EDH/Commander General

Underwhelming edition

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaseto-snake-tribal-edh-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/
magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/eldritch-moon-prerelease-kit-contents-2016-06-20
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236471
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The two legendaries spoiler so far are shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

This is sorta OK

I guess

This set's going to be fucking awful isn't it

>tfw this set is going to be literal garbage

>set full of sinewy tentacled things
>didn't bring back Ron Spencer for the chase rares and mythics

>implying it isn't easy to go infinite with Emrakul

Has spencer done any mtg art since his wife died?

Ok that's somewhat what I was expecting. Paying 1000+ for a deck seems a bit absurd in my opinion. That and paying 50+bucks for a card

Ive traded on puca for most of mine, i got out of standard before khans rotated and out of modern when ogw came out

You have a list for kaseto? I was thinking of making a list for them

>voltron+counterspells.dec

Aw man I didn't know his wife died ;__;

Yeah, mine is a voltron build, Ihave been told there are better ways to build him though.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kaseto-snake-tribal-edh-1/

I need to update it, swapped some cards out recently.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/

Posting my mimeoplasm deck cause why not, nothing has changed.

Yeah, I believe it was cancer...I guess he became even more of a recluse. I hope he is doing okay, he has always been a favorite of mine.

>tfw you have no collection and have to buy all your cards
being a poorfag sucks

I think I've spent over $400 on 1 deck, and about $250 each for 2 more decks. Lands end up costing about half the budget in each deck, it sucks.

I'm also starting plans on a legacy cube and I expect that'll cost upwards of $1500 by the time I'm done with it. If there's a single card I need, I have a bad habit of needing the most expensive version of it. Judge promos, etc, but it also needs to have good art and modern text. It's a long-term project, anyway.

>Ugin's corpse
>Emrakul
Best combo

The only thing I like about this is the artwork. Nothing else about it interests me

Really not sure where else to talk about this, but holy fuck I need as many of these tokens as possible for Gisa.

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/feature/eldritch-moon-prerelease-kit-contents-2016-06-20

Yes. Yes it is. Probably the same with the next set, and the next one, etc.

How many commander decks do you think is a good amount to have at one time?

Once you hit two, anything else is just kind of bonus.

That's not right at all

I try to keep 5 in rotation, 2 exclusively for french (comp and casual) and 3 for regular (high, medium, low power) so i can pick and choose based on my opponent(s)

Depends entirely on the person, I've seen people with 20 or 30 decks and they're perfectly happy with it. I have 3 which I've kept for years and another 2 or 3 undergoing construction at any one time, but they have a habit of not lasting.

Actually I am rebuilding an old deck I had once, but it's for the Duel Commander rules so technically a different format.

Two is a good place to start. Experiment with different commanders until you find one that you find fun to play every time. It might not take a while.

>Less than 10 cards spoiled so far
>already making sweeping generalizations about the set

Never change Veeky Forums, never change.

this is... uh

YOU WANTED A LEGENDARY WEREWOLF! HERE'S YOUR LEGENDARY WEREWOLF! GO FUCK YOURSELF!

-Wizard's of the Coast Creative.

My upper limit was 14 until I took them all apart. I kinda regret some of them going, though.

I thought WotC was doing a good job with the legendaries lately too. Jori En, Ayli, Angry Omnath, Mina/Denn, Gitrog...

And then you get shit like this and Olivia. And Kolaghan.

I am STILL fucking pissed about Kolaghan.

~4 is probably best, to have some color variety and a mix of casual/competitive.

I hate having to have casual shit on hand though, fuck whiny ass scrubs who cant step

Kinda thinking of having about five (Precon Marath, Karlov, Omnath, Xenegos, and Keranos) with a sixth being an Animar that will most likely be my baby. Is that too many?

How do you differentiate between casual and more serious edh decks?

Anyone able to give me some fun cards to stuff into a Meloku deck? I have been unable to decide on my second commander deck for 2 years and im finally just going to settle with him and slowly turn it into the most asshole monoblue control i can. Gonna be starting with a 50 dollar budget though just to get a deck together to run.

Having personally seen people who buy into the "26 challenge" or whatever, basically anything that isn't that is fine.

I try and deviate from a theme a little more with casual decks, as well as running less aggressive interaction.

It's not too many but I feel like Animar, Marath, Omnath, and Xenagos are going to start feeling similar over time and you'll want to consolidate those into 2 or 3 decks eventually. I'd just recommend not sinking too much money into duplicate cards.

Ok so I really want to make a janky ass EDH deck using Newmrakul, Ugin's Nexus, Nahiri, and some tutors. What's a good commander for that?

what do you mean by that

I have 8, daretti, ezuri, freyalise, mayael, mimeoplasm, jhoira, derevi/roon and olivia 1.0 all are varying levels to play against from competitive to tribal fun times

I dont really care if im playing my BR vampire tribal against a newbie and i lose id rather have new people in the game having fun than handing them their ass with derevi or jhoira

Ok. I think I may just disassemble Marath for Omnath (since I really like his ability) then.

>slap together some janky Daretti deck
>prime wincon is basically loot and sac until I can Imprint a Darksteel Juggernaut onto Prototype Portal
>while I'm playing King of Durdle Mountain no one does damage to Daretti, instead slam away at me
>not fucking once does he get a point of damage on him
>terrible engine finally gets online
>start shitting out Juggernaut copies, copying Portal's ability with Kurkesh
>grab Unwinding Clock and Darksteel Forge from the graveyard and end up with an army of like 14 18/18 Juggernaut copies
>beat the shit out of the table

This deck is so bad but so fun

I should probably make it into a stax deck though

What is the best commander for Izzet artifacts? I would like to build something like Daretti's precon but with blue so I can play Sharding Sphinx, Master Transmuter, Thopter Assembly Line, Academy Ruins, etc. Any good lists?

why did this have to happen. Literally anything else. its so fucking bad

You mean the Elder Kolaghan, I assume? I love young Kolaghan.

>Izzet artifacts

It's where somebody builds a deck for every possible color and color combination. I assume that's what you were wondering about anyways.

Izzet artifacts with infect and proliferate sub theme and awaken sub-sub theme
>Also t2 5/5 darksteel citadel
Choo choo motherfucker

Somewhat related, how do I into Daretti stax? Seems like UW and GW get all the goodies for stax but I see a lot of people saying that Daretti is crazy good for the archetype. Is it because of the sac recursion?

>Commander for Izzet artifacts
There isn't one.

If you really had to play Izzet artifacts, I'd pick Keranos, since he doesn't really demand that you build the deck around him as much as every other Izzet commander.

If you don't mind getting hated on play Jhoira. Her ability helps you get out big ones such as Forge and Blightsteel.

user those are some of the worst themes to use those colors for

Is it possible to actually have Darksteel/Blighsteel Colossus hit a graveyard and stay there? Like drop a Sudden Spoiling followed by Doom Blade on it?

>shittier Mindslaver with a huge upswing for the other guy
Jesus what a terrible card

Seconding this, I would imagine it involves repeatedly recurring Tangle Wire and taking advantage of the fact Daretti doesn't need mana to operate.

Its a replacement effect not a triggered ability so you do not have priority to respond, the card was designed exactly this way to prevent cheating it in from the graveyarf

>Mindslaver costs 10 for its effect
>this probably costs 8 or 9cmc for the effect plus an evasive 13/13
>the mindslaving can't be countered
>it protects itself
It's a good card senpai, even if multiplayer isn't the best place for it.

Humility and anything that removes the replacement effect

>YOU WANT REGENDARY WEREWURF?
>TOO BAD! HERE GARBAGE! FAK YU

>mfw non flip legendary UR artificer werewolf in kaladesh

>has some fuckawful synergy with Clues or artifact tokens
I'm going to vomit

>artifact tokens
What do you think contraptions are? Steamflogger Boss is going to be a glorified Erdwal Illuminator

>mfw steamflogger boss in regular and foil are sold out on jewcitygames for $4 and $10

>play Animar
>have Cloudstone Curio
>play any colorless eldrazi
>play Newrakul
>bounce eldrazi
>play eldrazi
>bounce newrakul
>repeat as many times as you want
>take everyone's turn for as long as you want
>they get an extra turn when you're done :^)

Captain McBark, Furry Pirate Engineer 2UR
Legendary Creature - Werewolf
Haste, Rigger
Disable a contraption to deal 2 damage to target creature or player
"Brace yerself a twelve its gonna get ruff!"
1/4

did anyone not see this coming? werewolves are pretty janky and underwhelming as is, so what would have made this card better?

Ugin's nexus
>you take everyones turn then they all skip their turns so you can take your turn then their turns then they skip their turns again
>this kills the edh

That was such a beautiful comment on the state of MTG's secondary market.
>someone in some unknown corner of the internet points out a few things, mainly Kaladesh's general feel and contraptions being mentioned in the CompRules
>a few jokes emerge about KAladesh finally being the set where Steamflogger Boss is reprinted
>speculators freak out
>Steamflogger Boss's price decuples within minutes

The threshold for spells being cast to transform him back being higher, three or four, maybe just give him something like a regular cost to transform him back and forth between the forms. Have the buff give haste and trample or something, or give the werewolf side any other benefits other than the fight ability. There's a lot of ways it could've been better

>inb4 both emrakuls are banned by sheldon

You don't even need it. When you cast Emrakul, you take their next turn, and they get another turn after. If you cast Emrakul again before their next turn, you take their next next turn, and they get another turn after that. Except their next next turn is the extra turn from the first Emrakul, so you take 2 turns in a row to their 1 cast again, 3 turns to their 1, and so on forever. Take their next 100 turns, deck them. Oops, guess they lost. Next player. Oops. Guess they lost, too. Who's next? Damn, decked yourself, bro. Who's next? Me? Oh I guess I'm the last one alive. GG everyone.

hey look its another wish
it also fetches your eldrazi back from a path.

nin is cheap and draws cards
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=236471

How? It probably doesn't actually work.

See

so how long until Ulvenwald Hydra gets abused, and sequentially banned?

this doesnt work, you cant stack extra turns, but your opponent does. Why? Because you control their NEXT turn, only, even if you bounce like a maniac.

That doesn't work because you can only gain control of one turn in a row, then the extra turn, then you control the next guy's turn, they they get an extra turn, etc.

Do I really need Cloudform when making a blink deck with Brago, even if my creature count is only 19?

That isn't how it works. You'd need to cast the Emrakul during the turn you control to take the extra turn, or you just end up controlling their turn x10000.

Hrm. That's odd. I just checked usually effects like that have a delayed effect. Guess you'd have to do the nexus route.

Honestly this is the kind of janky plaything I could see myself playing in Rakdos. Not as useful as a Kozilek or Newlamog, but fun.

Not necessarily need, but yes, because you can also flicker other manifested permanent types.

Dragonlord Kolaghan is fucking amazing you pleb.
>loot away Kolaghan, Bladewing the Risen and Utvara Hellkite
>Cast Ever After
>Swing for 16 haste flying
>get 18 more power on the board
Haven't played her as a general, but in the 99 of my Scion deck she's one of the best dragons. Haste for all my dudes, whenever I want it. And people really underestimate her when they see the text box, which only helps.

Fuck the le Veeky Forums stax meme. Keep playing such ridiculous bullshit, it's fun for everyone and not the obvious mainstream stax build.

The only thing is, it can only faceup creature cards, and not other cards.

I'll leave it out then.

alright Veeky Forums, it doesn't matter if it isn't great, I want this as my commander for my werewolf tribal deck. what cards will be good in it besides the werewolves and their supporting spells?

ulrich doesn't actually support werewolves, I think he's better in a fight-themed deck

Never
It gets you One land, said land comes in tapped, hydra doesn't have any protection, doesn't do anything flashy when it attacks, and doesn't affect your opponent anymore than saying Ooga Booga big creature

excellent. that is very good news then.

I disagree

He may not buff other werewolves with anything but p/t, but cards that do support werewolves like Moonmist support him well, he's best with as much werewolf support as you got

The best werewolf deck would be Naya with white playing things like rule of law to keep your puppers furry.

He's still the only Legendary Werewolf we're going to get for... well, maybe ever. You want to play a werewolf them deck he's your only choice unless your group will let you play Arlin as your Commander.

If you want him as commander copy paste xenagod.dec and replace xen with him and put xen in the 99, replace a few other creatures with werewolves

theres this card called Primeval Titan. the hydra is literally the fixed version of it

Making him a Legendary version of the Immerwolf for starters.

>Sun side
Put a 2/2 wolf token into the battlefield during your end phase.

>Moon side
Each other wolf and werewolf creature you control gets +2/+2 and has tap: this creature deals damage equals to its power to target creature or player.

He could have at least something like
"0 : transform target werewolf, he gain trample until the end of turn. Use this ability only once per turn."

Guess Ruric Thar will keep his Werewolf kingpin status in edh...