Have you ever ripped off a character concept

Anything books, anime, film
Did you ever lift an entire character.
How did it turn out did you manage to get the same arc as the original character or did you end up different

I did pic related. it turned out very differently as the defacto leader of the party never betrayed ups so basically I ended up playing guts in a prolonged golden age until I died too vampires

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=waQ6K6EtoqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Cwp7APBgCsI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Everyone has at some point. Those that say they haven't ARE FILTHY FUCKING LIARS JUST LIKE MY EX-WIFE AND PARENTS. FUCKING SANTA REALLY?!?!

All art is derivative. If people don't know the reference, you're a genius. If people recognize the reference, say it's an homage. If you're getting too much flak for the reference, say it's a parody.

/thread

>Rippinf off something from anime

No, I don't have any desire for sameface characters with chins and noses that can pierce plate mail, and eyes that would make a beholder uncomfortable.

Guts has a pretty square face though

Congrats. One weeb artist managed to learn a shape other than a triangle, though they made up for the lack of pointy chin with a head full of daggers.

Congrats your a twat have a cookie!

I literally played Not-Raistlin for a 4 year campaign.

Was fine. He had his own goals and everything, just had all the same ailments and mannerisms.

I don't do a 1-1 copy, but i do take stuff from several characters.
My first character was a boxer who had a 'guardian' spirit, he was a mix of joseph and josuke.
Another character was a power rangers/super sentai actor who didnt take out the costume
And right now i got a girl who looks similar to ryuko from kill la kill, and a friend plays a sentient sword shaped like a red scisor, only my pc can hear him talk. He also likes to rap during battle

Actual picture of user

Not entirely. I always recombine traits of few characters into one.

Yes and no. I generally take a character I really like in a vidya/show/book/anime and sit down while basically replaying how the character is in my head, then I change things here and there till till I get a homage to the character I picked but it is an entirely different person.

As a GM I do this all the time. One of two things happens:
A: The players get the reference and laugh before playing things out as if nothing weird had happened.
B: The players are none the wiser and just treat them as another character.

I used a different image of pic related as character art along with a bunch of superficially similar character flaws. The character turned out really well, but I wouldn't really be able to compare the two characters after the first few sessions.

>Disliking anime
>On an imageboard originally made to discuss anime
>Populated mostly by weebs

I fucking hate you newfriends who stumble onto here thinking it's a den of le ebin trolls.

>Liking anime and feeling the need to remind everyone you like it in boards not at all related to anime
>On an imageboard where the majority of boards have nothing to do with your weebshit
>Populated mostly by people who don't actively post in the weeb boards

You faggots have always been a vocal, entitled minority. Nothing more, nothing less.

>sameface characters with chins and noses that can pierce plate mail

That sounds pretty useful. Use your chin and nose as natural weapons.

see

If it was a true minority, why do we hold all the power then?

checkmate autist. I bet you've never even watched anime, you just hate it because of a few nerds at your school.

Nice dubs though bitch.

>Why do we hold all the power?
Except you don't? The admin and the moderators/janitors are the only people here in a position of power.

If you're mistaking mod laziness for cleaning up weeb shitposting (which almost always ends up being a ban evasion and even harder shitposting in retaliation) as power, then embrace whatever delusion you need to get yourself through the day.

"It's a parody, I swear to God." It was actually a coincidence

I'm playing not-Guts too as an Eva pilot

D&D with the female equivalent of Jayne Cobb, I regret only not to have the time to play more.

Figures that you'd actually rip a character out of some media when your taste is this terrible.

You know I can reverse search images too, just in case I had any unfounded suspicion?

I made FemGriffith.
Want to meet up and fight?

I was just randomly searching images for black-haired musicians and found it that way.

I did the cast of Scooby-Doo for two sessions before the players caught on. I changed the names of the characters of course but their actions and what they would say we're scooby dooby dooo

It was a coincidence, but the game turned out great.

Given he's almost certainly meant to be white due to the setting, its kind of amusing that Guts is one of the few anime/manga characters who actually looks Japanese.

Actual picture of user

The weebs are annoying, but you hardcore anime-hate weirdos are worse. I think 99% of anime is trash, but I'm not going to waste my life hating on it.
I guarantee basically everything you like is perceived to be trash by someone else. Some of the stuff I like (Magic 2.0, Spawn, etc.) certainly is.

I could see that working. Guts' personality is mostly a response to horrible circumstances, which is something you can easily port into Eva.

Yeah, the difference is unlike weebfags I don't insert my shit where it wasn't desired or belongs.

We wouldn't have to be outwardly vocal about it if weebfags learned how to stay in their cancer containment boards to talk about the shit they want to.

Scooby Doo's cast is based on some really fundamental archetypes, so I'm not surprised they didn't notice for a while.
A lot of horror fiction (particulary Cabin in the Woods and Buffy) have central casts that mirror the Scooby Gang.

Why does it bother you so much? Just ignore posts that don't interest you.
And if its all over a board, doesn't that imply the users on that board DO desire it?
I just don't get your frustration here.

>Why does it bother you?
Because there's a perfectly functional fucking board to talk about the shit they want, but instead feel the need to shitpost on other boards out of some childish sense of entitlement?

Because for every thread that is off topic, there's one less thread that could be on topic?

Also, never said it was "all over". As stated, it's just a vocal minority. But even 5% of cancer is still cancer.

The fact you can't figure that out makes me wonder why you're on Veeky Forums in the first place. Clearly someone that fucking retarded shouldn't be capable of playing tabletop.

Yes, more than once.

Never to literal expy level, but I almost always start with an existing character for my base concept.

Remember not to feed the troll, friend. Why don'cha tell us more about characters you made?

I did a mix of Spawn and Mega Man inspired by an AV Club article once that was pretty chill.

That's fucking rad. I've been trying to basically make my Goliath into a 90's wrestling star but I keep mixing heel and face characters into their persona too much since both are so fun. I need to stick with something so I can have consistency.

>I don't insert my shit where it wasn't desired or belongs.

The funny thing about people who complain about anime, is that they rarely complain about games or television shows being brought up and inserted into conversations. "anime" is just the japanese word for "animation". It's television from another country. It's not some distinct cultural entity with certain traits that is a closed community, cyclical in nature and all consuming.
It's just animated shows.

Complaining about anime is akin to complaining about spanish soap operas, or euros talking about football matches. It may not be your cup of tea, and believe me I prefer hockey to football/soccer, but there's no reason to piss in the tea because of some perceived culture surrounding the object.

I lifted ideas from a character in Gaurdians of Ga'hoole once, but that's as close as I've ever come to out-right copying.

I accidentally made a character who was a lot like Tiny Tina from Borderlands (young, nuts, savant with machines/explosives though he was more into the former). Me and my buddy did a double take when we finally ran into her on BL2.

I played Sun Wokong in Exalted. It went pretty well, although I never did finish the campaign and topple the Celestual Bureucracy.

Anakin Skywalker, sort of. He was much more likeable than in the movies, and it wasn't intentional at first.
It's just that my character kind of turned into Fantasy Darth Vader.

I too played in a game with a female Jayne Cobb, most of the fun was just character interactions.

>This autist believes that the mods and admins aren't weebs.
POINT AT HIM AND LAUGH

My first ever character was "House M.D. but with ghost magic" and it turned out passable. The game was pretty short, so I don't know if he would have held up to long-term scrutiny. I've made an effort since then to blend sources of inspiration to make something that feels original, though I don't always succeed.

I do play with a guy who keeps taking joke concepts too far and insisting they are legit characters. Things like "dude, John Cena would make a hilarious shadowrunner" or "you can totally build the entire cast of TF2 in V:tM" which make fun enough thought experiments but don't hold up in an actual game no matter how much he tries.

Pic unrelated, I just want to trigger the anti-weeb user.

Sure you were

Yeah I find in terms of the roleplaying side, its best to come up with a central dramatic theme for the character and then figure out the details based on that.
The character I did was meant to be all about being unnecessary or obsolete, so I took the concept of Spawn being a man resurrected at a time when he no longer has any value to the people he loved in life and mixed it with the idea from this article of Mega Man being obsolete after Mega Man 2.
The ultimate product was a man who had been a war hero in life brought back in a robot body into a world where the war that gave him definition was long forgotten and his family had moved on. Was pretty cool.

>I don't insert my shit where it doesn't belong
>is literally doing that right now

Did he like sand?

Also we're literally having a discussion about taking characters from fiction. Anime is fiction. It's not OT at all.

rip sandy claws

Not really.
He got Mustafar-ed in a desert city, so...

Because you're autistic and can't stand something you dislike spilling over into your special place huh? He's clearly not retarded and has given you some constructive advice about how and why you should calm the fuck down but you'd clearly rather piss and moan. I don't think anyone in either community would like that mindset. You personally have no say in how things go and if you want a different atmosphere simply go somewhere else.

Had an old Gamma World character that was basically X-Men's Nightcrawler.

A D&D character whose looks and personality were that of an elvish Gabrielle (from Xena, Warrior Princess).

John Galt as an Objectivist paladin (a concept follower, not a follower of a God of Objectivism which would be a tad self-contradictory)

You are on a website, its not some fucking shrine that needs to be kept pure, you fucking autist.

>IT DOESN'T NEED TO BE PURE EVEN THOUGH RULES DICTATE SHIT SHOULD BE ON TOPIC
>Wow, why is this guy responding to us spamming and shitposting where it doesn't belong?

Weeaboos. Too fat and retarded to click on hyperlinks.

There. I even made it even more accessible for you.

How?!

I'm aware of that awkward feeling when your character keeps taking on more and more of an existing character's traits until finally someone else in the group points it out.

Everyone I love is dead.

Not a character, but I was looking to lift the plot of Brotherhood of the Wolf for a short campaign. The problem is that even dumbed down to the base elements it's still recognizable.

>monstrous beast terrorizing the land
>occasionally makes high-profile killings, although the majority are still goatherds and farmer's daughters
>the victims are taken not for meat, but seemingly for sport, often found thrashed around and beaten against rocks
>every now and then a wound appears on the bodies that appears entirely unnatural, as if made by an iron tool or the like
>surely it cannot be the work of men, because there are survivors who clearly state that it is some beast larger than a wolf

It's a niche enough work that I don't think any of the party would recognize it, but my own sense of creativity nevertheless wants to modify the tale. Any input?

He's pretty dark by his setting's standards. Always struck me that he was foreign to wherever it is he's living

There is at least one small bit of the Joker in each of my characters. Also made a blatant ripoff of Tuco from Di Dollari. No one got the reference.

Once I did it in reverse. First time I played a Sith game I made an exact copy of Kylo Ren, 6 months before the movie came out.

moorish blood maybe, or the setting equivalent.
Or, more likely, it's just a visual design trait since he's something of a dark character already. Like how Griffith was all pale and presented as this angel-made-man for a time.

All my bards are just Red Mages

Same ice powers, forgetful memory, and tragic backstory as the Ice King; and Same mannerisms, moustache twirling, laugh, and success rate as Dastardly Dick.

One of the most complex and entertaining characters I've had in a while.

Veeky Forums is a containment website for weebs.

Except it isn't. The minority of boards and the minority of activity are from weebs. You're not relevant statistically in any way shape or form except in regards to the shitposting cancerous faggotry ruining multiple boards.

Nope. Veeky Forums was created by a massive weeb for weebs. It's like going to Gaia Online and complaining about anime.

Origin =/= current state.

Veeky Forums now is nowhere near even what it was 5 years ago, much less since its inception.

Stupid typical weebfag entitled shitposter.

It is on topic, people are talking about ttrpg characters based off. Stop complaining about anime on a site based on a japenese site, with an anime mascot, with anime banners and constant ads for japanese products.

Nice trips. Your still a cock sucker though.

You knew what you signed up for by coming here.

Which is always used as just a front to talk about the anime usually posted in the OP.

Shit's not even thinly veiled and it never has been or ever will be. Same whenever you faggots spam your shortstack or loli shit.

Look i'm posting anime shit and there's nothing you can do about it except be a little bitch.

Old Man Henderson

I have no regrets

WELL CONGRATULATIONS, YOU DERAILED THE THREAD. NOW WHAT'S THE NEXT STEP OF YOUR MASTER PLAN?

Crashing this thread..... with no survivors.

that sounds like a shitty campaign if one player is limited to talk to only one other player and making nigger noises

Had a gunner in a Star Wars game that was basically Jayne.

>white-knight faggot
>dumb pretty bitch
>intelligent nerd bitch
>stoner
>another stoner

seems legit

I've never done it, but I'd like to try to play a character based on Centorea once. No horse pussy of course, just the gap moe of a strong, brave and chivalrous knight who has zero experience with men and is both prudish and loyal to a fault.

This would probably only work in a lighthearted campaign where the other players agree to cooperate with the concept.

tiny tina is pretty much an archetype too
ed from cowboy bepop fits into the same archetype

its the basic concept of having a charakter that isnt as mighty when it comes to raw manpower but makes up for it with intelligence

SPOILER THAT SHIT YOU FUCKING DEGENERATE

I don't think I've done a 100% lift from another setting, but I've certainly based fighting styles, or personalities off established characters.

Recent one I had a lot of fun with was a character based off pic related. Sir Markus Rosewater was a half-elf Rogue/Bard hybrid that ran around dueling people with his broadsword while singing songs about how awesome he was and why the other party members should stop lazing around with gaping stomach injuries to heal them.

Technically it's off-screen so maybe the mods will allow it.

You shouldn't have any

It happens a lot. I even consider it the bread and butter of character creation: base your character in one already stablished and laugh at what actually comes out of him

some things that I ripped were Armstrong from Netal Gear Rising, a kamen rider inspired paladin and right now I'm about to play as pic related in a campaign of Dungeons the Dragoning

Chill dude its okay

>den of le ebin trolls.

I do it more often than I feel like I should. Being the complete fucking moron I am when it comes to characters, I end up ripping a few characters off.

For example, my latest character was a Bloodrager that was pretty much Raiden from Metal Gear Rising, complete with bullshit armor. Another one was Nightmare from Soulcalibur as a Barbarian with demonic taint slowly taking over his body.

Yes, I once played a Warforged fighter with one eye and a giant sword.

He was called Gears.

I'm currently playing a character (6'8" barbarian) with the naming style of Dave Ryder, and the physical appearance of Dave the Barbarian.

During one of my few Pathfinder games, I ran a punch-based Not!Kamen Rider character by the name of Justice Fist using the Aegis/Soulknife(with unarmed archetype)/Metaforge class setup. One of the few times I legitimately enjoyed playing Pathfinder.

oWoD vampire. My characters dropped the ball and clued the Sabbat into their presence while breaking the masquerade over facebook.

So they're getting the tremors brothers...
youtube.com/watch?v=waQ6K6EtoqQ

Mixed with...
youtube.com/watch?v=Cwp7APBgCsI