Nicol Bolas Edition

Nicol Bolas Edition

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

Other urls found in this thread:

magiccards.info/query?q=mana=1r pow=2 tou=2&v=card&s=cname
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Old card, older dragon

>Creature
>Planeswalker frame, loyalty, and abilities

aka no subject edition good job!

Does your set have RoE levels of ramp/a major subfocus of massive mana costs? If no, I'd say scrap these. (but they are cool. Why some ally and others enemy tho?)

Draftability, from left to right

>final few passes, probably makes the deck if I didn't draft a glut of good creatures
>Pick if pack has no bombs, a piker's a piker.
>Last pick, would hate to play it
>Last pick, would never play it
>Picking early if I'm committing to aggro, otherwise picking if pack has no bombs. 3 power trades well.

Made this card to rep myself.
Thoughts?

>to rep myself
>counter target colored spell
fuckin' racist.

Well grixis has access to gold tokens in my set. The set is more going tall then most sets, but not to a ROE/BFZ amount.

The split is for different cycles for each color pairs.

Scrap some of the abilities and rework them or up the power level slightly?

8 mana is a lot and you need significant ramp/durdle to accommodate them. Ramping with just gold tokens for Invokers is probably not a good idea.

Also, don't use loot as your keyword. It's already part of mtg jargon and people will interpret it to mean something else.

Reposting this for consideration. Got some feedback that convinced me to tweak the original design.

I'd honestly change the first ability to something more interactive, like an attack trigger. Make his reckless combattery inspire the mercs with Vanishing around him to stick around:

"Whenever ~ attacks, choose any number of creatures you control with counters on them, then give each another counter of a kind already there."

Or something like that. Attack trigger Proliferate, basically.

I'm honestly not sure I like gold tokens in blue, since blue can make mana, but usually only for artifacts and maybe creature abilities at most. Card seems balanced otherwise though. I think it'd be a better red card with a loot into two Gold tokens, but that's just me.

The counter ability is too good; it is a super cheap counter that will hit 90% of what gets played, easily. It doesn't even require a tap.

>spellshaper
My nigga. Seems pretty okay to me, but 3 damage on demand might be a bit much, even at 3 mana. It depends on the environment it's in, really.

Not really a fan of super-expensive PWs, or Nicol Bolas, but this seems like something he'd do/be. I dunno about becoming a creature though; I feel like "going Gideon" isn't something he'd do since it'd kinda be a step backwards to before his spark ignited, and I can't see him relishing that idea.

I agree with the other user; some of these are very underwhelming. Alheim is okay, but could probably also grant trample. Sungrove is way overcosted; I think you could to three tokens for 8 here. Willbrine could do two counters without too much worry, I think, and Vongas is just... really disappointing. Add some life loss or something maybe? Sidron is actually pretty good, to be honest. Good way to end the game some of the time, and vicious against token strategies, which BR should be hating on anyway.

Ran out of room to comment about my card wall.

So, first iteration of red is ready for critique. I have some concerns, but I'm sure they'll get ironed out easily enough with some input. Firewild started as an uncommon and should probably go back to being one, but I stuck it in common because maybe it'll work, and I used the uncommon slot for Writhing Flame, which probably needs adjustment. I was thinking of making it 1RR. Battle-Tempered probably needs to be 2R, but I also have need of more cheap spells, so I pushed it a little. Red is feeling a little pricey, but it's fast at least when you do cast stuff. I feel the haste stacking kinda fits with the Madness theme, or at least I hope it does. I could also move Scag Trekker to common; it originally was but I was worried about complexity so I moved it. It was also 1/1 when it was common, but maybe it could be a piker for 1R at common? Not too sure.

As always, any feedback/critique is appreciated, and I apologize to those of you on mobile for the wall o' cards.

>Delerium Lash
>A spell that literally does nothing
w o w.

also it is broken out the ass. Like seriously broken. Vintage playable broken.

I was trying to do Madness Fling. I'm sure you guessed that though, by your spoilers. It's really that bad?

>Turn two Flame Rift
>Turn three Delirium Lash discarding Draco to the face
>It's really that bad?
Do you even need to ask?

for comparison, this card is banned in Modern.

Hm, point. This is what I get for attempting to be clever. I'll get rid of it. I can use that slot to do something cheap instead.

I dunno why I thought a card that could fling an Eldrazi from your hand was a good idea. It's a good thing I don't work at WotC, ain't it.

What if I made it where you could discard X cards and Delirium Lash would deal damage equal to the number of cards discarded instead? That'd be a lot less dangerous for starters.

If you wanted that it has to be rare. A design like that is pretty much unheard of & ridiculous in the common slot.

And then people would probably complain that it is a really shit rare & just use like I'dunno Crater's Claws instead of it or something.

also just wanna mention how much I love Shoal combo what even was Wizards thinking

Point once more. I'll just toss the concept. No big deal, I wasn't really attached to it. Firewild is mai waifu. I usually have a lot of trouble doing stuff for red because I always want to try new things for it, and expand what it can do, but I am not that great a designer (never have been) and I usually end up doing what I just did at least once.

Fervant Tantsor should add two mana to be on par with BTE.

Cindertamer should have firebreathing rather than shade ability. You can buff its base toughness.

Mangy Lion I would rather have check defending player for damage, but any opponent also works.

Erratic Impulse - have the draw-a-card come before the impulse draw. It's also not very good and could cost 1R.

Unnerving Strike should have up-to-one-target on the black kicker so you can still burn players on an empty board.

Delirium Lash - Fling at least asks that you get your big creature on the board first.

Just have Battle-Tempered give it a power bonus if its attacking.

Impulse Forger - either refer to "the exiled card" or "cards exiled with ~" for clarity.

Memory Flood is cool. I really like it.

Writhing Flame is pushed. Either more mana or sac at end of turn. It's a neat concept though.

Fever Pitch I like.

Scag Trekker is really pushed and if anything, needs to be upped to rare or to lose one of its abilities.

Thanks for the feedback, user.

>Tantsor
I was concerned that since the mana was of any color, and BTE is uncommon, that two mana would be way too good.

>Cindertamer
You are right, I dunno why I did that. 1/2 or 1/3?

>Mangy Lion
Functional reprint of Bloodcrazed Goblin. I could change it but that'd make it a touch worse.

>Erratic Impulse
Madness cost stays the same though?

>Delirium Lash
Going far, far away.

>Battle-Tempered
replaced the blocker burn with a +1/+0. It was probably too cheap anyway for what it was.

>Impulse Forger
They use all kinds of different wording for impulse draw when they refer to the cards. Went with "that card" to mirror Abbot.

>Memory Flood
Thanks, I really like it a lot too.

>Writing Flame
So 1RR then? I kinda figured.

>Fever Pitch
It gets a lot of love. I'm glad.

>Scag Trekker
Yeah? Huh. I wouldn't have thought. Well, I guess with Madness in the set it's kinda good, yeah. I dunno about wanting it at rare, so I'll either have to change it or think of something.

I like this. It's clever.

Is this supposed to be interesting because red doesn't typically get bears without them costing RR? Or is this part of a greater set? You do have a symbol, after all.

I mean they're invokers. Even with good limited ramp strategy they are not particularly powerful cards.

You have them at common, they're probably fine as is for a draft format. Some cards have to be dregs.

It's just a subtle joke about how every red 2/2 creature with a 1R casting cost has a downside attached to it. magiccards.info/query?q=mana=1r pow=2 tou=2&v=card&s=cname

I just made up a symbol because I think just having a square is ugly.

Speaking of jokes, I made this as a joke a while ago, but I still think it would work.

What would this card cost for each color?

That's actually a fantastic way of handling dual lands in my opinion.

I imagine 6-7, considering it's a spell and not an actual creature.

I designed it in a kick trying to experiment with known mechanics on foreign card types. Surprisingly it's both useful and strong for how simple it is.

WUBRG if you want it for each color, looking at Fusion Elemental

I had a feeling the flavor text was a clue. I guess I was right.

Not bad. Could be done with a counter instead of the DFC but I like DFCs because counters can get muddled.

This if you mean five color ; otherwise, for each color:

>G
6 is probably fine if it's color-heavy; 7 if not.
>W
Probably shouldn't be doing it, since it's the antithesis of what white does, but if it did, it would be some kind of Avatar, and probably not be vanilla. It'd have some other effect/thematic thing and be 8-9.
>R
Saccing a bunch of mountains. Like, all of them. Untapped.
>U
No.
>B
Similar to white, but with a downside attached as well as the aforementioned additional effect/trinket text. If the downside is large enough, 6 or so. If it's not that big a deal, 7-8, color-heavy.

>U
>No.
uh...
leviathan

Color doesn't determine how much something costs bruh. A color either has something or it doesn't.

I guess there's Reef Worm. But blue does not typically, and really should not, be making huge ass tokens. That's really green and maybe black's gig, with red along for the ride and white when it's thematic.

I'm almost done writing a program that automatically rips card data from online based off names and creates a MSE set using the High res template

would this interest anyone?

my usage of it is going to be to quickly set up high quality proxies that I can have printed out

this sounds like an awesome program desu

I probably wouldn't use it personally but it sounds great.

Would this be uncommon, or rare?

Rare, most likely. Only because you can easily use black discard to make it cost 3.

Blue is like the second color for huge ass beat sticks, way more than white and red. For creatures 8/8 and bigger, there are 23 green, 15 blue, 9 black, 4 red, and only 1 white.

Might be interesting as a "Titanic Illusion" sort of thing, with the standard "sac when targeted" illusion problem.

people mentioned that they weren't super excited about the BUG faction rare and I noticed that I didn't have a leviathan yet so I tried something.

>token
You forgot this part. It's kind of important. But this debate is also kind of pointless because we already know blue CAN do big tokens via Reef Worm, and all I am arguing is that, from my point of view, that card is atypical and blue is not the best color to be doing it. Really, only green should be.

Hm. I kinda like this idea, even if I don't think Blue typically has any business making tokens that big. I'd be fine with it.

>token
So it's okay if it's a blue 8/8 flash creature, but not a blue instant that makes a 8/8 token? By that logic, it can't even be green since green does not get instant spells that make tokens that big.

Not a Black effect, should be WG.

I'm not too sure why this is so important to you, changing my opinion, but sure, okay, you win, I guess?

Good. Hopefully this keeps you from spouting more bullshit in the future.

Only if you promise to do the same. Also, you didn't win.

I've actually tested the combo a lot in modern and if it wasn't for the artificial turn 4 rule it could totally be unbanned.

Make it exile all creature cards from all graveyards instead for colour reasons.
Flat exile from graveyards is white, exiling creatures is GB.
Great card otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to find a suitable fix for the invokers.

As for gold, I'll move it out of blue again and see what else I can do to make it go tall.

As for loot it's name does need to change. (probably this mechanic as well.)

You don't need the "then" on the cantrip.

Augment 2 (This creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each time its augment cost was paid.)

>Make his reckless combattery inspire
He's not reckless, though. He's enduring. Persistent. Plus, I have that idea covered in the red rares.

Not sure what you're getting at here, man. Devoted Druid, nor any cards like it, are in the set. Infinite mana generated by two fragile creatures, one of them 5cmc, is in no way gamebreaking, either.

"fragile" is irrelevant. You can activate their abilities in response to any removal used on them.

"Infinite mana........Is in no way gamebreaking, either."

riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Pili-Pala + Grand Architect doesn't seem to be tearing through the modern meta. Also, again, Devoted Druid isn't in the set. I'm designing for limited. Synergy outside of that is not something that overly concerns me, beyond average power level card comparisons.

Super dead thread.

Why is this Black?

Because it hits creatures.

I hope the wording on this is correct.

Yeah, but in a way that is really White.

What part is really white?

I think its "no cards in hand" instead of "an empty hand".

The part where it's overlapping with Exclusion Ritual.

This.
It's basically an Oblivion Ring with some extra "can't cast" restrictions, which are categorically white.

Ah, right

Not him, but while both black and white can exile creatures, thus is an enchantment, which is a more white way to do it, and it creates a silence effect which is also white, so the entire thing feels way more WU than UB.

Circu and Alhammarret have similar effects in BU and U respectively. Additionally, the card exiled is never returned, making it quite a bit different from an O-Ring effect.

>Additionally, the card exiled is never returned, making it quite a bit different from an O-Ring effect.

Again, Exclusion Ritual.

The existence of the effect in white does not limit it to that color, especially when examples of similar effects in other colors exist.

It's not about the existence of the effect, it's about the prevalence.

There are a lot more cards with the same overall effects as in White than there are in Black.

When someone asks "Why is this Black?" in this instance, you need a reason for why you're going against the normal color placement for these effects. It's technically doable in Black, but the question remains "Why are you choosing to do this in Black when it is typically a White effect?"

WU is more creature oriented in my set. It mostly focuses on tokens, tokens-matter stuff, and ETB effects. UB is much more control-oriented, and is where an effect like this meshes the best.

As for prevalence, I would not have this effect in these colors below rare.

Thought about making him just "Brion Stoutarm, Ascended," but I love this art and it doesn't look like Brion

Is... Is that a giant that flings giants?

Also, how broken is pic related?

It's shit.

Helpful.

It needs to be colored. Otherwise, what's the point of it being a commander. With a deck built around it, it's ability is strong enough that it could maybe even be WUBRG. That way it's kinda rough to cast, and you can superfriends to your heart's content. I would play the shit out of a 5-color Xytht Superfriends EDH deck.

You are paying at least 7 mana for MAYBE getting another Planeswalker, except yours is at 2 loyalty and doesn't do anything useful on the first turn.
I'd play this maybe if it was 1 or 2 mana and my meta was VERY Planeswalker heavy, and maybe not even then. It's shit.

On mobile atm so here's a card idea I made up based on an alternate universe Innistrad

>Witch Hunter of the Fells
>2RW
>Creature - Human Knight
>Haste
>When ~ or another human enters the battlefield, put a 1/1 red and white Human creature token with haste onto the battlefield.
>At the beginning of each upkeep, if two or more spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
>2/2
Transforms into
>Purifier of the Fells
>Creature - Human Knight
>First Strike
>At the beginning of each combat phase, destroy target non-Human creature with toughness less than or equal to the number of Human creatures you control.
>At the beginning of each upkeep, if no spells were cast last turn, transform ~.
>3/4

My stab at the impossible dream.

"Contraption" is an Artifact subtype, and the Assemble ability's CR definition has some extra verbiage to make Steamflogger Boss work even though a card in hand isn't a Contraption until it hits the battlefield.

I'd probably make it a 6-drop. Otherwise, nice.

>Incurable (This can't be exiled, returned to its owner's hand, or put into a library from the battlefield.)

What do you think about this as a mechanic?

>Get an incurable creature on the field
>Make it indestructible & hexproof
>It can never leave the battlefield

I think you should save it for another set and come up with something else appropriately UB.

So don't make it a creature mechanic

sac effects

dumb. it's hardly going to come up and not worth keywording.

>dumb. it's hardly going to come up and not worth keywording.
I guess you and Wizard R&D disagree on that
> I wouldn't be surprised to see it or something like it someday.

Self-tutoring cards: will it ever be a good idea?

>Would "incurable" (from today's article, in particular the "can't be exiled" part) have finally FINALLY given creatures a way to survive being sacrificed or reduced to 0 toughness, when combined with Rest in Peace? (Go to exile instead of the graveyard, oops, can't be exiled, guess I'll just hang around here on the field whistles) Or did you think of an answer to that problem?
>One might observe that incurable didn’t make it to print. I definitely thought of an answer to a problem.

Fixed and thank you.

Gaining mana to play with is really outside Blue's wheelhouse.

blue seems to get it, but only if there is a heavy restriction on what you can spend the mana on

Mana only for instants and sorceries is not a heavy enough restriction.