…Biometric Scan Confirmed
Connected to Aztechnology Grid…

Welcome back to /srg/, chummer

Last Viewed Files: > Essential Bartending – make your own Thor shots!.pdf3
> Naked Moon Overdrive – la media noche sangrienta.mp8
> How to Win Omaes & Influence Chummers.sklchp
> Wake_me_up_inside.2xs

Personal Alerts
* Your Current Rep Score: 202 (54% Positive)
* You have 1 new private message, titled "This Poor Baby Devil Rat Needs a New Owner"
* Your Chummer > Tools > Options books list has been unchecked; github.com/chummer5a/chummer5a/releases
* Cloud File Storage: pastebin.com/SsWTY7qr
* Running Raiding_Hestaby.btl…

> Watch your back
> shoot straight
> conserve ammunition
> And never, ever cut a deal with a feathered serpent

Few questions about korea
In the last thread, someone said the Unification Church was a front for the bugs. Thing is, the unification church is a real world cult founded in 1954. Were bugs already a thing back then? If not, why did the bugs take them over? They're widely known to be a cult, so they're not exactly a good front for your evil doom cult. It'd be like if the bugs in the UCAS took over scientology instead of ripping it off with the Universal Brotherhood
They also mentioned that Pyongyang was a industrial hellscape. Why would the japs do that to Pyongyang of all places? It's the only nice North Korean city. Everywhere else is already a hellscape, no alterations needed.

Sneaksy lolis.

Assuming these three were a team (face, rigger, sam), who would you add as fourth?

Hardmode: must be female and have cartoon stylistics.

The cult is actually called the Universal Brotherhood. There's a while wiki page on them.
No, the bugs weren't a thing back then, nor was the cult. It was mostly a thing before the second crash, if I remember right. They weren't using the cult as a front, they were using a charity organization with the aid of some high level people funding them.

And Japan hates Korea. Why wouldn't they destroy the last nice city?

Gunslinger Adept/MysAd

Gonna repost my questions from before.

Writing up a condensed/streamlined/fixed version of Shadowrun as a personal project. I've already got skills and attributes reworked a bit (Instruction has finally been pruned), moving on to combat rules tonight. That said, I've got a few points I'd like input on.

>Magic: I'm rewriting the entire magic system. More like Mage or GURPS RPM than the existing system. Partly personal preference, partly to eliminate the redundancy made by having spells like Slay [metatype] or Corrode [item] alongside a general version, partly to give a little more outside-the-box thinking. Is this too drastic? Spirits stay intact, though with mechanics modified slightly to fit in; technomancers... I haven't pinned down yet. I'm not sure how I want to handle them.
>Wired versus wireless. Full wired or full wireless? I'm not doing half-steps.

>What's the most glaring problem with the system that you think needs to be fixed?

>What's the most glaring problem with the system that you think needs to be fixed?
the editing

It's a good system as it is. The main problems stem from the editing in the books, and all the stupid nonsense that gets overlooked by CGL, resulting in lots of fluff that doesn't have concrete (if any) gameplay rules.

I could well see a street campaign run with bunch of 10-16yo PCs, doing "shadowruns" on local businesses and maybe even criminal enterprises that are threatening their families/hoods?.Magic talent has no age limit and little brats will probably pick up AR pretty quick. It's probably combat/muscle they'll be lacking, if they haven't got a troll?

Well, I'll personally try not to be so awful with the editing, at least. I don't disagree that it's a good system- I wouldn't be working with it if it was bad. Just see places for improvement.

I hope you realise that nobody is going to use your snowflake version of the system, right? There's already tons of houserules out there that people use on the parts of this game that aren't as defined as they should be.

Yep. No one's gonna use it but me. And that's perfectly fine. It's a springboard for working on other, more unique projects; I don't have the game design experience necessary to write up something from scratch yet.

Maybe one is an adept with a fuckton of strength boosts?

Aw hell no, bitch. Fool me once, shame on me. I'm not dealing with your crazy ass again.

Bloat is the biggest issue.
There's a lot of subsystems and just... stuff, that doesn't work or is redundant because of existing stuff.

Hacking and magic both suffer heavily from this, but the skill system too suffers heavily from the stupid there.

So if you streamline that then that's a good start.

As for wireless vs wired, it depends on what you're going for.
If you want the silly 80s neon shtick, then go wired.
If you want serious cyberpunk, wireless is a necessity for your Brave-New-World meets communist china style surveillance state.

Yeah, like I mentioned I already pared back some of the skill bloat, and if magic gets bloated, it's from me being bad. I'm at work or I'd dig my draft out to give specifics.

Wireless is my preference personally, and probably what I'm going with.

Juviegang campaign would be awesome.

It's more or less my current character's backstory, and it would be really fun to actually play through.

>Magic talent has no age limit

Not entirely true. People "Awakening" before puberty is exceptional. A kid of 15 already having a good handle on his powers is good but not really extraordinary, but a 10 yo would be pretty amazing. (And the kid probably nabbed by an organization or other because young powerful and still malleable recruit would be too good a thing to pass up.)

So how would I best go about making a rigger with attack dog drones?

Pussy.

They seem to be lacking magical support and a medic.

This one should do just fine. She can bring some extra "firepower" into battles and clever use of ice spells will allow for breaking doors by having the freezing water expand, making the ground slippery for the enemies or even cooling down computers or something.

Not to mention that when the face does something stupid and gets a bullet in the knee or the street sam takes a few hits while protecting the team her healing spells will be handy.

DAMMIT! THE PICTURE!

WHY MUST I FAIL IN EVERYTHING I ATTEMPT TO DO!?!?!

Fuck it, I'm logging off now.

Hey, bro, you wanna try shacking up with the clingy bitch, be my guest. I've learned my fucking lesson.

Orthoskin. Armor enhancements on Cyberlimbs. Helmet/Mask. Securetech PPP. Magical support.

What else can I do to get more armor? What should my damage resist pool be to be mostly resistant to small arms fire?

shaman

>aztechnology_wants_you

always looking for new people, no previous experience necessary

Bone Lacing.

Ajay is the most non-character I have ever seen in the past like 10 years.

EZ

Couldn't find properly sized image

dryad mage?

Or some amazonian tribal shaman-princess.

Pegan Min was pretty excellent though, and I dig how it basically comes out that he's actually better than the rebels.

I know i'm going to sound super new........for Chummer5, should i be using the "latest version" or the nightly release? Thanks in advance, i hope to be up and running, as it were, soon

Talk to your GM about reskinning the Ares Cheetah (R5 138), and get a good RCC with good autosofts. IMO Control rig is unnecessary.

I have to wonder if she takes the cyber knot.

I plan on getting a Rig for a vehicle. While I will be drone focused, I still need to get around, and also get these guys around.

What sort of 'ware would I be looking towards getting anyway? Just standard eyes, implanted commlink, and something for init + reaction?

Street shaman, probably chaos tradition.

Shamanic mystic adept.

Weapons expert

So how do I engage my Magic user on the astral like I do my decker on the Matrix?

I know about Mana barriers and stuff, but what about spirits? Do they just act like IC?

Page number answers are also acceptable

Puzzling over drone creation mechanics for my XCOM hybrid.

Rank 0
Control - Pilot: Physically control the drone from the inside. Can only control one drone at a time. The drone has 2 AP but you cannot act while controlling it.
Control - Program: Spend 2 AP to issue a verbal command to your Drone, which it will continue to follow until no longer valid. Your drone has 2 AP but is under GM control.
Control - Control: You control your drone while still being able to act. Must be within 5 tiles. You have 1 AP while your drone has 1 AP.
Rank 1
Control - VR Pilot: Mentally control the drone from the outside. Can only control one drone at a time. The drone has 3 AP but you cannot act while controlling it.
Control - Pilot Program: Spend 1 AP to issue a verbal command to your Drone, which it will continue to follow until no longer valid. Your drone has 2 AP but is under GM control.
Control - Remote Control: You control your drone remotely while still being able to act. You have 2 AP while your drone has 1 AP.
Rank 2
Control - Expert VR Pilot: Mentally control the drone from the outside. Can only control one drone at a time. The drone has 4 AP but you cannot act while controlling it.
Control - Expert Pilot Program: Spend 1 AP to issue a verbal command to your Drone, which it will continue to follow until no longer valid. Your drone has 3 AP but is under GM control.
Control - Expert Remote Control: You control your drone remotely while still being able to act. You have 2 AP while your drone has 2 AP.
Rank 3
Control - RCC Network: Mentally control your drones from the outside. Can control more than one drone. You have 4 AP which you may spend to control any of your drones.
Control - VI Program: Spend 1 AP to issue a verbal command to your Drone, or let it act semi-independently. Your drone has 3 AP but is under GM control.
Control - Overclocked Control: You can spend AP to grant your Drone additional actions each turn. You have 2 AP while your drone has 2 AP.

The resident mage will usually have summoned some spirits, which may concentrate on the astral (you) or the physical (your chummers)
the other thing might be awakened critters (if they're dual-natured) or the mage(s) themselves

Paraplegic decker (kinda cliche, I know).

My novahot decker who is well-respected on the bbs just got hacked and had his handle changed to "bussy". I gotta save face. What's my revenge plan?

read the 2D story time, particularly the part with the decker in Tir na nog.
Let inspiration flow through you
????????????
Profit

Just started using chummer 5 and i can't seem to get it to load PDF location? I have all my pdf's in one location and it does not seem to want to take a single one....any suggestions?

That's true, never even thought of that. I just dismissed any cyber beyond datajack and such basics...
Hm, is that a new thing? Don't remember it from my 3e days, I've barely touched 4e/5e.

1. open chummer5
2. select Tools -> Options
3. Select the desired sourcebook
4. click the button at "PDF Location"
5. navigate to the folder of the pdfs
6. click on the respective book

do this then post at what step it failed

Hardmode can go fuck itself, this is the best choice.

in 4e/5e at least people awaken at/after their puberty, so a kid that awakens before that is possible but rare
>Children usually manifest magical talent around puberty,
>though it’s been known to show up in children as young as
>eight (on very rare occasions even younger, especially in some
>metahumans).
Street Magic, 4e p.11

I like this idea. Keep it up and please post when done.

I somehow resolved my issue i think. Does chummer automatically use core rulebook?

The Unification Church is actually is totally a bug front in Shadowrun, not a mistake about the Universal Brotherhood. Check Shadows of Asia.

As for why the bugs infiltrated it, the bugs aren't really 'logical'. Some crazy cult guy within the Unification Church summoned The Queen and it all went to hell, and then the bugs smartened up their image by fighting the BTLs to get a better public image for more warm bodies to stuff bugs into.

And no, I don't know why the Japanese turned Pyonyang into hell city.

Only seems to work when i do it twice (if that makes any sense)

>And no, I don't know why the Japanese turned Pyonyang into hell city.

It's Pyongyang, it was hell city before the Japs showed up.

if you plan on jumping into something like a drone or a van, leave out the initiative enhancers, since you'll be hot sim with 4d6 imitative dice.

If it were me, going with that picture, I'd get the initiative dice, maybe some muscle replacement or some other +agi ware, some gun skills, and basically be a drone commander razorboy/girl

Thanks. The only places I have no idea where to start yet are vehicles, spirits, and technomancers; any specific suggestions for those would be nice.

Anyone ever played a shadowrun game set in India?
Curious how it went, I'm joining a game soon and that is one of the places it could take place in.

Another place it could take place is Japan but I've.... got a pretty good idea what to expect there. While not the same game/tech level, I have played L5R with the DM before so I kind of know what sort of themes to expect and so on.

Heck I even already have a couple character ideas for a character from there.... Just not one for India.

Not a lot of ways to come back from that one. Better hope the one who showed you up is some kinda legendary Ghost in the Machine type hacker that's more myth than real. Least then, you got punked by a legend and can spin it to save face and maybe even earn extra cred on top. Make that shit up whole-cloth if you got the skills for it after you've dealt with your rival

Daily reminder that there are literally hundreds, if not thousands, of players who have gotten into Shadowrun exclusively thanks to you guys and the resources you keep in the OP.

Generally I recommend you use the nightlies; there's not much difference between them, save that the updater fetches the 'latest' build rather than the newest nightly.

>> Wake_me_up_inside.2xs

Ah gotcha, thanks.

Is it bad if my gateway into tabletop shadowrun was the HBS games?

I don't think so. Dragonfall and HK were pretty great.

Pyongyang is actually one of the few OK places in north korea. Living there is essentially a reward given to loyal high ranking party members.

The HBS games are what helped me to convince one of the guys in my group to run Shadowrun. (4th ed, almost entirely because we found a physical copy of the Core book. We hate playing from PDFs)

Latest nightly crashes when you hit "Adept Power" tab for me.

Yes; it makes you the same as about 30% of /srg/

I haven't, but here's some Indian ideas

>Eco-terrorist mage from Madhya Pradesh, near the resurgent Great Hedge
>Harumen street urchin turned infiltrator
>Sikh warrior adept, running to gain money to send back to his family, who are fighting to reclaim the Kashmir toxic zone
>Kshatryia razorboy, ascetic and driven
>Sudra who was heavily augmented to work on a farm, ran away to become a rigger in the shadows
>wealthy Tato corpkid from the polished core of rebuilt Calcutta, thrust into the cold by politics
>Nartaki who uses his religious position as cover for radical neo-anarchism
>Ex-bodyguard for the latest member of the Gandhi family to get political power and get assassinated for it

5e question for an upcoming game I'll be in.

How do I build an ork punch adept with the following house rules: Karmagen with 1,100 Karma, Metatypes don't have a cost, I can initiate up to 5 times, doubled Karma-to-nuyen limit, and no availability cap.

I like that these posts are exactly 100 apart. I've never really gotten an idea of how fast Veeky Forums moves, but now I know that it took 6 minutes and 46 seconds to get 100 posts in.

do literally anything except spend 600k on monowire, because your gm could not fellate awakened non-humans harder if he tried

Honestly I kind of really want to play someone mutated by swimming in the Ganges. I like the idea of them being some sort of spooky warrior of some sort, maybe an adept?

The Ganges is super-purified and holy, it's the site of Nartaki rebirths. You could probably say a wide variety of SURGE things came out of it.

I have no idea what a 'spooky warrior' is, so probably MysAd or adept.

Oh bother. I did some shenanigans to make that improved ability power behave properly last night, I might have broken it. What's the error message you get?

"visible-crash-id"-"4df03903-fe7f-47a8-bf5b-ce10f11ef0e5"
"visible-build-type"-"DEBUG"
"commandline"-""D:\Shadowrun\Chummer.Nightly\Chummer5.exe" "
"visible-version"-"5.181.29"
"machine-id"-"00258-61820-76833-AAOEM"
"machine-name"-"NOTEBOOK"
"current-dir"-"D:\Shadowrun\Chummer.Nightly"
"application-dir"-"D:\Shadowrun\Chummer.Nightly\Chummer5.exe"
"visible-error-friendly"-"Value of '1' is not valid for 'Value'. 'Value' should be between 'Minimum' and 'Maximum'.
Parameter name: Value"

Nartaki?
I don't think they're covered in the book I'm browsing through.

And I just mean that the warrior is spooky looking; I mean I know it's Shadowrun and people are somewhat used to the bizarre. But a giant blue man with four arms wielding giant weapons would make anyone scared I would bet.

Nartaki are the only human metavariant. They're the classic 4 arms, brightly coloured skin guys. In Run Faster if you want the rules, they've only been around since the Year of the Comet.

It's always the damn Nartaki people want. Plenty of good character ideas there, but everyone wants to play fucking Kali. I know CGL hates us, but read Shadows of Asia and think outside the box

I coulda sworn in 5e there was a riot shield that came with a Flash Pak. Does anyone remember what book its in or have I played too much rainbow six siege lately?

You say that like playing Kali is a bad thing.

Ares Flashield, R&G pg 72

It's just the one stereotypical image people have of 'cool Indian', beside 'ironically playing Ajay Devgan'.

New to SR, I'm helping my GM design some of his NPCs! Is there any precedent is Shadowrun for Tesla Axes? He's got a big badass norse troll and we thought it would be cool if her melee was a massive battle axe, but electric or light-bladed as opposed to metal or polymers.

That's not true. There's, um, um, that one general guy from World War Z (the book). And there are those women's self defense people who go around beating the shit out of rapists or whatever. That would be a cool shadowrun character, complete with a backstory and everything.

Hm
I guess then I am being really unoriginal with this character, but I like the idea too much to let it go.

Blade made out of electricity/light/laser? No.

A Combat Axe modified to deliver an electric charge like a stun baton? Go right ahead.

>Running game
>Notice that spirits can maintain wards
>introduce Japanese spirit under long-term binding maintaining the astral security at a small Shiawase Facility
>Pick a fox spirit, 'cause why not
>Run IMMEDIATELY distorts around the presence of Fluffy Tail.

Thank you! All I had to do was add a blade to the weapon in the illustration, I appreciate the help!
I love the retro/punk aesthetic in shadowrun, I've never been a fan of scifi but the 80's bladerunner future thing is really doing it for me.

What did you expect?

Does long term binding force a spirit into that form?

Do spirit foxes and spirit angels go drinking at astral bars during their free time?

Long Term binding just forces them into a particular job for a year and a day.

Shiawase is just very particular about the dress code at this facility.

Pick up Run&Gun, find the shock ram, and go to town.

Honestly, you should have expected that.
I don't care how serious the game is, you introduce fluffy tail, people are gonna waifu that shit.

I should know, I've done it. And I'll continue to do it, dammit.

I'm not totally surprised, but considering she's bound to that particular facility and tasked with stopping intruders... gonna be tricky for the runners to waifu that.

Offer to banish her from her long term binding in exchange for her astral number?