Dog Days Quest Episode 109

"So, pick one."

Kayda stands up from the ocean, stretching her arms.

"Do you want to carry our clothes, or do you want to carry Keiko?"

You look toward your feet, in the receding surf of the ocean.
There's a girl still laying in the wake. The tide gently pulls her out to sea, and it still isn't enough to rouse her from sleep.

"..You can get Keiko, I'll carry the clothes."

You are Louise Lacerte! The beautiful princess hero of Gallete!
Today, you decided to gather your best friend and visit your other best friend at the demon-hunter shrine. She's lonely there, and everyone always runs off to do adult stuff while she stays behind and watches the place.

That's when you learned a shocking truth about your other-best-friend: She's afraid of the dark!
This is something that wasn't going to stand on your watch.

Now, you're on an adventure! Yes! An adventure to cure Keiko of her fear of the dark! Your destination is a large, spooky looking castle teetering along the coast line. That's a good enough place to visit when its dark. Gotta face your fears, and all!

Except, Keiko may not be facing much of anything if she stays asleep like this. The sun is just dipping below the horizon. Dusk is turning in, and the night is just beginning.

Kayda continues carrying Keiko in her arms. Her eyes fixed on the buttresses of the dilapidated building in the distance.

"Should we just.." She sighs, "Go home?"

You turn to her, "Don't tell me that you're getting scared, too."

"N-Not that, but. This was for Keiko's benefit, right? Not much for her to gain when she's asleep like this. I don't really want to wake her up, either."

She does have a point; Keiko is sleeping soundly, and likely would continue the rest of the night if you let her.

>Cont.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/jCGAA6J2
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=dog days quest
twitter.com/Announcer_QM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

"At the very least, I want to look inside. Isn't it kind of weird that this huge thing is here by the coast, and no one knows what's in it?"
"I guess."

>Don't tell me; you really ARE getting scared, Kayda.
>We have to wake Keiko up so she can put her clothes back on, eventually. We should do it now.
>It's fine, no one's around.
>Let's find a place to camp for the night and THEN go look at the big building.
>Let's search right now before it gets any darker.
>Other?

Pastebin:pastebin.com/jCGAA6J2
Archive:suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=dog days quest
Twitter:twitter.com/Announcer_QM

>We have to wake Keiko up so she can put her clothes back on, eventually. We should do it now.

I'm certainly looking forward to more loli adventures.

hi announcer

>Let's find a place to camp for the night and THEN go look at the big buildin
A dark castle is maybe a step too far, and it'll be hard to see anything. Maybe what Keiko needs is a nice night spent camping.

Writing!

Hi!

Okay, as cute as Keiko is all folded up in Kayda's arms. It's time for her to wake up and at least put her clothes on.

"Keiiiko." You pinch her cheek. "Keiko, wake up!"
Her eyes flip open. Slowly, they survey the faces of both you and Kayda.

Then they slowly close again.

"Keiko!" You shake her, and are met with a low-tone growl.
Rude.

Kayda sets her upright, and she struggles to maintain balance for but a moment. Righting herself, you take her clothes out of the stack and hand them to her.

"Come on, get dressed. We're gonna set up camp!"
"Wait, we're.. sleeping out here?"

"Well, yeah."

Her fluffy green tail sinks.
"Okay, just-" She takes her clothes from you. "Just don't go far away."

"We're not going to run away or anything." Kayda beckons for her clothes, next.

You grab the coarse, stiff, and uncomfortable garmets. She takes them from you, and you're left pondering how any person can seriously wear something so harsh. Somehow, you are suddenly appreciative of the soft and silky fabric comprising your clothes.

"I'm not worried about you running away." Kayda struggles to put her clothes on. Her tail refuses to thread through the hole in the back of her dress. "I'm worried that we're miles away from anyone and it's getting dark."

"Keiko, we're the two scariest things out here." Kayda RUDELY refers to you as scary. "Just stay close to one of us, and you'll be fine."

Kayda finishes securing her clothes to her back with what appears to be some kind of rope. She wears that all the time? It has the texture of fine chain mail.

"Are we still visiting that scary tower?" Keiko's ears bend back.

>I'll go look by myself after we set up camp.
>Later, all of us will go.
>I think camping is enough for one night.
>We'll come back some other time.
>Other?

>>Later, all of us will go.

Writing!

"Later." You flip your barrier jacket back on, with little effort at all. "All of us will go, but right now; we need to set up camp while we can still see."

"Not a problem." Kayda gives one of her rarely-seen smiles. "I'll have camp made in a few minutes."

"Uhh, Don't you need help?" You pick something very important out from the storage-space inside the ring. Tarps, for which to sleep on. "I brought these."
"You were PLANNING THIS ALL ALONG? You even brought blankets!" Keiko seems almost betrayed.

Kayda seems enthusiastic, "Great! Get those set up and leave the rest to me. We can set up overr- here!"

She leads you to a bare spot on the edge of the treeline. You're certain someone has used this as a campsite before, almost recently.

Keiko seems nervous, but still helps in the task of spreading the sheets on the ground.

"How long were you planning this?" Keiko asks, bitterly.
"I wasn't planning for coming here at all. I thought we would sleep outside the shrine tonight and just brought what we needed."

Keiko grumbles, "Don't make decisions like that without me next time. What if Jack were staying over?"
"Oh, he wouldn't mind sleeping outside."

You can almost feel Keiko's glare piercing into your back.

"Atsuko is going to be so mad when she finds out."
"Oh yeah, about that!" You laugh, nervously. "You did leave a message for Atsuko that you were out with us, right?"

"..I thought you did that."

Uh oh.
"Well! She'll figure it out!"
"What?! What do you mean?"

Keiko's worries are interrupted by Kayda. Who has found an entire pile of firewood! Wow!
"Stop, stop." Kayda has that tartness to her voice, "That's not how you tie a tent. Here, let me show you."
"But, wait! Louise said she didn't tell any-"
"Knot first, watch closely." Kayda ignores Keiko's pleas.

>Sleep for a few hours, then adventure in the black of night!
>Camp is set up, let's eat something and then adventure.
>Nope, still some light out, let's go now before it's any darker.
>Other?

>Nope, still some light out, let's go now before it's any darker.

You're a lot faster today, Announcer.

Writing!

I'm trying to distance myself from all writing distractions. Combined with wanting to get some sleep tonight.

"You weren't kidding, Kayda. That was fast."

You admire her handiwork as she makes a large shelter out of the tarp you brought. Big enough to fit all three of you.

She turns around, and flashes another rare smile in your direction.
"So, are we going to eat first or explore first?"
"I think we should eat first." Your stomach readily agrees.

Kayda, without skipping a beat, places her hand out toward the pile of wood.
With a spark, the entire pile erupts into flames!

..Then you find yourself clutching Keiko, who is also clutching you in return.
That's embarrassing.

"Fire, remember?" Kayda flashes the red ring on her finger. "I'm getting better with it."

Right, you have lightning, and she has fire. It seems like she has more control her over element than you do. It's something you need to work on.

"How did you get so good at that?" Keiko is beaming.
"Practice, and having to use it."

Keiko immediately forgets about the approaching night-time. Instead, she bombards Kayda with questions about her wonderous power over her magic.

You instead focus on unpacking the food. Hiding things in your magic ring is really neat, but also very tiring. It feels like a weight is taken off your shoulders when a box emerges from the tiny jewel.

"But how?! Suki wanted to teach it to me, too. But I got some lame thing about controlling plants. I want fire!"
"Now, now. Hold on, Keiko. She probably gave that to you because you're at the shrine. Surely, priestesses have some kind of special magic.. right? I don't know?"

"All I got are some dumb daggers, nothing impressive." Keiko pouts. "Nothing as cool as fire!"

>Ask Keiko about what she knows about fighting and magic.
>She summoned Jack, right? That has to be pretty powerful.
>Kayda! That was cool! Show us something else! Burn all the things!
>Show Keiko your lightning! It's cool, too!
>Other?

>Other?
Ask about that controlling plants stuff, it might be cool.

>Ask about that controlling plants stuff, it might be cool.

Writing!

"What do you know about fighting and magic? I thought Atsuko taught you some things."

"She did, but it was mostly how loud I should yell if I see a real demon." She pouts, "The daggers are really just for show."
"You have priestess magic, right?" Kayda picks up on this line of conversation. "I mean, you summoned Jack. That must mean you're really powerful!"

"I guess." She doesn't seem very excited. "That's different, though. That was just reading text on a scroll."
"Atsuko said she couldn't do it." You remind her, "So that means there's something special about you, right?"

Keiko doesn't answer, instead focusing on the food you've laid out before her.

Your group eats in awkward silence for what feels like an hour. Maybe you were all hungrier than you expected.

Oh! You have an idea.
"Keiko." You set your bowl down. "Can you show me some of this magic you have? The plant one?"

"Oh, it's not very good."
"Just, show me! I want to see it."

She sets her bowl down, as well. Slowly, she concentrates on a patch of ground illuminated by the firelight.

A small plant, covered in thorns, starts to slowly emerge from the ground.

-Until Keiko coughs, resulting in the plant disintegrating into dust.

"It's lame, I know."
"No! That was good!" You pat her shoulder, "But why did it turn to dust?"

"Oh, I'm not to the point where I can keep it there forever."

Well, creating a plant from nothing is still something. That could be pretty terrifying as a weapon.

--

Your group kicks out the campfire, and makes their way toward the big tower in the distance.

"What do you know about this place, Kayda?"
"Never went inside. I got to the door and- just- it was really scary. Okay? I showed up on a night that it was storming and everything."

>Allons-y! In through the front door!
>Let's jump up to the roof and see if there's a way in from there.
>Look for a hole or something to enter the castle through
>Use Magic! Blast our way in!
>Other?

>Look for a hole or something to enter the castle through
Otherwise
We should have Keiko practice with some different plant things.

>Knock and show REALLY LOUD

>show
I mean shout.

Rolled 41, 84 = 125 (2d100)

>Knock and shout REALLY LOUD

Writing!

Hey, could I get a 1d100, best of three?

Rolled 10 (1d100)

Rolled 66 (1d100)

Rolled 4 (1d100)

Great

Writing continues!

How did you manage to make that not greentext?

Good question. It had to be some invisible symbol that snuck it's way in, perhaps from using a text editor. I have no idea how to do it on purpose, myself.

What do you do when you want to let yourself in somewhere?

Why, you knock and shout really loud, of course!

"HEEEEYYYY!" You yell at the mossy, oaken door. "Is anyone in there?! We want to come visit!"

Silence.
As well as several confused stares from your companions.

"Hey!" Your powerful fists rap on the door with fervor. "Come on! Open up! We want to say Hi!"
By the time you're finished, there are two tiny indentations on the surface of the wood. Whoops.

"I don't think anyone is there."
"If anyone was there, they certainly couldn't have ignored that." Kayda crosses her arms.

"Fair enough!" You then ready your next course of action!
Going straight through the door!

"HIIYY-"
"Louise, wait." Keiko points to the door hinge, "I think it's already open."

You blink, and then reach forward and apply light pressure to the front.
Slowly it swings inward with minimal resistance.
"Oh."

You start walking forward when you hear it-
A disgusting click as the door reaches the pinnacle of its arc.

Immediately, you jump back out of the doorframe. Keiko is right behind you, pressing herself against the hand railing.

Except one person.
Kayda, for whatever reason, has frozen in the cusp of the doorway.

"Ergh-" Is all she can manage before a pair of tiny hands wrap around her, flinging her with all their might to the edge of the walkway.

with a woosh, a gigantic steel ball swings out the doorway on an iron chain!
It easily dislodges the other door from its frame, sending it flying.

"K- K- K- K- K- K-" Is all Kayda can manage. Her arms grasping at Keiko, as they both lay on the wooden walkway.
"Are you two okay?!" You shout, hopping over toward them.

"K- K- K- K-"
"I think we're fine. That was close." Keiko seems remarkably collected. You didn't realize she could move that fast.

>Okay! We've seen enough! Let's go!
>..I'll go in alone, be right back.
>Well, let's keep going!
>Uh, Kayda? Want to wait here?
>Other?

Rolled 2 (1d2)

>Like this

It's actually a bug caused from rolling while the first line of text in your post is greentext. I've noticed it a lot when I do choices + rolling.

>This roll doesn't count for anything, btw.

>Well, let's keep going!

>Well, let's keep going!
>Kadya? are you...ok?

Backing this one.

>Well, let's keep going!
>Kadya? are you...ok?

Writing last post of the night!

"Well! Let's keep going then!"

Cautiously, you peek your head into the doorframe to see if there are any more traps waiting around.

Surprisingly, everything else inside seems to have deteriorated into driftwood.
There's a large ballista pointed toward the door. Which, at one time, you imagine would have actually fired real arrows.

Right now, it is little more than a perch for fungus and moss.

"Uh, Louise?" You hear Keiko from the doorway.

Turning around, you're met with a very interesting sight.
"Can you please help Kayda off of me?"

The tanned girl still has her arms wrapped around Keiko. Kayda isn't saying anything, but the expression on her face says more than you hoped it ever would.

"Kayda? Are you.." It's hard to even ask, "..ok?"

"Y-y-yeah!" Kayda studders out her first coherent sentence.

"Really?"
"Yeah! I'm fine!"

Within an instant, Kayda hops up. She has a goofy smile on her face.
"Perfectly fine! That was a close one, Thank you Keiko!"

"Uh, Kayda? Are you sure you're okay?" Keiko stands up, "I mean, you're still shivering."

Kayda's arms wrap around her body.
"Shiver? No! No no, I'm not shivering. Heroes aren't scared of anything! Just- Nervous! That's all!"
"Here, hold onto my hand." Keiko tries to comfort Kayda.
"I- I'm good!"

Quietly, you proceed ahead.
You come across several obvious traps and ploys laid out before you. Fortunately, they were all made of timber, and have long since quit functioning.
That's when you see it. Glistening in the night. Even though it's almost pitch-black in here, it's almost as if it's glowing.

Silver. Several giant crates and chests full of silver pieces. The lumber holding the chests together is starting to give way, and it pours out the sides like sand from a bag.
You're not sure if you've ever seen this much silver, especially not all this in one place.

"W-w-w-w-" Kayda studders.
"What did you find?" Keiko remains collected.

"..I think I just found pirate treasure."

>Thread End

Nothing like a fruitful loli adventure

Imagine the look on Jack's face when we actually found treasure before him.

Keiko found courage, it seems. I guess Kayda dropped it.

Thanks for the thread, everyone.

I love focusing on Louise because it gets me away from the *serious* stuff for a while.

We're about at the end of the ADVENTURES, but I think we have about one more Louise thread left if people can tolerate more ADVENTURES before swapping back to Jack to see how he's doing.

Let me know if you guys wouldn't mind one more adventures thread before going back to Jack. It's been a little while since we've seen him at this rate.

Anyway, thanks for the thread! Keep an eye on twitter because I do intend to try and have another bonus thread (yeah right!) if I find the time for it (yeah right!)

Have a nice night.

One more sounds good

Which kingdom is this treasure in?

As if you have to ask. I'm down for another.

Biscotti.

Okay, one more it is. This will constitute the bonus thread if we have one.

You know, I can't help but think we'd get a bit more attention in /qst/. Just a thought, I'll be here either way.

Yeah, really. The board's there, everyone will be a lot happier if we use it.

You may be right, but I've been ambivalent about moving. This is sort of where the quest started and all.

But then again, I'm pretty sure the people following after a hundred threads would follow me to hell if I asked them to. So I need to think about it some more. It's been something I've been considering.

It would be even more dead on /qst/.

I'm pretty sure everyone in here today (we have only 8 unique IPs, note) came in by following the twitter. An actually decent quest in in /qst/ can't possibly do worse.

I don't follow the twitter. I just join when I see it on Veeky Forums.

Huh. Anyone else?

Well it costs us nothing to try it out for a thread or two, the archives are shared anyway.

You're so fucking wrong, /qst/'ers avoid long quests like this like the fucking plague. I've seen what it's done to several long running quests. It guts them.