Hey Veeky Forums I'm rolling up a rogue for a friend's upcoming pathfinder game...

Hey Veeky Forums I'm rolling up a rogue for a friend's upcoming pathfinder game. As such I need lots of equipment to make me all kinds of useful. What gear is a must for your characters? Also I haven't decided on race yet, halfling feels like too much of a cop out for those rogue stats and racials. I'm kinda feeling the dwarf.

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/leadership---final
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dwarf Rogue is fun. What's your starting GP?

100 ft. of rope, chalk, and collapsible ten-foot pole are the old standbys

after that I keep a grappling hook, paring and deboning knives, and whatever materials my character may need for some spare-time crafting or study

Rolling that now. 160 GP. I thought it'd be interesting, but it drops my charisma to a flat 0. For reference I rolled 3d6 in order just to see what i'd get and I got lucky, getting a 15 in dex.

Bear traps. They're 2 gp but they have offensively high stats for early game dickery.

Trap, Bear

Source PRG:APG

Although intended for trapping large animals, bear traps work as well for trapping humanoids or monsters. The hinged jaws of the trap are attached to a chain, which in turn is secured to a spike driven into the ground to ensure that the victim cannot simply crawl away. Prying open the jaws or pulling the spike from the ground requires a DC 20 Strength check.

Type mechanical; Perception DC 15; Disable Device DC 20

Trigger location; Reset manual

Effects Sharp jaws (atk +10 melee 2d6+3); sharp jaws spring shut around the creature’s ankle and halve the creature’s base speed (or hold the creature immobile if the trap is attached to a solid object); the creature can escape with a DC 20 Disable Device check, DC 22 Escape Artist check, or DC 26 Strength check.

Just become the Trapper Dorf.

>Most people like to sneak up behind people and try to pick their pockets without being seen

>Me? I set bear traps down and just empty their pockets right in front of them.

Forget thief in the night. I'll just be a thug.

Dwarf Thug rogue is hilarious. Everyone thinks the rogue is going to be dick-ass thief but the Dwarf just punches people out and mugs them. Kicks in doors. Uses his axe to disarm traps.

Can be a blast.

This might sound ridiculous and I haven't tested this build out, but check out the Skulking Slayer Rogue archetype and see if you can get your DM to allow a Dwarf one. Get yourself a big two hander, preferably a reach weapon(a dorn dergar or dwarven longaxe/hammer would be great if you dip barbarian or whatever), get the cleave feats including the dwarf ones and surprise follow through, and enjoy AOE sneak attacks.

Alternatively just combine it with scout and be a charger.

>bear traps
>manacles
>rope
>alchemist's fire

Set bear traps around a house, and then throw alchemist's fire on it. People fleeing the house get stuck in the bear traps, and then you tie them up/manacle them. Quickly run in the house and loot it before it burns down.

Best rogue.

That sounds awesome. I kinda want to embrace the Dick Ass thief as i've never played a rogue, but Dick Ass thug might even work better. Have also been looking at the 5e books out of curiosity, what's the deal with skill proficiency and no skill ranks?

It basically means classes are good at things they should be.

Ability checks are 1d20 + Proficiency Mod (if proficient) + the relevant stat ability mod + any circumstantial bonus the DM wants to give you.

It cuts down on paperwork. Basically "Is this something my class should be able to do?", if yes, add proficiency bonus. If no, "Is this something I could reasonably TRY to do anyways?" if yes, roll without prof but still add stats. If no, then you can't do it and can't even roll (like a fighter trying to disarm a complex trap he knows nothing about).

Looking at feats. Is there anything that that's worth taking besides a straight up buff to some of my skill checks?

Core only?

I think my DM will accept anything as long as it's not random ass third party stuff.

Leadership then. It's beyond broken.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/leadership---final

Gotta be level 7 though.

Will definitely look into getting it when I get there. Got anything good for level 1? I'm a rogue so Acrobatic or Stealthy seem alright.

Improved Initiative is the only one worth it at level 1 imo. Never underestimate always going first. Running away first, getting the treasure first, etc.

Dash isn't bad either. Quick Draw is also good depending on your purposes.

Nobody's telling OP to drop the scrub rogue and pick up a beguiler or stalker? Am I still on Veeky Forums?

>literally picking a meme class and being a thug dwarf

I don't think he gives a fuck.

>3d6 in order
Should have tipped you off.

I just wanted to try out rolling 3d6, thought it'd be interesting. And what's wrong with rogues? besides the obvious dick ass thief.

The problems with 3d6 are pretty clear, namely that your average is going to be 10.5, which is baseline. If you're lucky you won't be absolutely terrible at something.

The core rogue in PF is absolute ass. You have few feats, not so good damage, and combat maneuvers like trip and dirty trick require you to overspecialize. The one good thing you have going for you is skill points, which don't even matter because you can only spend up to your level on any one skill, which means you're outclassed as a skill monkey by the Investigator's Inspiration and the Bard's Inspire Competence.

All in all, you're setting yourself up for a very underpowered game. Which is fine, if that's what you're going for, but then the advice we give you isn't really going to have that much of an impact. You can't minmax a turd.

Fair points. I haven't completed my character, I just figured we'd need a rogue. I'm probably thinking too hard in the old archetypes.

Yeah, 4 corner parties aren't really how PF works. If you're interested in playing a rogue, see if your GM allows Unchained. The Unchained Rogue is better than core, though still not particularly good. Other than that, if you're interested in a sneaky character the hunter is good, if you're interested in a skill monkey, try the investigator.

Don't worry about whether or not your character is 'optimized', being a dwarf thug is a wonderful ambition.

As for feats, I'm going to suggest something I've been planning to use for my next game: Dodge.