Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Animal companions edition. What's your favorite pet in the game, anons?

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here:
web.archive.org/web/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-discoveries/arcane-discoveries-paizo/staff-like-wand
d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/wand-mastery-su
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I've literally NEVER played a character with a pet. I should, but I just do not feel like it.

Roc, absolutely no contest

Owls a best

I... had a fruit bat...
But I failed a save against Energy Ball.

Yeah sorry about that, I just wanted to send a strong point without risking me rambling on about semantics.

>owls

Mah niggas. I raise you an owl-gryphon, though.

I am sorry to hear that. RIP.

I see and save your owl-gryphon and raise you an owl-cat

Hey, /pfg/! How did your weekend go? Did you have a nice session?

I know it's not actually the best choice, but I love wolves.

Though I do like the big cats now and then.

No. It was more of the same with the group I described here.

I think those are both Tressyms, guys.

So I was going to respond to this post.

And then I hit post and it yelled at me that my file was a duplicate.

Because beat me to posting the Owl cat.

SO INSTEAD HAVE AN OWLBEAR

I actually like having a crow now and then. Clever birds full of grimdark and sass.

Our Kitsune turned into a fox and forgot how to turn back into a human after a night of heavy drinking.

I had two nice sessions after over a month of canceled ones.

The one where I DM was pretty uneventful, since we had to cut it short, but there was some nice story progression.

My group also started a campaign at level 1 with 10 Mythic Ranks, of which I can tell stories if people want

Pic related

>that image
Did you guys notice the Baby Bestiary is in the trove? Not even in a folder like literally everything else, just sitting there in the root.

It wasn't too bad, spent the session doing RP since half of the party was missing and instead got drunk with the crew of a pirate ship.

SO! Last thread I asked about a potential iconic character, and was informed that aside from the obvious thing that got people replying, she was very boring. A totally fair assessment, since I was drawing upon a character made for Paizo's Hell's Vengeance AP, and she hadn't gotten fleshed out due to >level 1. So I must pose two questions!

What makes an interesting iconic character, and what level would you say an iconic should be shown to be "iconic" at?

Did you sing any shanties?

Crows and foxes give the best sass.

No, see We're heading to the Inner Sea though! TO TALDOR!

I need some help, /pfg/. I'm sick of GMing. I was desperate for a group and gathered up three friends to play with and decided to use a GMPC to be our fourth. We had agreed to play Iron Gods together and our party was a half-elf bard, human spellslinger wizard, a changeling witch, and an android aegis. The witch player and I have experience from a past group that broke up, while the bard and wizard were completely new to the game. First book went okay, although half the party had a very gimmicky personality. The bard was a metrosexual twink who the player described as "as pop-punk as possible", while the wizard was lulsorandumb. To give an example of the shit he would do, the first thing he did was go to the stables and suck a horse's cock. The witch was the typical changeling on the run from her mom, kinda bland but at least not annoying to deal with. This party would have been fun in a lighthearted game, but I intended for the campaign to be a bit serious and they threw it right out the window. Regarding combat, the bard player didn't even bother looking at what his class does so when it was his turn he just asked me "What do i do?" I was willing to comply for the first few sessions, but it's been about two months and he still refuses to look at what a damn Bard does because "Reading is for nerds". The bard has also attempted to seduce every single female in the game so far including Val before I told him she was 12 years old, and by seduction I mean he just rolls Diplomacy without even trying to set up any kind of buildup. If seduction fails, the wizard tries sexual assault. It's gotten to the point that he has nearly raped many NPCs but got his ass beaten each time. It also doesn't help that I feel like I'm babying the party because my Aegis GMPC does enough damage to take out any threat within three or so rounds.

TL;DR My group is driving me to hate GMing.

Kill their characters, make them create new ones
Any random and shit behavior costs xp

Didn't have to copy and paste my entire post, I linked it up here.

Crows do it better, because crows can speak from the start.

tfw ur party's bard does all the work while you meatshield for her and your gunslinger misses every shot, does nothing and then jews you and the bard and the rest of the party out of loot like a shitter

>Kitsune beguiler got drunk and forgot how to human

Aw, cute. But Taldor, huh? Should be smooth sailing-best of luck with the raids and piracy!

6 or 12. Make the character relatable somehow.

Sure! Stories are nice-go right ahead.

Does smug count as sass? Because if it does, I think cats have a strong showing.

>What makes an interesting iconic character?
An iconic should be, well, ICONIC. They should, at a glance, immediately tell what class they are showcasing. A bearded man with a staff for a wizard, a lithe elf with multiple knives for a rogue, a baggy-eyed man with potions and bombs and oils for an alchemist, etc. But on top of being recognizably of a class, they should have physical and personality traits that make them stand out to be something more than just generic. A unique fighting-style or weapon choice, personal trinkets on them that point them to being more than they appear, a personality that might or might not be a standard for the class, etc.

>What level are they?
The original 11 iconics were shown off at levels 1, 6, and 12. I'd say to show off your iconic as a 6th-level character, since it's enough to showcase their abilities that have developed without doing too much all at once.

Yes it does.

My point still stands

Innawoods, couldn't make it to session.

Instead worked on my crappy homebrew

Still wating for next round of critique

The party decided before character creation that we would all be Hybrid classes for some reason.

By the time I was told about the campaign, the group had an Aasimar Guardian/Hierophant Warpriest, a Human Guardian Brawler, and a Half-elf Champion Bloodrager, so I came in as an Elf Archmage Arcanist to fill the gap in casters.

We wake up in a dungeon with no gear, in chains that inhibit mythic power and magic with an NPC who breaks us out of our chains. We start trying to get out of the megadungeon we were apparently trapped in, scavenging gear as we go from things we kill.

Our first encounter is against 7 Mythic Wolves and a Mythic Winter Worg, which I found out later was between CR 9 and CR 10. Since I'm the character least reliant on gear, and they were very grouped together, I drop a Mythic Color Spray with Channel Power to force save penalties, knocking every enemy unconscious for almost a minute, and giving our party a chance to Coup de Grace them.

We manage to find some gear, including the Bloodrager's Legendary Item, her Elven Curve Blade, which lets her pump out something to the tune of 75 damage per round as long as she has mythic power to spend

Our DM takes this as a challenge to amp up encounter difficulty, and has undead enemies specifically try to target me in an effort to deny the opportunity to let off more Color Sprays, letting very dangerous Brawler and Bloodrager shred the next few encounters with relative ease while I fly and Mirror Dodge my way out of danger and the Warpriest buffs the party.

As we get close to the exit, we have to get through a short maze lit by glowing sapphires and guarded by two Mythic Minotaurs. They start shredding us in tight quarters, banishing the Bloodrager to a Maze and teleporting away to heal until we finally just unleash the majority of our remaining powers for the day to finish them off. I gather every sapphire in the room, gaining about 18000 gp worth of gems so we can get real gear when we leave.

Players dungeon crawled through a slightly tweaked dungeon shamelessly stolen from a favorite book of mine

Which one?

Society of the Evening Star. The inverted tower, in particular

Gareth, why do blinklings have such shorter lifespans than regular halflings?

Dog years, user.

Because their life is over in the blink of an eye

Does anyone REALLY care what happens to sub-Medium creatures?

Er, Rise of the Evening Star

No.

I have never played Pathfinder before, but my friends are doing a game and I am joining in.
The setting is going to be pretty dark and late Renaissance /early Victorian era. I pitched making a character based on Hunters from Bloodborne, and the DM liked it so much I got free reign to design my own trick weapon and a race(more like a human subtype) with a 10 rp limit.

I feel like I am going to fall into some trap options though since it is 3.5 based and I do not know much about it.

I have designed a weapon that I am fairly happy with(Saw Cleaver) and have been mostly looking at Inquisitor to make the character but feel lost looking at all the options between all the archetypes and have no idea what race options are worth it.
It seems like my pistol will be pretty useless other than being around for flavor as well.

Any tips for building a mostly melee Inquisitor that is fairly nimble or ideas for building a race based on the beast hunters of Bloodborne?
Also should I just give up on the pistol being more than decoration?

I care.

Specifically, I care about bullying them.

If I use a wand as a non-caster do I have a caster level? Does it default to 1?

Hey guys. Wanted to ask a stupid question...

Friend is gming and asked us to come up with whatever was awesome, silly or stupid using paizo sourcebooks/wiki

...Is there any way to make a monk/fighter who doesn't need vows to ORA? I haven't the foggiest on where to start...

how did that blind her?

Nobody except people with special features uses their own caster level for wands, they're set upon creation of the magic item. Usually it's the minimum - in fact it's pretty much always the minimum unless you get one specially made.

A friend of mine really wants to play a Kineticist. Like, really badly. The game I'm planning will go from about level 2-7. Would said player run into real problems at this point, assuming no one else is playing a full caster or other Tier 1 class?

I mean, you could be a Brawler. Might want to check through most of the core books next time.

Why does this keep getting posted?

Keep posting it.

Well, Brawler is literally a Monk/Fighter combination class.

>filename

Someone is being satirical about DSP fans posting I think

Wands default to the minimum caster level necessary to cast the spell it has in it.

For example, a Wand of Cure Light Wounds has CL 1, since a 1st level Cleric could cast Cure Light Wounds, but a Wand of Cure Moderate Wounds has CL 3, since Cure Moderate Wounds is a 2nd level spell, so only casters level 3 or higher can cast it normally.

Damn. No feats or classes to get around that?

>Would said player run into real problems
No, he should be fine. Despite Veeky Forums's obsession with saying it's utter shit, it's quite balanced and more importantly it's fun. The biggest tip I can give is to make sure that both you and the player fully understand it, there's a lot of moving parts to it.

Why /do/ you keep posting my cover?

Third for brawler. Martial Flexibility is a lot more fun than it is strong.
Most of the time, if you just need to deal damage, you're just going to want Dedicated Adversary as a free flex-favored enemy.

But you can make a lot of niche combat options possible with martial flexibility. MF into improved grapple with a Dan Bong and pre-errata Brawling armor.

MF into Crane Style while fighting defensively and combat expertise and you can bring your AC up by a good 6 or 7.

Is it really powerful? Not particularly. Is it fun to play with? Yes.

Learn your weapons. Brawlers don't need free hands to flurry, so you can just hold maneuver weapons until you need them.

Totally. There's a Arcane Discovery that lets you use your caster level for wands instead.

Thanks for the advice. I discouraged my players from playing Fighter in particular because they're quite unimaginative and plays Fighters as "move forward, full attack", and that's boring for both me and the player.

This will: d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/arcane-discoveries/arcane-discoveries-paizo/staff-like-wand

And this kinda does: d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus/magus-arcana/paizo---magus-arcana/wand-mastery-su

That's approaching dragon logic and you know it.

Wizards can get around it with the Staff-Like Wand Arcane Discovery, but you need to be 11th level and have Craft Staff

It's good art

This would all be a lot more helpful if I wasn't playing a Fighter who thinks he's a gish because he has max ranks in UMD.

I mean, it's very helpful for my magus that I'm working on next, but not so helpful for what I'm doing now.

Just stick to stuff that doesn't need to scale like buffs and CC.

I am currently playing a hunter with a giant orchid mantis companion. This isn't as beefy as I'm used to, but druid/rangers have a lot of defensive buffs plus use of teamwork feats and superior movement makes for a hardy and versatile character.

Forgot the pic.

Wands of Enervation don't need to be above their minimum caster level

Yeah, this Take wands of Haste and stuff. Guarantee you'll be appreciated if you don't have someone that can do it instead, and if you do, they can stop using those spells (since you have them covered) and focus on something else.

It looks like it would be at home in A Bug's Life

Well then, time to read through the full caster guides for good lists of buffs and debuffs. Thanks anons.

How much shit will I eat if I take Master Craftsman and Craft Magic Arms and Armor if I want to make a tony stark Warder?

An Iconic should be pertinent to the class, and show off something perhaps a bit unique to the class or archetype. A good Iconic should be an exemplar of mechanics and fluff fitting as well as possible.

After all, many classes or mechanics require a certain personality or mindset. I'm sure you understand if I mention "harbinger". Or a Dread.

Likewise, the mechanics themselves can influence the character much like the character itself can lead to certain mechanics. Fullcasters are often well known for thinking they can do it all on their own - in no small part because for the most part they're right. Experienced characters may not be afraid to ask a contact or partymember who can handle something well for them, but for anything but "friend's known specialty" they'll probably FIRST think in terms of their own capabilities and see if they can figure it out within the purview of their 'build'.

Master Craftsman doesn't actually work as written. For instances lets say if you take Master Craftsman for Craft Armor, and then Craft Magic Arms & Armor. You can't make both magic weapons & armor, only armor, as you can only use Craft Armor to make magic items and Craft Armor can only make magic armor.

The feat itself, by RaW is really really bad. You spend two feats to do less than half of what a crafter can do for one. Way less than half if you use it for Craft Wondrous.

Considering you're a Warder, not much but still a good amount.
You could try instead playing either an Aegis, or perhaps an Artisan if you are allowed DDS in addition to DSP

I'm...not? I was curious, not mad.

If I want to play a Wizard with a Bonded Staff, how screwed am I before I can take Craft Staff?

>inb4 Wizards are never screwed

Not much. The Arcane Bond being a magic item doesn't really matter much.

That sucks. I don't really like the aegis, and initiator soul maneuver progression isn't that good. I guess I have to drop the battle. I could blacksmith angle.I could use a profession skill(Blacksmith) to craft them both, right?

Well, you start with a masterwork quarterstaff, which is slightly useful in rustydagger shanktown granted I am unsure if for it to be a staff still counts as a quarterstaff or not. I could be wrong
You still get that free spell per day, but the staff is also a bit of a liability if it ever gets broken, and takes really long to come into its own.

Unless you plan on MCing or PrC, its generally better to take a Familiar over a bonded item.

>I could blacksmith angle.I could use a profession skill(Blacksmith) to craft them both, right?
Technically no. With Profession Blacksmith it allows you to take the feat then craft nothing. Because the rules are dumb.

A halfling fucked a dog, and your only question is their lifespan?

>I could blacksmith angle.I could use a profession skill(Blacksmith) to craft them both, right?
not unless your GM decides to be nice to you, but by RaW no it doesn't.

It has a very low optimization floor, and a low ceiling as well.

He needs to understand the class VERY well to be of use, but the 3pp archetypes in Porphyra can make up for it quite well.

Well shit, that really sucks.

There there user. With luck some other user my decide to make an Initiating Archetype for the Artisan, or perhaps come Spherecaster version of the Bladecaster to meld with Armorist

I just might once I finish Blood Reaver and some other stuff

Profession (Blacksmith) is for civilian metalcraft. Nails and horseshoes and shit.

Are his eyes pointing in different directions?

>SPHERES
>ART

An *intelligent* dog, that could voice consent.

Wouldn't you take the knot, if you could?

Did someone say spheres art?