EDH/Commander General

Kresh the Facefucker edition

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-artifact-fun/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pillow-fort-no-one-allowed/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zo-zu-land-hate-edh/
m.ebay.com/itm/Daretti-Competitive-EDH-Deck-/322163279164?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Looking to build a new commander deck.
Omnath or Gitrog? Rakdos is also an option

Surely you can find a more interesting general than that.

But if I were to choose from what you gave me, I'd do toad.

3rd for puma

I'm not the OP, just an user from last thread.
But thanks, was really stuck between the two. If it helps any, I'm sorta new to EDH and mainly like playing Gruul or mono green mashy decks.

>smashy
Fuck this accursed mobile device.

Best/favorite general for Storm?

This flavor text sucks. Why is the non quoted part of the sentence even there? Its redundant, other than to make it sound worse. Do they think the player is an idiot who can't figure it out?

I'd like to make a Zedruu deck. I don't really know what to put in it. what would Veeky Forums recommend for a sub 150$ Zedruu deck that's fun to use?

Probably to make the impression that he's spoken about in hushed legend or somesuch.

Don't build Rakdos. That goes for both Rakdos, lord of Riots, and the color combination in general. Black/red needs a third color to be good because they have no way to play around the fifty or so commonly played enchantments that shut down black or red spells.

Jund is fantastic. Grixis is really good. Even Mardu can work pretty well. Rakdos just doesn't have the tools to succeed. Grenzo is your best bet if you are dead set on playing Rakdos.

Enchantments such as?

So I want to make an Eldrazi deck with some of the new creatures like pic related, but I just feel like the deck lacks real teeth. Anyone got any thoughts, maybe generals that are good for such a deck. I've been thinking mostly Temur looking at Riku and Maelstrom Wanderer.

Not that guy but I play B/R. Glare of Subdual will make you want to drink paint.
Aura shards is pretty bad too. Asceticism, earthcraft, rhystic study, dovescape off the top of my head.

You want Animar, and focus on the Eldrazi that actually feel like Eldrazi. Gravity Negator looks cool and so do a lot of the other new arts, but like you said, no teeth.

Seems like you can solve a lot of those problem enchantment by killing their creatures, which is no problem for RB.

>Glare of Subdual will make you want to drink paint.
Kill their creatures
>Aura shards is pretty bad too
Torpor orb if it's that much of problem
>Asceticism
Black Suns and Edicts care because?
>earthcraft
Kill their creatures
>rhystic study
You're not the only player getting upset by it. Pay the 1
>dovescape
Purphuros, Blood Artist, Zalaport Cutthroat, ect

Rakdos get Ulamog out pretty easily

go rakdos homes, but don't fall in to the trap that makes you run shitty 1/1 unblockables, instead play for value with efficient creatures like obliterator and good overall cards like bitterblossom. damage will happen, you will be able to cast him often enough with shit that does damage and you will get value in the course of the game, rakdos is no min-max commander, he's just the guy that let's you get ahead incidentally and produces mad value.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/budget-artifact-fun/

Opinions on this Bosh build? Any cheap-ish combos worth including? Anything that could work better than some of the cards I included? I'd like to keep it under 100, but if I go up to 150, I'm fine.

>tfw he's not a Berserker
Look at that art and tell me Thrax doesn't look like he listens to Holy Terror while skullfucking his enemies

Illusionist's Bracers

I would slot a Daretti somewhere in there too if you have one

>Myr Welder
Do you have any particular combos in mind with it? It's probably not great just as a value play especially since you want to keep artifacts in your gy to recur.

>Expedition Map
You don't have any particularly powerful lands to tutor, what do you usually get?

Rest in Peace shuts down most of the synergy that black/red has. You might not notice it when you run a three-color deck, but if you try to do something of meaningful impact with black or red, you have to either pay 5+ mana or you have to use the graveyard.

Oh shit, that's a good idea. I'll see if I can find a Daretti for cheap for friends.

Point taken, I'll probably swap those out for the other user's decision, I was flopping around just thinking, 'oh, fuck, what are some good artifacts'.

Oh I know what RiP does to BR. Hell, one of my favorite decks was Liliana, which is mono black. However, you have to be prepared to lose the GY, and if RiP is common place (a lot of metas don't use it because they like their own GY too much), then you should have an answer ready.

Black is more than capable of producing lots of mana, so things like All is Dust, O-Stone, Perilous Vault, Disk, Karn, Ugin, Scour from Existence, both Ulamogs (especially for Rakdos) ect are not out of reach.

>Kill their creatures

This doesn't work in practice. Loading your deck with terminates and board wipes is an enormous disadvantage against decks that can populate the board efficiently. Furthermore, you blow a board wipe on their tokens and small value creatures. They still have all of their enchantments and even the most pitiful token producer becomes a threat.

The only thing that comes close to being efficient enough is loading your deck with gravepacts, but like any good black or red card, it is turned off by rest in peace.

Good luck getting to 10 mana against colors that have better aggressive options and cards you can't interact with.

Another thing to consider is that if these enchantments are so strong and bothersome, there are other players at the table who probably don't like it either. What sensible player will let Earthcraft sit on the table if they can get rid of it?

Hell, if you're really worried, run Praetor's Grasp and/or Sadistic Sacrament and nip the problem in the bud early.

No mention of B/R's under 2 buck best friend?
>inb4 shit posts about how it etbs tapped

Thoughts on this deck? I'd like to know what I could switch and I'd like your inputs on which cards I could use

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/pillow-fort-no-one-allowed/

I mentioned disk here along with all its friends

enchantment 'removal' like o-ring and detention sphere is good because the control doesn't matter

to keep a deck fun find a theme you like and stick with it

The berserker tribal is pretty dead so maybe they didn't want to do that.
But a fucking assassin? He is a burning 6/6 fucking zombie, sneaking into your shit? As a player of him this bugs me. Anyways I will share a story

>4 player FFA
>Memnarch player, bsaically blue/artifact goodstuff with an annoying commander, and a few of our more casual friends
>he has a good draw, Treasue Mage, Grand Architect, Greaves. (they were wiped but did the work)
>He has memenarch out, and blightsteel, equipped with greaves and kills a player.
>did i mention he exiled that player's only blocker with Karn?
>EoT terminate Memnarch
>Swing with a hasty Thrax, He has to sac blightsteel and Karn dies

I lost that game to "lol its late game so you die to Jarad" but it was worth it.

Rakdos, Lord of Riots is so much fun though. You play universal burn spells and cast giant creatures.

Considering the first Assassins were known for public, in-broad-daylight, attacks, maybe Thrax is the sort that just violently pushes through and kills his target?

wouldn't that be Mizzix?

>playing with some friends
>getting a bit late
>well, maybe one more
>and off we go
>Mimeoplasm player gets a turn 4 Soulless One
>it's a 2/2, no problems
>next turn he Traumatizes himself
>now it's a 17/17
>problems
>next turn he drops the Apocalypse on us to revive all of his zombies
>which just so happens to include his combo pieces
>by means of Grimgrin, he gets two Gray Merchant triggers and sacs the rest of his zombies to Diregraf Captain us to death
>game took about ten minutes

Well, I designed this... Probably the most hateful list I've ever come up with. Any opinions?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zo-zu-land-hate-edh/

Mizzix is a really strong storm general, melek is also good, not as good as mizzix but very good

Grixis is the best storm color combo, but unfortunately there's not a perfect commander for the job, an ideal grixis storm deck never casts it's commander and that's unfortunate

I made a red black storm deck once, no blue, it was fine but it had the same problem of not having a commander worth casting

I imagine blue black storm is possible too but missing out on red rituals and past in flames is tough

At least he didnt keep you around forever trying to figure out what to do. I stupidly played a warp world the same day a new guy was introduced to our playgroup. Took him a half hour to figure out his triggers.

Well lads I've decided to do something new and different, and with permission from my playgroup I'm gonna be making Glint-Eye Nephilim voltron only all the voltron comes from combat tricks

I've already got an idea in mind since it's already got built in "Draw THAT (!!!) many cards" when it deals combat damage so I'm thinking a bunch of low CMC pump and evasion spells with the ability to get them back with green and U/R recursion

>Distortion Strike + Giant Growth
>Slip through Space + Might of Oaks
>Colossal Might + Shadow Rift
>Rancor + Reckless Charge

Any neat or powerful instant combat tricks or combos you could recommend? I've got 4/5 the color pie so you never know what that freaky one eyed thing is gonna do. Since I don't need many card draw spells I can stuff lots of them in there.

I traded some mono black staples I had from a deck I took apart for a jace mind sculptor for some reason. Wasn't going to using them. What kind of deck should I start building with him in mind, don't play much blue

I've got quite the legend for you

5 color eldrazi karona the false god.
Go all colored eldrazi, (devoid is fine)
Hard mode:no colorless eldrazi.

I love it.
Have you considered static orb?

Fuck you guys and fuck commander.

My friend used to love MTG. He would draft standard, he had a couple modern decks, we traded and built janky combo kitchen table decks, but now he hates it. He hates everything magic related. Why? Because now he only plays EDH.

Eldritch Moon spoilers come out, all he has to say is "Its garbage shit, no good commanders". Eternal Masters get spoiled, "Muh commanders". Hey user, want to play anything else? "ugh, lets just play commander."

Jesus christ, enough is enough already. He wont be satisfied until he buys and builds EVERY single EDH deck POSSIBLE. He sinks EVERY paycheck into finishing another EDH deck. Two of his friends enable his habit but, damn, I just can't keep up anymore. Its not fun netdecking, buying, playing, rebuilding, rinsing and repeating over and over. He doesn't even seem happy anymore, he just mindlessly plays. He looks more and more clinically depressed every day.

I dont even know why im posting this here, is there something I can do? Should I just suck it up and play with him? Should I tell him i'm burnt out? We used to be best friends but now I feel like if I told him I was taking a break he'd stop talking to me all together. Has this happened to anyone else? God damn, how did this happen?

>draft standard

What?

Anyway magic can be addictive, if he has a money spending problem, you should tell him you're worried

If you think he doesn't enjoy magic anymore, talk to him

Otherwise you should shut the fuck up and play

Sorry your friend is bad with his money?

Why talk to us about this when you can confront him about this?

Go talk to your friend about his spending problems.

Commanders I'm seeing so far that could be good/interesting jenara, rafiq and jhoira. Thoughts? Jhoria seems the most fun, but I imagine she would get stale the fastest since I imagine she pretty much plays the same every game

Needs some draw ability and some more x spells. Also a lifelink equipment might be good on the commander since he deals the damage when a land comes in. Otherwise I think it looks pretty annoying to play against, and I wouldn't want to be your friend.

>no scar
>attacking alone
Shit art desu

Currently running Prossh in Jund, but Kresh is just so great. I fear, I won't get the fodder I need with him as commander though.

So, I had a really grindy Liliana discard deck together that was just really efficient at everything it did, but I took it apart because it wasn't fun to play against apparently. However, with the new set, I kinda want to put it back together. I'm torn because I also have Gisa, which I fucking love.

Is it wrong to have 2 mobo black decks? Is is wrong to also rebuild a deck after you said you would build different decks for awhile?

Does anybody know if this is a good competitive deck to start commander with? Or is competitive stuff frowned upon? I've always been a spike and I want to show up at my LGS on commandrr nights them not expecting it.

m.ebay.com/itm/Daretti-Competitive-EDH-Deck-/322163279164?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

Deck in question.

well, if you like green, smashy stuff, you can just play mono g ezuri - lots of mana dorks and shit, attack with everything + copperhorn scout, overrun a couple of times.

I kinda hate that all the janky fun "casual format" decks were replaced by everyone playing Commander. You don't have anyone to play shitty homebrews with these days. I had to dismantle what I had years ago.

His fault for being a dumbass

>B/R's best friend
>you blow up all your fucking mana rocks
All Is Dust is B/R's best friend

>drafting
>playing modern
You're the pleb here, user. I only play EDH now because legacy and vintage are a trillion dollars and every other format has Mark Rosewater's fat jewish cock in it.

Just play EDH. Drafting is a scam and modern is a ban list treadmill.

was forced into edh by my meta of "red deck wins" and other varients of the like in kitchen table magic

When you say you play EDH, you mean you have a low powered EDH deck. By that logic, you could just make a low powered legacy deck. An EDH deck that's the equivalent power level of a good legacy deck costs about the same as a legacy deck, so your argument is moot because you're equating arbitrary EDH deck power levels to "legacy".

which mono black commander do i build /edhg/?

That's not even remotely true at all. Especially considering that EDH is intentionally played as a multiplayer format. You can have a high powered EDH deck without spending nearly as much money as you'd need to for Legacy.

I also wanna build mono b

Iname, Death Aspect

You can have a high powered legacy deck without spending all that much money too. Cut the red out of Miracles, $300 saved. Cut down to 1 Tundra, $600 saved. Some decks only run 3 Force of Will, $100 saved. Hell if you don't mind taking 2 damage, cut the other Tundra and save another $200. It's like that what you consider to be a power EDH deck isn't really that powerful. Before I dumped a chunk of value from my collection, I could play 1v3 games with Nin the Pain Artist and win. Literally Countertopping an entire table to pieces because fetchlands and Scroll Rack put hella work in.

I ran Hanna countertop, and it was absolutely wonderful.

Literally why? It's so shit as a commander.

I tried out two new decks last night.

Sunastian Falconer (GR): Old frames only. Deck focused on huge aggro and mass land destruction. Winter Orb annoyed people at first, but not as much as the player with Consecrated Sphinx and "lol good stuff" UGR...eventually they realized it was the only thing keeping him in check. Dissappointed that I didn't get to play my favorite Mungha Wurm.

Sedris, Traitor King (UBR): Flashback tribal. A deck I wanted to build just to use Catalyst Stone and Song of Blood. Was fun, but needs more control elements, artifact destruction, and black creatures that drain life on ETB.

I have two mono B decks that are quite different:

Volrath: Discard random 8+ cost creatures, smash face. That fail? Then reanimate said creatures. You get to play random jank like Teeka's Dragon.

Endrek Sahr: Insane synergies, it's a token sacrifice factory. Made up of hundreds of mini-combos. And it's so flavorful to play Thrull Retainer on Endrek to protect him.

Mishra is okay in Grixis, but not necessary.
Dralnu helps makes up for the loss of PiF in Dimir, but then you have to worry about protecting Dralnu.

I've grown bored of my monoblack goodstuffcoffers.dec, and wanted to change it up. I was thinking of building a token centric strategy, and which is more fun; ghoulcaller gisa or endrek sahr?

Skittles aggro

Endrek is more combo-y, as there's no limit to how many times you can use the ability on your turn.

Gisa's more beatdown, as the tokens are larger and you have less restrictions on how strong your creatures can be.

Personally, I prefer Endrek for his strong flavor.

>Might of Oaks
>not Might of the Nephilim for maximum flavor

I miss other formats too. I miss 60 card casual.

when your 60 card casual is filled with red aggro and all its jund boros varients, it gets stale real fast

>Buying an entire EDH deck premade off ebay

You're already doing it wrong.

I just built Endrek Sahr and the deck is TONS of fun, and it's actually really good. I think it's the first time I've built a deck that successfully walks the line of being fun for everyone at the table and actually good and capable of going off and winning.

The "we thought Prodigal Sorcerer was too strong and decided to tone it down" legend.

EDH stops being fun when you realise that some cards are legitimate must includes if you want your deck to be any good. Oracle of Mul Daya goes in every green deck, Glen Elendra Archmage goes in every blue deck.

endrek inspired me to build an ayli deck

not really, sometimes its better to just run sakura tribe elder instead of oracle

Boulderhead isn't even close to the power level of Oracle in a format like EDH. Sure there's reasons to run Boulderhead like if you're playing Meren, but Oracle should always be in that deck anyway.

Or just run Exploration, comes down earlier and is less fragile.

Ok lads I want to build another commander deck but can't decide which, here's my unused legendaries

>Mina and Denn Wildborn
>Exava, Rakdos Bloodwitch
>Tajic, Blade of the Legion
>Athreos, God of Passage
>Brimaz, King of Oreskos
>Isperia the Inscrutable
>Kozilek, thd Great Distortion

Doesn't generate card advantage.

Just play Star then. Aggro decks can't handle 2 people.

I run Lyzolda. I've definitely had problems with enchantments, but O-Stone and Chaos Warp is usually plenty. I think you are underestimating the color combination.

I hate to be that guy but "dies to removal" is actually a valid comment here.

2 of us are still interested in 60, so its about 7 years too late for that.

and even then, casual re animator isn't quick enough for the other guy

Perhaps I worded my answer wrong. Ok, how about "Exploration is a bad card because having 4 land down by turn 2 then proceeding to draw 1 card per turn doesn't get you anywhere."?

if you can get it for less than $400 or so then you'll be able to at least make some money by selling it as singles but you probably shouldn't buy it

If you're at 4 lands turn 2 and you don't have anything that can help you generate card advantage by then, you built your deck wrong.

so when will vorinclex be banned? or should every deck run seedborne muse to counter it?

Not sure if heres good but my local scenes are doing Pauper Edh and I have no clue whats a competitive deck to build for it, any suggestions?

I'd rather just play Oracle and have both in one package. Fast mana doesn't mean as much in this format.

>doesnt matter
>literally 75-85 percent of turn one sol rings / mana crypt contribute to fast win

Sol Ring is 1 card. Exploration and 2 land is 3 cards.

>people complain how all these threads are is people complaining about cards and how they want to help or give advice
>people post asking for advice is ignored by more people complaining about cards

Face it Veeky Forums you're addicted to chaos and shitposting and don't know any other way

Never, because he's an 8-drop that you can kill or counter

> want to build karlov, realize how boring the lol I gain life game is
> want to improve my gitrog deck
> realize how boring the green staples I need are
Think I'm going to make my gitrog deck primarily a zombie deck with some counter gaining shenanigans and make my green additions forced to fit a swamp type theme. Slugs, turtles, etc.

if its regarding pauper edh, my playgroup tried to do that, but it never went anywhere. was good for one or two games then we just got over it really

make gitrog reanimator. It's much more interesting than the average pepe that just focuses on his lands clause