Programming

Have any of you guys tried programming? Do you have to have a very high IQ in order to be a good programmer? I feel like slow thinkers like me I have a lot of trouble solving coins questions.

Programming is literally taking a big problem and dividing it into smaller chunks until even a brainlet can understand it.

The hardest part is dividing the problem into reasonable sub problems.

Do you speak any other language besides your mother language? Was it hard to learn a new language? There is your answer.

If your IQ is above 110 you'll be fine.
Could try a myer briggs test (in before pseudoscience), just to see if you're T and not F. The closer you're to T, the more likely you'll enjoy it.

>Programming is literally taking a big problem and dividing it into smaller chunks until even a brainlet can understand it.
Damnnn going to use this when explaining it in the future. Best laymans term ive heard so far.

i'm a (real) programmer by profession
ama anything i guess

Does it get boring sitting in a cubicle coding every day?

Life's too short. If you want to learn an excruciatingly dull, unnecessarily overcomplicated language, just learn German.

Anything worth doing takes time to learn how to do.

what programing language you use the most i study cs on 2 year and have done c c++ java python what would be useful to master ?

good description user

OP, you can think of a computer program like a "black box" of sorts: you can't see inside the box, you don't know what's in the box, but you know that you can put something into the box (input), and something happens inside the box, and then you get what you want out of the box (desired output).

So you start by knowing what kind of input your program will receive, and what kind of output you expect. Then you begin implementing, breaking your program down into a series of smaller "black boxes" (functions/methods).

Functions/methods are just chunks of code that perform specific tasks and can be reused in your code at any time without having to copy/paste; you just have to call them. And functions/methods allow you to break things down into smaller and smaller tasks until you have a simple and easy-to-understand implementation.

What I find most helpful when designing functions is this: Each function only does one thing, and it does that one thing well, vs. doing multiple things in a mediocre fashion and opening the door to disorganization, clutter, and bugs. Additionally, I write the functions in such a way that I expect the output of each function to be the input of another function. Meaning, I treat the functions like "black boxes"-- When I'm writing a function, I can call another function, without thinking about what code is actually in that function, just thinking about "if I send this input to this function I will get this output." You can even do this to call functions that you haven't even written yet. It helps you to organize better without getting distracted.

Wow this is a great way to think about it

no, i enjoy being isolated from the workplace
im not in my cubicle as much as i would like though, most of my time is spent in an electronics kind of lab
i do mostly low-level implementations on embedded platforms (think e.g. drivers) but also dabble in signal processing of sensor data

i do Embedded C (and C of course), C++, VHDL, and Assembly, out of which I use C/Embedded the most followed by Assembly
choice of language really depends on what you would like to do, C and C++ are good languages to master because there's a lot of jobs for those, same goes for python

>OP, you can think of a computer program like a "black box" of sorts: you can't see inside the box, you don't know what's in the box, but you know that you can put something into the box (input), and something happens inside the box, and then you get what you want out of the box (desired output).
literally the worst way to go about it desu
i'd say a good grasp on the fundamentals of computation and low-level arithmetics is really rewarding as a programmer, even if you do high-level programming or even meme-tier programming like front-end or webdev

>Each function only does one thing
I'm a beginner and the problem I have is exactly this.
I have problems clearly defining what a function will do and on relatively larger projects I find I take shortcuts and make functions/methods that do several things which is just a headache later on
Thanks for the insight I'll keep it in mind

Nice

Good programming is more about good system design rather than the language and your coding skills. Anyone can become a programmer but a good programmer is able to think about scalable and flexible ways of designing a system.

>assembly

Ma niggah

Anyone do crypto/blockchain programming? Thinking of learning this shit and becoming a contractor for Decred. Basically find something on github that needs to be done, do it and submit a pull request, then they'll hire you if you did good work.

go all-in C++17

I work with programming and I dont understand this crypto shit, I just invest and see my money go up.

You dont have to have a high IQ to get it, but there is a efficiency factor involved as in everything.

The slowest worker works at 1x pace while the fastest at 30x.
You got your autists that write very fast, and you got your autists that have to do everything perfect and write really slow.

Im a introverted regular guy (I have a gf, bow before me) and Im about medium in pace I guess. Dont love math but like creating stuff.

Programming is as with everything about repetition and stuying. Always study new things and keeping up to date with the profession.

Also be wary of embedded people, they are 100% autistic, they will glorify c and c++, just look at /g/.

>Also be wary of embedded people, they are 100% autistic, they will glorify c and c++, just look at /g/.
the true embedded autist resents c++ and glorifies C and Assembly
be wary of the high-level autist for he glorofies meme languages like Go and Rust

got a degree from uni in sftwr engring.

worth it.

it doesn't help with solving coin questions. That's t.a