WIP / PAINTING THREAD

Nobody wants to post in a dying thread Edition

Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

Other urls found in this thread:

steamforged.com/gb-union
youtube.com/watch?v=_87cjGF1eJA
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-make-simple-necron-crystal-bases.html
greenstuffworld.com/en/99-resin-crystals
anarchymodels.co.uk/anarchy-crystals-8-c.asp
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Interior is starting to come together.

Got the skin about done, now Ive got to redo the leather and pants so theyre a bit more noticeable

Basically a lrdg inspired Taurox Prime

>Taurox
You using wheels on that?

That's really nice! Good work.

see

Also got one of these guys painted up today

Mostly finished Blood Angels tac squad.

Mixed with a vanilla tac squad so they aren't covered head to toe in wings and rope.

I see that the staff isn't attached to the arm in the clamshell terminator librarian.

Is a regular force axe that I have around able to be used on that, or is the hand on the axe too small for the terminator?

Am I going crazy or was there a Knights of Blood marine here a minute ago?

Looks good.
Liking the orruk models

That's the way to do it. Looks nice

Thanks, mate.

Here are my first two Death Company.
The Vanguard Veteran legs are a bit larger than other kits.

Where'd ya get the wheels? I'm thinking of making an MRAP Taurox myself.

It's cause they're tiptoe walking instead of bending their legs.

So, I'm trying to do a model with the bottom like this, smoke and mist.

How would I go about that, I guess? I figured on a wire frame, and then something to model the smoke, but I wasn't sure what.

I don't need it to look exactly like smoke, so if there's a method to do a more solid greenstuff concept for it, that would be great as well.

Went looking, found this as roughly what I'm interested in.

This is what I'd like to go for. It doesn't feel especially hard to model, since it's just a semi formless shape, but I'm curious on if there's any specific tricks or concepts to doing it.

What's the craft store version of this shit? I don't want to import it and I would like to get a larger volume of it for my dollar.

It's called Acrylic Medium or Acrylic Thinner. Buy Liquitex brand if your store has it.

Thanks.

>no posts for hours

WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENIIIIIIING

>Assembling the models completely before painting

You're either courageous or more gifted than I am. Probably the latter. It's a bit disheartening to have all these tiny bits on paperclips waiting to be painted.
But at least the painting is simpler and putting together really feels like the last steps, and it's so damn enjoyable to see it finally come to life.

People are painting user.

After suggestion by someone in here about a week ago, I finally got a hold of some Oomoo to make molds with. Here are three I have made.

First one was a test with a Micro Art Studio Old Factory 50mm base. Should have done it with the insert off, but that thing was goddamn solid, so fuck it. Also, I didn't pour enough on the side with actual detail, so I think it might fuck up when pouring the resin. We'll see.

This one is what I was planning to do from the start. Since taking this picture, I've cut a line from the tip of the tail to one of the back sections to help trapped air escape.

Last completed one is a sprue of three tombstones from a set made by Reaper. The other 3 weren't part of a sprue, and I wan't to make just 3 more for a friend's Carrion Thralls he bought at Lock N' Load.

I should probably cut some lines between the center stone to the two on the side, for the same reason as for the 'thrope tail.

Sorry the images are huge. They're almost as big as I am a huge faggot.

>~200kb
>1280x802

No user, you're one of the good guys.

>tfw bought a new team for a new game over the weekend
Time to get busy, then.

Why the shit does the instructions sheet for the Vindicator tell you to put the Rhino's doors on, if the Vindicator's extra side plates don't fit over these doors?

What game is this?

Looks like Guild Ball.

Based on the snake, Union as the faction.
steamforged.com/gb-union

Yup, it's Guild Ball, the Union team. Players are Blackheart, Gutter, Rage, Avarisse & Greede, Decimate, Mist, Snakeskin, and Coin.

I love the A&G model. The little guy is actually magnetized, and you pop him off the model when he jumps out to play football.

That looks cool, I have stuff I need to make molds but I have no idea what I'm doing, especially when I see people mixing putty, greenstuff and miliput and shit, meh

How old is the manual? Why are you telling us now? Are you having trouble figuring it out? No? Then you're just procrastinating. Get back to work.

I found this super helpful.
youtube.com/watch?v=_87cjGF1eJA

Zinge Industries. Best wheeled kit I've used so far.

What putty do you use to hold miniatures together before/while painting?

Blu tack

tiny bit of super glue
im lazy

I've been working on this little tank from puppetswar, pic shows my progress in four days. Paint, decals with chips and rust, weathered and washed with lenses painted. Its turned out pretty well so far I think. The last thing I want to do is a little bit of detail work on the treads.

What model is this? Looks good

Its an mk II turret on a turret platform. The hatch opens and theres a pilot inside so I thought it would make a neat little light tank.

What's a good way to achieve the red-glow effect pictured here without using an airbrush? I was thinking just a very light drybrush before applying the white paint-yellow wash for the core.

Ok, this should be a quick alter. SHouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

First we remove some of the parts we want to replace

Forgot picture

Next, I apply paint until it's covered. Done

Wew

Blue tack or whatever your local brand of tack is called. You can get it at any dollar store. Malleable gum works too but less well

None of the words you just said make sense in a sentence this way.

No habla ingles? Made perfect sense to me.

That might work; the other angle you might want to try is red glazing towards the center before washing it.

I need an AA turret I can stick on top of a Russ chassis, preferably on that's not too awful tall. But all the ones I can find are all EU based. Ideas for a US provider?

What's the issue with EU?

Maybe he doesn't want to wait 2 weeks for his shit?

Oh.

Bits have never taken more than a week for me, but maybe I just get lucky.

I'm also patient for stuff I want

I'm in butt fuck nowhere and for some reason anything outside of the US takes forever to get here. It shouldn't really matter once it makes it in the states, but for some reason they like to sit on it.

it's been a while /tg, somhow during greenstuffing the gaps i dropped my clone. that sound when mini hits hardwood floor...

but i got it back together plus i worked on the base some more

thats the most unorkified grot tank ive ever seen

Glow effects using traditional brush are usually done using glazes.

Ask about 50% of Britons today.

what am I looking at here? not that it isn't neat

Why are you doing a two parter for a base?

>Get a bit of glass.
>Build a Lego frame, clay around the bottom.
>Sit all your bases in there face up, blutac for security.
>Pour silicon over the top. Once that cures you have your mould.
>Cast resin inside for solid flat bottomed bases.

Finished my terminators.. not feeling very good about them. Hopefully basing them will cheer me up.

Also, it stings when you hit your skill limit. My freehanding sucks and the paint job isnt neat but i cant make the effort to take more time.

Any tips on how to improve? Also touch up work?

Do the old 2nd edition thing of putting a printed banner on the middle guys bannerpole.

I like them,but i personally think you could have used a darker red. Having complementary contrast is nice, but i think the red looks too bright.

Pics are a bit too blurry to actually make out the fine details of the models, but they're not bad. You can officially state that you're batter than 60% of the people who post here. You've kept inside the lines at least.
The things I can pick on is the firetruck red weapons, and just a really boring colour scheme. Whites could use a wash or something to give depth, edge highlights may need some touch ups to straighten them up.

>order suspicious packages from Islamic countries
>wonder why customs is checking it out

a darker orange instead of the red could work great with the grassgreen too and make for a nice contrast

you could try to work the grips of the hammer as if they where banded with leather like the middle grip in pic related

the grip on the upper left one (the only one i can see good enough) looks kind of greasy

I think this constitutes a heavy flamer.

green's complementary is red not orange though. Is there a reason why you would use orange? Also i am usually a fan of golf course bases, but i think it would look silly under a green slab such as his armour

Screen of my current project to design shapeways models of modular, ring-engine spaceships inspired by no franchise in particular. Scalebar is in 5mm squares.

also it just occurred to me, try(not on the models, try on some scrap thing) to highlight the green with a mix of the base green plus yellow, that desaturated yellow you used for highlights makes them more boring in my opinion.

Any advice on how I should base these? Don't really care to do the generic grass, but feel it would look the best. Want to figure something out before I go to the hobby store to buy other things.

Try churches

Make them fight necrons.

a dark colour to contrast with how bright they are.
Some sort of black ash wasteland type thing.

Silly user, they're not knights.

Basically this. You need something dark to make all that shinyness stand out even more. I'd go for the good ole' post terminatus look. Use sand, paint it black, drybrush with some kind of grey. Add skulls, bones and burned grass to your own liking. Should look pretty sweet.

green red and white, the Christmas marines

I could see a forest/jungle or dark swamp kind of base going on there.

just sand will look good? some video I was watching said baking powder/soda (don't recall which) looks good as sand since it's more fine.

nice meme
necron bits would look cool with the above suggestions, but I don't have any atm

I regret gluing the shouldpads on because I'll be priming them red and painting the shoulder trim black so that will be a little tricky.

I leave assault marines heads off so the yellow is easier but I've never had trouble getting the brush between the bolgun and chest.

>necron bits would look cool with the above suggestions, but I don't have any atm
you could do the generic ash wastes and green crystals look.
You can get crystals like that from green stuff industries or zealot miniatures.

Now we're really getting places with this thing. Just gotta add some joint details, engine block and such, finish up the main turret and I think it'll be good to go.

I didn't do that base the way you're describing because it was my test mold to make sure I understood the process. A simple thing with smooth surfaces. I fully comprehend what you're saying, and I agree that it is a better way to do something like a base. I just wanted an easy option to test doing a 2-part mold first.

could you put a marine next to it or put a 60mm base under it to give a better idea of it's size?

hope the feet aren't glued to the base otherwise painting is gonna be a real pain

that sounds like it would be cool, I already got the new green gem shit. I couldn't find crystals from either of those sites, but I found this where a guy made crystals from sprue that I think I'll do fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/05/how-to-make-simple-necron-crystal-bases.html

The finer, the better. Baking powder should be primed befor applying paint, so be careful. Also mixing and matching might give you some good results and better texture.

>modern johnny
Looking good

So Veeky Forums, got into painting minis a bit after following the thread. Bought some shitty brushes to start out with, and they all went to shit, so started buying some nicer ones, especially for detail work.

How the fuck do I learn to care for brushes? Some of the nicer ones aren't keeping their tips worth shit, and the bristles split off into 2-4 bunches. Given that these aren't shit brushes, I'm assuming this is all my fault. I'm cleaning them off after use before they can dry out, and I'm not storing them sitting on their tips. Any thoughts/links?

Also, all my brushes that do keep their bristles together seem to all bend slightly at the end in a curve. how's that happening?

i think you could be imprinting too much strenght on your brush, when putting colour on the palette do a twisting motion, don't splat it around or you will deform the brush. when painting don't do movements like you are drybrushing, never bend the tip, just make it contact the surface without applying any strenght.

>Be careful when thinning your paints not to suck the paint straight up the ferrule by adding too much water
>use some dishwashing soap to get the pigment out of your brushes when working extended periods of time
>get some master's brush soap for condition after cleaning
>use a separate brush for washes/glazes/special paints

>I couldn't find crystals from either of those sites
I'm sorry. Totally screwed that up and got both names wrong.

greenstuffworld.com/en/99-resin-crystals
anarchymodels.co.uk/anarchy-crystals-8-c.asp

Finished my DP for a comp. That's the photo I've submitted. Pretty happy with the end result, although it's hard to judge one's own work after staring at it for that many hours.

i think it would have been nice if you did something more noticeable with the wings, they are pretty big after all.