MTG Standard General -- /stg/

This didn't work last time reeee edition

r8 my U/R Prowess shenanigans deck. I need a sideboard or some suggestions for creature removal (I'm looking at Thing in the Ice for my meta) and some spells to counter the counters that ruin my life facing decks with Black in them.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/storming-prowess/

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-06-16-QCN-mono-white-humans/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/clues-hues/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-06-16-mono-red-aggro/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

> 11$

nice kitchen magic deck bruh.

Post the all star of your deck. That 5 toughness and devoid is such a bitch for control players to handle.

This basically reads "G: Win the game" in my deck.

Holy shit, that may be the lynchpin of the G/W/U Human-buff/clue deck I was envisioning.

Thanks senpai, I have a lot of cards from over the years but I'm absolutely unwilling to spend a lot of money on this. Pay-2-win is unappealing, I just want to have fun.

>silkwrap
>turn to frog
>reflector mage

Bump for advice

Nobody plays white/x control in my meta
Thank god

Would it be a good idea to wait until Eldritch Moon drops to get into standard?

I'd be good to wait for the full spoiler to be out. Then buy in.

been farming store credit with this list

turns out scout target piledriver into bushwhacker is a real line.

Thanks for sharing. I might build it for fnm. What are the bad matchups for this deck?

it isn't really a 'matchup' deck, per se. it has enough aggro and enough reach to punch through pretty much anything but you really, really have to close the door asap. relevant cards you should be aware of are: eldrazi displacer, blighted fen, flaying tendrils, dromoka's command, invasive surgery (won't counter firecraft, but will extripate it with delirium). you're pretty much looking to curve out into a '2-drop-plus-whacker' turn 4 and lights out with firecraft when you untap.

I want some more mill support for my gimmicky Clue mill deck.

Milling people dead rather consistently around turn 5 or 6 is nice but still feels too slow.

I play Bant Clues and I assure you Confront the Unknown is very powerful, and the more you build around clues the stronger it becomes.

The card that truly holds the deck together is none other than an inconspicuous enchantment like pic related. The most efficient way to get clues is to exploit its activated ability alongside Erdwal Illuminator to Investigate several times in your opponent's turn.

What's your decklist user?

These fine gentlemen here. Feels almost as dirty to cast as Siege Rhino, probably even dirtier as I run Mardu control with them.

My decklist btw:

Creatures: (28)
>Thraben Inspector x4
>Jaddi Offshot x4
>Hidden Dragonslayer x4
>Erdwal Illuminator x4
>Bygone Bishop x3
>Graf Mole x3
>Tireless Tracker x4
>Felidar Sovereign x2

Enchantments: (4)
>Ongoing Investigation x4

Instants & Sorceries: (4)
>Confront the Unknown x4

Lands: (24)
>Prairie Stream x3
>Canopy Vista x3
>Yavimaya Coast x3
>Plains x6
>Island x3
>Forest x6

Sideboard: (15)
>Stratus Dancer x4
>Expose Evil x3
>Graf Mole x1
>Declaration in Stone x4
>Whirler Rogue x3

Clues actually have amazing lifegain capabilities, so much than just playing normally should consistently amp your life total way over 40 over the course of an average game.

I'm a bit surprised pic related isn't mentioned. It's a great tool of defense against non trampler. Then again, I'm noob.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-06-16-QCN-mono-white-humans/

regularly hittign 2nd/third on Standard nights with this deck. Intending to make it more aggressive with lower cost creatures, 1 drops with anafenza and thalia's lieutenant are kinda bullshit.

This is the opposite case to Ongoing investigation, it looks better than it really is. Sure, it gives you token generation, which is a good defense but most of your creatures are already defensive enough for the early game and you can certainly spare a few to chump block, but with the lifegain in the deck you can hold out until you out aggro your opponent or you dig into a Confront the Unknown.

The main problem with the card is that its too costly for what it does. You investigate once on ETB whereas Ongoing Investigation allows you to potentially investigate every turn and the secondary ability is vital for the deck.

Using Ulvenwald Mysteries allows the opponent to get ahead of you by casting something that actually has battlefield presence.

I see, thanks. My clue deck lacks a few creatures for ongoing investigation. Barely any of them end up dying.

You don't need creatures to die a lot to make full use of Ongoing Investigation. Just a block here and there and you should be good.

The important thing is that it acts as a sort of deterrent to keep the opponent from attacking. If he attacks, you get a lot of clues with which to kill him, if he doesn't, your board state keeps growing and your life, rising quickly. Moment when you win by slamming down Felidar Sovereign.

What's your deck like anyways?

Pay2win is a meme. Last fnm I got 3-1 with atarka red, played only vs tiered decks. Lost only to an actually good player.

Not gonna lie, I've been extremely tempted to build a mono-green stompy deck, but there just isn't enough pump. There's shit like this, but that involves running a clue subtheme when I'm already trying to do a +1/+1 subtheme for Avatar of the Resolute. And then to get enough good cards I would have to run White. And then since I'm running white there would be no point to not run white staples. If Eldritch Moon has pump, I'm gonna see what I can do.

>Dragons of Tarkir already almost out of rotation when I just got started
>based Tarkir soon to be almost totally phased out
>modern has too many instawins to be noob-friendly
Literally why? My favorite flavor sets are ded and it hurts.

>DTK
>Favorite flavor set
What? That said it's better than what we have gotten but that's a pretty low bar.

Tarkir in general, not just DTK. I like the steppe warrior stuff very much. Innistrad and Ravnica have been really neat to look back at, honestly.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/clues-hues/
Something like this. Almost to embarrassed to post here.

Worst thing about it, like half my friends wanted to build cluedecks too after they saw the first version, so trading was a bit harder.
But yeah, life gain is pretty insane. They also complain how you can get up from basically anything.

Pulled a relentless dead, any decks currently using him and are decent?

Alright, first of all there's no need to worry, we all start somewhere.

Anyways, so I looked over your deck and I saw that you included some cards that aren't legal in Standard:
>Prime Speaker Zegana
>Terastodon
>Shifting Loyalties
>Thornwood Falls

That said I see what you were trying to do here. But there's some serious holes in this deck. For example, you lack a one drop. I use Thraben Inspector for that, which is probably the best 1 cmc creature for Clues. White also allows you to use Bygone Bishop very effectively and use the best removal in the format, Declaration in Stone.

You could try my decklist at Magic Duels if you want, I find it really fun to play and I get the feeling from looking at your deck that it might be right for you.

That said here's some cards I'd take out:
>Byway Courier
>Daring Sleuth
>Mahamoti Djin
>Terra Stomper
>Cancel
>Negate
>Scatter to the Winds
>Titanic Growth
>Fleeting Memories
>Ulvenwald Mysteries

And some cards you could put in or add more of:
>1 Briarbridge Patrol
>1 Graf Mole
>1 Tireless Tracker
>2 Ongoing Investigation
>2 Woodland Bellower
>1 Void Winnower
>4 Blisterpod
>2 Icefall Regent

I play R/U prowess.

Cards like Fevered Visions, Jori En, Harness The Storm etc seem like they should be good, but in fact are too slow. You want to be swinging for 8+ on turn 3 and dealing lethal on turn 4, not playing a card that does nothing for you on turn 3 for a small advantage on turn 4.

Sin Prodder is the only card I'm running that costs more than 2. Get some Brute Strength and Sure Strikes in there.

r8 and advice would be appreciated, working on a red/white/blue nahiri deck in anticipation of edm coming out

decklist:

creatures (15)
>Topplegeist x4
>Ravenous Bloodseeker x2
>Blinding Drone x4
>Incorrigible Youths x4
>Ulamog x1

instants (12)
>Fiery Temper x 3
>Lightning Axe x3
>Send to Sleep x4
>Abstruse Interference x2

Sorcery (3)
>Call the Gatewatch x1
>Tormenting Voice x2

Enchantment (2)
>Oath of Gideon x2

PW (4)
>Nahiri x4

Lands (24)
>Battlefield Forge x4
>Plains x2
>Mountains x8
>Islands x2
>Shivan Reef x4
>Evolving Wilds x3
>Wastes x1

Damn, traded an Icefall Regent for something some time ago. Well, I got the general gist of it. I think I'm gonna put a Willbreaker in the deck instead. I should be able to use it here and there.
Also Torrent Elemental for casual play to cycle it a bit with ongoing investigation.

>tfw no LGS to attend the prerelease in my town
Is it possible to get the prerelease packs themselves?

Do you have a list handy , been wanting to build a clue deck since spoiler season

My list is It's stupidly cheap to build and pretty competitive. Enough to smash face at FNM, though my meta isn't excessively strong.

Torrent Elemental isn't in Standard anymore either.

The sets currently in Standard are:
>Magic Origins
>Dragons of Tarkir
>Battle for Zendikar
>Oath of the Gatewatch
>Shadows over Innistrad

That's why I said casual. I'd like to have some sort of low standard deck, but absolutely hate the Zendikar block.
At least Innistrad looks promising. New Emrakul isn't completely nuts either and I doubt they're gonna include lots of eldrazi cards in em.

Rate my deck?

It's a RW ally equip deck.

Creatures: 21
4 Expedition Envoy
2 Firemantle Mage
2 Resolute Blademaster
4 Weapons Trainer
4 Stone Haven Outfitter
3 Stoneforge Acolyte
2 Kor Bladewhirl

Sorcery: 3
1 Declaration in Stone
2 Magmatic Chasm

Enchantment: 3
3 Stasis Snare

Artifact: 10
4 Bone Saw
3 Captain's Claws
3 Stoneforge Masterwork

Lands: 23
4 Ally Encampment
4 Battlefield Forge
5 Mountain
10 Plains

Sideboard:
2 Burn from Within
2 Expedite
3 Hedron Blade
2 Kor Bladewhirl
2 Mighty Leap
2 Roast
2 Strength of Arms

- This is a budget deck and basically my first deck. I'm trying to keep it as budget as possible while making it decently effective. Yes, this means I won't be buying that Gideon.
- The 1 Declaration in Stone I've got there is the one I got from the prerelease tournament. It's replacing a Stasis Snare. Technically I should have 4 but Declaration in Stone is easier to play.

How should I fix the deck?

How often does felidar sovereign pop off and actually win the game, and whats the general strategy?

Actually, pretty often. By the time Sovereign hits the board you very likely have over 40 life. Clues are also awesome to dig for it while gaining life.

Game plan can is exceedingly simple, either you kill them by damage or win with Sovereign. To do this, you sometimes want to go all out on aggro and others you want to stall the game since its the kind of deck that gives you more value the more mana and permanents are on board. What you want to do will often depend on what resources are available to you and how your opponent is playing.

Most important of all is to generate as many clues early game as possible. For that is vital to get your Erdwal Illuminators on board and investigate at least once every turn. Do it well and youvan get lethal T4 with Confront the Unknown.

This is the deck I'm taking to my first FNM, any suggestions or tweaks?

Fuck me
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/24-06-16-mono-red-aggro/

remove flameblade angel and add 2 more sin prodders and 2 more burn from within