/ccg/ Custom Card Thread /cct/

Ramp Edition (mo mana, mo problems)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Probably fine, but something about the wording is bothering me and I can't determine what.

Primal seems okay, but I'm not sure how much I like mechanics with no early game presence. I guess it depends on how they play and what other cards have them, really.

Coiling Oracle's big sister. Seems fine.

I recall this card causing something of a stir. It's more complex than it "needs" to be but for a reason, and it's rare. I'd probably make it monoblack but that's just me.

Priest of Urabrask was uncommon, and I think this should be too.

It was meant to be a rare but it looks like I was too quick to save this

No worries, we all do that once in a while. Rare is probably fine too, now that I'm noticing it makes six red mana, not five like I thought when I first looked at it.

This is a nifty hate card.

Not bad. Name doesn't really convey what the card does to me though.

I like the two-sided nature of the +2. The rest really doesn't make him feel like a warrior at all. The +2 and ult gel mechanically but thematically the card feels a bit all over. Last two abilities feel like they want to be on some kind of shaman or something.

I think this might be overcosted; it does nothing on its own and can take a huge hit with a single removal spell if you have multiple Auras on one creature. I'm not really sure what the proper costing is, but I can tell you I might prefer seeing it as an Instant instead. Makes a cool combat trick.

Quite like this card. Most people won't however. It plays a bit messy.

Primal sounds and seems mono green. Card is balanced.

Aii ;-; This. So good.
Seems *slightly* too weak though. Keep in mind cards get exponentially stronger, most of the time, when the costs go up.

Should be mono black. I don't quite like how fast it makes the game, but sure. You can do it.

I really don't like how the mana is lasts only for your upkeep.

This is annoying ;-;

The -3 is a bit too powerful. Do 3, 4, or 5 cards.

This is way overcosted. Do -1 and have it be enchantments, or do 1WG and make it enchanted creatures.

Or something like that.

I don't buy this in mono-red.

>3-CMC, one sided Death Pits of Rath
NOPE.

Also
>Not Element of Wrath
ya done fuc'd up.

Is the edge case where you hit a Walker common enough for this to specify "permanents" instead of "creatures"?

The land should enter tapped desu

Anyone here remember Adversary?

At the very least twice as easy to remove as Pits of Rath.

Guess it could be Element of Wrath tho.

It is for me. It's also a safeguard for new permanent types.

No idea.

Should draw a card or gain life, at the very least. That card itself is not worth a card.

No reason this shouldn't target.

Also no reason it shouldn't be controller instead of owner, destroying stolen permanents is a pretty fringe case

Should probably say "non-creature permanents" unless you want to throw Black in there.

It replaces whatever you destroy with an 8/8 trampler, so it doesn't have to include black.

If a creature/pw stops being such, can damage still potentially occur and thus destroy the permanent, or would every theoretical source fail to connect.

Nah.

Meant for

You can't deal damage to non-creature, non-player, non-Planeswalkers. Damage can be marked on non-creatures, if they've been dealt damage already and then turned into a non-creature, but even turning them into non-creatures at instant speed in response to the trigger wouldn't save that permanent from a Death Pits of Rath effect.

While it functions, i find the mechanics strange, it functions favorably with cost increasers and x only values (C) despite being "payable" with anything.

Personally i think making it a cmc 1 or 0 with multikicker for +1 costing (C) looks better.

>Should draw a card or gain life, at the very least. That card itself is not worth a card.
It's 1 mana ramp for 1, I'd say that's pretty good.

>At the very least twice as easy to remove as Pits of Rath.
"It dies to removal" is literally the worst, most cliche excuse someone can ever make for a poor design. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Can't be played turn 1 unless you have duals. Though you can put it on an opponent's plains.

So many lines of text...

Man, space on Planeswalker cards really is at a premium. I wanted to make his -1 turning into a 7/7 indestructible creature to match the other WURBG slivers, but that just takes up so much space...

The issue is the MSE PW template. It doesn't really let you use more space for one ability and less for another to keep a larger font size; it scales them all equally. The best way to do it I've found is to edit the text in a photo editor after you make the blank card with art in MSE.

New mechanic. Well, relatively new, I mentioned it on reddit once.

So... "counter target spell targeting this spell and retain your card count"? I dunno man, seems kinda good. You'd have to be careful what you did with it and how you costed it. I'm not too sure it's a good idea.

Okay I see what you are doing with this. Getting things on-cast on the regular is probably a bad idea; it limits counterplay and makes the game "who can use their turn better?" which would just be boring all-around I think. Not that the mechanic itself isn't interesting; I've never seen it or anything like it myself in these threads, but what you are doing with it is probably not a very good idea for a fun draft environment.

I should also mention that this will play a lot like Forecast, which also kinda made for stagnant play since you can't really interact with Forecast cards without forcing a discard.

>Getting things on-cast on the regular is probably a bad idea; it limits counterplay and makes the game "who can use their turn better?"
Hmm, I guess so. But casting and returning say the Knight for 2/1 tokens is really mana inefficient, especially since there's a large payoff to actually letting it resolve.

Well, you can counter it after they pay the Reconsider cost, while the Reconsider ability is on the stack unless they have enough mana to activate it again.

I get that the costing isn't seeming to be a problem, it's the interactability that's the issue. And it's actually worth a lot of mana to not lose cards; that's why Forecast was so expensive if the ability was any good at all. The main problem with being able to "counter" Reconsider cards is that in order to counter them, you have to be sure they can't be Reconsidered, OR have two counterspells ready. That's a lot of effort, and a huge loss of cards compared to the dude who just pays some mana to get his card back if he doesn't want it to be countered, and might get something out of the initial cast to boot, depending on the card in question. See the problem? It's not with Reconsider, it's with what you are trying to do with it. It is just something you have to tread lightly with, and I'm not sure I'd agree with it either way, but hey, I'm just one jerkoff. See what you can do with it before you throw it aside.

Okay, first full draft of green rares in the rough. I got a ton of great feedback last time with the red rares, and it really helped me to pull them in a better direction. So, I'd appreciate hearing whatever thoughts you all have on these. I'll be in classes most of the day, so I won't be able to address anything until later. Thanks in advance!

Riftborne Wildling is one of the coolest cards I've seen in those threads. Flavor text and art is also great

>Riftborne
Truly, truly excellent. Possibly too powerful. Still excellent.

okey then here we go for a full one;
>01
Yep that's a thing. I don't consider it very interesting, but it's a card.

>02
das a lot o' frogs.

>03
>Steadfast
This is weird. Especially next to Riftborne Wilding. AKA "Not Melira"

>04
Speaking of which yep still acool card.

>05
This card 99% of the time instawins in limited on activating Incarnate. Careful with that.

>06
Feels weird. Far too slow to make any real impact imo, beyond you know the vigilant bear.

>07
Such value. Much punch.

>08
But I can't use it in EDH ;_;

>09
Frogs are cool.

Overall;
Needs more spice. I'd scrap 01 & 03 completely, not interesting enough imo. I like the idea of some of these cards, but not quite there yet. Needs some work fo sho.

Current faction rares

1, 3, and 4 are crazy sick dude, very nice cards.

bump

Headliner and Apocalypser are cool. The others look boring for flashy three color rares.

Thanks, anons! I really appreciate that.
Thanks for all of the feedback, user.
>Steadfast
After considering it for a while, I believe you're right. A lot of my cards WANT counters removed, to a certain degree. While this version combos well with vanishing (as was the intention), I believe it also clashes with a number of my cards and will probably result in a lot of feel-bad experiences for the player using it. So, I reworked it. What do you think?

>Jubilitic Headliner
Still fantastic.
>Mindslip Savant
I'd rework it to draw a card for each card put into exile from a hand that turn, that way it scales with how hard you dream it. As is, it's a bit lackluster.
>Untqalt Apocalypser
Suicide removal spell or self-enabling evasion. Either way, very nice. I like this one as well.
>Hideling Hero
Deceptively powerful, as cards like Mastery of the Unseen have proven. However, using cards from the hand instead of the library does eliminate the card advantage Mastery generates. So, I think a "whenever a permanent you control is turned face-up" triggered ability of some kind would help it feel better and more exciting. Might have to change the p/t to keep it balanced if you do, though.
>Host of History
Big vanilla body is a bit boring for a faction rare, even if that card happens to be awesome flavorfully. Least excited about this one mechanically, but the concept is very cool.
>return target land card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control tapped.
Wording gleaned from Titania and Geth.
Clever, I like this. Cost seems fine. Comparable to Natural Connection, but more limited in what it can search for. Ramps but doesn't fix. Overall, solid card.

>>return target land card from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control tapped.
If he wants it to return a milled land, it can't target.

Ah, good point. I'd defer to Sudden Reclaimation, then. So, what he had, but with the positions of "under your control" and "tapped" swapped.

Requesting art for hideling hero.

Changed the w/u french vanilla to a functional reprint (except type) of vassal soul and the b/w french vanilla to a hybrid child of night (except type).

>druid warrior

Reminder text ended up too long. Fuck me.

>jubilitic
>apocalypser

i like these cards but you need better words

Remember that reminder text does not need to use rule text syntax.
You could probably get away with "You may play this tapped as a land with "{T}: Add {*} to your mana pool" instead." without causing too much confusion.

Also, cast triggers are somewhat rare, and it can cause misplays when people try to give itself haste.

I don't have transform templates

As written she'd die after being transformed if she was dealt 4 or more damage.

You're right, thanks

You could fix this issue by changing the timing and wording on the trigger to mirror Sengir Vampire's trigger wording somewhat:

"When @ dies, if it was dealt combat damage by a creature this turn, return it to the battlefield transformed."

I believe this would work, but I could be wrong.

Sliver Manland when?

>"ALL OF MY LANDS CAN NOW TURN INTO SLIVERS! MUAHAHAHAHA!"

you can't use 'if' with 'would', mate

stupid question:
what does reconsider mean?

Tell that to Rhox Faithmender

Mhmm.

True enough.

I'm a bit worried about how good this is, but doesn't seem broken.

Heh. Cute card. Usually the Human would give reach to Humans. I hope Jumpmaster 5000 isn't the definitive name.

Amazingly good card. Love aggro U.

You know this is offering right? Just making sure.

Meh, I'm fine with one, or two of's with no race type as long as the depicted art is unclear. Card is okay.

I disagree with You can't give it haste because it's not a creature on cast, and it if it could target spells, it would work just fine.

Oh hey you, long time no see. Flavourful card, looks pretty cool for a draft of sorts.

That could cost R and draw a card.

Legendary creatures don't get gendered pronouns unless they're also planeswalkers.

Riftborne Wildling is insane in all the right ways. One tiny thing: I'd cut "and stronger" from the (otherwise excellent) flavor text, because it contradicts what the card actually does.

I haven't much else to say, other than that there's a lot of excellent and original design on display here. Kudos. I can hardly wait to see the full set.

Oh, nevermind. I forgot what Vanishing actually does.

I'm You can't give creature spells haste because that doesn't make sense. Haste does nothig on a spell, and the creature it generates is a different object.
For example, there are certain cards that can bounce spells. If somehow you managed to resolve the creature spell in question before the bounce effect (perhaps by switching targets with yet another card), it will not be returned.

This is what I meant when I said it would lead to misplay.
Players who are not as familiar with the detailed rules will assume they can cast it and then have it target itself, which with the current wording is not possible.
It's your job as a designer to prevent these situations - make your card so that what you'd expect to happen is what actually happens. At common, this principle is even more important.

Just change the trigger to etb.

Nice card, but i had add "When Duel enters the battlefield, if you casted it from your hand,..." to prevent flickering effects and such, because i think this effect is more meant to be on a sorcery.

Away from my computer but I wanted some input on some card ideas

Ritual of Rebirth 1WB
Enchantment
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature card from a graveyard.

At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice ~ and put the exiled card onto the battlefield under your control.

Card name - cost
Exile each creature and put two time counters on them, they gain suspend

>111.4. If an effect changes any characteristics of a permanent spell, the effect continues to apply to the permanent when the spell resolves. See rule 400.7.

Sorry, but no. I tried quite a few mechanics that deal with that and the hoops you've got to jump and the memory issues made it a moot proyect.
The spell's characteristics determine the object it becomes when it enters the battlefield. If a spell has its colors changed, it remains of that color until it leaves the battlefield. If it has an ability, it gets that ability.

An idea that just popped in my head.

no p/t