Am i being a "That Guy"?

So, recently my GM nas asked me and my group to build new characters after we ended the last campaign in a TPK that also took an entire kingdom. So i decided to make my new character a former torture technician from said destroyed kingdom that had a change of heart and became a cleric after said destruction. The problem is: my character is really, really weak. I say it's on purpose, since this guy was never meant to be a cleric. But my friend said i should at least choose some better feats so he could at least survive and be useful to the party, even though i said i'm not going to chance. Am i being a "That Guy" by refusing to change my character to be more "useful"?

Yeah man. Remember, it's a group activity. Surely you're not so stupid that you can't think of a way to make a more interesting character while making them a bit useful.

Depends on the group mentality. If the rest of the group is powergaming to some extent and you've got a purposefully weak cleric, everyone will be annoyed. Maybe ask others players what they think of the idea, and be open to them saying they'd prefer if you didn't.

Hmm. Maybe, if he was a maniac sadist surgeon instead of torturer, you could fluff more powerful stuff for him

Define "weak", because being a weak cleric is an accomplishment unless you just mean physically weak - which is fine.

I think your friend might be the That Guy, for wanting you to change your character idea to fit his view how the game should be played better.

Assuming 3.5 any cleric no matter how gimped is still going to be better than a similar level fighter, so tell him it's fine. The only way he might be actually be bad is if your wisdom is so low that you can't cast spells at all, even if it's only like 11 or 12 that's enough until you can get some wisdom boosting items and eventually dump some points into it as you level which will edge you up to 19 by endgame which is enough, just focus on buffs and healing as opposed to offensive spells because your DCs will be crap.

i useually prioritce roleplaying and haveing a character thats isent a powerhouse unless that was needed to make sure the character makes sense, i think they are just trying to make sure you powerhouse because they want to powerhouse as the other anons said, i really like the sound of your character

i forgot to spell check before posting i hope you all understand anyways

See >Remember, it's a group activity.
That being said, how weak are we talking here? Wisdom so low that he can't cast 3rd level spells? Because if you're gimping a caster to the point that he can't cast, you're just forcing the rest of the group to put up with a character whose sole function within the party is leeching.

i overlooked the possibility of making the character so weak, im this guy this needs to be known for an actual answer

A torturer needs to know how the human mind and body works, user. After he became a healer, he still works with the same thing - although with completely backwards procedure. So, it makes sense that your guy knows how to heal.

OP here. You guys make a fair point about being a group activity. And it's 3.5 with some house rules (No Spells above level 7 ones, for an example). My character has 13 Wis, with Int and Dex being his main stats (We made Torture as a skill which uses both). The thing is, in our games 3rd level spells are only unlocked when you reach level 7. We are only level 5, so i think that maybe i'll be screwing them making this character.

This. He is now a WIS monster.

He knows all about the limits and inner working of the human body, having had the rare opportunity to study the insides of ones that are still working and taken copious notes.

He knows all about human needs, and desires and longings.

What changed about him? Who knows. But now he can't sleep for what he sees at night and it sickens him to the core.

Maybe it's a message from his God that he is not without possibility of redemption.

Have him believe and believe hard. The sort of person who works tirelessly and allows themselves no luxuries.

There is literally no reason to play a cleric who can't actually cast any spells beyond 1st level garbage. Consider playing either an intellect based caster and fluffing it as a priest , or just swap to having at least 16~ wis so you can at least cast some spells. Wisdom is basically like intuition and perception, it would be fine for a more empathic torturer vs a surgical one to have more.

What this guy said. Also Intimidation is Charisma, so it is justified to give your guy a lot of that, too. He knows how humans work on both physical and mental planes, and can put that knowledge to good use. It makes perfect sense.

Huh... That's actually pretty neat. And allows me to make a useful character while keeping the concept.

This is a bad character. You need to function in your role. DnD is not a game where you can play any bullshit and be fine. I don't understand you anti optimizers who somehow think making not only an unoptimized but outrught brokwn character somehow enhances their RP. Is it a kind of madness? What drives men to such folly?

I do agree with you, but i usually do optimize my characters, sometimes to game breaking levels. But with this character i wanted to try something different. No such thing as "weak character enhances rp". More like a character that was not meant to be a cleric. But as other anons pointed out without being salty, i can do such character without being a useless party member and That Guy.

Have you ever watched Cadfael?

It's about a man who went away to fight in the Crusades. He learned medicine whilst over there from a Syrian woman fought in some battles and came home.

But he had seen some shit and the things he had done had not made him a happy man.

Joined a Benedictine monastery as it's apothecary and medic. Spent the rest of his life trying to heal as many people as he could. Also he solved crimes.

It's a very good series and I heartily recommend it.

That + Shepard Book from Firefly.

For additional inspiration, The First Law bookseries has an inquisitor who thinks his job is torture. You could check them, too. Good books.

>thinks his job is torture
Glokta's job IS torture

The only thing that being a That Guy truly means is "ruins it for the other players", or even just "isn't a good fit".

Like it or not, you're in a group which -- for whatever reason -- doesn't like your weakness. It lessens their fun. So, one way or another, kind of, yeah.

To be honest, there are stronger ways to roleplay a reformed Cleric than by making them weak at being a cleric. Have them constantly wrestle against a sadistic side they're terrified will reassert itself, or go the other way and have him desperate to help everyone they meet in some kind of apology to the universe.

Making a character that you want within the limitations of the rules your DM lays out is not being a That Guy, regardless of what your party "needs".

How you play said character could make you a That Guy, but even worse is telling someone that they can't/shouldn't play what they want to play because the party isn't min-max. Fuck him in particular. If he wants to play an MMO raid then go play Play one, that cunt is certainly being a That Guy and that's before the game has even begun.

Here's a revolutionary idea: Talk with your GM and/or group about it instead of random people on the internet that only has your version of events to go on.