Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TZzmY0Jxyw0
swallowsofthesouth.com/2016/05/23/swallows-of-the-south-interview-with-ex3-developers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mana burn edition: Would it be good? How could it be good? Who/what gets it?

Alveua is my waifu.
I want to hold her hand.
I want to hug her.
I want to stare into her eyes until she blushes like a schoolgirl, despite her almost certainly being incapable of that.
I want to kiss her on the forehead and scratch my nose against her dainty little horn (the left one).
I want her to throw me across her anvil, grab her hammer, and forge me into a bra of black steel
I want her to try me on and smile at how cozily I cradle her soft little mounds.
I want to feel the ba-thump ba-thump ba-thump of her demon heart inside of me forever

Trips of truth tell me please, could you play exalted as if it was ancient babylon once?

>'ba-thump ba-thump'
>not 'doki doki'

I mean, if it's already a shitpost, you might as well go for broke.

Sure? I don't know what they got up to, and the setting is a big part of Exalted, so there's probably better alternatives.

You're better off putting a Babylon lookalike kingdom in Creation, adapting the gods and all.

Can a game of Exalted where you only play Heroic mortals be fun? Can you still have a degree of high-flying action without everyone being walking demigods?

Well at least i can safely add exalted to my list of kickstarters that got a bunch of money and still turned out good.

Depends on the players and the storyteller, I'd say.

This is my waifu

Yes. You can still stunt.

If anything, there's much more suspense and the characters need to be much more careful and act smart, because mortals are so comparatively fragile.

If you do, don't let them be Sorcerers or exalt any them at the first opportunity (if you actually plan to), though.

After 2 years of delay. And not as good as hoped, but then, does anything?

Who is she, anyway? Some kind of DB schoolgirl?

What's the trouble with letting them be sorcerers? I can understand not Exalting them at the first chance, but is Sorcery really that strong?

Also, Heroic Mortals can take martial arts charms right?

>Also, Heroic Mortals can take martial arts charms right?
2e? Yes. 3e? No.

youtube.com/watch?v=TZzmY0Jxyw0
Something tells me doing something like this in Exalted wouldn't really fly with the ACTUAL gods...unless they're bro-tier enough to make you an intermediary.

Sorcery is very strong. To the point it's comparable to terrestrial Exaltation if not stronger. It would do the same things as Exalting, for the power levels of the party.

Mortals can learn MA, but only the mundane versions of the style, no charms.

Don't play 2e.

It's not so much the spells, as it is the spells AND the Workings. Sorcerers usually improve themselves using those like it's cyberpunk or something. Usually in less noticeable ways (wings and tails are rare) but still.

Speaking of Endless Legend, how about pic related in Exalted.
Could a (mortal?) sorcerer turn themselves or others into one?

Alright. I knew mortals could learn martial arts, but I wasn't sure on the extent. Are there rules for the mundane styles in 3e?

As for the sorcery, I think it'd be nice for them to access it in some way, though it seems like it could be trouble unless I limit it somehow

No no, I want some good solid beats. Iike a war drum beneath the skin. None of that weak tea doki crap.

The rules are the same as normal combat, just use the style's Ability instead of Melee or Brawl.

Have them run into a sorcerer NPC that can be hired, but only for ludicrous amounts of money. Or, a service (obvious quest hook).

Storyteller with Ex3 crafter as PC here. How do I get my player to gain more Gold XP?

>assuming the gods would even notice before you've already run off into the night

>How do I get my player to gain more Gold XP?
Encourage them to solve WAY more problems with crafting, or have them buy some of the Craft XP reactor charms.

Craft is one of those all or nothing Abilities. If you don't use it CONSTANTLY at literally every opportunity, you can't build up enough points to use it for serious shit.

If you were to create a new mortal race, how would you do their souls?

Dragon Kings have a finite number and come back perfectly every time, Jadeborn have a finite number but have to be re-found and physically incarnated again each time they die, and humans reincarnate with no apparent limits but are wiped clean after each go of it. We don't know anything about the others.

Yes. Only problem is the lack of diversity. Not much customization options for mortals.

If you buy enough craft charms you will have unlimited craft xp

>buy some of the Craft XP reactor charms

is there a sorted list of optimal reactor Charms? So far the crafter is constantly putting out basic and major projects, but it's just not enough ,especially because he is not yet 'efficient' enough when crafting Superior Projects, wasting a lot of gold XP for every project.

They get to remember vague memories and retain their personality, but only if they died contently.

This would lead to two castes: those that have reached enlightenment and are happy in life, and those that are still "soul searching". The former try to mentor and deal with the latter, and are the rulers, but the latter are the adventurous and experiment a lot.

Manual labor is divided among both, because many reincarnates are content to, and many new souls just want to try it, or use it as a job while they dedicate their free time to other things or whatever.

Here's a reactor starter pact from the archive. You can presumably just build off of them by buying more of the tree after chargen.

Arete-Shifting Prana
Sublime Transference
Tireless Workhorse Method
Efficient Craftsman Technique
Ages-Echoing Wisdom
Craftsman Needs no Tools
Flawless Handiwork Method (x2)

Sublime Transference lets you convert Silver into Gold at a rate of 2:1, and then Gold into White at 2:1.

Supreme Perfection of Craft gives you one Gold point and (Essence + 2) Silver every time you sleep.

Add on to those all of the Silver/Gold point related Permanent charms in Efficiency and Momentum and he'll be literally drowning in Silver and therefore Gold points.

Like, I actually cannot comprehend how your dude doesn't have all the Gold points he needs unless he either literally doesn't craft, has literally no Craft charms, or both.

shes in the solar exalt spread. Pretty sure none of those guys are even sigs, they're just random figures.

The specific god of that city will be pretty pissed, and their close personal friends might help them do something about it.

"The gods" as a group aren't going to give a shit. Terrestrial gods have basically been an atomized feudal society since the apocalyptic end of the first age. They can't get mad as a group because they aren't a group in any meaningful sense.

Celestial gods remain a unified organization. They could theoretically mount a response though. They are too tangled up in corruption and in fighting though. Plus, they see terrestrial gods as inferior and won't care about a single one getting booted from his city.

he is only 70% invested in Craft Charms, and Craft is not his Supernal Ability. That seems to be his problem.

How fast are you expecting to earn them?

What Essence is he? Because until you're Essence 2-3, you can be, at best, a tertiary crafter. You cannot have crafting as your actual specialty until you pick up the mid-essence charms.

Yeah if you expect to make artifacts on a regular basis then you need craft investmen, same as you need combat investment to kill second circle demons or whatever else. Cranking out artifacts straight from chargen really shouldnt be a thing.

Only if you think of craft just in terms of artifacts. You can do all sorts of crazy shit with basic and major projects with low level craft charms.

>Only if you think of craft just in terms of artifacts.
He's talking about Gold Points. Of course I'm just talking in terms of artifacts.

Okay Veeky Forums, what's the greatest amount of Sorcerous motes you could gather in one turn using the shaping rituals in the core book?

so far I have not seen a single 'deciding' Essence 3 Craft Charm. Sure, Essence 2 is important for stuff like Thousand Forge Hands and Sublime Transferance, but what's important about Essence 3?

on average / multiple turns, or as nova?

On average it's probably about 11 sux in my default build

well for one is words as workshop. summoning temporary n/a artifacts is kinda insane and lets you craft artifacts without having a dedicated workshop. Also there's art of permanence, and you can re buy supreme maskerwork focus for double 7's

yeah AOP is as close as you get to 'regular' magical items. You can make a torch that lasts forever with that

What do you mean by mana burn?

Yes, but there isn't a lot of options for mortals.

I'd honestly say using DnD 5e is your best option for them, unless someone wants to houserules how DnD Adventurers in Exalted 3e works.

Well, let's see.

Let's assume you have Intelligence 5, Occult 5, a specialization, and the Heirophant's Eye hearthstone. You use a full excellency too, and a Rating 3 stunt, for a total of 25 dice and 2 automatic successes. Let's assume, by some miracle, you roll nothing but 10s on those dice.

That puts our starting baseline at 52 sorcerous motes before rituals.

Now, do you want to assume that a given person can have more than 3 Shaping Rituals (can be acquired in play, purchased as merits, whatever) or that they can only have 3 Shaping Rituals (are only acquired when ascending circles)?

Not really. The kickstarter wasn't for Ex3 - it was for the Ex3 premium edition. You won't know if the Kickstarter succeeded until you see them ship one of their super-special hardcopies.

The fact that blue jade is air, black jade is water, and white jade is earth is making me unreasonably angry.

>Can a game of Exalted where you only play Heroic mortals be fun?
Yes.

>Can you still have a degree of high-flying action without everyone being walking demigods?
Also yes.

A person with a specialty and 5s in relevant stats averages 5.5 successes on a roll - that's 6.5 successes with a Rating 1 stunt. 7.5 successes if you spend a point of Willpower. On average, again.

5 successes is enough to do things like fall a hundred meters into a hay cart without injury, read a book by touch by feeling the shape of the texture of ink on the page, or what have you.

Heroic mortals, in Exalted, are already capable of incredible things that are all but impossible in the real world. You can't do outright magic things, like hitting an immaterial spirit, but you can do things that strain the suspension of disbelief to its breaking point, like solo-fighting an entire legion or ensconcing yourself as a god-king with some well-timed sleight of hand and a couple of good speeches.

Just remember, though, there really are some things that are just beyond them. They can't push past every limitation with clever thinking and a good roll alone. They're still just mortal, not exalted.

- Take all the "roll harder" charms.
- Make artifacts in a single roll
- Gain (artifact rating x 2 x remaining intervals) gold xp.

I know what you mean. I'd rather black jade be air, blue jade be earth, and white jade be water.

Take it up with the Chinese, man.

>black jade be air, blue jade be earth, and white jade be water

Soul division. Children are born soulless. When you die, your soul fragments into multiple pieces; each piece carrying one aspect of your personality, and some portion of your memories, and ensouls a child. As that child grows, their personality develops around that seed. Parents have been known to murder people with desirable qualities in the hope of them passing to their children (not a sure thing, as there are usually more soulless children than would be filled by a single death).

>he is only 70% invested in Craft Charms, and Craft is not his Supernal Ability. That seems to be his problem.
If 70% of his charms are in one Ability, it really should be his Supernal.

Why? Supernal is to let you pick up an Essence 4-5 power at chargen, not necessarily the thing you want the majority of your charms in.

Generally the ability you want an ess 4-5 power in will require a few charms to get to it, and will be an ability you really want to focus on, and have more lesser charms for. But you're right, it's not always the case.

There's often more than one above-Essence1 Charm you want from your Supernal and that requires investment. Especially from Craft which charmtree is just huge.

Blue jade = sky and black jade = sunless abyss, White as earth is kinda strange but there is marble and other white rocks so whatever. Earth can be also seen as the purest, most stable element.

Yeah, the colours are just a bit unintuitive at first.

Let's go with just the three from ascending to a Circle. Keep it a bit more simple.

What can you do senpai?

You really shouldn't be considering a roll of 50, that would probably take more sorcerers trying this than there exists in creation. An average or like 10% chance might be more useful.

The question was "what is the greatest number of sorcerous motes", not "what is a reasonable estimate of the average number of sorcerous motes".

Is a 3E Lunars book anywhere in planning? Do we know anything about the general order the different Exalt types will get their treatments?

yes, you just need a non crap st and problems on the right scale

Last I checked the order was Dragonbloods, Exigents, and then one of Sidereals/Abyssals/Lunars. Not counting other books like Arms of the Chosen.

>Is a 3E Lunars book anywhere in planning?
>2030

(not the same guy)
Considering a lvl 1 stunt (because fuck lvl 3) and all that other stuff, we're talking about 25 dice. so 12,5 successes on average. 15 for quite a lot of expensive battle magic would be something around 35~40%, I guess. I can't remember the math, but it's not a big deviation from the average. Even if you don't get it in one turn, those 15 non-excellency dice would net a 7,5 successes on average, getting the spell out in turn 2 is quite possible.

All in all, 15 in a turn is quite doable, 20 would depend on quite some luck and 25 would be night impossible. Now, if you considering the rituals,that would depend heavily on the ones used:

Mara spends an action to roll Essence + Willpower for scene long motes, but no excellencies. Ess3 & 7WP would net you 5 motes on av., but using that action for a sorcery roll would be more profitable. Usefull for stealth or a scene where battle hasn't begun yet. There is also the flunkie tactic where you walk around with a unrequited love toy for easy 4 motes per action (1/day per flunkie), but then you need to worry about their safety...

Ifrit Lord can net you a fuckton of story long motes, but it's because of a Charisma + Performance roll with difficulty 5 - resources of sacrifice. So if you have resources 4 and rolls a full excellency with 4/4 on those (you're a sorcerer, not an performer!) it would potentially give you 8 (av) motes that would be based on previous preparation. If you consider really expensive/long preparation on optimal circumstances some 12 reserve motes are not unthinkable. If you have 5/5 & specialty even more viable... but too much XP only for that. Good for that first turn oomph, though.

Continue...

cont.

Scarred by Nightmares gives you a daily Wits+Occult roll worthy of day-long motes, so maybe 10 on av.(full excellency). Specially useful for signature spells, as they're worthy double for those if spent all at once. With 20 from that alone a turn one Death Ray (at ess 5) is quite easy. Best one for if looking for a quick heavy signature cast. It even allows for a 1x/story bonus of Ess+Stunt+1. If you can't get a spell out with that your dice really don't like you.
That is not to mention taking on Limit Break motes... but then you have other things to be worried about.

Soul-Perfecting Elixir gives you a Stamina+Occult action roll, so worse than a normal Shape one... but it does allow for getting mores while dodging, attacking, disengaging, etc, as with mara. It can also give Ess+Stamina story long motes 1x/story. Not the most efficient ritual there is.

Talisman of Ten Thousand Eyes allows you to get half of your Join Battle successes as scene long motes for 1WP. It also lets you stunt 1x scene for Stunt+2 motes for a spell, and store 10 motes on the Talisman. Those 10 motes need a scene of meditation to be stored, and only 1x/day, but you can use Ess+2 per Shape action, and they count double for Signature spells.

All in all, if you can have only 3, the most efficient ones for a burst would be Scarred + Ifrit + Talisman. If it's your signature you could get a Rain of Doom (40sm) in turn one without using a single mote or rolling a die in battle, for fuck' sake. Sure, you only have that at Ess5, but even if not your signature spell those are some easy 25~30sm there, enough for pretty much anything Celestial/Terrestrial Circle without sweat, and Solar with an Excellency (or no roll if Death Ray). Those are scene/story non decaying motes, I must reinforce.

Now, that asks for some heavy Resources/Charisma/Performance. If you don't want to delve into that and have no moral qualms the easy 4 motes from mara... and that's pretty much it.

On a related note, I've seen claims that Crafters can get 100+ successes on a single roll fairly frequently. What are the key Charms to this?

Given a pool of 21 dice (att+ab+spec+full ex), Flawless Handiwork Method, Supreme Masterwork Focus with all repurchases, Divine Inspiration Technique, and First Movement of the Demiurge - it still doesn't look like it'd come out anywhere near that.

Would Otto "The man" von Bismark be an appropriate example of an Eclipse?

He should be the poster boy to be honest.

cont.2

Oh, I forgot Ifrit's flame drain for Ess motes that you can take at every Shape action. If it's your signature, it won't even diminish the flames. That makes it quite the beast for both burst and sustained casting.

All that is, obviously, considering you can use multiple shaping rituals for the same spell at the same time. If that's not the case (maybe your GM doesn't like the idea of fast sorcerous kaboom), then Scarred becomes the best for Signature burst, and Ifrit for generic burst. For sustained casting Ifrit & Talisman are quite good for signatures (if at higher Essence), but if you can take a battlegroup of unrequited flunkies Mara is helluva good for generic casting.

So yeah, Soul-Perfecting seems to be the worst one around as far as I can see, but beyond that it depends on how you built your character and what you're willing to do.
How big of a burst? A full Excellency and full rituals could put you at 55+ with some luck... at Essence 5. At 3 you could get 30 without breaking too much of a sweat, though. At 1 getting 15 for any combat spell is a snap with Ifrit or Scarred, and even the 20sm for Invulnerable Skinn of Bronze are a breeze with the second one if it's your signature.

So yeah, there you have it, a quick but rather deep study on the viability of burst spellcasting. Enjoy!

>Ifrit Lord can net you a fuckton of story long motes, but it's because of a Charisma + Performance roll with difficulty 5 - resources of sacrifice. So if you have resources 4 and rolls a full excellency with 4/4 on those (you're a sorcerer, not an performer!) it would potentially give you 8 (av) motes that would be based on previous preparation. If you consider really expensive/long preparation on optimal circumstances some 12 reserve motes are not unthinkable. If you have 5/5 & specialty even more viable... but too much XP only for that. Good for that first turn oomph, though.
Don't forget rerolling 1s and double 9s, because you may be a performer who moonlights as a sorcerer.

I'm trying to come up with my own iconography, my own mythos for my exalt. I'm not going to tell you what type of exaltation he will possess because it's clear to me that people are far too obsessed with and divided by their masturbatory fantasies (Don't get me wrong, this is my masturbatory fantasy too. I just want you cunts to stop bickering.). He's going to be someone who ravenously pursues the fruits his genius can produce because he is painfully aware that he'll never be widely loved or admired, regardless of anything he accomplishes. The Hanged Man, as presented by the Tarot, is a major inspiration. He knows full-well that he will sacrifice and suffer for the insight he craves. And he doesn't want knowledge or wisdom, exactly, he wants insight: that undefinable amalgam which when combined with willpower creates unstoppable changes. He is also keenly aware that "sanity" and "insanity" are a sliding scale, not a an on-off switch. He struggles with balancing what is right and what is practical, and deep down he's ashamed because he knows that his child-self would revile what he is gradually becoming. If you can think of symbolism that works with this philosophy, please reply.

I'm assuming he means causing the target to lose motes and take some amount of damage from it.

Ive seen those claims as well and far as i can tell their bs. Granted you don't really need that many successes anyways. You need a hundred across six separate rolls at max.
On a related note, think they still have plans for expanded craft stuff in arms?

But the less rolls you use, the less crafting xp it costs (10gxp per roll), and the bigger rewards (you get 2 x rating x unused intervals in gxp).

>On a related note, think they still have plans for expanded craft stuff in arms?

I think it's just a catalog without guidelines. Exigents will be the same.

They said in that interview that it actually will have guidelines for making evocations. And exigents was always going to have rules for making charmsets.

Well, that's good to hear. What interview did they say so?

swallowsofthesouth.com/2016/05/23/swallows-of-the-south-interview-with-ex3-developers/
sorry but i forget exactly where it is

I just did a test roll with the charms I listed at E3, and got 73 successes, with the ability to buy up to 40 more successes at 1gxp a piece with Unbroken Image Focus. Turns out the synergies between First Movement of the Demiurge and Divine Inspiration Technique are crazy good.

Well at a certain point the amount of gold points you spend on the success becomes greater then the ones you save from not making multiple rolls and the ones you earn for having extra rolls at the end.

>

Well, yeah, but if I buy 7 successes, that's enough to finish a 4-dot artifact in one roll, and gives me a net benefit of 11gxp (10 for forgoing another roll, 8 for having another interval remaining, minus the 7 it cost me)

I assume the purpose of that charm is just to push you over the line when you missed by a little bit, not as a primary means of garnering successes.

>8 for having another interval remaining
Wouldn't it be 40, for having 5 remaining rolls until terminus? Or did I misunderstand something along the way in Craft rules?

anima examples share time

Yeah, that would be the total bonus, but the difference between completing it in 1 interval versus 2 intervals is 18.

Completed on the first roll: Costs 10gxp, rewards 40gxp
Completed on the second roll: Costs 20gxp, rewards 32gxp

'A blazing golden lily etched with Old Realm scripture and devotions on its leaves appears, as melodious Old Realm prayer echoes around the Solar.'

Probably the anima I'm most proud of making.

Plus the white xp for hitting a basic objective, of course, but that doesn't vary based on speed.

A high golden arch on which stand a team of puppeteers, putting on a show of puppets doing an abstract dance. Closer examination will show that the puppets at the bottom are in fact people manipulating the strings to make the puppets done up to look like puppeteers on the top arch dance. Even closer examination will reverse the relationship again and so on down an infinite recursion.

The criss-crossing puppet strings occasionally form symbols of some import.

Do these just appear above the exalt or around him or what?

Appears when spending shitloads of essence. Specifically, after using up your personal pool and moving on to peripheral, gradually more dramatic lightshows start to happen

Above and behind, usually. Around, sometimes.

A golden image of smug traces out from behind her, unfurling in a grand display to draw ">:3" in the air around her

Is there anything I should keep an eye out for in Brawl for my supernal if my goal is to be stronk and punch shit good. I am grabbing the uhh...flurry Charmline whose name I forget. Rampage something or other

It's your soul personified and put on a show. It's incredibly breathtaking, awe-inspiring, and as inconspicuous as a kick in the balls. At the highest level, everyone kilometers around can see it.

A field of bells under the dawn of an imaginary sun, the bells rising with it, tolling an hymn to the UCS.

A shield appears on the back of the dawn Caste, with an intricate sculpture of the sun etched into it. It shines a golden light that goes ever brighter: when the dawn uses even more essence, swords will start to appear behind the shield. Shortswords below, then longswords, then bastard swords and two-handed greatswords and even longer blades that remind those who see this display of mighty wings made of swords.

Lights start appearing around the eclipse exalted, like small stars or firebugs that then form two sets of wings that appear on the shoulderblades and on the back. Whatever dress/clothes she is wearing start glowing, and images of doves fly out of the two wings in a whirlwing of untouchable feathers.

A tiara floats above her head, intricate etches in the gold and jewels stuck in the glowing fictitious metal.