/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

¡Vamos a la Periferia! edition

Old Thread: ================================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/k4Pd527GN48
youtu.be/WWpZC1bKfX8
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alright lads, let's kick this thread off with a design challenge:
Design a [C] or -IIC variant of a mech that has no good reason to have one

>Design a [C] or -IIC variant of a mech that has no good reason to have one

but that's not a 'Mech

>more than one ton of missile ammo.
>Calling it a Targe
Dropped.

Dare you refuse THIS batchall?

>IIC 'Mech with a melee weapon

Bunch of slack-jawed surats around here...

Just leaving this here...

>Wolverine IIC

haha, nice

>Design a [C] or -IIC variant of a mech that has no good reason to have one

say no more, familia

I haven't painted any of my minis yet. At the moment I'm leaning towards Eridani Light Horse.
But then I thought of something, a troll paint scheme. Would jimmies be rustled if my mech were painted like 40k space marines, especially something awful like ultrasmufs?

Here's a novel thought - you could quit being a massive faggot

I could but dick just tastes way too good bruh.

Just go Light Horse. In a few years you'll be looking at joke figs and hating them, and you'll be stripping em and painting em again.

Go for the ELH. Troll schemes are foolish since you'll have to live with them for years. Just paint a real scheme and call it a day.

So, under what circumtances would I want to use Compact Heat Sinks or a Compact Fusion Engine?

Both add a ton of weight, and the CHS don't seem to compare to (clan, particularly) double sinks very well.

Is one star of Bashkir omnifighters too low a bid to take on an Overlord (3056 upgrade version) without fighters of its own?

Yes. The Star Commander is either absurdly over confident or too dumb to live. The Overlord, at minimum, has 150 armor on a facing.

How many stars should be bid?

The rules in play are going to make a difference here. If you're playing individual fighters vs the DropShip, the bid is DEFINITELY too low. If you're playing old squadron rules (10 fighters in the squadron), the Bashkirs can kill it. If you're playing new squadron rules (2 groups of fighters), they may or may not kill it. And of course if you're playing with vector movement rules instead of cinematic movement, the DropShip gains a better ability to put legitimate guns onto your paper-armor ships by virtue of spinning in place (you may still be able to auto-win init, but it's at least *easier* for the Overlord with vector movement)

In *general*, 10 Bashkirs is probably too low, because the Bashkir's armor is less than a joke, even against the Overlord's crappy weapons suite. However, the specific variant of Bashkir you're using will matter TREMENDOUSLY. Most all of the canon 3055 ones are trash for this. However, the C, D, and Z configs are all hard-hitting enough for light anti-DropShip work. Especially the D. If the Star was something more like 6 Bashkirs and 4 Avars, it would be more of a sure bet; you'd win for sure barring bad dice luck or raw incompetence.

Are the first two Succession Wars looked back on the same way we look at WWI?

youtu.be/k4Pd527GN48

trigger warning for the video

>Are the first two Succession Wars looked back on the same way we look at WWI?

No, they actually remember what they were fighting over.

>So, under what circumtances would I want to use Compact Heat Sinks

Leaving fluff aside? Basically never, unless you're a very light 'Mech with a very small engine and Endo and Heavy Ferro-Fibrous. DHS are just so much better.

>or a Compact Fusion Engine?

Fluff aside again, only if you really need those CT slots for something. If you want to free up a bit of room in the CT always go with the Compact Gyro, it's two slots for two tons max. Four CT slots gives you room for a Heavy PPC, an IS LRM-15 with Artemis IV, an ER PPC and a C3 Slave, or Boosted C3 and an Angel ECM, among other things.

Fixed my Dirty Harry pic to Veeky Forums's specifications.

>"""""Free"""""
>"""""Rasalhague"""""
>"""""Republic"""""

>Four CT slots gives you room for a Heavy PPC, an IS LRM-15 with Artemis IV, an ER PPC and a C3 Slave, or Boosted C3 and an Angel ECM, among other things.
Or, if you're a greasy mixtech bastard, two CERPPCs

>Is it even possible to like the Dracs unironically?

Are you kidding? They churn out some great rides, have some of the best stories, and are always in the thick of the action. Other factions are either too boring, too sueish, or basically forgotten (the FWL)

Once you got your citizenship would the Confederation be a pretty sweet place to live?

>free healthcare
>guaranteed income
>strong social services
>sense of community and nationalism
>free porches

>slant-eyed roaches everywhere
>communism up the wazoo
>you'll quickly be executed for voicing opinions that disfavor the Confederation
>everyone else in the inner sphere greets you with "ayyy liao"

>Once you got your citizenship would the Confederation be a pretty sweet place to live?
I think you mean "If"
And yeah, it probably wouldn't be TOO bad, in the same way that being a mid-level party member in the USSR would probably have been a decent way to live

Apologies for the shitty stitching, have some OC.

In your opinion, /btg/, what's the best all-around introtech medium?

The Hunchback. It has far too many solid variants to dismiss.

If you don't want to count variants, then you'll want to look at the Wolverine probably.

The Wolverine-M is probably the best, with a close second being the Lineholder

>Wolverine
It's an AC/5, medium and SRM.
I'd spring for a good 4/6/4 over that. Something like an Enfircer to really lay the hurt on at all ranges.

It's a 5/8/5 55 tonner with appropriate armor levels with a solid Introtech loadout. The Wolverine is much better than you think.

I'm really fond of the Cronus. It's properly crit-packed, has good brackets, and it's a fine hit-and-run machine. Basically a slightly refined WVR-5M built on a Shadow Hawk chassis, and it's on the Merc General list.

For pre-3000, there's the Griffin-1S, which is just cruel.

Quickdraw. It's got everything a good medium needs.

He said the Wolverine M. So the one with a Large Laser in place of the AC/5.

The Cronus is a design I'd like to see put down in MWO art style.

>I'd spring for a good 4/6/4 over that. Something like an Enfircer to really lay the hurt on at all ranges.
The problem with the Enforcer is its utterly shit endurance and poor heat management. In broken terrain it's dramatically outperformed by a Phoenix Hawk or any of the 5/8/5 jumpers with a LL or PPC, and in open terrain it struggles to bring its limited supply of AC/10 ammo to bear. It's got decent armor, and high damage >potential

>If you don't want to count variants
So no, he meant the standard Wolverine.

So are the only Robotech sets worth getting for unseen are; Spartan/Phalanx Destroids, Valkyrie Wing, and Tomahawk/Defender Destroids.

Dammit that was supposed to be a question.

Wow you drew that? Friggin sweet!

here are comparisons of the ones I didn't take pictures of.

It needed the point if it was going to jump.

Also, assuming we ever get the Armored Valkyrie/Crusader, it's like to be the same size as the standing Valk heightwise. Also, forgive my RUINED Longbow, but I don't own any with radar pod.

The Cronus is an excellent mech, just a shame that it's so ugly

Is the Thunder Hawk an adequate ride for a Lyran commander?

Also, does the LCAF still attach Lightning Companies to all major commands or did that drop off at some point?

>Is the Thunder Hawk an adequate ride for a Lyran commander?
Yes, absolutely. It's pretty common in that role
The nightstar is fluffed as having better command gear, but then again that's not necessarily something that a lyran commander would care about when MAXIMUM GAUSSWALL beckons

>built on a Shadow Hawk chassis,
Huh. Didn't notice that till you mentioned it.. Neat.
So the Cronus is built on a shad chassis, and the lineholder and marshal are both build on the griffin chassis, which brings the 55 ton trio up to an even six; three originals and three descendants.
Wonder if the Wolverine has any descendant mechs like that

Playing a campaign of a FedSuns company fighting off a raiding force of Cappies in 3040s. Suggestions for dirty tricks?

There are some neat occurrences of mechs built on unseen chassis. Like the Bushwacker on the Griffin, which is part of why I like it (plus in an AU campaign I was part of the Archon had his throne flanked by two Bushwackers).

Fantastic, really captures the OG FASA aesthetic, but with some modern flair. 10 out of 10 Laubensteins.
Have some OC of my own to share too. MWO Jenner and a folder of camo tiles from MGSV. All for your MekHQ.exe pleasure. Metal Gear: 7za.pomf.cat/ufvgjs.7z

fucked up link, it is: a.pomf.cat/ufvgjs.7z
Have a crab.

You made those sprites?

>Crab

Sold.

Yeah, I have been making sprites for MegaMek and releasing them in these threads for like 2 years.

Anyone else put music on while playing BT?

youtu.be/WWpZC1bKfX8

>Bushwacker on the Griffin
Wait, really?
Guess I also missed that one too.

I see. Beg your pardon then. A bit new here.

Thanks, they do seem very comparable. So just avoid the main box set?

Do you have a folder for your collected unit sprites?

No problemo.
I'm in the middle of redrawing all the oldest ones that aren't up to my current standards/style. Plus I want to have good examples of unseen and reseen. Stay tuned though.

Wham, for example.

No idea why i can't start the mission.

Well I think the only way you get the Valkyries is to get the box set currently. So if you want those, you'll need to get that. Though really only the LAMs are worth it.

What date is the game currently? The Missions itself doesn't start until April 13th, and the contract started on March 30th.

The special missions are a bit of a clusterfuck.
What you have to do is go to your TO&E and select a mech, and right-click it and select "deploy" to the special mission
This took me almost a month to figure out, it's retarded

You need to select mech that will participate in that mission.

Date is ok because game tells that advancing the day will result in mission failure and a contract breach.

Oh I see. Thanks a lot. I had the same problem in my previous campaign and I restarted because of it.

>Wow you drew that? Friggin sweet!
I meant htat more along the lines of "a new scan" - it's from Kell Hounds. Laubenstein, by the looks of the thing.

Yeah, basically. Although on the bright side, you can make a Kurita Archer with the Spartan box, since it comes with two PHX gunpods (AKA the LL).

>The Cronus is an excellent mech, just a shame that it's so ugly
I've got sketches for a 4e-style redesign, I just have to figure out how I want to do it up (traditional or 3d sculpt). It's part of the "retcon equivalent" movement to replace the Unseen, along with the Watchman and a few other things.

The Bushwacker and one of the quads are built on Griffin chassis as well; it's apparently incredibly versatile. The PHX is a strengthened Wasp chassis with its own descendants (including the Chameleon), and the Enforcer has been rebuilt into half-a-dozen different designs as well.

>I've got sketches for a 4e-style redesign
Would you be willing to post those?

eh, what the hell. This is still just a couple roughies feeling the idea out, I've been more focused on making my 28mm Thud and doing paperwork for some RPG stuff than sculpting of late.

I'm going to be running as a Kurita OpFor in a series of upcoming games. Era is the FCCW.

So I need to know: what are some Kurita mechs and battle armor that don't suck?

>those sketches
Looks pretty good so far
>28mm Thud
[Heavy Breathing]

They aren't fond of mediums aside the hunchie.
Lots of the Grand Dragons not only scream Kurita, but are fun as fuck.
Hatchi motors clearly
Jenners are great scouts

That's about as DCMS as it gets to start.

Thud is love

You can improve Rifleman III a little using compact heat sinks. That's it

If it's not being balanced by tonnage, build a C3 network. That decreases the shit factor of a lot of Drac designs.

If not, you're going to have to roll with the punches and deploy the best they've got, which means stuff like the Daikyu, Gunslinger, Cerberus, Dragon Fire, Avatar, Black Hawk-KU etc. You can also close the gap by fielding some Clan machines, a well-supplied Drac Company in that era should have 1-2 salvaged or captured Jaguar machines.

For BA they have the IS Standard/Raiden which is adequate for general-purpose stuff. If you want to create a strong point or do area denial the Kanazuchi excels in that role.

Stuffing 4 sinks into one slot on a particularly massive Superheavy could also be fun, I guess.

Speaking of heat sinks, here's an idea that just popped into my head:
High-Density Heat Sinks:
2 crits and 1.5 tons each, dissapates 2 heat each
I was kinda inspired by stuff like LFF and endo-comp and LFEs
Any thoughts?

I like you, let's be friends.

Have you ever fired so many shots and clusters at somebody that your opponent was just tempted to declare it dead right there?

>Have you ever fired so many shots and clusters at somebody that your opponent was just tempted to declare it dead right there?
Last game I was in someone took sixty charge damage on a medium that was into internals on three locations.
It lived.
It killed another two 'Mechs before the end of the game, and walked off with one point of IS in one leg and three in the other.
Goddamned Trebuchets are like cockroaches, man. Either they squish as soon as you swing or they just will. not. fucking. die.

Meantime, I'm excited to be picking up an original lead Goliath and Ostsol from a legit source for under thirty bucks. Then them bitches are going straight into some plat-cure silicone..

Driving Jackson Davion and his Battlemaster during the Vengeance Gambit 2006 worldwide event. We'd kept him alive for the entire game, despite concerted efforts to trap and kill him by the WoB. However, as part of the game, we had to move Davion from Point A to Point B on the map.

The WoB had sacrificed reinforcements to allow for hidden-unit rules to be in play. On the next-to-last turn of the game, and with nobody else in a position to scout Point B ahead of me, I was forced to move Davion into that hex.

The WoB promptly revealed an entire Level 2 of Gunnery 0 SRM carriers, stacked 2 to a hex, adjacent to Point B, and fired under the "interrupt movement" clause of Hidden Unit rules. So that ended up being 60 SRM-6s, hitting on 3-ish (stationary, range 1, Jackson's +2 for running, and that was about it; maybe there was a +1 in there somewhere I forget). Something like 58 of the launchers hit and after cluster rolls something like 275 missiles actually hit Jackson's Beemer.

The FanPro Commando running the event made us roll it out, even though I think mathematically there was no actual way for it to survive. I would have just pulled the mini off the table.

20-something of those hits were TACs to the CT, and a ludicrous string of 11s and 12s resulted in something like 40 actual critical hits to the 12 CT critical hit slots. A minimum of 3 hits to each slot, with some extra hits to spare.

We still won the scenario for Davion, but losing Jackson like that stung a bit. I ended up getting a painted Legionairre mini for MVP (coordinating the Davion side), though, so it wasn't a total loss.

>I forgot how potato digital cameras were in 2006

tfw Stackpoling rules would have given Jackson some revenge

5 jump and a kick that can remove heads?

>and a kick that can remove heads?
Yup.
Honestly, I've found that the best way to use a Quickdraw should you be unfortunate enough to roll one is to get it in close and start kicking lights and mediums as much as you possibly can before it's inevitable end
I do this so often that a guy who I play with a bunch has started calling them 'kickdraws'

I just call them Quickies - never quite your first choice, and it's all over in fifteen minutes, but it's still better than nothing.

If I roll one in my merc units, it's traditionally named The Afternoon Delight.

>Precentor Avitue, the commander of Blakist forces on New Avalon, breached the fusion engine reactor in her Grim Reaper while grappling with Jackson's BattleMaster, killing him in a massive explosion.[2][13]

>breached the fusion engine reactor
>massive explosion

>The WoB promptly revealed an entire Level 2 of Gunnery 0 SRM carriers, stacked 2 to a hex, adjacent to Point B, and fired under the "interrupt movement" clause of Hidden Unit rules.
What profound faggotry
Though I suppose it's to be expected of WoBfags