MtG RPG

So, I designed a Magic: the Gathering roleplaying game for my group.

What does Veeky Forums think of my setup for character creation and what suggestions do any of you have?

Character Creation:
docs.google.com/document/d/10KVQu72fwEF7lJBydCRYSvFlu9cOqLXrUbN9lC2yVDY

Character Sheet:
docs.google.com/document/d/10tf0vfScYah5ls_38eV5OQpJ3Bvvz8Pdzi0Oup6whpM

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj8zcGYuLrNAhUKlR4KHbbKBEMQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNFOPA67OlKl3aNF5wzUfe0PAVU9ng&sig2=znAmgH6UFiBddUfQl7fV3g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's been done a thousand times before, and not one has been decent. Don't try and make a completely new system, use one that already exists.

Mutants and Masterminds is great for it.

Did you read my setup or are you just saying it in general?

Because if you haven't read it, I would like some input on it. I don't mind if someone thinks it's trash or not, but I would like to know what aspects of it that people don't like.

Also, I didn't want to make it overly complicated.

Bumping and reading in the spirit of not being a humbug.

Why thank you, user.

Do you cast actual Mtg spells?

Nvm see the skills thingy. Some explanation on the magic system in general would be good.Seems really really loose good start but all this explains is where all of this goes but not what any of it does.

Huh. Looks neat but kind of bare bones. What are the rules for casting, melee combat, summoning, etc. Is there an action economy? Mana pool?

Reminds me vaguely of the old /4th/ project:
1d4chan.org/wiki/Magic:_the_Gathering_RPG

Yes, it utilizes actual mtg spells. I forgot to add that a spell can only be used once a round.

All skills give +1 to rolls per rank you have.

Official D&D 5e Zendikar Supplement
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://media.wizards.com/2016/downloads/magic/Plane%20Shift%20Zendikar.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwj8zcGYuLrNAhUKlR4KHbbKBEMQFggfMAE&usg=AFQjCNFOPA67OlKl3aNF5wzUfe0PAVU9ng&sig2=znAmgH6UFiBddUfQl7fV3g

Cool beans well I think it's a great start.
This also may help in the endeavor since it's in the same vain. Be glad to see any progress ya make broseph! Started a red mage for shits and gigs.

What are the actual rolls though?
Give me an example here. Say I want to cast lightning bolt. Explain what I need to be able to do so and what the end result is dependent upon.

Or how about a more complicated effect like playing giant growth on myself. Or is this a yugioh duels kind of rules where only creature summons get to attack?

Oh jesus I thought they had sworn off doing that.

Your actions are equal to your initiative.

Casting takes actions and costs 1 action for every 2CMC in a card. Skills in Specialized Magic increase usage of those spells to 1 action for every 3CMC in a card instead of 2CMC.

Combat and Performed Actions are rolled with 2d6. Natural 2 is an automatic fail. Natural 12 is an automatic succeed. An attack of of natural 13 cannot be defended against. A successful cast in cast instantly. A failed cast is cast your next turn.

There is no mana pool.

And describe "action economy"?

We all did, user. Even more surprising is that they released it as free content even if it is just essentially "how to refluff d&d to be like MtG".

Anyone know what happened to the Ravnica homebrew from a while back? There may have been a couple of them if I recall.

How do instant and sorcery speed work then? Can you save initiative to respond to another cast during someone else's turn?

*1 action for every 1CMC in a card

If you find it post that shit dog. I would play the tits off a ravnica game.

Alright, if you want to Cast Lightning Bolt, you use one action (you can cast two 1CMC spells for one action if available). Then Lightning Bolt cannot be cast again until your next turn. You roll 2d6 and try to get above 6. Your ACV and skills can modify this roll. If you fail this roll, the spell is suspended until te start of your next turn. If you succeed, the opponent has to make a DCV roll. If they succeed, the spell does half. If they fail, the spell does full damage. This applies for basic attacks as well. Damage is equal to your ACV.

You can cast buffs, auras, and so forth onto Planeswalkers. Think of Gideon becoming a creature. Planeswalkers cannot be "destroyed, sacrifced, or exiled". A Planeswalker only dies when their HP reaches 0 or less.

Instants can be cast on other players turns if you have Initiative remaining.

I'm debating if 1 action should be equal 1CMC or 2CMC. Any suggestions?

The problem with making it 2 CMC is you lose granularity. You can't easily distinguish between casting a 3 cost spell and a 4 cost spell and it changes the balance to make odd costed spells worse since now they cost the same as a spell with 1 more CMC.

Very true. I'll leave it as 1 action per each 1CMC.

Man, I used to be in love with this home brew but now it just reads like an over complicated mess to me. It just shows how ambitious is to try to encompass every rule in Magic and translate it to a tabletop. The game mechanics are just bloated from years of releases. You're probably better off just making a "core set" rules and pushing the rest into an expansion supplement.

I updated the Character Creation page.

Is that image like a Mtg alignment wheel?

Easentially, in so far as magic has alignments. The wheel represents general philosophies held by the various colors both in card mechanics and lore.

Neat ever try and use it in a game before? I like it.

How familiar are you with magic exactly? Are you fairly new? Or have you been playing for a very long time?

Is that Urza's floating head?

It is Urza's head. But, I believe it's just sitting on the table.

>playing poker with Jace
There is approximately a zero percent chance he isn't cheating.