Flames of war general

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

[Vimeo] The Fallen of World War II

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/psc-ww2-british-25-pounder-artillery-and-tractor-k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

We reused the image? Boo. Boooo.

From the last thread: it might be a stupid question, but does Battlefront make an SdKfz 251/1D Stuka zu Fuss? I can only find one based off the Ausf. C chassis.

Plastic Ferdinand coming from Zvezda.

New thread, new update to this Upgrades, Funnies, and Balance supplement for the brits.

>Changes
Cromwell upgrades reworked into general "Cruiser upgrades" table, similar to the American Sherman upgrades. Now limited to one per platoon, but no limits on the number of platoons. Anyone with Challengers can replace some of them with Fireflies for a points discount. Nachtjager Challengers (the only ones in Challenger platoons, and the only ones late enough in the war) can have some upgraded to the uparmored model. Armor bonus increased to +2 because an extra 1" or more of armor plating on all forward surfaces is a 1/3rd or more increase in protection for both cromwells and challengers.

Canal Defense Light once again disorients targets, applying +1 to hit and preventing them from spotting or lifting GtG. Effects disappear if daylight rules are in effect.

>Ideas that I didn't implement
The books and websites I found mentioned instances where welded-on tracks on cromwells resulted in one surviving multiple hits from a PaK 40 while one next to it without such protection was destroyed. Applique plates giving +1 armor for +10points were considered for this, but I figured it was better to not include for now.
The other thing I had considered was allowing Challengers to drop their RoF to 2 for -10 points, since there are a number of instances where the second loader was used to fill in for the crew of other tanks. I figured that might be hard to track, and combined with allowing firefly replacements (which was taken straight from the 15th/19th hussar's war diary) might make the Challenger and Firefly too similar on the battlefield.
Finally, I had considered making the VIIw have Wide Tracks, but the change from 14" to 15.5" wasn't significant enough.

As always, feel free to tell me how badly I'm fucking things up, particularly with the new stuff.

PSC are still making 25pdrs in a kickstarter, go give them money if you play brits or are thinking of doing so.

Link?

Here you go:

kickstarter.com/projects/1992455033/psc-ww2-british-25-pounder-artillery-and-tractor-k

Sherman Tulips:
>Developed in March 1945, and only seeing service in April, the Sherman Tulip was a rare weapon system, but a devastating one. Some German officers even complained that they were a violation of the Geneva Convention.
Up to half the Shermans or Fireflies in your Guards Armoured Squadron may be upgraded to Tulips system for +25 points per tank.

ROF: 1. Range: 16"/40 AT: 3 FP: 1+ Notes: One Shot. Bunker Buster. Tulip

One Shot: May only be fired once per game.
Tulip: Armoured Vehicles take saves against top armour, platoons hit are automatically pinned down, may not fire in defensive fire,

Basically the same Rules as the Sturmtiger.

Rate my friends map?

I had been thinking about how to add those in. What I had in my head was pretty similar. My initial idea had it at FP +2 and using having a higher AT, but suffering a flat +1 to hit unless the opponent is dug in. MG nests and such are fortifications, so they're always hit on a skill test anyway. I also didn't have the "no defensive fire" thing, which seems pretty harsh.

Main problem, no matter what, will be costing them appropriately. Devastating one-shot weapons that are probably hitting non-bunkers on 5s is tricky.

Oh, derp, just realized you meant "you may not fire the Tulip in defensive fire" not "Enemy hit gets no defensive fire". My bad.

Fuck that no, RP-3s have a 27kg warhead. It's got more HE in it than a SU-152 shell. They're FP+1.

A list costs about $500 (mostly because of massed artillery and its crew)

>18x152mm guns
Yeah, that'll set you back a couple hundo.

What's changed in the Grey Wolf revised?

Very Nice, have seen it in their 2016 lineup together with a couple of big cats.
Any word on which month Ferdi is coming?

Not actually a whole lot. It was mostly rules to bring stuff line line, like new Armour Car formations, changing the Sturmtiger rules to the ones found in NUTS.

Oh ok. Speaking of german armored cars what's the most frugal way to procure them? Zvezda has 222s but most lists seem to require 8-rads

A lot of people seem to like Forged In Battle. They have a decent range and tend to come out cheaper than BF. Cons are that they are solid resin, often one piece, and offer minimal customisation (often even to the extent of not being able to easily add a vehicle commander).

Additionally, their vehicles are modelled with integral bases, which some people don't mind, and others seem to viscerally hate.

Oh. None of my other vehicles have bases, so that's kind of a turn off for me.

PSC pumas and hummels and sFH18s when?

Are we ever gonna get a book on Russians/Chinese in the early war far east or Commonwealth/Dutch forces in Burma/the Pacific?

Well, Rising Sun is for your EW Far East needs (no Chinese thought), and Commonwealth and rest of Pacific armies should be released through DLC lists anytime soon... still, there will be no Chinese lists afaik

So, I've managed to largely avoid metal figures until recently. I've got some of Battlefront's metal infantry, and because I'm a cheap fuck I got QRF guns. I also had a resin jeep or two, which had a very small amount of metal parts.

I'm prefacing with that because basically I wasn't expecting battlefront metal stuff to be anywhere near as shitty as QRF, but that's very much the case. Loads of flash, parts that don't quite tessalate with the resin, a couple of pock-marks, fat, chubby details... The hull MG just looks like a brick that comes out of the MG port. I wasn't expecting plastics to be both cheaper and better than the metal equivalent but I guess I was naive on that.

Christ, the two opposing track bits are slightly different shapes.

Chich kit did you get, and HOW are the tracks different?

Churchill VII. One track's flat and one track's curved. Looking at photos, the curved seems to be the correct one, but the curve track has a "dent" in it where the surfce of the model's all pushed-in looking, and it's covered in small holes that look like they were probably bubbles at some point.

Yeah you'll probably want to get in touch with Battlefront Support and they'll get you a replacement.

1) Too many buildings, use about 1/4th less and use much smaller ones to represent built up areas. They should be closer to the middle of the table as well. If you are going to have a town or other built up area on the table it may as well be the focus.

2) You wooded areas are too many and too small. Group them up to form fewer but larger wooded areas.

3) Get more door mat for crops/tall grass and do much the same thing with them that you should do with the wooded areas.

4) You need more linear obstacles, usually this means fences and the like.

Over all strive to make the table look like something you would see IRL. That looks like you threw down a bunch of random garbage on the table like you were planning on playing 40k and not FoW.

Some general rules of thumb for this:

Humans tend to cluster their buildings at crossroads,or the intersection of crossroads and rivers/streams/water features.

Roads tend to follow the path of least resistance, so rather than taking them right over a hill they should go around. You should also put down some roads even if they may not effect gameplay. It looks better.

Anywhere were humans have settled for more than a century the landscape generally gets shaped by humans into grids. They need not be perfect squares (most of the time they aren't) but it will always be there. These squares are generally bordered by fences and other barriers to denote property lines or keep various animals out or in.

A good amount of terrain, but the distribution seems a bit unnatural.

Already out apparently.

where

how

And frankly not looking too bad, either.

Good quality... for zvezda

Are scout platoons worth it in a LW grenadier list?

awwwww yiisssssss

definitely gonna pick a few of these up for shenanigans

Usually, Armored Car Patrols are better, but those are not alwasy available, and you ALWAYS (well, almost) want recce.

If I wished to play LW british armoured (not canadian), what would be the best list to go with?

Yes, but particularly if you have tube artillery (i.e. 10.5cm or 15cm) for rockets and mortars Recce is not as critical, but still very useful to reveal GtG, etc.

Scouts can also be a cheap platoon to chuck into reserve so something more useful can start on table.

Do you have a specific preference between the 4 main tank options (Churchills, Comets, Cromwells, and Shermans) for your list? Or are you just looking for the most mechanically powerful list across all 4?

Let's go with the non-infantry tanks. But Cromwells, Comets or Shermans are equally fine.

For Cromwells, the 15th/19th Hussars in Market Garden is about the best and most fun to play. In Overlord there's also the RV Desert Rats/7th Armoured, but BF nerfed them too much.

For Shermans, see the lists in Overlord. The Market Garden Shermans list for Guards, 11th Armoured and the Canadians are OK, but the Overlord list are better IMO since they can access a Breaching group to become Always Attack. Road to Rome has different Sherman lists, 6th Armoured and the South Africans for instance can take 76mm Shermans, and can mix in a few Fireflies and 105mm Shermans too.

Comets are too expensive to work on their own IMO and work best supporting other lists: Lorried Rifles, Armoured Cars or the SAS Squadron all can take 1-2 Comet platoons in support and this approach works much better than a Comet Squadron.

Which one of these would be best and/or most offensively british?

And how gimped are the Desert Rats? Something about Reluctant Veteran charms me (or possibly the masochist in me).

As a cromwell lover, I can elaborate on what this guy said. There are essentially 5 different Cromwell lists.

>Overlord: Desert Rats Armored and Armored Recce
The Desert Rats list is RV, has integrated fireflies/challengers, and can get a Breching Group to give them Always Attack. The Armored Recce (coming in Guards and generic flavors) list is CT and has no fancy options except that the cromwell platoons can Disengage and have Cautious Movement. Both have a bit more varied options on infantry and armored car support than the later lists, though the artillery is generally trained. Desert Rats is easily the better list, and used to be one of the top lists in the game back in V2.

>Market Garden: Guards Armored Recce and 11th Armored Recce
The two lists are almost identical. Both have basic Cromwell platoons with the option for a Challenger for AT work, and the support options are the same (and all CV, for both lists). Your support tanks can slap on Duckbills (wide tracks but slow tank), and your lorried infantry get a +3 save when riding on your tanks instead of the normal 5+. You can also get some American paratrooper support. The big differences are in the Recce options, Column Platoon, Luttrell's Platoon, if you've got the Guards re-roll, and the veterancy of your combat and weapons platoons.

For the Guards, your combat and weapons platoons are CV, and you re-roll company and platoon morale tests for those platoons (Combat, Weapons, and Brigade) that are Guards. You also get the Column platoon, which is an amazingly flexible platoon that you can choose to be Universal Carriers, 3" Mortars, or 6pdr guns when you deploy. You have Stuarts, UCs, and the Houshold Cav (armored cars that can disengage after shooting) for recce.

Cont...

Desert rats are pretty gud actually. They have Cautious Not Stupid which means if they weren't shot at last turn they get to reroll checks to unpin/unbail. Because they're RV they're a lot cheaper than standard, so just generally avoid a situation in which they have to take a Motivation test and you're golden. Take armoured artillery instead of field guns, they're unpinnable.

Reluctant Veteran is one of the better ratings in the game due to the discount it gives you, hell Reluctant in general is pretty solid if you can avoid taking checks, like having tank platoons of two tanks, like in the Jagdtiger list.

For the 11th armored (which is the 15th/19th Hussars), your combat and weapons platoons are CT. You can get Luttrell's Platoon, which is a platoon of 2-6 nicely cheap Cromwell CS tanks with a warrior who lets them re-roll the first range in attempt and re-roll tests to unbog within 6" of him. You have Stuart Jalopies, Universal Carriers, Dingoes/Humbers, and the Inns of Court (armored cars that re-roll failed Disengage tests) for recce.

Neither of the Market Garden lists is outright better than the other. 11th Armored you have more firepower and tanks on the table because you're cheaper, but the Guards are more reliable and flexible (if you DON'T take the Column Platoon with them, you're an idiot). Both are quite usable.

>Nachtjager
Only one Cromwell list here: B Squadron, 15th/19th Hussars. Everything is CV, and you lose some listbuilding options from the MG version (Luttrell is gone, as are the Inns, Motor/Pioneer infantry, Heavy Mortars, and Stuarts). However, you can now get Wasps to burn everything, and your Cromwells and Challengers have been split into their own platoons. This gives you some flexibility with your smoke, since you can now fire the Challenger platoon then use the Cromwell platoons for DFS the enemy. It's not hard to make an army that can be both this and the MG version of the list. You've still got the Lorried Rifle infantry and duckbill-optioned support.

Overall, pretty much all of them except the Armored Recce list from Overlord are usable.

They're still good. RV is a pretty powerful rating, because it's almost as cheap as CT, and the best defense against motivation tests is not getting hit in the first place. All your Cromwells and Challengers having Protected Ammo helps as well. They're just not as absurdly good as they used to be.

I know it's bad form to bump your own question, but fuck it. Does a Ausf D Stuka zu Fuss exist?

A bit of a dig through the online store doesn't give any indication of a D-version.

Although I think you might be able to order the little baggies of Stuka racks, so you might be able to use them with any Aus D halftracks you have.

Can't wait for the West Germans.

Brits or GTFO.

I always loved the Bo105.
So god damn cute.

Ha!

Brits are supposed to be next for Team Yankee after the Krauts.

I'm guessing probably right before Christmas.

Are flamethrowers worth it in a pioneer platoon?

Depends on the country and the size of the pioneer platoon.

I'd say "yes" more often than not - but it's important to know when those 'not' times are

depends on what you want the pioneers to do and what their platoon's size is. For example an assault pioneer platoon with SMG's will want them more than some rifle platoon defending a point

I think it's better with zvezda's pz 4 rather than BF ones as their tanks are without zimmerit, and romanian t4s are almost without shirzen as far as I googled.

How do you think about this?

Comparing Sextons to plain 25pdrs, why would I want to get the Sextons? Yeah, they're more mobile, but they cost significantly more points and they're really thinly armored. It honestly seems like they'd be more vulnerable to enemy fire than the guns alone.

OTOH, if that rifle pioneer platoon has to attack, they really, really want flame throwers.

It's a "meh" medium tank swarm, can't hold a candle to the med tank spam of the big 4. Issues: you're stuck with no AT over 11, no "anchor" tanks, no fun little quirks, no zoom moves, and all your tank squads are 3-strong, plus random ratings can and will fuck you every now and again.

Sextons are pretty trash TBPH, it's worth paying the points to make your artillery mobile when it has Breakthrough gun (Priests, Wespes) since that allows them to gain a secondary role. 25lbsers should say on their turntables, dug in, preferable in cover.

The large advantage of Sextons is that they can't be pinned. Unlike dismounted 25pdrs.

but they lose the 360 fire arc, work against you for mobile reserves, and cost sooo many more points.

>It's a "meh" medium tank swarm, can't hold a candle to the med tank spam of the big 4.

It's a fairly standard tank list with none of the bells and whistles of German or American tank lists.

That being said, the Panzer IV is certainly a solid medium tank. They'll hold their own against most other medium tanks, but will need side shots on any of the heavier stuff your opponent might bring.

>Issues: you're stuck with no AT over 11,

11 is not the best, but it will work. It'll do the job against the front armor of things like Shermans, other Panzer IVs, and T-34s. And it will do well against the side armor of Pershings, Panthers, or Tigers.

>no "anchor" tanks,

The lack of a Panther or Tiger is a downside, but not a crippling one.

Unless you come up against King Yigers or the like. Then you might be boned.

>no fun little quirks, no zoom moves

You don't need Jumbos Lead The Way, Detroit's Finest, or Stormtrooper to win with a tank list.

Yes they're nice to have, but you most certainly don't need them.

>all your tank squads are 3-strong

That is a bit of an issue, but if you're down to only one operational tank in a platoon, that platoon is probably boned anyway.

>plus random ratings can and will fuck you every now and again.

That's less of an issue with Elite than it is for the other categories for random Skill and Motivation.

Hey lads, so I noticed that battlefront makes a box of 4 plastic 251's, and also makes a box of 2 plastic 251's

the 4 costs $37, the 2 costs $15

is there any reason to buy the 4 box? As far as I can tell it's all the same sprues.

They come with AA MGs, which (combined with being tanks) makes them much more resistant to infantry assaults. It also gives them a greater resistance to enemy aircraft hitting your backfield, especially if you upgrade them to .50s. Your observers start as OP tanks (normally a 10pt upgrade), which gives them a machine gun and greater speed on the turns where you're using your AOP to direct fire.

If your meta is mostly infantry, Sextons provide some nice advantages for ~25% more points. If your meta is mostly armor, you might be better off with the base 25pdrs unless your opponents are really defensive (and the extra AT 9 shots would make a difference).

You get decals with the 4 box, but not with the 2 bo. Dunno if that's worth $7 to you, but that seems to be about it.

*Best Germans

The sexton also doesn't care about pinning.

Bids on the 25pdr KS seem to be slowing down.

Well, they are at almost 3 times their initial funding goal. I'd say that's not too shabby.

And there are 11 days left...

Yeah, I'm a bit worried we'll miss out on the sextons.

it looks to me like my FLGS is just not getting in tanks.

so, who here /tanks/?

My local club's been occupied by folks for footie so I haven't had much chance.

say that in 1985 and not online and see what happens

why not getting into a game that you only need the cards? although i think the game need better advertising.

Not him but are they selling the cards separate? Me and my group have all the tanks already.

I'm thinking about it. I follow FoW but never got into it (time, friends prefer board games, etc.). Tanks might make more sense for my schedule and gaming group.

Is there more to it than just driving around in circles shooting each other?

From what i know, no.

I thought I saw something up for pre-order on The War Store that makes me think they will eventually be releasing just the cards.

>so, who here /tanks/?
My FLGS only got two starters since demand seems to be way higher than expected, but I played a pair of test games using the owner's copy and some already-painted Sherman Vs and StuGs that we had on hand.

It plays nicely and I'll certainly be picking up a starter once my FLGS gets more in stock.
It'll probably become an excellent option as a quick half-hour filler game when we don't have time to play a "proper" battle in FoW or other systems.

>Not him but are they selling the cards separate? Me and my group have all the tanks already.
The starter kit contains cards for all the tanks in the first wave (including Brits and Soviets) and a ton of upgrades.
The only things not in there are nation-specific crew members for non-US and non-German nations.

>Is there more to it than just driving around in circles shooting each other?
Yup, very much so.
In our test games, both swift maneuvers while fighting on the move and stationary fire from a good position proved very useful.

Assuming you have a solid amount of terrain to allow maneuvers while still having some open lines of fire, there should be plenty of tactical options.

>The starter kit contains cards for all the tanks in the first wave (including Brits and Soviets) and a ton of upgrades.
What are all the tanks in the first wave? And how long till I have ny Cromwells and Challengers?

US: M4A3 (late), M4A3 (76mm), Pershing, Super Pershing.

Germans: StuG, Panzer IV, Panther, Jagdpanther.

Brits: Sherman V, Firefly, Cromwell, Comet.

Soviets: T-34/76, T-34/85, SU-85, SU-100, ISU-122, ISU-152, IS-85, IS-2.

Basically all the BF plastics, right?

Yup

Exactly.

Which one one hand is a very smart move.

On the other hand, the absence of the Tiger is a sin.

If I ever get so fat that I have to ride one of those fucking things, somebody please shoot me and put me out of my misery...

>tfw your average rascal is carrying more weight than your apc's

dont worry buddy, we live in MURRICA, I've got ya. even if my "arsenal" is considered one step below a Nuclear weapon as far as New York Law is concerned.

>spoilers
So you've got a rubber band?

Or a 2x4 with a nail in it?

no, he's got a penis

worse,

a polish single shot 22lr that was converted from a German Mauser. It looks big and scary though so theyd probably think it was an anti tank rifle

One day eagles I'll have to figure out a way to come up there and get a game in with you. Always wanted to fight a paratrooper army, Ive never seen one in person for some reason

>be polish
>don't like Russians Cuz communism
>don't like Nazis because fascism
>don't like brits because backstabbing fags
>don't like American because generic
>don't want to play poland because my army did more shit as a guerilla force than an actually army
What do?

Play infinity.

I hate myself

play Finland....alternatively Japan, those genocidal bastards deserve some love too

You could play the free Polish forces that fought for the Allies?

You can play the resistance, or at least the Warsaw Uprising bit of it.

Or canadians
Or hungarians
Or romanians
Or....I'm out of nations
Wait, greeks and netherlands and norwegians.