WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YrP6o3QmJ30
liquitex.com/airbrushmedium/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm the guy new to painting who was asking about airbrush the other day.

Looks like the mail man came early

I want a new librarian with a force sword and inferno pistol. Turmiel just got volunteered!

I was watching a video on how to make bismuth crystals, then i got the idea to make a xeno terrain with bismuth. Or really, just add bismuth to my game in some way in general
Ideas Veeky Forums?

next up: cleaning up sloppy transitions and overbrushing, ombre effect on sail (god help me), and finally painting the gunner and pilot

anyone have pictures of modified Knight heads?

Final model for a Kill Team. Thinking about another shade of red at the top. Good idea or bad idea?

Daemons of Tzeentch or chaos-themed terrain/ovjectives might be neat.

Made a scenic board for my buddies Jakob Lynch crew for Malifaux, It gave me an excuse to play around with glowing effects with my airbrush. He wanted it darker than what I would have normally done in the end but I still think it looks good. What do you guys think?

Looks breddy good, although maybe one more highlight of the green on the lower part of the glow projecting onto the objects submerged in goo.

That would be pretty cool. What would a Tzeenth/chaos themed terrain look like. I'm not entirely sure it would fit a tyranid army, but, its an idea.
at least i think i'll stick to nids. i'm still at a point where i could switch main armies without loosing much

>What would a Tzeenth/chaos themed terrain look like

Skyrim's Apocrypha realm is pretty good. It's creepy structures made out of scrolls and books with black water and tentacles everywhere. But it's green and black instead of blue and purple.

If I hadn't specifically been told to make it a little darker than Moot green I would definitely do another pass on it. Glad others like it though. Gonna do something similar for my Nurgle stuff soon.

On another note I'm rebasing my slaanesh stuff, I'm gonna make it look like they are walking across a treasure horde with several miniatures chopped up to look like statues among the coins and plunder. Can anyone think of some good weapons, cups, chests, crowns ect that I should get to throw on these piles?

assuming i could get the bismuth at the right temperature to get it to turn a proper dark blue and purple, that could be pretty easily achieved. In fact with some buildings added in I might be able to make a Tzeenth corrupted town

Bump for suggestions.

Nice bro. I got the same one at hobby lobby with a 40% off coupon.

If 40k, make up some servitor looking corpses because anyone wealthy enough for a treasure room should have some

nothing special, just working on a magnetized Russ

Lovely shade of green. Are you going to add highlights? I kind of like it like this too

What's the best GW paint to use for dirty bone?

Used to justr have bleached bone buy now there's a fair bit more, spread in layers, bases ect.

why thanks... its just castellan green airbrushed

there is a light dry brush of loren forest, but i suppose its hard to see on camera

Yeah, the lights in your surrounding area are not very bright so it's not easy to see. If you have any light to aim at the surrounding area it should be easier to capture more detail. Don't point any directly at the model though. Keep us updated!

Please understand

nice, I snagged mine on ebay for right about 100 after shipping

what

almost done: now only decals, sponsons, weapons

nice bib m8

what effect are you trying to achieve here?

Hey all, got some warzone stuff to share with you today. I'm gearing up to run a demo table at a local convention so I'm(finally) getting some paint on my Dark Legion and finishing off my Imperials. I'm about 5 hours in on the Dark Legion forces thus far, numbering 20 undead legionnaires, 10 necromutants, 4 necromutant squad commanders, 2 razides, and a nepharite commanding the lot of them. Probably going to add more as time permits me, probably more support choices(more razides and preatorians) for people to jump in and take control of if there's enough interested who want to play.

I've also got some piccies of my Bauhaus Blitzers HMG, so you'll see a couple angles of him too, might post Imperials tomorrow, though it's just highlights and definition to their trench cloaks, nothing fancy.

Feeling pretty chuffed, this will be my first convention event all on my own, I'm normally assisting one of the other demo guys.

This'll be doubly good since there'll be two of the biggest vendors in the country at the show both of which stocking warzone, so maybe finally some more people here will get into the game. Though that'll hinge on me not being a massive fucking sperg.

Hobby talk, I'm feeling like I'm stalled on what to do to define the armour plates on my necromutants, I got a solid idea on how to do their flesh and cloth, but that armour is a tricky one, I want it to look worn and cobbled together like out of old armour panneling roughly beaten into shape and strapped to mutants before they're thrown into the field. I was thinking rust, but maybe going an extra mile on the effect. Thoughts anyone?

Aiii you really should've filled the gaps, especially the ones where the arms connect

Finally here's the Nepharite, the big bad commander of the assaulting force of the Dark Legion, same trouble with his armour as with the necromutants, was also considering giving him glowing eyes. I was considering a sickly yellow for that but want to know what else would look good against his red skin.

Yeah, I'll have to go back and do that, no mistake, it needs to be done.

Fellow BA player here, I really like this conversion.

Did you shave off the pauldron on his sword arm or did you replace the arm entirely, I cant tell from the picture? If it was the former, was it hard?

Other than that he's looking pretty great, there's only a few bits of Dark Angels iconography left on him that irk me but that's easy to fix.

These all look pretty nice so far, I like their skin. As a fan of Mutant Chronicles though, I find the over-the-top designs look strange with modern/competent sculpting

Do you mean "strange-bad" or "strange-but-I-could-get-used-to-this"?

If anything I think the necromuntants aren't over the top enough, I'd like to see some strange mutant appendages(tentacles, spines, claws, etc) spread around the unit members, but not too much, they're only 5 models to the box after all.

Oh that's very nice

First spray down using airbrush.

I noticed that depending how far away I am and how much I pull back on the trigger I either end up painting in a way where the paint is instantly dried, or I can leave a wet coat.

Is one preferred over the other?

assembling a Ghost Ark... Ive never seen so many pieces in a plastic kit before.
It's going to take hours and hours to clip all this shit, clean and file all this down. it'll probably take all day... fuck

A wet coat means you layed down a thicker coat that needs more time to dry. It also depends on the paint consistency, additives used, room temperature and more. As long as the paint doesn't pool, it doesn't matter much. There is a trick you can do to make the coat dry faster, use the airbrush to blow air like a blowdryer.
I also recomend you to watch some videos about airbrush control and practice a bit with exercises like these ones:

youtube.com/watch?v=YrP6o3QmJ30

For the eyes you could go yellow and you would have a pretty balanced scheme, otherwise green for contrast on red. For the armours you could just make them more worn by adding some decolored lines and parts,like if paint was scratched away Also maybe colour some parts with different colours to make those parts not belong to the armour, as if they were different pieces just strapped there

That wave serpent looks tight. Is that preshading (painting green over a varied base coat) or are you highlighting with a lighter green?

For blends, add a little retarder to the mix so you can spray more colors and let them wetblend

This isn't really a /wip/ as I just finished it but I thought I'd share these photos I took of my Space Marine Scouts from the Lost Patrol game.

moar because moar

Heavy Bolter guy

I bet there's a genestealer or something lurking in this fucked up jungle....

One more for cutting through the jungle...

The big ass purity zeal on his chest looks wonky, otherwise nice.

Very shallow depth of focus. Now to remember how the fuck you fixed that. Move away a bit and then crop the image IIRC. And you have a lot of noise and general fuzziness, so resize things down a bit too while you're at it. (For both problems, the ideal solution is probably to use an actual camera to take the photograph, but...) I rather like the general setup though, so making the photography match up should be well worth it.

I was going for max bokeh because I was trolling /p/ and they've infected my mind. I wanted it to be blurry to add to the feeling of them being lost in the jungle.

Tried preshading, looked like shit. Then repainted it using a "dark" green and highlighted it using lighter coats of green. I don't really like the final result, it needs far more contrast. The darkest green should be darker. The crevices should be full black. The extreme highlights should be brigther and more visible.
I don't usually paint big models like this one, much less using an airbrush, I need to learn the trick to make them pop.

That looks fucking amazing bro. Great work. You should be proud of that!

Never stop being critical of your own work though, that's how you GIT GUD.

I feel you, it could have been better, but stop whining, either do it again or accept how it came out

If you want a shallower depth of field, you set for a lower f stop. And you can decrease noise by setting the iso for the lighting, but you'd want a luxometer to determine that.

Yeah dw bro I know. I appreciate the tips. I wanted it to look spooky jungle like. I probably should have taken a few clear ones for Veeky Forums to judge the actual painting.

I used to love the photos like these you'd see in white dwarf. They got me into the hobby...I love the idea of these miniature worlds...I wish I had some dry ice or something to make it extra spoopy.

Also if you don't have Lost Patrol you guys should get it, it's pretty fun.

One last close encounter of the blurred kind for the road.

very clean, good job

They're just regular genestealers and scouts though. I'd rather download the rules and make some excessive terrain myself.

Your blood angels came out real nice, love the terrain too! You only get to bring one squad? I play black templars so I have like 80 neophytes.

>Your blood angels came out real nice, love the terrain too!
Thanks bro.

>You only get to bring one squad? I play black templars so I have like 80 neophytes.
It's not really traditional 40k. You lose a LOT playing as the scout team. You've basically got to make it through a randomly generated jungle to find a drop pod, all the while harrased by genestealers. Shit gets rough reallllll fast. Very fun though!

Can you choose your weapons?

>5 man flamer squad huehuehue

lol nah it doesn't really matter. Only the heavy and sergeant get you any bonuses.

So basically you can have up to 3 genestealers to a tile. Each one gets you 2 points. Scout player rolls a dice and needs to beat that number of points. Scout player gets +1 for sergeant, +1 for heavy one tile across, and -1 for lone scout, etc, in close combat.

Scouts get 2 AP per scout per turn to either move or shoot. If you shoot you need a 6 to kill a genestealer.

Genestealers get 3 AP total per turn to either move, spawn genestealer or infest. Then they get an assault phase with the rules listed above.

If scouts make it to the drop pod they win. Which is harrdddd.

I was kind of hoping for some CLICKETY CLACK COMBAT SHOTGUN IN YO FACE action but it sounds intense

You've got to use your imagination for the shotgun part but yeah it is fucking intense. Last game I played my guys got fucking mazed at the drop zone and there was only one way out, and spent the entire game trapped in tangleweed fighting genestealers until only the heavy remained....he died with honor - on the drop zone!

it's for fantasy/AoS

Finished a HH world eaters kytan.

No effect, just early stages of a fade paintjob.

Dank.

why the fuck is this a pdf?

So, I need to buy a bear mini

and put a cape on it

Recommendations?

>Did you shave off the pauldron on his sword arm or did you replace the arm entirely, I cant tell from the picture? If it was the former, was it hard?

The arm is almost entirely replaced. The hand, sword, and the psychic conduit tubes are all that remain of the original.

because GW thought it was a good idea

Anyone ever had issues with superglue going bad?

My superglue's gone all thick and jelly like and it seems pretty hit or miss whether it actually glues shit.

did you leave it uncapped?

So why perpetuate stupid ideas? This took 3 seconds.

Because I'm not GW. Now if you'll excuse me I must be off wot work the corner so I can afford the plastic crack.

Nope, cap on and all, but it's been a while since i used it last, standing in my....

Well fuck, just realized it's been on my windowsill the past 6 months.

Guess I know what to pad my next wargame order to free delivery point with.

>So why perpetuate stupid ideas?

In that case, try to get some bits from the empire wizards and that giant planetary model chariot thing as well as crystals and gold coins and such.

Magic tomes should be especially valuable I recon.

It's obviously outstanding. Only thing i don't like are the chains, they look a little bit too clean to me. Some brigher highlights could help, or maybe some rust effects.

Needs a bit of church, but great model otherwise

How hard are tyranids to paint?

Some damn good advice, mate, thanks a lot!

Not particularly hard. The sweeping majority of Nids have similar model design (chitin plates, sinewy flailing limbs, snarling maw) so if anything, keeping a consistent look is easy, and becomes habit after painting a couple models. Look up everything you can about painting models to resemble organic material. Nids are kitbasher's heaven too, look up technical materials and guides to make slime and ooze.

that sounds cool i might pick some up after i finish my Blood Angels.

Saw guide to getting better photo of model. Gave it a shot to get feedback. Picked more recent paint work. Any tips on improving?

The pic is great, although some people maybe australians aren't gonna be ok with the res.
Try focusing on the center of the mini, right now the focus is on Khorne's symbol.

Well, except for the plating everything is really bright. A darker metal would have looked better with the light bone I think.

It just lacks a bit of color and contrast in my opinion. Nothing really stands out except for his pants. For example, his loincloth could be a deep red with dark khorne symbols.

A few washes on the skulls to give some depth.
Some highlighting on his face to make it stand out more, and some rust/oxide on the metals.
And obviously a base.
It's prett good though.

Here's the first model from my new Tzeentch sub-army.

It's good. Smooth even coats, adequately thinned paints, excellent brush control.

What it needs is some highlighting and shading. Pretty much all the colors look flat. It looks like you've done a little, but it's way too subtle. Go bigger and more cartoony with your highlights and shades.

Take a look at (nice work by the way, user). The difference between the lightest and darkest shades on the skin is extreme, and the feathers are pretty dramatic too. It really makes it pop. OK yes, it's a daemon, and you might want to be a little more subtle on human flesh, but really not too much.

The flames make no sense, their core should be almost white with some colored edges. Fire is brightest at the center at any rate.

Scibor has some marine sized bears

Maybe a slightly darker background, regular brown cardboard works well and doesn't give quite the glare.

chaos fire

Not him, but chaos or not it would look better with a little white line i think.

The tongue could use more contrast with the surrounding colors. A bright blue maybe? The eyes are lost as well.

Hey guys. Ide hate to be a bother, but a couple days ago, I asked what would be the normal craft store version of this shit. Some nice user said it was some kind of flow or thinner and to buy liquitex. There are a ton of products though and the dude at Michael's had no idea. Would anyone know what exactly the liquitex equivalent of this product is?

liquitex.com/airbrushmedium/
There is one called airbrush medium, any reason not to go for this one?

Thanks. I really appreciate it. And thanks to the user from the other day.