Precipitation

Veeky Forums, how would you go about making a Risk of Rain game? System, setting, campaign plot, etc. What do you think would be the best approach?

Also, Risk of Rain slash weird sci-fi art dump.

>crew of a freighter
>crash on an alien planet
>escape pods separated from the ship, unable to get distress signal out
>survive against ever-more-powerful creatures while discovering secrets of native alien life while you try to get to the wreckage so you can maybe, just maybe, make it out alive
>end up fighting a powerful alien being that caused the freighter to crash in the first place

Could be fun as a general framework, but the DM would have to do a lot of heavy lifting. Risk of Rain's lore is not exactly that campaign-filling.

I had an idea about making a game where [player] arrives later, after the Survivor lost against providence. Now [player] has to figure the story out unknowing of the full dangers of the planet.

Perhaps it be good for a one shot?

always thought the boss was human?

Is there really so little pull for a sci-fi setting like risk of rain? Perhaps I am just daydreaming.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

Providence is pretty much a physical god, lore-wise.

What is there about lore? I know only what the game has shown

To be fair, there isn't a huge amount of lore to work with.

>Planet's inhabitants are peaceful until you show up
>A bunch of the UES Contact Light's cargo was stolen from the planet
>Providence is pissed and probably the one motivating the creatures on the planet to attack you

The monster logs and item descriptions, also some rampant fan speculation

I read all the logs I got (haven't 100% it yet, shame on me), but never heard mention of Providence's motivations or involvement, besides his brief appearance in the opening.

That seems like enough of a setting to kickstart a good campaign, I say. Perhaps make it interstellar, steal a bit from FTL. A quest like that might take traction I think.

One theory is that Providence was worried that people would use the stolen teleporter on the ship to stage an invasion in the future, so he teleported from the planet and forced the Contact Light down.

By far my favourite character.

I'm a Bandit man, myself, but Acrid's one I used to play a lot

Never managed to score a game with it. Always my fault.
It drives me up the walls.

That is cash. I certainly can use that.

Huntress and mercenary all the way, albeit bandit took my virginity.

I can't believe I have 82 hours in this game

Loader 4 lyfe

Acrid was my favourite for ages, then I tried the Mercenary. Once you get him down he's a blast.

But anyway, a Risk of Rain setting/system would be hard, I think. I know multiplayer is a thing, but canonically it's a sole survivor, and I feel that fits the theme better; One man/woman/bot/thing against a death planet and its god. The loneliness and hopelessness felt pretty central to the game, based off of item and enemy logs, so making it party based might detract from that.
But that's just my take on it.

Over 150.

How are you supposed to win in multiplayer? Items aren't shared between the players so it's really easy to have neither player be able to survive.

That is a valid take, I respect and agree wholeheartedly to that opinion.
That's why I was planning to turn it into a Quest. What if the lone survivor lost? Who would be sent to check on Contact Light?
Things like that.

Have the "pick whatever item you want" artifact activated. Makes it absurdly easy to cheese builds.

Communication, for one, and not having a dickbag partner who steals all the loot for himself. Artifacts like Command and Glass also make things easier because you can just pick an Infusion with your first uncommon drop to overcome the pitiful starting health from Glass, but you get the other benefit of greatly increased damage. Command's also great because you can actually choose which items you get (Commando's broken if you go for an attack speed and crit build, and you can spam Bandit's 4th ability to one-shot most things for a good chunk of the game)

And this is literally my last pic

I love this fuckin game

>This is GREAT! The circus is just as GOOD as I hoped it to be; it is a dream come true! I'm so GLAD that I followed my dream. I love you; tell mom too. Tell her...
>I'm happy! I'M HAPPY! SEE! I SAID I'M HAPPY PLEASE DON'T

Is the enforcer still horrible?

yup
But you can do pretty absurd things, as long as there is no vagrant and you get at the very least two feathers.

Talk to your partner, recognize that the character you pick determines which items are going to be given to who. Try not to pick the same character.

Here I thought the enforcer got better. Beaten the game with him handedly.