Warhammer Fantasy General

Warhammer Fantasy General: Skaven State Troops Edition

Thread is for discussion of WHFB, AoS and EndTimes belong in the AoS thread.

Link to last thread: Old One: >1d4chan

1d4chan.org/wiki/Category:Warhammer_Fantasy (All pages marked WF on the Veeky Forums wiki)

>Newbie Introduction to Warhammer Fantasy
mediafire.com/download/i330182xo9b1hsi/Rulebook (Hardback).pdf (Download, start reading at page 174 for the story and all the races)

>Warhammer Wikis
whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammerfb.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Wiki (Warhammer Fantasy wiki)
warhammeronline.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_Online_Wiki (Warhammer Online wiki with lots of background articles too. Also AoR is not ded: Veeky Forums for details.)

>Resources(Armybooks, Supplements, Fluff, Crunch)
pastebin.com/8rnyAa1S
www.pastebin.com/0e6RuQux
>Endhammer
1d4chan.org/wiki/Endhammer

>9th Age
the-ninth-age.com

>Total War: Warhammer
store.steampowered.com/app/364360/

>End Times: Vermintide
store.steampowered.com/app/235540/

>Mordheim: City of the Damned
store.steampowered.com/app/276810/

>Bloodbowl 2
store.steampowered.com/app/236690/

>Man O' War
store.steampowered.com/app/344240/

>Third party Miniature manufactures
pastebin.com/CvGaNyrk

>Steam group
steamcommunity.com/groups/tgwhfb

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/tgg2-light-and-darkness/description
miniaturemen.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nordland stronk!

>Not saying that the time for the last thread was ogre

missed opportunities

Reposting my 9th Age Slaanesh Daemon 2500 point list for review.

LORDS
Courtesan of Lust 455 + 95 Level 4 Wizard (Path of Lust) +15 Clawed Caress
Magic items: +35 Blissful Bindings +20 Portal Gem

HEROES
Harbinger of Lust 95 +25 BSB + 40 Level 1 Wizard (Path of Lust) +5 Paired Weapons +15 Clawed Caress
Magic items: +15 War Standard +15 Skull of Cacophrax

CORE
Sirens x30 =350 +45 Clawed Caress +30 Command
Sirens x30 =350 +45 Clawed Caress +30 Command

SPECIAL
Mounted Sirens x5= 85 +10 Clawed Caress +30 Command +10 Elusive
Mounted Sirens x5= 85 +10 Clawed Caress +30 Command +10 Elusive

Clawed Fiends x4=300 +20 Clawed Caress

RARE
Shrine of Temptation 180 +15 Lash of Lust +15 Aura of Ecstasy +15 Clawed Caress

>EndTimes belong in the AoS thread
> Links about Endhammer and Vermintide.

Legit.

You can discuss rules from End Times and all vidya.

Just not the story that transitioned Warhammer Fantasy to Age of Sigmar.

Ya thilly.

Endtimes is Warhammer fantasy. As much as people might hate it, that's not debatable.

Warhammer Endtimes is still warhammer fantasy, your own stubborn refusal to accept it as canon doesn't change anything. Endtimes is still characters and locations on the warhammer world, and if you were to discuss it in AoS threads its be off topic. Most of the characters from AoS are nothing like their warhammer counterparts. I'm allowed to talk about the endtimes (and how shitty most of it was) in the warhammer fantasy General, and your opinion doesn't mean shit to me or to what is canon

Wow. You seem like an awfully pissy bitch for the start of a thread and my first reply to you.

You gotta understand that talking about End Times is the same as bringing up Michael Bay Transformers in a Transformers thread. Or a Uwe Boll movie in a thread about a video game.

Sure you can do it. But you will never get a positive response, and should know that.

I don't know. I'd try to put in a few more troops personally. But that's just my thing, I always go upgrade/character light. Not saying it is better.

Something like pic related.

Everything I stayed is objective fact, your opinion doesnt get to decide that endtimes isn't canon or off topic to Warhammer fantasy

I don't think anyone talks about the endtimes as being good, myself included. The only times endtimes comes up is when we talk about the few good parts of it, or alternate versions of it, or how it could have been better. And yet even in conversation discussing one of those things some asshat will roll up and shout "endtimes belongs in the AoS thread"

It's also objectively the worst fluff that GW has ever written that wasn't written by Black Library.

Someone didn't read storm of chaos

I did read Storm of Chaos. It was better than the End Times, that somehow manages to be more contrived than an event that was randomised by the playerbase.

Entimes started off good then got progressively shittier as the story went along

Nagash was pretty good, the character deaths actually felt serious, the plot hadn't gone full retard yet, and everyone at this point still had a chance. The War of the Dead actually seemed like both sides had a chance, even up until the point Settra and Nagash fought. How Nagash was able to win actually made sense and didn't seem like wank. 8/10 overall

Glottkin was meh, it could have been better if they let the empire go down swinging instead of blowing out their major cities with the super plagues. Also sucked that they let their new characters do all the heavy lifting while older, established characters took a back seat. The ending was great though, it seemed like the Human nations and their gods were ready to strike back and actually make it an interesting fight to the end. Especially liked Louen and Karl Franz Ascending to Godhood
6.5/10

Khaine shit all over everything ever established for elves, even in their 8th edition fluff which tied directly into it. This is why everyone hated the end times and it should be ignored almost entirely.
2/10 only reread for cool battle scenes and art

Thanquol ranged between moments of excellence and moments of complete retardedness. Most of the lizardmen scenes were cool and thats the most fluff we ever got on them. Hated how the skaven plagues were able to overrun lustria so fast though, this place withstood centuries of drowning in daemons and conditions far worse than the end times, Lustria should have put up a better fight. Loved the dwarf story lines up until Karak Kadrin goes down without a fight, and Thorgrim gets assassinated after leading the dwarfs to an epic comeback. Everything relating to the empire sucked, especially considering the end of Glottkin.
5/10 for bad ends

So drop a lot of command and the Armor Piercing for more troops?

I was thinking since Slaaneshi are fast that they'll deal enough casualties to make up for less troops by increasing damage output.

Well yeah, but bringing up End Times really is like Uwe Boll movies. Its that terrible thing that killed the franchise, so nobody ever wants to even remember it in conversation.

Its like bringing up Chaos Dwarfs to Dawi. You'll just get glared at, at best.

I remember that I didn't like Nagash either. I found that big volume to be ridicilously dull to sit down and read. 90% of the book read like dull battlereports with no adequat overview of the battlefield.

>then the skeletons killed some clanrats
>some stormvermin kills some zombies
>Mannfred casts a spell
>Skaven gets upset spell kills stuff

That thing felt like a major ripoff.

That's because Storm didn't end anything, and didn't try to force 30 years of continuity into the same amount of writing the backstory for a faction has.

The only way End Times could have been "good" is if 7th and 8th, and a Black Library series of 10 books at least were dedicated just to the entire transition. Every army book progresses the story.

Instead, we got a very rushed mess that was only intended to make us forget about our existing thing and follow the story to a whole new game like a cat and a laser pointer.

Chaos Dwarves was not actually a bad concept. I rather like the idea of dwarves that are not grudgefags and Chaos that doesn't worship any of the big four to be pretty cool.

Storm of Chaos had a great setup and only fell appart during the campaign and when Gav Thorpe summed up the ending.

>he only way End Times could have been "good" is if 7th and 8th, and a Black Library series of 10 books at least were dedicated just to the entire transition. Every army book progresses the story.
this exactly. We sort of got this in the high elves and vampire counts books, but it still wasn't enough. one of the worst parts is how rushed everything felt and how much got left out of the story. Adding just what reynolds wrote on his blog improves the endtimes dramatically by filling in most of the blanks.

No, like in-universe. Dwarfs love grumbling about how everyone is Chaos except them and when Chaos Darfs are mentioned they look at you like the gay Black Mexican Jew at a Klan rally.

Mentioning End Times in a Fantasy thread is like reminding Dwarfs that are talking about how Chaos humans are about Chaos Dwarfs, causing them all to immediately hate your guts.

Vampire Counts and High Elves are the two books that lead directly into End Times.

Reminder that Gav a shit.

Oh yeah. They do get their panties in a twist about that. I can't say that I ever liked mainstream dorf culture in Warhammer, though. They are a bit daft. Kinda like the Imperium in 40k.

Really?
They're my favorite Dwarfs after Warcraft Dwarves.
To each their own I guess.

Although its worth mention that aside from the Slann and Dark Elves fucking them over, Dwarfs had the most stable society and potentially long lasting in Warhammer.

Not really. Most of the dwarves hatred of everyone is simply them getting fucked over getting tired of it and then bitch smacking said offenders

No, their culture and race demand payback from being shortchanged a penny to a remark about their breath you forget a minute after making it. Farting, forgetting to pull up a chair for them, anything concievably rude or insulting gets added to the mental list. They remember all of it. They're also surly, and universally racist/sexist/everything else-ist against everyone.

But they also remember kindness and their own debt, on an individual basis will become best friends with literally anyone, and their belief everyone else is inferior is just (unendingly) verbal, they don't use it for policy and decision making.

Dwarfs in Warhammer are basically Fey Dwarves.

Assistance needed in picking an army for T9A. I've narrowed it down to 2:

> Dwarf Holds
Gyrospam with 4-6 'Copters and 2 Grudge Busters. Get some spear phalanx to fill Core, Rangers out scouting, and a strong Slayer presence for fightiness. Basically all of my favourite Dwarfy bits.
Concerned about stigma where Dwarfs are not fun to fight against. Concerned that I'll still be too static and unable to react, or that I'll be playing on 'easy mode'.

> Goblins
Pure Goblins with a strong chariot/war machine theme. Core pulls out ~100 Goblin fighters plus wolf support, a good 8+ chariots and pump wagons, and then squigs, trolls and giants to fill.
Probably better conversion opportunities and look really cool. Options to expand into Orcs later down the line.
Concerned that it'll be weak as shit if I deliberately cut out Orcs. Pain in the arse to convert everything, tried O&G before in 7th edition without much success.

I come from a Beastman background so it's only uphill really.

I just don't like how easily triggered WHFB dwarves are, their inefficency with developing and how over the top self assertive they are.

My favourite dorfs are the Trudvang dorfs. They are less about beer drinking machismo, turbo greed and grudgehurt. Their thing is that they love the mountain and consider themselves to be a part of the mountain. To them everything in the mountain has a soul and they treat that soul with care. Much like earthworms they dig in the mountains to allow life to flourish in it and they also remove what they view as impurities. The other races view the dwarves as greedy because they refuse to sell their fine craftsmanship, but the dwarves simply has another view of he material. To them the ore is a part of the mountain that has specific destiny awaiting it. So they are reluctant to part with their craftsmanship to just anyone.

Whenever volcanic activity forms a new mountain the dwarves travel to the site. With them they bring stones containing wellwishes and hopes for the infant mountain that they part with to the lava.

>47927473
Nigga stop being a cunt and just accept what the thread is made out to be.

Make an End Times thread if you want to talk about the endtimes, don't shitpost.

>I don't think anyone talks about the endtimes as being good, myself included. The only times endtimes comes up is when we talk about the few good parts of it, or alternate versions of it, or how it could have been better. And yet even in conversation discussing one of those things some asshat will roll up and shout "endtimes belongs in the AoS thread"
The point was discussed in the last thread.
If the End Times lore brings something unique and untouched to the table then talk about it.

If you're using End Times lore to contradict previous lore then that's when you stray into the wrong.

If you want to talk about Glotkin or the rise of Nagash then do so; but don't use shitty half-assed End Times lore to argue a point against established Warhammer-proper fluff.

Ya dig senpai?

Dwarfs are not fun opponents because of cannon spam and the DAF.
The more melee, the more fun to play against. The less you plan on turtling in one place, the more fun to play against. The weakness of any offensive Dorf melee is part of why they had to play that way, but 9th made it so that's viable now. Not to mention actually being able to cross the board now.
The worst Dwarf opponent is just super durable infantry, and as many guns and cannons and choppahs as you can fit staying in one place and daring you to come to them.
Just by even bringing a unit of Slayers and not being Dorfpoleon, your list becomes average fun against.

Goblins are actually pretty damn good, I'm not familiar with the 9th version of the army but generally speaking everything Night Goblin was gold star in 8e with only Savage Orcs and the Black Orc Warboss for Animosity, maybe a Shaman Orc, being worth the time of a WAAC player.

On a related note, how do I fluff Neferata on Dread Abyssal the closest in 9th? Do they need to be on a different base?

>how do I fluff Neferata on Dread Abyssal the closest in 9th?
>fluff
Do you mean like backstory?

Just have her be powerful enough to summon one.

>Goblins are actually pretty damn good, I'm not familiar with the 9th version of the army but generally speaking everything Night Goblin was gold star in 8e

The goblin races are balanced really good against each other to the point where I'm taking one unit of each whereas I went all night goblins in 8th.

You get a killy/offensive choice in forest goblins due to their poison attacks, a defensive choice in night goblins due to pseudo-toughness 4 and a middle-gound/allrounder option in normal goblins (sorta killy with nasty gits, sorta tanky with 5+ armour, huge flexibility with unique bow/shield combo).

Crunch I mean, sorry.

>sexist
Since when are dwarves sexist let alone warhammer dwarves

Their females are forbidden from literally everything other than the extremely rare advisor position.

Grudge of Drong is the most glaring example, I can't remember the supplement that went into detail about their gender relations though.

To elaborate, only one in ten Dwarfs is female and their racial temperment is one of fighting over stupid shit or adhering to oaths by the letter.

So political marriage is absolutely necessary for their race to not tear itself apart.

So like Krogan and Salarians from Mass Effect, their internal politics all revolve around clans uniting, forging bonds, or reforging bonds by sharing blood through political marriage and females are too rare to use for literally anything else.

All domestic jobs are done by male Dwarfs, females can only be living treaties who may spend their time giving speeches and opinions since that puts them at 0 risk.

I liked the dwarves better before they started turning them into the steampunk faction that rejects anything wooden in favour of metal, because fuck logistics.

Lamia vampire lady on monstrous revenant.

REMINDER THAT TGG2 ENDS ANY DAY NOW, SHIPS OUT AS SOON AS IT DOES.

GET IN, GET DARK ELVES/DARK ELDAR/SLAANESH DAEMONS/SISTERS OF BATTLE/SISTERS OF SIGMAR CHEAPER.

kickstarter.com/projects/loudnraging/tgg2-light-and-darkness/description

How is anything i said shit posting? And for the record I don't even want to talk about the endtimes, I'm just sick of people thinking that just because they don't like it it isn't canon and that its AoS. i wouldn't have even bothered mentioning the endtimes if this wasn't the attitude.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to use endtimes lore to trump established warhammer lore ever, except for the "Malekith did nothing wrong" shitposters we had to deal with a few months ago

Ugh, I'm still so pissed about that.

I mean how can they miss the point so much? Its like saying Sigvald was the hero the Empire needed and deserved because Sigmar said so.

He's wrong, he's horrible, he's a fucking dumbass, and that's his appeal.

>How is anything i said shit posting?
When the thread specifically states, "this thread is for x and not y" and then you try to argue about why you should be able to talk about "y" then it is shitposting.

It's like going into a DnD 4e thread and complaining about why the thread states the it's only about 4e and not Dragonlance.
The issue is continuity and deciding what's proper lore and what's not.

For the purpose of the original post of this thread we are acting like ET didn't happen when it comes to lore arguments.

Make an End Times thread to talk about how End Times lore supersedes previous lore.

Make a Dragonlance thread if you want to talk about how Dragonlance should have been included in 4e.

As has already been stated speaking about EndTimes is fine along the same lines as headcanon and fanfiction.
But for the purpose of this thread it's not to be held above previous lore.

But NeferataxArkhan is still canon, right?

>I don't think I've ever seen anyone try to use endtimes lore to trump established warhammer lore ever,
A couple threads ago there was a dude that was unironically stating that Archaon was the main character of Warhammer Fantasy.

He based this off of asspulled ET lore and AoS stuff.
That's the only one I remember.

>But NeferataxArkhan is still canon, right?
If you want it to be senpai.
It's something that wasn't touched on before and doesn't contradict anything.

Hell, in my headcanon Vlad and Isabella are still alive and the elector count/countess of Stirland.

Actually, Neferata's own novel had them in live. He still had skin then, too.

>He still had skin then, too.
Makes it cuter.

I'm pretty sure that is just Carnac. He is autistic, so you should probably just ignore everything he says.

Who said I was trying to use endtimes to trump previous lore? All I said was that endtimes is part of warhammer and isn't AoS. That is objective fact, and Ignoring endtimes is as easy as turning back the clock a couple of years. I hate most of endtimes after Glottkin, and I love the 8ed setting. I myself ignore all of Khaine, and the Archaon wank.

So can someone please explain just why on earth AoS happened? From a corporate standpoint I mean.

>WHFB not selling that well compared to company's other offerings
>I know, we need to reboot it and add space marines like in our other game to make it sell
>Having good rules and a setting with a sense of scale doesn't exist in our other offering anyways, so let's just throw those out
Remember, no market research and proud

Fantasy hadn't sold well in years.
Not worth continuing as it was.
One last hurrah with End Times to calculate how interested people were.
Remade it as an "easily accessible" game with very simple rules so they could sell to new players, while printing whole swathes of simple new models with high prices to drain more money out of the old dogs who will buy anything.

WHFB didn't sell enough miniatures to justify GW's continued investment. GW deduced that the problem was that the price of WHFB was too hefty for the average customer to get into and that the rules was too intimidating. I'm not sure why they decided to make AoS a turbo plebe setting, but I guess GW thought that their consumers has shit taste?

Seriously? And yet they made total war: warhammer? that could have gotten heaps of people in, just like dawn of war did. But it can't now!

I think that Total Warhammer was announced around 2012 or something. It's entierly possible that Age of Sigmar was not planned out yet.

I actually got into WHFB because of older Total War games giving me a fetish for line battles. Hopefully they can sideline AoS like they did with LotR and we can all forget that this ever happened.

1) Comicbook logic, issue #1 will by default outsell issue #2-anything so by rebooting periodically even without changing much you create artificial interest in what is actually the same old shit.
2) The more things can be used in either 40k and not-40k, the more sales. If Blood Angels players want Sigmarines for bits or Dark Elf players want Dark Eldar for bits you get more profit. So by making the two more similar, more sales.
3) Chapterhouse. EVERYTHING must have a name that can be a trademark, nothing must ever be shown that is not a model for sale in art or described in depth in a story.
4) They believe video game sales compete with model sales, but licensing their IP results in all profit with no cost of production or effort. So having a defunct Warhammer IP can be a profit.
5) The writers and sculptirs don't like Fantasy as much.
6) Fantasy is more grounded, but the money is in large crazy kits. With a setting jacked up to 12, nobody will blink at a 100 foot tall mount for a small evil warlord.
7) When you don't have a concrete timeline for the entire setting with a measurement of time, any maps that cover an entire plane or planet, or anything but the vaguest prophesies you can literally make up anything any time with no planning.

Off topic, this belongs in the AoS thread

:(

I dunno, bashing AoS and GW is pretty on-topic.

>Who said I was trying to use endtimes to trump previous lore?
Nobody.
Everybody is just telling you the meaning of the statement in the OP.

People here don't care if you talk about the End Times as long as it's not the basis of a fluff argument ala

>WHFB was too hefty for the average customer
A ha...hm....

Has anyone had any experience with these miniatures?
miniaturemen.com/
I really like the style and sculpting.
A bit too pricy for me but it's rumoured that they'll soon start a dwarf themed kickstarter.

I'd love myself some cow-boy looking dwarfs

AUD or NZD?

The good ol' US of A

what gets me is the 3 khorne guys for $90 they're literally chaos warrior size only their wide stances make them sit on 40mm bases

Yep.

But in a game with no balance, that's an army.

They figured the average Warhammer player would prefer to get far less for their money if they have to spend less overall.

I didn't say that GW was smart about it.

>The good ol' US of A

Well, if the UK leaves the EU the pound is expected to plummet against the dollar, making it actually somewhat cheaper even with shipping.

>tfw nobody warned me that vermintide was basically multiplayer only

This sucks, I thought I'd be able to sneak around by myself doing cool shit.

Even if you go completely single player you've still got retarded bots that get stuck in holes.

Someone please tell me Mordheim is better?

YES! After a decade of ogling forgeworld my time has come! Now if only there was actually something I wanted/needed

I think it's decent. It can get a little repetitive though.

>Vermintide has better reviews
>vermintide is kinda shit

>Mordheim has worse reviews
>Mordheim is actually really good and reminds me of the tabletop

Y tho?
Did GW play any part in the production of any of these games?

The pound just dropped 11%. 60% of the vote in, dead even.

No. GW rents licenses, at best provides a list of things they can't do.

Also, I like Vermintide and Mordheim's reviews come from the estimated chance system being almost entirely inaccurate. People get buttmad about that for some reason.

One thing, always bring command

We have the luminark of Hysh and the celestial hurricanum as arcane battle altars, do you think the other colleges have similar warmachines? I would think at least the Bright wizards and Gold Wozards would have developed something along these lines. What do you think the Battle Altars of the other colleges would be like, both fluff and crunch?

Playing dread elves in 9th age and I seem to be consistently crushed by the local empire player, so does anyone have any advise for me?

whats yer list

In light of the British Pound's value dipping amidst the Brexit vote, is now a good time to stock up on Warhammer before GW has a chance to adjust their prices? It's probably been about a year since I last bought any models.

Sucks to be Brit. When GW raises prices, they tend to give everyone an increase.

That being said it only really matters if you can somehow buy from the Brit site and get it shipped to your location, since buying from them defaults to the local currency. 'murricans will still be paying the same dollar price for example.

Anyone know a good way to take advantage of it?

The dip in currency is just the bankers throwing a fit over not getting their way. Eventually they will have to come back to the table and act like adults. Until then, it would be great if we could figure out a way to take advantage of the lower exchange rate while it lasts

Dread prince
-elven horse
-shield
-ogre sword
-dragon scale helm
Talisman of supreme shielding
-heavy armour
-repeater crossbow

Oracle lvl2 shadow magic
Oracle lvl2 black magic + dispel scroll

10 repeater auxiliary with shields and a musician x2

Dread knights with champion x2

Hydra with alpha predator

This was for 1000 points, I wanted to have a highly mobile army, with crossbow men to harass and hold the line, while the dread knights and hydra outflanked.

>The dip in currency is just the bankers throwing a fit over not getting their way.
No, its a reaction to the fact that dealing with England is now going to get a lot more expensive with the EU as trade tariffs kick in, paperwork compliance becomes an absolute clusterfuck, and as a result the economy of England shrinks slightly.

It probably won't get worse, but it won't be getting any better.

So is gelts face made of gold or is he just wearing a tight mask? How can he even speak?

He has a mask, but his face may also be gold underneath.
It's a bit of what he said and partly the fear of what you said. It will probably still blow over eventually when people stop panicking.

He had an accident involving a golden explosion, and ever since then he hasn't been seen without his mask or robes. Some suspect he is horribly scarred, others suspect he turned into gold. My own head canon says his skin turned to gold after the accident and he refuses to be seen without his mask in fear of the imperials accusing him of heresy

Reynolds answered this on his blog, i think he said the Fire one was pulled by ceramic horses and set everything around it on fire/gave the unit it was attached to flaming attacks, while the shadow one was ethereal and created a pall of darkness that was impossible to see through and sucked in anything that got too close. Gold one spat out alchemical ammo at random, and the Death one was a statue of Morr that severed souls from the material world and was really effective against the undead. I believe there were none for the jade wizards and beast wizards since they aren't really tech savy

Would consider the mounts available to beast wizards to be an equivalent of this.

Hey guys, now that Forgeworld is going under, what Fantasy Forgeworld stuff should I get?

Which monsters were good? Is any 40k stuff useful in Fantasy?

I basically have between a 0.5k-4k force of everything except Lizardmen, Brets, Warriors, and Beasts.

Bump.

Did Angland sink into the sea or something?

Yeah, it has become a modern day Atlantis after brexit.

Is David Cameron going to be the first king of Gondor?

Who is Sauron?