What would you want to see in an African inspired fantasy setting?

What would you want to see in an African inspired fantasy setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Gold_Coast
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whites.

/thread

Shitposting

cyberpunk

Swedes.

Botswanan heavy metal...

AIDS

This.
Although it's a given, really.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Gold_Coast

Came here to post this.

Give us an ancient Botswanan metalhead wasteland - endless dust, black leather, fiery passion, mad demon spirits bleeding from ancestral graves, tribes of raiders seeking heavy metal from the stars, the ruins of civilizations long past filled with warlords. These guys have fucking great names, too, this band has members called 'Dead Demon Rider', 'Coffinfeeder', 'Ishmael Phantom Lord' and 'The Time To Kill Is Now'.

Ironically there actually WERE "white" Africans (in that they had extremely pale skin) as well as yellow and even red Africans, except the Bantu murdered or interbred with all of them as they moved south. They were regarded as being inferior pastoralists and uncivilized by the Bantu, much like everybody else who wasn't Bantu

Pygmies and bushmen aren't white, user.

They were neither. The "yellow" Africans are also explicitly mentioned by Portuguese traders who interacted with them, before they suddenly disappeared (via Bantu swords) off the face of the earth.

Africa actually has some pretty interesting history if you take the time to look at it.

The nature of the pure African genome is such that it can produce all known skin colorations.
However, those without the pure genome (people who intermixed with the other major racial classes or the extinct hominids) can't produce the same.

Source?

A vast, mostly unexplored continent. A handful of kingdoms and empires racing to conquer their neighbors before the others do. A vast desert crossed by caravans and merciless raiders. Gigantic jungles and savannahs full of dangerous exotic beasts. Spirits that emerge at night to reclaim the world from the living until the break of dawn.

dinosaurs

Extensive cultural variation and diversity.

Exotic locations
Strange Beasts
Traders, Slavers, Raiders, Hunter Gatherers and all manner of folk trying to survive the harsh Dark Continent

Edgy

Various large and deadly beasts

Also

>dark continent: the redux
Can y'all be original? That shit is hundreds of years old.

>Suave handsome charmers with hyena faces hidden on the back of their heads

>blood-drinking lightning birds who can take human form or act as witches' familiars

>tribes of inch-high people with huge napoleon complexes who ride ants and can devour a horse in ten minutes

>tree vampires with iron teeth and iron hook-feet

>desert-dwelling ogres with their eyes in their feet

>zombie trains (if setting is post industrial)

>basket-headed hyena monsters

>cycloptic flying demon-ogres who sodomize people

>cannibalistic jungle goblins with grass instead of hair who entrance people with magic bells before dislocating their jaws wide enough to swallow an adult human whole

>giant territorial freshwater eels who control the weather, causing floods and sotrms when they fight each other

All actual mythical creatures from across Africa

Or, instead, and extremely well-explored continent full of a huge range of cultures, from super rich empires in the west where the warriors use dick-shaped throwing axes, to pseudo European kingdoms who build huge monuments in the Eastern mountains, to super tall cattle-trading tribes on the grasslands, to hunter-gatherers in the jungles, to ferocious southern warriors who use spear-swords and build stone cities and fortresses to dominate the region.

KANGZ 'N SHEEEIT!

>blood-drinking lightning birds who can take human form or act as witches' familiars
I particularly like this one.What are they called.

Impundulu, the lightning bird. It's a Zulu mythical creature. They're intelligent the size of a man that look like a supernatural version of pic related. They travel in the form of lightning bolts, and assume human form to move among the populace and drink human blood. Witches and sorcerers try to enslave them or harves them for spell components, forcing them to attack their foes. Impundulus are immortal, so one can end up serving an entire lineage of sorcerers. They're also able to shrug off bullets and knives, and can only be killed by fire.

bump

no blacks

Arms dealing Germans selling guns to tribes that regularly raid trains carrying supplies to British Settlements. The trains are guarded by Her Majesty's Finest

are there any books I can read to learn more?

Zulu empire, emphasis on "empire".

Boooooring

I was working on a fantasy Africa setting for an RPGMaker game, combining classical and colonial african settings with a sort of american sense folklore. By which I mean, the plot was that the main character's parents were from the eastern end of the continent, and that east-to-west roughly corresponded to past-to-future. In the far west, where the main character lives, there's generally a higher quality of living, peaceful and pastoral. In the west is also the larger, more advanced cities, and a tribe of lionfolk based off the Zulus, right down to their fight against technologically superior foes. Back east, there's ancient sandy empires, jungle ruins, and scattered tribes.
It was going to be called Dreams of the East, but it fell apart when I struggled too much with the system to get it running. Oh, and the other main theme of the game was interspecies incest.

Found this

>Literally Darkest Africa: The Setting
Have you've been watching too much Jumanji lately or something?

Spears of Dawn, pretty much.

Heavy use of african mythology, since I know next to nothing of any of it

>Spoiler

No.

Is the incest stuff common or magical realmy?

>White Mage in a tower
>Practices Black Magic
>Thinks he can raise undead
>Is just waking local nignogs
>Can't tell they are not undead
>They just shamble about moaning
>So hungry can see ribs
>Aren't smart enough to feed themselves
>Do what White Mage says becaucse slave

It was totally a magical realm. The basic concept is the main character's parents were essentially black versions of Andersson's Bard and the chick from the Vitamin Quest games, so every romanceable NPC, including everybody in the party, was secretly a half sibling of the main character on one or the other side. And, as the parents were all about strange non-human poon, his siblings are shit like catboys and bright red half-giant girls and chubby little swamp elves. This ended up being an excellent way to compensate for all the sameface I was getting out of face generators, even after a bit of photoshooping..

The idea was to have a pure and chaste ending, a modular "you fucked this half sister but not that half sister" ending, and a golden harem ending awarded for knowingly seducing your twin sister... basically it was all a big star wars joke that got horribly, horribly out of hand.

I probably should have gone with that from the start.

For a while I considered rewriting it as just a story, but then I realized it was fucking retarded and just gave up on the whole thing.

I really should get around to finishing that African setting I've been working on and upload it some where.

Book I've got about it is called Africa: Biography of a Continent.

It's a pretty good, and in-depth book about African societies and how they were, and how they are today.

Fair warning though, it'll make you hate Europe, specifically the Belgians and the British

Even with my layman's knowledge of the continent's history, I figured that out.

>African mythology
>Implying there is some sort of unified, general mythology for entire continent
It's like you've said "Taco is my favourite Italian food". Or "why not use European mythology for your generic fantasy game"

>it'll make you hate Europe, specifically the Belgians and the British
Yes, because it's some sort of special secret knowledge about what Belgians did in Kongo and how Brits handled their holdings in Africa

>"why not use European mythology for your generic fantasy game"
Dieties and Demigods has seperate sections for greek gods, norse gods, and catholic saints.

He's warning people who don't know anything of African history except "Ancient egypt, then slavery, then something about Morgan Freeman becoming president". Products of the American school system, in particular.

To these kinds of people, which includes my own past self, it's easy to assume the french, dutch, and english got up to some shit down there, but learning about the history of Belgium in Africa is a real eye-opener.

>Muh noble savage
Africans would still live now as they did when England fought wars with anybody tough enough, when the Greeks were inventing democracy and Logic, when those brave Europeans crossed the ocean to the New World and began a new live, when the French seperated Church from State, when China began to invent all things, when Japan codified laws of living and no doubt will continue for some considerable time.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are what build civilizations.

>juju magic
>evil sentient jungles which drive people insane and give refuge to dark things
>trade cities of gold
>lost highland kingdoms
>cavalry empires
>jungle city states
>cattle herding warrior tribes
>ferocious cannibals
>pygmies
>exotic animals
>zombies
>witches
>giant shapeshifter hyenas
>dinosaurs
>spirits everywhere
>secret societies
>super shotas

All sorts of stuff would be fun

>Implying anyone is this tier uneducated
Not even American education is that bad, user. So how about not being such a stormfaggot?

The hell any of this has to do with noble savage or where did the original user even mentioned the concept?
Instead, his post was about Belgian Congo and all the shit they've pulled there. But sure, stormnigger, shitpost more.

You'd be surprised at how poorly educated a lot of people are.

Anansi

Kings

token Egyptian rip-off location, where everything interesting happens.

Adventure in Rome or Belfast or other such ancient negro cities, of course.

Straight up, being a product of the American School System, unless you actually elect to do the research yourself, which most people aren't inclined to do, our education talks about Africa only in that Slaves came from there (Or, if you're in Texas, "Workers").

Like we are told so little about history that it's criminal. Hell, when it comes to our own history, we're given a very sanitized version of it. We don't really learn about Native Americans before European colonization (I only learned in the past couple of years that a lot of roads were built by Native Americans, whole cities, etc), or even the actual reasons Europeans settled here.

We're also largely kept in the dark about current laws that restrict Natives, or all the stuff that's been coming about now about Race-based laws surrounding American territories, like how people born in American Samoa aren't citizens, they're nationals, or the fact that Puerto Rico's debt crisis is largely the product of Stromm Thurman sneaking in a provision to fuck over the island inside some other bill 30-40 years back.

Seriously, the Education system here is pretty bad due to constant budgetary cuts and people actively joining it politically to destroy it/censor the fuck out of it.

Anansi is a fucking meme character like Baba Yaga

So? Thor is as well...and Ares and Athena for that matter.
It just means those are the ones that stuck in peoples minds.

I came here to say this. Spears of the Dawn is already everything I'd want from an African-inspired fantasy setting.

>(Or, if you're in Texas, "Workers").

I'd almost forgotten about this.

Nearly unstoppable invaders from another place who are only interested in gold, gems, ivory, and other similar items, as well as slaves. These invaders only take control over ports and mines, otherwise they are a great source of iron and other hard metals that can be bought in trade.

Also

carthage or some ancient libyan setting, with white levitic people and not a single nigger

Thor, Ares, and Athena aren't memes

If people brought up Robin Hood and Reynard the Fox every thread we'd be dealing with memes

Are you high?

literally zero to do with the monstrously inhumane things europeans colonists did to Africa

out of curiosity, why do you draw the distinction?

You've reminded me user, Veeky Forums as a whole has a deficit of John Henry.

Berbers exist, you know?
Egyptians, too.

What's even more fucked up is the how they described it:

“The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations.” The authors, on the page next to the map, wrote of “an influx of English and other European peoples, many of whom came as indentured servants to work for little or no pay,” but made no mention of how Africans came to the country.

McGraw Hill came out and apologized and said they would change it in further printings. No idea if that happened or not.

Also, if you're in Texas, you'll learn about how Moses influenced the writing of the constitution and that separation of Church and State is a bit silly.

you know that litterally all northern africa is white since the dawn of the civilized men right?

Never seen a thread so over, so fast

Not enough is done with Americana Folklore in TTRPGS. No Johnny Appleseeds, or Paul Bunyans, or Yankee Doodles, etc.

That said, same to Africa and the various cultures and myths.

>Yankee Doodle
You want more stuff done to mock american nouveau rich?

Not him, but god yes, particularly if you can mock the nouveau rich of Wyoming during and shortly after the gold rush. For those that don't know Wyoming had a bunch of people that got wealthy very quickly due to cattle, then not that much later you had a gold rush where a bunch of other people got very wealthy very quickly. So you had two groups of nouveau rich trying to outdo each other.

WE

Sure, why not? It's not like we don't make fun of the Proletariate.

WUZ

Fantasy setting? Civilisation.

>Fuck off with your dirty Cowmoney, you jumped up beef wrangler!
>Screw you glitterfag! Piss off with you upstart panhandler!

Crystal Gems

Right, because cultures like the Ghana, the Mali, and Zimbabwe never arose in Africa. They never developed kingdoms that rivaled or exceeded European ones, and don't languish in the historical record because it doesn't fit with the European and Mediterranean-centric narrative provided in most primary school education.

[s]Yes, I know it's bait, but if at least one person learns something today, it's worth it.[/spoiler]

Wow, so fucking original! Portugese trading factories! Now that's something truly inventive!

Fucking this.

>our own history
There is a joke in my country about American history. I will go directly to the punchline:
- This chair got more history than your nation

If they had kingdoms that rivaled or exceeded European ones then why don't we hear how the Mali Empire shaped much of history? The industrial revolution in Zimbabwe? The circumnavigation of the Earth and discovery of a new content by Mbugu Zebexob of Ghana?

Let me guess: 'cause they actually only developed a new kind of clay pot which had great spiritual significance and we're just too white and narrow minded to see how that was a revolution, lul

Certainly have to give Morrocco its fair share of credit.

Also from what ive read of Zimbabwe it certainly felt like it was heading somewhere before it got torn apart.

>then why don't we hear how the Mali Empire shaped much of history?
Look up the pilgrimage of Mansa Musa.

>Cutting on education
>Cutting on health care
>Violence and crime off the hook
>Claims to be first among first world nations

Oh wow an African king had a lot of gold and slaves, that's a pretty good start, now build a gun or a galleon or invent chemistry and we're talking.

>2016
>Burgers still desperately trying to create something they can call folklore
It's not working that way, friendo

>Being this tier uneducated
Different user, but you just proved the point how much stuff was cut from your historical education. Or education in general.

i dont know, id give them a fair amount of credit for being able to reliably navigate the massive inhospitable areas of the continent, including leading long caravan lines through the desert.

Plus they survived and formed a civilization in a much more hostile environment thant Europe, a lot of European success can be laid down to our temperate climate, less hostile fauna/flora and reliable seasonal weather. We had the optimal environment and climate to move settle down and develop.

They ever developed as far technologically but thats not to say they didnt have their own accomplishments shaped by their environment.

>invent chemistry
I just love when some white trash starts to brag about shit he doesn't even understand as a way to validate anything at all

Those are always amusing.
I remember something similar at a cathedral I visited: "we tell Americans this is our new roof, only 500 years old"