Engraved tree trunks? Halfling Bards that you tied to engraved tree trunks and slapped vigorously until they memorized the message you wanted to send home?

"Dear mom and dad:
Yes, I'm still living inside a refrigerator box. It's okay, I've managed to scavenge some packaging paper to line the inside with, it's not so cold anymore.

The Shadowrunners I've been working with are still kind of dumb and argumentative and loud, but they've been learning to let me creep around like they hired me to do and it's been working out for them. I know Seattle like the back of my hand, and I'm quicker and quieter even than the elf ninja lady.

How are things in the underground? Are your cybereyes working well? I'm still saving up for the cosmetic surgery for you both, but once you can see and pass for human again things will be better.

I've left a credstick with this message. Please use the money on it to make yourselves as comfortable as you can, and so to buy mom a present for mothers day. I know that minimizing the infection risk is important, but would it be okay if I came and visited then?

-Luka"

"Two mummy.

Kurtok got hurt again! This time it leave scar on nipple. Dwarf say good for character, Kurtok say bad for nipple. Kurtok think group laugh at Kurtok when he speak, but then Kurtok look angry at them. They very quiet after.

Kurtok always getting hurt. Elf say "Kurtok is the strongest, he should go in front!". Kurtok agree with elf, but still find annoying that only Kurtok can fight. Others want to sneak.

Kurtok try this once. Ended up with head in basket. Head not Kurtoks, and Kurtok have no idea how it get there.

Kurtok learn art of drinking from dwarf! Dwarf says Kurtok can drink enough for 3 men, but kurtok not want 3 men to drink his drink, so why does dwarf say this? Kurtok not understand very much, but Kurtok like his friends.

Band of robbers knocked out group and captured elf. Kurtok track them (while being VERY sneaky). Kurtok see them undressing elf. Kurtok not find this pleasing (small lie, elf is very pleasing). Kurtok forget the rest, must have tried sneaking again, because Kurtok only remember looting corpses, nothing else.

Elf like Kurtok now. Kurtok afraid. Kurtok not understand women.

Kurtok need help, mummy.

-Kurtok"

It's basically meet the sniper with sending messages.

"Dearest mother and father,

My journey continues to take unexpected turns. We have encountered another band of travelers and chosen to work together for now, for they are already engaged in a quest that holds the fate of the local hamlet at stake. Tomorrow we shall delve into a barrow to retrieve a unicorn horn, to fulfill a prophecy and the return of an ancient hero. In the meantime, I write this by firelight as the big folk finish their meals.

I was unaware that other races understood the art of dungeon gourmet, but the human with the strong accent, Sven, has proven himself to be an entirely capable chef! I shall see about steering him toward the use of other, more exotic ingredients.

Have you spoken with the high priest regarding my banishment? I hate to be a bother, but I would like to return home eventually. I am sure that my travels have broadened my mind and quickened my hand, and am entirely certain that my clumsiness will not be quite so tragically debilitating in the future.

Please, at your soonest convenience!

-Your loving daughter, P. Silverheart'

Huh, has anyone here played it according to its rules?

Seems more like just a set of writing prompts than an RPG.

They send money back on the regular with a short letter, but it's not like it comes up.

Yes he does.

Only one answer, and it was a letter of insult from his mother whom he haven't see for a century (elven lifespan)

Technically they do, though it reads more as a field journal than a letter home since his parents are professors at a major university.

>Day 37
>Having gained the trust of the local chieftan and shaman, I have begun the labrious process of joining the orc tribe of Burning Sands, or as they call themselves "Haught-ash-phook." While known for their violent tendecies and behavior, I have discovered that this is only due to their fondness of a concoction that the elders of the tribe provide. While it has no name, it's only referred to as 4X, as an indicator of how potent the drink is. The greater number of Xs, the more potent it is. Having ingested some, I can quite honestly say that while it is dangerous in the extreme, but can also be quite explosive when placed in a tank and set alight. Investigations into it's uses for the guild of mechanics for their project "fjord mustang" is ongoing. But again, I repeat my request for more painkillers!
>I must also mention their fondness of games. Surprisingly, they have a quite remarkable fondness of games. From games of chance to games of the more athletic type. One such game that I had the luck of surviving was a game known as "rhug-bee." While the rules of the game made no sense to me at the time, I later learned that it is to simply carry a ball made of cow-leather from one end of a field to another. What I did not know was how violent the game could become. Having only barely survived "playing" one game, much to the orc's amusement, I was able to walk away with several broken bones, missing teeth, and a black eye. I later discovered that this was a "women's only" game when I tried to bathe afterwards with the other orcs to soothe my various injuries. More injuries ensued.

My Dragonborn fighter actually used his time between adventures to go visit his mother and give her most of the gold he'd acquired. I thought it was very sweet.

He's a writer who became an adventurer for inspiration. He's against communicating to people you're close to any way but face to face, but he does send manuscripts to his uncle's shop for safekeeping.

The games and characters I like best I tend to write journal stuff on (Epic Words site is a nice help to this) and sometimes it takes the form of letters to family or someone else.

I think it is a good exercise for the GM and others to help understand your character's thinking and personality and helps make them more real.

Have to be really feeling it though, I have a hard time getting thoughts into line to write, but sometimes, especially after games, do I get into a great mental place in that character and kind of stream of thought it out.

When they have the time yes

What is "letter?"

"Estimated Father,

How are things in the palace? Are the servant's still rousing you up? Please don't be so harsh on them, they are honest and hard working folk. I heard about the death of the milkmaid through your messenger, it made me sad. Closest thing of a mother I had, hope that she is resting peacefully now under Sigmar's care.

The world outside is cruel, father. Everyday life is a struggle, and there is a fouler monstrosity at every corner. "Dire times, indeed." as you used to say, I recall your words during my departure from home as they were spoken yesterday. But, be at ease, my aim with the blunderbuss is steady an my companions are unfaltering. We shall return in good health.

May the light of Sigmar guide us in those dire times,
Otto von Wulfgard."

Does your character even know to write/read? Who taught him/her?

He writes letters/reports/earnings statements/etc. back to his terrorist cell in his home country. His father died, his mother is a huge bitch he had to form the terrorist cell to combat.

>Estimated Father
Does your character not know who his real father is?

Are your parents illiterate peasants or of noble lineage?

>Kurtok say bad for nipple
I didn't need those sides anyway

Nope. The less I remind the DM I actually have parents, the more chance they have of survival.

HAHAH! Sorry! I meant esteemed!

Was a bit distracted.

Her entire involvement in the quest is solely to obtain a means to write home.
The spaceship she was one crashed on Gamma Terra and as far as she is aware, she was the only one to survive. She didn't find the full bodies to two crew members and knowing the DM, this means two likely have survived.
The craft was mostly a wreck and all the communication equipment were destroyed.
She knows how to fix it but she needs exotic equipment which she probably won't find readily.
Luckily the party does and they want her raygun and tech knowledge to assist them.

Meanwhile in Pathfinder, my Cleric recently sent home a letter keeping her temple apprised of her quest as well as a letter to her friends and family mostly telling them she was still alive and she sends her love.

Oh, and she's married now, to a Sorceress and a Bard.
But that isn't terribly important at the moment.
Don't worry, she'll totes fill them all in in person when they all come back in the coming months.