D100

What is the best d100 system you've seen?

Other urls found in this thread:

drivethrurpg.com/product/82093/Basic-Roleplaying-Quickstart-Edition?filters=0_0_44290_0_0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anything based on BRP
Next question

BRP? What is that?

Basic Roleplaying

It includes venerable systems like Runequest and Call of Cthulhu, along with a generic version

Why is it the best? Do yo have a link to OGL content?

Under the systems that are part of it, it has very comprehensive mechanics and a skill system that actually makes sense. The core system is just D100 role under with percentages, making your chances of success very obvious for most tasks. The system never was under OGL or anything similar, so go look at the PDF thread if you want to download it. In the end while 3.5/PF/D20 enjoys being under that license, it is shit and you get what you pay for when you can play it for free.

It's also exactly what it says in the title. If you want to run a setting without much crazy shit going on that you need special rules for, then Basic Role Playing is as Basic as it gets and usually your best bet.

Ok, well could you describe the core mechanics then? When is a d100 called for? What is it evaluated against? How does the GM determine that evaluation? How does the character derive related statistics to augment the result of the roll?

Not that user but DriveThru has a free quickstart PDF

drivethrurpg.com/product/82093/Basic-Roleplaying-Quickstart-Edition?filters=0_0_44290_0_0

As for d100, it's the basic skill resolution mechanic and is used against named skills like Stealth or Fast-Talk. You roll your d100 equal to or less than the Skill number to succeed.

RuneQuest6 - which is based on BRP - has things like degrees of success and there are difficulty modifiers (I'm assuming BRP has the same/similar mechanics but I don't know for certain).

For difficulty modifiers it's things like adding/subtracting 20 to the Skill Test based on ease/difficulty of the task being attempted.

Unknown Armies

None. d100 combines the swing of a single die with a ton of useless granularity with no context.d100 is the standard crutch for shitty game designers and homeberewers (after d20 of course) and the systems that use it are universally shit.

Yes it was.

Mongoose released rune quest 4e (just called rune quest) under the oil, and as a result, there are several ogl spin offs of rune quest these days, such as open quest.

Butthurt much?

It's fairly low powered, and has lots of well written settings. RQ6 combat is pretty good, guilds and empires are really useful.

But personally I'm more likely to convert brp/d100/rq stuff to GURPS than use it as is.

And what system satisfies your shit taste?

40k RP games.

Rolemaster.

Everything else is child's play.

>Pretending role master is good.
You're a funny guy. It's basically a crappy version of stormbringer with a bloated skill list, God awful overcomplicated random chargen and advancement, a crappy "locked in your character class forever" mechanic, and lots of superfluous tables for attack types.

The race+ career+ culture idea Is kindof near though, as is the really simple and creative magic.

I wouldn't advise running storm bringer either. Id suggest cribbing mechanics from an and using them in oq, rq6, or legend

If you can't handle it, go play Stormbringer. It will just sit there being better then you can handle.

I handled it just fine. That doesn't make it a good system, or make it a system I would actually *want* to play. But even bad systems often have some good ideas.

I quite enjoyed arcane magic.

But cribbing the good aspects for use in a better system is a better idea than playing with it in the crappy system.

Come to think of it, HARN might fix most of my gripes with RM, while still being compatible enough to use RM stuff with it.

I've only skimmed HARN though.