Youtube channels discussing tabletop systems

>Extra Credits
>Errant Signal
>Super Bunnyhop
>Gamemaker's Tool Kit
I've got a ton of subscriptions of people who will wax philosophically about how this or that video game mechanic is important, but why are the only Youtube channels for tabletop games people reviewing board games or playing games. Sometimes explaining how to play or set up board games.

Why aren't there any channels talking about different game design theories? Why do I have to link a video about video games when I want to explain to someone how mechanics can create emotional weight?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qwPe3OHR04c
youtu.be/2bsxQZ5JDec
youtu.be/7_tdztHiyiE
youtu.be/fgIeBgLO6rY
youtu.be/XfFteTrAvZw
youtu.be/4jKsj345Jjw
youtu.be/ghrI2Vb8u2U
youtu.be/0V5eq4IQ6Go
youtu.be/SQhxtfKH1f8
youtube.com/c/aaronderschaedel
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

And I don't just mean RPGs, either. Sure, RPGs are great, and there are a lot of RPGs that have really neat, interesting mechanics that shape the kind of games they are (M&M's Toughness, MtAw's Creative Thaumaturgy, GURPS' blandness), but there are a lot of board games and even Magic cards where you just get this sense of the mechanics doing a lot to sell the theme of the game.

I've actually heard that as the biggest divide between "Euro" and "Ameritrash" board games: One has tacked on themes and the other is all about theme first. The best board games have mechanics that are engaging and interesting while still working to highlight the theme of the game. For instance, the way Forbidden Island's increasing Flood Deck and shore up mechanics really give the sense that you're on an island that's sinking, even if "draw cards and trade them in for the treasure" isn't all that thematic.

>extra credits

I deleted my fedora meme folder, but that's what I'd post there. Really, they're not as smart as they think they are.

I was hesitant to add that one because I knew there'd be posts like this.
Really it doesn't matter how smart they are, they're still a channel for the thing I said they do, and there are a ton of those channels for video games but not for tabletop mechanics.

I've even seen blogs about this or that gameplay mechanic or game style (West Marches blogs and How2DM blogs come to mind), but never any Youtube channels.

It might be time to move beyond youtube and on to books.

youtube.com/watch?v=qwPe3OHR04c

I'm specifically looking for Youtube channels, though. That format of someone rambling on talking about a subject and relating it to the books they've read.

Also that doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for at all.

That's what game design looks like to professionals but fair enough.

I don't want professionals. I want stuff like this
youtu.be/2bsxQZ5JDec
youtu.be/7_tdztHiyiE
youtu.be/fgIeBgLO6rY
youtu.be/XfFteTrAvZw

youtu.be/4jKsj345Jjw
youtu.be/ghrI2Vb8u2U
youtu.be/0V5eq4IQ6Go
youtu.be/SQhxtfKH1f8

Aww. It's Wander and Agro from Shadow of the Colossus.

Yup

I know of one channel, but from what I've heard, not many fa/tg/uys are fans of Counter Monkey.

That's Spoony's channel, right? I don't care for all the shitty cuckmeme antiSJW or whatever drama he was involved in. But at the same time man his voice is fucking grating.

I can't remember what his main show on That Guy With The Glasses was, but his voice, man...

>Extra Credits
Cancer

>Errant Signal
DMCA
M
C
A

I'm gonna go binge watch brote pillman
ty my man

I make RPG videos and put them on Youtube -- though I currently pay more attention to how a game's mechanics work than why.

(I also kind of suck since art and videography weren't what I studied in school, but that's beside the point.)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, and hoping it doesn't die before some interesting and useful discussions crop up.

extra credits is really annoying because he pitches up his voice and preaches from a soap box like he some kind of authority

but he does have good points and at the very least gets people thinking about things. I think if he changed his format a bit the difference in reception would be huge.

too bad bad is batshit insane. He got dropped from penny arcade because of that, and then the escapist because of that. If we weren't now in an era where he could self publish on youtube he would be SOL

Shut Up & Sit Down often talk about the philosophy, design and themes of analog games, though they're more focused on boardgames than RPGs.

Of course, the site's writers are also outspoken opponents of sexism and racism, so expect everyone ITT to shout them down as "oppressive SJW cucks" or "liberal cancer" or whatever the latest bullshit label may be, regardless of any merits their work may possess.

Why not link your thing?

>extra credits is really annoying because he pitches up his voice
It takes some getting used to
>preaches from a soap box like he some kind of authority
This is literally untrue and honestly they spend too much time reminding us that they're not experts.

Also, they left the Escapist because the Escapist made a hinky deal with them (Escapist is kind of known for that, which is why Yahtzee is basically the only thing they have left) and PATV downsized more than just Extra Credits.

I notice that a lot of people go to a lot of effort to dislike things on the internet.

I'm honestly surprised only Extra Credits has been called out in this thread. Other than the one guy who mentioned Errant Signal, though I don't know what "DMCA" is supposed to mean in this context. I suppose I didn't add Jimquisition to my list, but he talks more about the gaming community and industry than mechanics and "what fun means" and things like that. Still, George is someone I could see getting called an SJW, though I suppose after Konami attacked him he's a bit of a golden boy.

As for Shut up & Sit Down, I'm looking at their videos and only seeing reviews and How2Plays, but I'll look a bit harder.

>all the Extra Credits fanboys in this thread

You realize you need to be 18 to post here, right?

I'm surprised anybody that likes Extra Credits can even figure how to type on a computer.

You know, I was worried people would be /v/tards about that, but I didn't expect it to be the only thing that got mentioned...

It's like I'm really on /v/

Don't make threads about horrible e-celebs if you don't want to be called out on it

I have some reservations about sharing things that identify me on Veeky Forums -- a little bit of blowback from when this place was known as "The Internet Hate Machine."

But, if you insist, sure. I've probably done dumber things.

youtube.com/c/aaronderschaedel

>Extra Credits
Only really watch them for their history side project

I have no idea abot meaning of a single of listed terms

they're youtube channels

But you're the only one who cares about the e-lebrity status.

Context clues. Or Googling.
But yes, as says, they're Youtube channels.

It honestly is better. I mean, I'm not all "they know nothing of which they speak!" but really if I want more in-depth knowledge, at this point I've got better channels. They're Baby's First Games As Art Critique. The history stuff is something more unique.

>But you're the only one who cares about the e-lebrity status.

No, the board rules are actually pretty clear. Veeky Forums - Traditional Games, not Veeky Forums - /soc/

Senpai this is a board about board games not fucking youtube celebrities.
That cancer get spread enough everywhere else.
Also fuck off EC nobody likes your stupid self-righteous shit.

Oh hey, you're that guy I've seen around the Tenra Google Community. How are ya dude?
Unfortunately, I've been too lazy to watch any of your videos.

Pretty much only Veeky Forums related youtuber I watch is Yuri Prime but he isn't in english so nobody cares

Aside from this I watch a couple of painting-related channels,mostly Dr.Faust

I may have mis-spoken. SUSD don't really do direct "design" videos, pointing to a specific mechanic and saying "X works because Y" or "A doesn't work because B, C and D". It's more that their reviews and podcasts tend to have a very critical bent, often detailing issues they have with games, why their themes or mechanics don't quite work, and so on. It's more of a holistic approach to game design thought, than stuff like Errant Signal or Extra Credits.

Basically, think of their work as more of a supplementary source of design thought. It's totally worth watching in itself, but if you're only looking for direct design pointers then you're going to have to sift through a lot of chaff.

I actually GMed a two player game of TBZ today.

Even though common sense says "No this shouldn't fucking work," we couldn't find any explicit rules forbidding a Kugutsu from having Annelid powers.

...so one of my players was a wooden doll filled with termites that fixed their host.

I might share more details about that game somewhere more appropriate, though. I don't wanna derail this thread too much more.

That and I'm getting tired right now.

But you're the only one who gives a shit about them being "youtube celebrities". Motherfucker this isn't /v/.
>"Here is a thing that exists for video games, why is there nothing like this for tabletop?"
Christ, we get it, you don't like a thing on the internet, so you feel the need to barge in and tell everyone how much you don't like it.
Most people give zero fucks.

Ah. I'll give a few of them a look. I know Rahdo tends to do that, but he's very... I don't know, he doesn't have a big vocabulary when it comes to articulating things. He also goes off on tangents.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for, to be honest. I just got into an argument in the /wodg/ about how adding mechanical subsystems for non-combat aspects of a game isn't a terrible sin of game design, it's good. It creates meaning by contextualizing actions and choices, and keeps the aspects of the game represented by those subsystems feeling unique. Social Maneuvering, combat, and Chases are all very different subsystems.

Unfortunately all I could really link to was Errant Signal on Win States and emotionally resonant mechanics.

Man fuck off.
Literally what do you want youtube channels to talk complete bullshit about tabletop games to you.

>n-nobody cares but you!

No, I also think you're cancer

>Motherfucker this isn't /v/.
What are you on? /v/ has a hard-on for youtube shitters.
The nice thing about this board is we talk about the actual topic instead of some e-celeb cunt who it tangentially related at best.

But... you're the one who keeps bringing up Extra Credits. I am literally asking you to stop talking about Extra Credits and talk about the topic.

Also are you new or something? Veeky Forums never talks about the topic. There's another thread talking about whether unions are bad and the topic was "a thief pretends to be a cleric"

>Also are you new or something? Veeky Forums never talks about the topic.
Yes i have also seen 1d4chan. Did you just arrive from there?