/40krpg/ 40K Roleplay General

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things formerly listed individually on this post.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.45.160417), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now containing some of the DH2 content up to the first supplement.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), Veeky Forums made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things. Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Additional Resources:
Now found in the Homebrew Megafolder.

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ClIZ0NuLQuw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> be big bad of user's upcoming campaign against tau/gue'vesa
> be hardened Imperial Guard colonel of as-yet indeterminate regiment
> be pulled into bloody slogging war against X or Y threat along the eastern front for decades
> be exposed to tau doctrine over time but disregard it because your armour is contempt etc
> invoke right of settlement at campaign's conclusion
> your officers are now the ruling class, your regiment is the PDF, you are the planetary governor of this recently reconquered world
> population traumatised, beleaguered, in desperate need of supplies
> you can't help them
> you've spent too long campaigning to sequester yourself in an ivory tower and ignore them
> something needs to be done
> your men are marrying into the local population, settling down, starting families, setting down roots and developing attachments
> they agitate for you to do something
> but the adeptus terra is not forthcoming with help -- the planet is reconquered and their work is done so long as your tithes keep coming
> planet is a high-grade agriworld
> administratum didn't anticipate the long-term damage to its output during the war
> you can't meet your tithes without your people suffering
> you risk rebellion from your men, the men you fought and bled with, the only family you have if you try
> would the emperor let this happen? what if the adeptus aren't just corrupt?
> the tau make you an offer you can't refuse
> you coordinate with other local planetary governors to launch a full-scale rebellion in anticipation of tau support
> PCs are dispatched to eliminate you

> X or Y threat along the Eastern Front

What did I fight, Veeky Forums? Irony points say tau, but I figure the experience of fighting them would harden me against them. Was also thinking Tyranids but I don't think the IG stands much chance beating them.

Followup question: How plausible is it for a conventional Imperial battlegroup to fend off a tyranid invasion without the planet being irreparably rekt?

Very unlikely. Tyrannoforming causes toxic alien hellscapes. Now add in Imperial desperation with their usage of chemical, nuclear, biological and -worse- weapons against the Tyranids and you have a warzone almost inherently hostile to human life.

My planet is war torn, better tear it up with another war?

> eastern front
> front

There is only one answer to this question

Idea was he'd grown quite disillusioned after seeing firsthand how the Imperium struggles logistically to bring troops and resources to the front, compared to the neighbouring Tau who were just around the corner. Accepting their offer was probably hinged, however, around not understanding how slow Tau space travel is, so he expected their support to arrive in the rebellious system before the Imperium was on the scene and to have his world secure before they had a hope of landing troops there.

Probably rules out the tyranids, then. Cheers.

Eh, if it could happen in Dawn of War 2, it should be possible.

I'd suggest Orks, fighting them is brutal and can cause lasting damage, but not necessarily ecology destroying.

The flamers you have to use after the battle, however...

Implying recurring feral orks aren't just another plot hook for OK DM

Which one would be the most "Soviet" of the Tau Sept for one characteristic or another?

Vior'la are basically a slightly more tacticool version of the Red Army.

Can you roll dodge for a spray weapon, after the initial agility test? System is Only War

I've seen nothing that say you can't, so I think yes, you can.

If you couldn't flamers would be terribly OP.

cheers lads

On a scale of 1 to 10, how fantastically dead-killy is an Eversor as statted in DH2? Could a single assassin challenge a party of 4 at about 15kXp?

if they fail at 15k they are retarded

if one of them is a psyker and knows wtf he is doing he can kill the eversor in 2 turns

So you're saying it's not killy enough? Im not very good at reading stats and transposing effectiveness in a combat scenario unfortunately. There is a psyker in the group but he's a telekine/telepath, not too focussed on combat but he has a few of the telekine powers. What would you suggest to back this up? I always thought Imperial assassins worked alone.

Imperial assassins can work in teams.
Including individuals of several different temples together.
A team of a Vindicare, Callidus, Eversor and Culexus is called Execution Force.
Have fun.

Cool, I thought that was just the boardgame GW put out. May be overkill at this stage thouh, not all the characters are combat powerhouses.

In a hypothetical situation, how could I create the horribly most OP character in either Black Crusade or DW?

*Player character that is. Asking for uh, a friend.

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch with a shitload of powers and gifts.

That depends on how lenient your GM is, your luck with dice and what you want to do.

For being King Death of Murder Mountain, going Khorne with a pair of daemon-possessed Legacy weapons will make you a blender where the question is no longer whether things will blend or not, but rather whether or not they're hit.

The other way is to do something similar as a Slaaneshi Psyker. You get that, plus so much more. It'll require more effort and XP, but you could probably trump the Khornate by virtue of speed and volume of attacks.

You could also go Tzeentchian Psyker and probably fry everything.

A lot of this depends on how willing the GM is to put up with your shit, and what mutations you roll, as well as your opposition. However, a well-built psyker, after a few thousand xp, can deal with most threats.

Okay, thanks for the ideas, will probably try out the Slaneeshi Psyker, shit seems cash

Fuck offfffffffffffffffffffff
t. ur gm

so a few weeks ago some user posted a PDF of some vehicles and weapons for a drop troop regiment. It had really interesting mechiancs i wanted to try but i cant find it now. Can any nice user help me find it again? It had a elysian on the front of it

Check the homebrew folder in the MEGA?

already did, it wasnt there as far as i could see

Look in 1e Inquisitor's Handbook for the neuro gauntlet weapon and give that effect to the eversor that is for some reason missing that effect in every eversor statblock.

Anyone ever run or come up against a genestealer cult? How did you handle it?

phosphex

To answer your question (albeit pretty late) I think you should really go with either Tau or maybe Necrons.

Tau would be the ultimate irony - the very foe you hated so much would be your only salvation. You hate them - hate them beyond belief - but you cannot bring yourself to abandon the very people you swore to protect. The fact that you are now taking orders from beings you once swore a holy oath to combat to the death wears heavy on your soul, and your character can't deal with it. In his personal crisis of faith in himself and of his own beliefs, the colonel/Governor ends up becoming even more callous and cold, spending the lives of his men almost without care, because he can't bring himself to terms with his situation and only hopes that by throwing more men at the problem it'll just go away.

Necrons are just really, really good at fucking a place up, but also acting like "people," unlike Tyranids. Guard can reasonably adapt to the "average" Necron tactics (not those of the Overlords of high-ranking Dynasties, but low-level uprisings are more than manageable) provided they have a numeric advantage and adequate support, especially if the Necrons in question have a "flaw" that can be easily exploited (such as routine attack times, telegraphing their objectives with grandiose gestures, only fighting out in the open out of a sense of personal honor, just general insanity, etc.). However, even "weak" Necrons will ROYALLY fuck a place up, and can tear through anybody who isn't ready for them.

This is the most recent version that I'm aware of.

Ever base you characters off real-world people, or at least real-world "archetypes?

This is how I Rogue Trader. youtube.com/watch?v=ClIZ0NuLQuw

I'm going to assume that pic related minus the meme text came from FFG's art, and I want to know the context of it.

it's been about three years or so since I've touched anything related to 40k. How do I get back into it?

Fight necrons

Do they still come back to life but lose immediately if you kill enough at once?

No, it is on a per-necron basis now unless if you're talking about the wargame and not the RPG then I have no idea.

yep, I was into the wargame. rpgs look cool though.

>Want to stat up a Lathe World/Drop regiment where everybody starts with maglev coils (maybe, they are kinda shit).
>Don't know what to name them that isn't stheel rehin.

>maglev coils (maybe, they are kinda shit)

You say that mate but I was kicking myself for picking ferric lures the other day during my second session as a heretek in BC when I had to get up somewhere that was fairly high.

Having lathe worlders with integral grav chutes is fucking genius though. I assume you're not fluffing them as being from actual lathe worlds in calixis sector and just some random forge world? Actually the weird gravity fuckery with the three lathes might make drop regiments a logical outgrowth.

No immediate suggestions for names other than planetname Skyguard or Ironhawks or something.

How would Veeky Forums build a Tempestus Scions regiment?

>planetname Avian Guard
>planetname Thunders
>planetname Falconers
>planetname Landers
>planetname Hotdrops

And so on. You could try looking up cool bird names, too, for even more options.

You might have to cheese the rules in a similar way to how FFG did to make the Kasrkin.

>Falconers
>Thunderers

Fucking A. Might steal these for my own drop troops reg at some point, maybe with a mesoamerican theme. Badass.

>Schola Progenium (3 Points) (Pretty much a given)
>Grenadiers (4 Points) (Gets us carapace armour and bombs out the wazoo)
>Bonded to the Machine Cult (3 Points) (Bonuses for logistics tests for plasma, melta and power weapons, all fairly standard part of the Scions arsenal)
>Sharpshooters (4 points) (Sorta self explanatory, right?)
>Electro-Vox Warfare (4 Points) (Let me explain this one. Gives us all microbeads, as well as auspexes and voxcasters per squad, plus static generators and signal jammers if we're feeling tacticool.)
>Condemned (6 points) (Okay, this one is probably the most cheesetastic, but hear me out. Description says disliked, distrusted, generally assigned high-risk operations . . . sounds like storm troopers and their glory-boy attitude and modus operandi to me. Bonus points if we get assigned a commissar -- schola buddies!)

Take hellguns with our extra kit points and we're set. Tempted to drop electrovox for something else to lower the point cost and make it less cheesy overall, but I'm impressed with myself that I actually found an excuse to use that doctrine at all.

> picks a doctrine that gets us bonus for getting a bonus to logistics for high tech shit
> chooses a drawback that negates it entirely

Are you high

What impresses me is that they wrote them that way specifically so they could be cheesed in that precise manner.

>planetname Hotdrops

Yeah, though I don't really mind. Was nice to get an all-Kasrkin regiment even if their kit was a bit of a mess.

Playing an only war campaign where our squad just got into a fight with a Tau psyker named Jerry "basically like the Tau God-Emperor" with the stats of Commander Firewing but immune to CC, who also had backup of a tau battle suit and half a dozen fire warriors.

How did it go and what is your GM smoking?

It was actually hilariously amazing. It was Jerry's birthday. Two days from retirement. We killed all his friends at his party apparently.

Our DM was smoking sleep deprivation I think.

So, I recently got into a Dark Heresy 2nd edition game, and I am.. entirely new to the game, I haven't ever touched it before.
So I made a Forge World Mechanicus Chirurgeon.
Help me Veeky Forums, what are some cool things I can do at start?
(I did get chimestry)

Which factions, exactly, recruit the freelance mercenary orcs/deldar etc?

Tau hired some Deldar with payment being the sending of some peasants on a cultural exchange trip to Commorragh.

Is Resistance (Fear) stackable in Only War?

Plenty. The Severan Dominate in Only War is a good example of a non-Imperial human faction who does extensive business with the Dark Eldar, and chances are there are dozens of different petty imperiums and rebellious states who provide them with work.

Then there's particularly unscrupulous Rogue Traders, Inquisitors, and the occasional crime lord operating on the fringes of Imperial space, although even the most murderous crooks probably take the Ecclesiarchal tenet of abhorring the xenos pretty seriously.

Then there are the countless unnamed xenos empires that are supposed to be sprouting up all over the place in the 41st millenium, of which the Tau, as alluded to by , are only one.

My current campaign features them as the big bad, they've infiltrated a noble house on a Knight World. There's some rules for cultists dotting around on some forums but I'm probably just going to have them as generic mooks with some of the mutations added.

In terms of story wise how I run them, they're very hidden. There's some rumours that the nobles of the house frequent whorehouses, but nothing confirmed. Right now the PCs are investigating a doctor in the underhive who is rounding up mutated citizens under the request of an Adeptus Biologis Techpriest.

you are a god amongst men! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As I recall it's just a picture posted to show how the regular people of the Imperium fear the Mechanicus for their weird ways and how isolated they are.

Does anyone know where I can find the most up to date incarnation of a Vindicare Assassin? The other three temples (Eversor, Callidus and Culexus) are statted in DH2 but there's no sign of the Eversor. Any help?

By that logic that tech priest might not have any malevolent intentions at all?

Absolutely not, at least from his point of view.

>that tech priest might not have any malevolent intentions at all?
Look, his manufactorum production is down 12% and he needs to expand his workforce by 40% within 2 months. Servitors can work 24/7, don't need paying, and only consume efficient vat protein. He needs those servitors now and can't wait for a prisoner shipment or forced-growth vat, so it's just random circumstance that these civilians are getting servitorized. There's nothing personal or malicious here, that would be emotional and inefficient. Maybe next year the Imperium will set a reasonable quota on Leman Russ parts.

Pretty much this. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I wasn't thinking like that. Not too grimdark nor the opposite.

Since I feel like making somebody chuckle and/or teaching people, something I wanted to share.

Have DH2 Corebook, bought at GenCon 2 years ago, and have been having a fixation on playing a game.
>No one else in my group is in the mood for it, however...

Anyway, I go through it and DL the Splatbooks because the "Sanctified" trait for weapons was driving me fucking nuts.
>Sanctified weapons are considered to be holy damage, which can have dramatic effects on daemons.
......and those effects would beeeeee....what?

After over a week of searching and going "What the FUCK!?!" I'm able to find no more information on what the FUCK Sanctified does to Daemon's that's supposed to be "Dramatic".

I was expecting it to be a GM discretion thing. Then I went into the Enemies Beyond book in case there were individual descriptions for each type of Daemon for what Holy damage does to them. Only thing in there was that Sanctified weapons can ignore Nurgle Daemons aura of rot. (Every piece of equipment counts as Poor quality)
>Found out how to get Sanctified weapons though. Need and Influence of at least 50 and it's Very Rare.

Then I go back in the core rule book and on a lark, look up some of the other traits....

Holy damage description is under the "Daemonic" Trait and the "Stuff of Nightmares" trait.

So if anyone else was having that problem, there's your answer. And if you chuckled at my Herp-da-DERP moment, good.
>What does?
>Daemonic= STACKS with Unnatural Toughness and Toughness for Damage reduction.
>Holy ignores that, like Felling does for UnT, but completely negates instead of "Holy (4) negating 4 levels of Daemon" or something
>Stuff of Nightmares: "...ignores Critical effects that don't destroy it outright."
>Unless CE was caused by psychic power, Force Weapon or Holy Damage.

Doing some fluff writing, would like opinions.
>God, clusterfuck incoming...

An average TechPriest reaction to finding a particular kind of Cyborg.
>Or any kind of tech priest, as I'm aware there are divisional splits among them.

The Cyborg: A very VERY human looking body when clothed, but obviously machine wherever skin would be exposed. Trick is, the ONLY thing still completely human is the head, while everything else is essentially a life-support system with more than a few features for wrecking shit.

Creation: Someone developing robo-bodies for war, not tech-savvy enough to program a good enough computer to control said robo-body for maximum results.
>Fuck it, stick a human brain on it!
Need to test run their new warmachines though. Solution? Sell the cyborgs to criminals who use them for Pit-fighting, same as with dogs or roosters, while the cyborgs brains have been surgically hampered to be more controllable with no memories of their past life or emotions.

So, did I just describe a super-advanced version of a Combat Servitor, and/or something that would make most Tech-Priests say "HERESY!! TRIPLE EMPEROR-DAMN HERESY!" or "DO WANT! DO WANT!!!"?

That's basically a form of servitor. Not even that advanced or unusual. Even half a brain in a jar would pass muster as far as servitors go.
An actual full robot would have been far more heretical.

I noticed that in Mark of the Xenos there are only 4 orks that are stat'd out. Is there another Deathwatch book where there are more, like it is for the Necrons? Or do I need to import something from Rogue Trader?

Yeah, the main difference between that is it's more versatile and adaptable than your average combat servitor by virtue of not having guns for arms. That itself might be enough to make a lot of people leery, mind. I can imagine a lot of the more orthodox techpriests being appalled by the idea of a servitor that can pass itself off as human, either because it risks mockery of the Holy Human Form or because it represents an inefficient use of flesh and brainpower (you could probably make a more deadly combat servitor by replacing the arms with guns).

If it has a human brain, it's pretty fucking kosher. Only problem arises if it's too smart. But so long as it has human parts, a lot of shit can pass. See the Janus SImulacra under the Servitors part of Inquisitor's Handbook for what the upper edge of a servitor's acceptable intelligence is.

Are these dudes a valid option in any of the 40k TTRPGs? They look pretty cool.

If they're from the actual Lathe Worlds, try "Voidwalkers."

Absolutely, they're represented with regiments in Only War, and every other System you can build them with the right traits and gear.

technically the Crimson Guard is specifically not Skitarii

For some weird-ass reason, GW doesn't want FFG or Forge World doing any skitarii fluff or rules whatsoever, for any reason. This has resulted in various dodges like the Crimson Guard that are "Close enough" without actually being Skitarii. You can, however, go Forge World/Admech/Warrior in DH 2e and say you're a Skitarii.

Yes, but you may have to homebrew it a bit if you want specific elements, e.g. weapons, etc. Best system to work with is probably Only War if you want to focus on combat operations, although Dark Heresy gives a lot of info with the Lathe Worlds expansion. Regiment Homeworld should be Forge or Lathe world, give yourself Cyber-Enhanced, Bonded to the Machine Cult, Defenders of the Omnissiah, and/or Augmetics as special equipment doctrines.

Interesting. Any advances on "weird-ass reason" for why they're doing that? Are they holding them back for an official codex or something?

I've got a question that just popped into my head regarding cybernetics and actual exp costing talents with mainly Rogue Trader in mind.

Since Prosanguine requires Autosanguine would that require the Autosanguine talent to be purchased or could someone bypass the exp cost of the Autosanguine talent by getting the talent via the Vitae Supplement cybernetic enhancement? Basically, do the talents/traits gained via cybernetics count towards the prerequisites for talents/traits in the career paths or not?

Codex Skitarii is out and has been for a while, but the embargo is still up, apparently. Keep in mind that this is all fifth hand rumors and hearsay, because GW HQ is a black fucking hole of noncommunication.

go into medicae and trade chymist

scholastic lore chymistry

Ask your gm to create poisons and toxins. Coat the party's bullets with the crafted goodies.

Make firebombs and nades.Get a medkit. Think of ways to create stuff.

You should read the talents and set up a path you want to go on.

Get Trade Armourer and the Talent Armourmonger. It gives you IB points of armour to distribute around ur body which is always nice.

Also get Cerebral Implants of good quality.

Ask your GM for peer AdMech after you deal with the AdMech

it should be

Besides the boring shit like refractor fields and good cortex implants, what are some good ideas for the starting acquisition in Rogue Trader?

Ah.

Then, if the human brain was fully intelligent, like someone just went "I need an entirely new goddamn body!", THEN the tech-priests would go "WTF IS THIS SHIT!?!"

I know that personal gear and personal combat isn't really what RT is about, but if you're using the Soul Reaver splat and playing a Dark Eldar and you don't start with a Wingboard I don't even think we're playing the same game.

Fantastically titled.

For a servitor, yes. A full conversion cyborg whose only human bits are a brain in an armored canister, that is somewhat radical but is still done routinely for cybernetic resurrection, elder tech priests, or some tech guard like Thallax.

Thanks user!
(luckily I had those things already, except the armorer stuff)

Vitae Supplement and a good weapon.

No, that's just a person with a cybernetic body. Now if you're reprogramming that brain, you're getting into iffy territory, but the kind of iffy where you're executed for heresy then some Magos nabs your notes for his Original Skitari Donut Steel

Alright, thanks for the ideas/clarification. Basic premise is everything I said above with the cyborgs, except because of [Reasons], the brain-surgery required to keep them "Servitor" level intelligence isn't permanent and has to be continually maintained. Rarely, [Reasons] cause these cyborgs to slip the leash and remember who they were before getting decapitated and jammed onto an iron lung with guns/blades that could walk.

Wait, did I just describe a Dreadnought?

...wait a tick, did I accidentally come up with a more viable solution for Space Marines than being interred in a Dreadnought?

Huh....well, I'll finagle with that later. For now, thanks for the insights/opinions.

bump

If they are combat focused, with a few CC able characters, odds are in their favor.
That's why you have the eversor play it smart, hijack a plane or autocarriage, start the battle of with some WRRRRRRRYYYYY *splat*.
>hypotherical

Black Crusade, I believe.