/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>June 2016 Survey
dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/june-2016-dd-survey

Old thread:How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OGPgRHqUJwQ&t=1m17s
youtube.com/watch?v=6HyNydVIji4
youtube.com/watch?v=a9y4zFEr0V8
youtube.com/watch?v=kjD62r9einQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IPD4Ae-Zv_Y
youtube.com/watch?v=1_9IMZcbKHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>285 Replies
>New Thread.
Little trigger happy? Or just tired of the stupidity?

You can't escape the stupidity.

>How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?

Here's an extremely long pic-related wall of text to explain what amounts to "magic is interesting and exciting!"

Admittedly, it was for a 3.5 game that fell apart, but I'm probably going to use the same general character concept for a 5e game soon.

>old thread not even auto sageing yet
ah well

I need to provide the most utility possible. How do I do this? I need advice. It's going to be at level 10.

I was thinking wizard but am unsure.

B A R D
A
R
D

Are they more utility than wizard? If so how? I know they have more skills, but less spells.

One day he looked across the sorghum fields his family had been working since the days of the great migration and said to himself "fuck this honest work shit, I'm gonna go hook up with some of them tomb-robbing sell-swords and get me a bunch of gold and glory!"

eh its a toss up. depends on what your party needs, really. if you have other party face/healer/skill guys then wizard, but if your party is all fighters bard might be helpful.

This is seriously going to depend on the make-up of your party. No healers? A cleric is probably going to be the most useful to them. Already got all the bases covered? Go Bard so they can cover them harder.

Finally succeeded in killing my master, and now I wander the land in search of my own death

So in order to make the Big Bad vulnerable and break his magical protection. the party has to travel around the country and collects bones and assemble a skelly and fight it.

What should it be a skeleton of?

party is a level 6 party of 4

lore bard
frenzy barbarian
arcane trickster
tempest cleric

Variant Human (Skilled) - 4 skills
Background - 2 more skills
Rogue 2 - 4 more skills + expertise, cunning action
Warlock 2 (EB + agonizing blast for all you need for combat, Beguiling Influence for 2 more skills)
Knowledge Cleric 1 - 2 more with expertise, grab medium armor and a shield
Lore Bard 3 - 4 more skills, jack of all trades, expertise
Ranger 1 - 1 more skill

All 18 skill proficiencies (6 with expertise), medium armor and a shield for AC, EB + Hex leaves you set for combat. Go lore bard 4, then rogue 4, then warlock 4 to grab some ASIs if it suits you. Drop that level in ranger if you don't want all of the skill proficiencies.

Point buy after racials: 10 14 10 10 14 16

First few levels would be rough but you'd be good in combat by 4th if you stay at range, and by 5th you'd have your AC up there as well.

The real challenge is trying to explain why you're a thieving bastard in a pact with some otherworldly being while also worshiping a god of knowledge to the point of gaining power from them personally, while also learning the magic of song and story and hunting in the wilderness.

variant human with the magic initiate feat and a undying tomelock and a noble (retainers) background

Congratulations, you're a blood knight

I dunno. Someone with on a truly indiscriminate quest for knowledge who's willing to literally try anything once sounds like it could be fun to play

*The bones of a legendary hero that defeated the big bad in ages past
*The bones of an ancient metallic gold dragon that promised it would return when its protectorate needed it most.
*a powerful spirit or demon capable of defeating the big bad but creates its own set of problems
*The bones are an ingredient for a ritual that would summon/brew up an item capable of striking down the villain
*the bones are actually pieces of an ancient iron giant that the party can use to smash the villain, his fortress, and his army of mooks while enjoying the luxury of a cool leather interior.

Might have lost track of the original idea, but hey.

My warlock was a noble of a vampiress's court and they became lovers, but in the twisted vampire way. She fed him her blood and now they're bonded and he's gaining more dark magics as her blood corrupts his. He's now in a new land and although he travels with a group of adventurer's, his loyalties lie with her via the subconscious bond she has over his mind. It's been fun to roleplay so far.

>playing a d6-1 hitdie character at level 1
They'll never expect it when I spontaneously DIE

I hope you don't get hit once by a goblin

make friends with the cleric.

youtube.com/watch?v=OGPgRHqUJwQ&t=1m17s

i want to play a bard but i know nothing about musical instruments. what instrument should i use Veeky Forums?

>this flute seems kinda neat
youtube.com/watch?v=6HyNydVIji4
>bagpipes?
youtube.com/watch?v=a9y4zFEr0V8
>violin?
youtube.com/watch?v=kjD62r9einQ
>drums?
youtube.com/watch?v=IPD4Ae-Zv_Y
>sax?
youtube.com/watch?v=1_9IMZcbKHQ
>banjo?
youtube.com/watch?v=myhnAZFR1po

something else i dont know?

Do creatures know when they're under the effects of spells?
Do they know what spell it is and how it works?
Should the Orc I cast Booming Blade on know that he will take damage if he moves, so he switches to ranged?

Will WotC release pdf versions of their books for D&D?

If you start with 5 HP, there's not much there to heal. The Cleric won't have revivify and taking 10 damage instantly kills, or 6 damage if at 1 HP.

This'll pretty much be like XCOM with new, unarmoured recruits.

5e allows me to play a sea themed druid?

Whatever you want. My bard didn't really play an instrument. He'd tell stories, ding or just orate instead.Talk with your DM.

The druid in my current campaign has the sailor background, wants to be own a ship, and his most used form is giant octopus.

What do I run after Princes of the Apocalypse?

Ia mobile any good for a Monk or Archer?

Arguably mandatory for a fist monk, handy for the other archetypes.
Okay for an archer, good for shooting, taking cover, repeat.

There is a land Druid option to pick coast, which what I took when I played one.

who /redbrands/ here?

Dont monks already come with speed boosts? They can just jump over tough terrain and balance.

Who picks Mobile for the speed boost?
The free disengage is the real winner.

How to roll up a 5e Mad Jack?

Barb/Bard?

OotA is good. You'll have to up blockstats and enemy numbers left and right, but desu starting an underdark campaign with lvl1 isn't very "realistic"

I don't think that they will. When I look at my collection of pristine 4e PDFs I kinda understand why.
The books are worth buying though!

yes

So how would one go about making a 5e game based on the hyperborian age, drawing inspiration from Conan the barbarians?

DMG pp. 38

>Player makes deal with a devil for a badass sword
>Basically a slightly toned down vorpal sword
>When he kills something with it the beings true name appears somewhere on his body as a tattoo
>What he hasn't realized yet is that it also forces the creatures soul to become a wrathful spirit that cannot rest until he is dead

Did I do this right? He got a legendary magic weapon that has a downside which will eventually bite him in the ass.

what monster

Wraith

well where do they appear

but yah cool

Would it be a terrible idea to give Warlocks an invocation that lets them cast Misty Step at will?

I seem to remember them getting a similar ability in 4e and it would really fit a character concept one of my players is making. Plus, there's precedent in other invocations letting you cast 2nd level spells at will, mostly available at 9th level, and a 30ft teleport every round in exchange for your bonus action isn't terribly broken I don't think. Alright, having typed this I've just convinced myself to allow it, but what's your opinion /5eg/?

I'll write up vessel shortly. Just so you know it will probably be vaguely inspired by the Binder class from 3.

Well the soul is trapped in torment on the astral plane where the creature was killed. Roughly three days after that it emerges into the prime material still filled with that same agony. After that it has few memories of its previous life but it knows that it can end its torment by killing the creature that killed it. The wraiths can vaguely sense the direction of where he is at any time.

Oh I also forgot to mention that when he kills a wraith formed from the sword the name is removed from his body and the devil that gave him the sword claims the soul.

I wouldn't, that's ridiculously strong, and IIRC all the at-will warlock invocations are 1st level

They get Levitate and Alter Self, which are 2nd level, although those are both more for out of combat utility.

Perhaps if I made it cost their movement, or just made it give them a 30ft teleport speed rather than involving Misty Step?

Piano obviosly.

Feats goid fir a monk? Sentinel any good?

Getting Dex and Wis to 20 may be boring, but it's better than any other option. Do that first.

I'd say it'd work, but I'd give it a high level requirement. As user said, at will is strong, and Alter Self only becomes available once you hit 15th level.

>How did your character transition from their background to their class? What was the kindling that started the fire?
Actually the entire concept for my current character came from me mashing up odd background/class combinations. The one in particular I settled on was criminal > warlock. Although I have a sailor > monk concept waiting for my next character.

As for the transition: essentially a young street tough, with an absent father figure, doing enforcement work for a local gang, mostly out of boredom and a desire for adventure, ended up getting in too deep. The result of this was getting first his mother and then himself killed concrete shoes/"sleeping with the fishes" style. The mother dying under the sea served as a catalyst to provoke the attention a chaotic elder god who had the sea spit out the enforcer, before he drowned, and gave the magic powers to pursue vengeance; mostly for shits and giggles to see how much the unhinged criminal would tear things apart.

At this point the ex-enforcer reasons for adventuring are two-fold. To train for vengeance and the money. The idea being he's playing off his criminal appearance/history as a front for why he's compulsively hoarding money whilst he's actually doing so to buy a resurrection spell for his mother.

I mean Im variant human so I start with one

Can a druid have a spouse and children?

I like mobility.

No, impossible by RAW

If they cant than my druid is doin it wrong. He has two kids and his wife cooks for the rest of the party in camp.

Raw, only if the spouse is a beast or plant.

coastal druid transforming to dolphin

My character for an upcoming game is an outlander fighter/rogue

He was kidnapped by a dao at age 7 because an earth genasi wanted a son and wished for it without realizing the child would be taken from someone else. He grew up resenting how the weak could simply have stuff taken by the strong so he trained himself to be peerless with a weapon (battlemaster), or even without one (tavern brawler) and eventually murdered his adoptive parents and formed a band of desert raiders (rogue) out of hatred, not realizing he had become what he hated.
Eventually his band's secret hideout was discovered and all his men killed by a combination of their own foolishness and the cleverness of a slave girl who drowned them in oil while they were trying to eliminate the man who found them out. Mortally wounded by the woman, he managed to live with a grievous injury that left him with a weak heart, but decided to leave the desert and make his fortune as a wandering mercenary (outlander).

Does anyone have any non-shit homebrew Eldritch Invocations?
The base list is pretty small.

Pact of the Vessel
Your Patron grants you the priveledge of bearing a personal vestige of their own essence, making you something both more and less than mortal. An avatar of your Patron resides within your own mind, shielding you from harm or granting you the use of their great knowledge. When you complete a short rest or long rest you may also choose an investiture from the following list:
-You gain a skill or tool proficiency of your choice.
-You have advantage on Perception checks.
-You gain proficiency with Wisdom saves.
-You are immune to the Charmed condition.

Invocations:
Utterance of the Unbound (prerequisite Pact of the Vessel, 5th level)
The spirit which inhabits the hollow within your soul can now extend beyond your own body. As an action you may call upon your Patron's avatar to come forth. Doing so immediately ends any ongoing effects granted by your spirit and you cannot call it forth again until you complete a short or long rest. Calling forth the spirit has one of the following effects:
-You may cast Spirit Guardians without expending a spell slot. This spell does not require concentration.
-You create an Unseen Servant as the spell, but it has attributes equal to your own and all proficiencies you have. It cannot attack or cast spells but it can use the help, dash, disengage, and use item actions.
-You may cast a spell from you bonus spells granted by your Patron without expending a spell slot.
-You may immediately regain the use of one of your features granted by your Patron as though you had completed a short rest.

Apotheosis (prerequisite Pact of the Vessel, 11th level)
Your Patron's avatar and you have shared a soul for so long that you have begun to resemble each other, becoming a single unified whole. You may now pick two investitures from your Avatar and can change one or both as a bonus action.
Additinally, you may now pick from the following greater investitures:
-You have resistance to damage from spells
-At the start of each of your turns you regain 2 hitpoints if you have no more than half your hitpoints left.
-You gain a natural weapon of your choice. You may have it deal 1d6 damage with 10ft reach, 1d8 damage with the finesse property, 1d10 damage after moving at least 20 feet in a straight line towards your target, or 1d12 damage with the Two-Handed property. You gain proficiency with it and it is treated as a magic +1 weapon.
-You gain a fly speed of 30ft

Hmm... That bonus action swap ability is too strong. And potentially allows you to have every skill proficiency on demand. I'm going to say that clause should be dropped entirely. And probably limited to only one of the Greater Investitures when picking two.

Mobile is the biggest, Defensive Duelist if you pick a finesse weapon as your starting weapon is good. Observant and taking a +1 wisdom is good cause your passive perception becomes insane.

>Do creatures know when they're under the effects of spells?
It depends on the spell. Read the description, and if that's not clear, ask your DM.
>Do they know what spell it is and how it works?
Depends on the spell. Read the description and if that leaves it unclear, ask your DM.
>Should the Orc I cast Booming Blade on know that he will take damage if he moves, so he switches to ranged?
Probably, but ask your DM. He might even know he'll take damage if he moves but move anyway.

>The free disengage is the real winner.
It's an upgrade on Open Hand's Flurry that denies reactions (don't have to hit, or flurry), but it's not clear if it's worth it over the stat boost. Shadow can teleport in/out, or dart in and out freely under Darkness, but neither of those gets used much. So it's probably most noticeable for way of shadow.

Nobody plays 4Elements, Sun Souls have ranged attacks, and Long Deaths don't need to run away as much.

I'm working on a homebrew fighter archetype, and while it's pretty well underway, I'm just not sure about one of the 3rd level features.

The meat of it is:
>While you are wielding [certain weapons], you can choose to make a leaping strike. You can make a single melee weapon attack during a jump, but this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.
There's a little more, but I'm concerned because this sounds like something a DM might rule to allow anyway, at least at higher levels. I don't want to give the fighter a class feature that takes options away from other fighters or other classes, you know? None of that Rumormonger BS.

I could give it some extra benefits like the no-OAs thing and maybe dealing extra damage, but I still feel like I can't get rid of the implication that the base jump-attack ability is something you can't do without this feature's permission. Am I overthinking it? Is there a better way to phrase it? Or should I just try to come up with a different feature?

I'm looking into running an Eberron campaign, the first foray into the setting for them or me. Of course, it seems like Artificers are absolutely vital, and Investigators are a good thing to have handy as well. Are the UAs the best options for these? How might I tweak them to improve them? Or are there homebrews that do it better? I know I've seen the Machinist class around (I think it's one of Walrock's?) but that seems explicitly about more grounded technology and would require some bending to fit into an Artificer's role.

You should just have it so they can only make one attack, but get to move without provoking opportunity attacks. Then add a damage bonus to it at higher levels when they're giving up more attacks to use it.

look up Primeval Thule campaign setting

The Artificer subclass is a better fit for an Alchemist sort of wizard, rather than someone more mechanical like your might be looking for. I haven't seen any homebrew, but I think it'd require some redesign from the ground up.

There's an artificer in Eberron UA article. It's a wizard subclass that doesn't resemble original artificer in any form. Even WotC admits it was a bad idea. For investigators, there's Inquisitive rogue article in one of the more recent (April?) UA

I like 5e so far but I'm not to fond of the world I'm playing in atm. The DM is new so I'm cutting him some slack but he doesn't seem to be improving

Definitely banjo.

How about changing the phrasing in a way that implies you can do part of it normally. Like:
>When you attack after jumping at least 10 feet...
Or just make it a specific action that clearly adds a jump (that doesn't count against your normal movement) with an attack.

He's the DM he gets to pick what you guys do, thankfully there is a solution.

DM yourself.

The UA artificer is fine. And WOTC didn't "admit it was a bad idea," they acknowledged that the surveys show people would prefer something else. There's really nothing wrong with the UA artificer, it's just kind of a minimum effort adaptation. You'll notice that quite a few previous classes have been turned into subclasses in 5e as part of it's desire to be more streamlined. Making artificers a wizard subclass makes a lot of sense from that standpoint. It is mechanically quite different, since the old artificer was much much closer to a cleric than a wizard, but different doesn't mean worse.
Keith Baker, the creator of eberron, has posted a more cleric-like artificer homebrew on his blog, if you're interested.

Personally, I don't mind the mechanical change, but I do have a slight objection to the subclass on fluff grounds. Fluff-wise, artificers are technically not casters. They make and use magic items but they don't cast spells, except for infusions, which aren't really normal spells. So making them a wizard subclass doesn't really represent the fluff very well. Of course, you can easily just refluff their casting as them using a bunch of wands that they can reset and recharge daily.

I plan on it if he doesn't start improving

What's the best way to run a sort of Zombie Apocalypse game in 5e?

That's kinda what I got so far. So I could just rephrase it like this, maybe?
>As an action, you can jump up to your maximum jumping length or height without provoking opportunity attacks. If you are wielding [certain weapons], you can make a single melee weapon attack during this jump as part of the same action.
And then the extra damage bit.

Is it okay for dead characters to return?

My DM informed me last session that, short for a godly roll, my necromancer would most likely die a horrible death at the hands of an evil lich's sentient journal, which was in my possession.

Thing is I kinda like the character, and I would like to keep it. I realize that it's his game, but I would really appreciate someway to keep playing him. So far here are the alternatives I thought up:

>He is rezzed by whatever reason, sees the error of his ways and converts to religion, returning as a faithful Cleric.
>He refuses to die, and bargains with a demon to come back to life, becoming a Warlock instead.
>He did die but the book brought him back to life. Sometimes he is himself, sometimes the book speaks through him, and his influence seems to be growing with each day. Still the same, exact character.

Any other ideas? Would you allow this in your game?

Yeah. That works better. I don't think there's much danger of people thinking that only this class can jump and attack.

The damage bonus would need to be pretty hefty. Maybe an extra d8 for every attack you're giving up?

Quick question. what kind of duration would you put on the following ability? consecutive wisdom saves until the target succeeds or...?

Eldritch Disruption
Beginning at 10th level, you can use an action to disrupt the magical energies of a single target within 60 feet. That target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your shadowcaster spell save DC. If the target fails its saving throw, it recieves a -2 penalty to its spellcasting ability, spell DC's, and spell attacks. You gain a +2 bonus to your spellcasting ability, your spell's DC's, and spell attacks. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

I think a Minute with concentration, and giving them a save each turn, but change it to advantage and disadvantage instead.

1d6 at 5th level, 2d6 at 11th, and 3d6 at 17th, as I have it now. They've still got the option to full attack if they want to, this lets them sacrifice pure damage for mobility.

How's this?

Eldritch Disruption
Beginning at 10th level, you can use an action to disrupt the magical energies of a single target within 60 feet. That target must make a Wisdom saving throw against your shadowcaster spell save DC. On a failed save, for 1 minute or until your concentration is broken (as if you were concentrating on a spell), it recieves disadvantage on its spellcasting ability checks, spell save DC's, and spell attacks for 1 minute. You gain advantage on your spellcasting ability checks, your spell save DC's, and spell attacks. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

Well, you can't have advantage on your spell save DCs.

DMing Curse Of Strahd here. The evil Paladin in the party just challenged Izek to a duel for his position in the town's guard. The burgomeister was amused and gave permission, and Izek gladly accepted it. How fucked is he?

>picking a Land druid when Moon druid is a thing

It's like you WANT shit stats

What's the best fighter? Champion, Battlemaster, or Eldritch Knight?

Battlemaster overall and EK at higher levels imo.

Battlemaster. Champion outdamages it slightly but Battlemaster has more utility and is more fun

that depends on the GM and setting. In CoS, dead characters can be ressed if they accept a gift from Dark Powers. In Eberron, raising dead is hard (you may call the wrong soul, end up possesed by a ghost or demon, go crazy or summon a bunch of incorporeal undead). In FR, all you need is a high enough cleric (commonplace) and 500+ gp.

Anyway, if you're afraid of lich's journal, stab it with basilisk's tooth. Worked for Harry Potter

hey guys,
anyone have a good/better idea to impliment a gladiator/hoplite class into 5e?
(better than using barb/fighter with entertainer feat)
tyvm

Play a battle master fighter.

Battle Master gets to choose when to apply its damage as opposed to the Champion being a random chance for higher damage. You're not wrong, but the Battle Master's tactical application of damage with rider effects can be more effective.

Is this a little too much for a baddie I'm planning for my party:

I'd make him a half-orc frenzy barb with a two level dip in fighter. I'd plan to have him at some point run up to a PC and try to shove them prone and when he gets them down to attack them with advantage (total of 1 or 2 attacks because of frenzy and however many shove attempts it takes) and then have him action surge and attack the prone player three more times with advantage.

There's a 34% chance I'd crit at least once with four attacks and a 40% chance to crit with 5 attacks. With brutal critical from being a half-orc and a frezy barb I'd feel like that would completely annihilate whoever I did this to.

He's going to be one of the generals for my BBEG so I want him to be a real challenge. Thoughts?